Bugs

JF - retired RRT

What do they do when an infestation is reported in a cabin? Change out mattresses, sofa cushions? Fumigate with something really nasty? How long does the cabin have to stay out of service? Any danger for adjoining cabins?

Entire cabin has to be stripped (bedding/curtains). Everything bagged and washed/treated.

Cabin sealed and fumigated. Usually out for at least 24 hours.

There is always worry of cross contamination. Especially through the vacuum and other things carried by Stewart from one cabin to another. There is extra training they receive.

Good thing you said something right away and was moved. Bed bugs are becoming more and more common even in 5 star hotels all over the world. The only way to completely get rid of them in an area is to kill them with high heat or extreme cold. They have been reported on various cruise lines.

Good thing you said something right away and was moved. Bed bugs are becoming more and more common even in 5 star hotels all over the world. The only way to completely get rid of them in an area is to kill them with high heat or extreme cold. They have been reported on various cruise lines.

This is not good news. We are boarding on Jan 20 to start the world cruise. Hopefully it is not bed bugs, although you are hearing about them more often.i guess if it isn't the stomach bug, it's bed bugs! Aileen and Graham.

This is not good news. We are boarding on Jan 20 to start the world cruise. Hopefully it is not bed bugs, although you are hearing about them more often.i guess if it isn't the stomach bug, it's bed bugs! Aileen and Graham.

enjoy your cruise!! Bugs are taking over the world!!

I would not expect more. The ship is a victim, too. There is no practical way for them to detect and eliminate infestations in every case. Unfortunately this means that passengers end up becoming the detection mechanism… So they may offer you something as a gesture of sympathy, or as cruzsnooze suggested, some free medical attention, but in my opinion, nothing in the way of compensation is to be expected/asked for.

The only ones who really owe you anything are the people who will be occupying that cabin on the next cruise. They owe you a big thank you!

Also, do not bring your suitcases inside the house when you get home after the cruise!

Man that's crazy, the ship is a victim? U bet they owe you something. Your not paying to get into a filthy room. sorry just saying

Just for general information, they don't fumigate much anymore. The stuff that works best against bedbugs is not very human friendly in quantities needed.

The preferred method is a heat treatment where hi powered heaters are used to raise the temp inside the entire room to 125 degrees for 30 mins or so, which will kill the bugs and their eggs, along with a replacement and hot wash of all fabric goods. If possible, mattresses and box springs will be sealed and removed for a period of at least 2 weeks, after which time any bugs and their spawn will most likely be dead (no food source).

Entire cabin has to be stripped (bedding/curtains). Everything bagged and washed/treated.

Cabin sealed and fumigated. Usually out for at least 24 hours.

There is always worry of cross contamination. Especially through the vacuum and other things carried by Stewart from one cabin to another. There is extra training they receive.

Just for general information, they don't fumigate much anymore. The stuff that works best against bedbugs is not very human friendly in quantities needed.

The preferred method is a heat treatment where hi powered heaters are used to raise the temp inside the entire room to 125 degrees for 30 mins or so, which will kill the bugs and their eggs, along with a replacement and hot wash of all fabric goods. If possible, mattresses and box springs will be sealed and removed for a period of at least 2 weeks, after which time any bugs and their spawn will most likely be dead (no food source).

Yes, heat is the best method. Linens and curtains will be "red bagged" and washed in the special medical washing machines, carpet and upholstery will be steam cleaned.

Yes, Cruz - we were provided with a tube of Cortisone and were charged for it!! After we complained, the charge was dropped.:eek:

That was tacky of them to charge you. I prefer Benedryl for itching, it works better.

Are you now free from the problem and the have the bites healed?

Ive always wandered what happens if bed bugs a discovered on a full cruise when there are no cabins to move into.

Anyone knows?

I've been on cruises that were reported out a "full." On one of those, we had a cabin issue. The "engineer" was in the room for all of one afternoon, and the problem recurred as soon as the steward turned down the beds...Next day, Mr. Fix It was again in the room most of the day. When the problem happened again that night, I was at Guest Services. They said that the cabin could not be properly repaired till the ship was at its home port and that they would move us to another cabin. I questioned this in view of the "full" ship. They said that there are always a few cabins left empty so that they are available in situations like this. They said that they cannot always put a guest in the same category cabin, but that there is always a place they can be moved to, even on a "fully booked" cruise.

Obviously, different cruise lines may have different policies.

Edited by moki'smommy

Correct, sometimes these are cabins that may have note been available on embarkation day due to an issue, but were dealt with and now ready to go (for example). Side note, if you find yourself getting a random upgrade 2 days or less before sailing, its usually due to your original cabin being out of service or a cascade effect from a cabin lower down where someone got bumped into yours.

I've been on cruises that were reported out a "full." On one of those' date=' we had a cabin issue. The "engineer" was in the room for all of one afternoon, and the problem recurred as soon as the steward turned down the beds...Next day, Mr. Fix It was again in the room most of the day. When the problem happened again that night, I was at Guest Services. They said that the cabin could not be properly repaired till the ship was at its home port and that they would move us to another cabin. I questioned this in view of the "full" ship. They said that there are always a few cabins left empty so that they are available in situations like this. They said that they cannot always put a guest in the same category cabin, but that there is always a place they can be moved to, even on a "fully booked" cruise.

Obviously, different cruise lines may have different policies.[/quote']

Correct, sometimes these are cabins that may have note been available on embarkation day due to an issue, but were dealt with and now ready to go (for example). Side note, if you find yourself getting a random upgrade 2 days or less before sailing, its usually due to your original cabin being out of service or a cascade effect from a cabin lower down where someone got bumped into yours.

There are passenger cabins held out of inventory onboard.

Contractors

Entertainers

Etc

There are passenger cabins held out of inventory onboard.

Contractors

Entertainers

Etc

Yes, there are at least 6 cabins on deck 6 (where they moved us). We are now in 6044 which isn't shown on the deck plans at all.

There is already someone else in our old cabin...hope they got all the critters.:rolleyes:

That was tacky of them to charge you. I prefer Benedryl for itching, it works better.

Are you now free from the problem and the have the bites healed?

FELLOW CCers: Thanks for all the concern & sympathy.

No new bug bites and all healed up. It appears to have definitely been bed bugs. I looked at some pix on the net.

Still trying to get a refund for the cream they "gave" us. One PAX services rep and one supervisor in housekeeping said "yes, refund" and it still shows on our folio. I'll keep pushing.

Yes, there are at least 6 cabins on deck 6 (where they moved us). We are now in 6044 which isn't shown on the deck plans at all.

There is already someone else in our old cabin...hope they got all the critters.:rolleyes:

FELLOW CCers: Thanks for all the concern & sympathy.

No new bug bites and all healed up. It appears to have definitely been bed bugs. I looked at some pix on the net.

Still trying to get a refund for the cream they "gave" us. One PAX services rep and one supervisor in housekeeping said "yes, refund" and it still shows on our folio. I'll keep pushing.

Yes, I was going to mention (but forgot) the fact that some are not on the deck plans. ;)

I have to admit coming home with bed bugs is probably one of my worst travel nightmares.

Good information about freezing the suitcases. I have an empty freezer in the basement I guess I could turn on, remove the shelves, and carefully carry one suitcase at a time through the house to put it in.

Then again, I think it would be smarter just to buy new luggage. :)

We take the large, heavy duty contractor type garbage bags to put our suitcases IN before we shove them under the bed. It helps to ensure, God forbid, we deal with anything like this should bedbugs be present.

Just a possible safety precaution since most of us take that suitcase and throw it up on the bed to unpack from.

We take the large, heavy duty contractor type garbage bags to put our suitcases IN before we shove them under the bed. It helps to ensure, God forbid, we deal with anything like this should bedbugs be present.

Just a possible safety precaution since most of us take that suitcase and throw it up on the bed to unpack from.

Great idea

Do all the people who take special precautions after a cruise do the same thing after a stay in a motel room? I would think it's easier to get bed bugs from a land based room then a cruise ship.

In a motel we never lay any of our luggage on the floor. They go on the luggage rack or the dresser or whatever flat, no fabric surface that they will fit on.

On a cruise, we very often store the large pieces under the bed as I suspect many people do. From now on I think they will stand in the closet :)

I spray the highly-toxic Permethrin on my luggage before a trip. Not recommended if you have cats.

Agreeing with others, bed bugs can come from anywhere, tour bus, train, airplane overhead.

Once I found one crawling INTO my luggage at a hotel. Luckily, I got the heck out of there and didn't bring any home with me. Now, every room gets inspected thoroughly before I even bring my luggage inside.