Millennium advice please

Little Nell

We are considering doing an Alaskan itinerary on the Millennium in 2017. I am apprehensive about doing so, having read some less than positive comments about the condition of the ship and the food.

People are saying the ship is tired, that carpets in cabins are threadbare or soiled and the bathrooms are in need of some TLC.

Comments about the Infinity are more positive and we can be flexible about our dates. I don't want to go on a ship that we would be not be happy with and having sailed on Infinity a couple of years ago would be happy to go back on her but our preferred itinerary and date are on the Millennium.

I believe Millennium is due a refurb. How extensive is this likely to be?

We are considering doing an Alaskan itinerary on the Millennium in 2017. I am apprehensive about doing so, having read some less than positive comments about the condition of the ship and the food.

People are saying the ship is tired, that carpets in cabins are threadbare or soiled and the bathrooms are in need of some TLC.

Comments about the Infinity are more positive and we can be flexible about our dates. I don't want to go on a ship that we would be not be happy with and having sailed on Infinity a couple of years ago would be happy to go back on her but our preferred itinerary and date are on the Millennium.

I am interested in this too. I just booked the Millennium for an Alaskan itinerary because the price was so great (<$500 base cruise fare) for a 7 night northbound.

I noticed on CC's refurb list that only Infinity and Summit are listed. Is the Millennium not getting one?

The millennium is so rusty that you don't dare lean on the rails...and the carpet, or what used to be the carpet is actually greasy from wear. Their food was put on the ship just after the last refurb and has been in cold storage since...and the kitchen staff was picked up at a discount from a local restaurant that just went out of business. Does that sum up what some would have you believe??

It's not a rust bucket with thread bare seating and swanson TV dinners...it's a very nice ship as are all the m-class ships. Yes, they are all older and you will find areas that are not pristine....just as you would in any hotel over a year old. Celebrity service is uniformly excellent...their food, although sometimes variable, just like your local restaurant, is generally better than the other mass market cruise lines and so on.

I wouldn't worry about the condition of the ship...it's fine. If you are one of those folks who walks into your cabin, puts on your white gloves and checks to see if any of the surfaces like the top bookshelf are clean....don't go on any cruise ship. If you want a wonderful cruise to an exciting area...pick any celebrity ship with an itinerary you like....and just ignore which ship it's on.

We were on Millie on the Japan and China cruise 25 October. We have cruised on Solstice, Infinity and Constellation as well. Like Infinity and Connie, Millie does show her age a bit.

However, we did not see a tired, rundown ship. I once worked on a tugboat when I was 19 years old and believe me, steel and saltwater equals rust. You will see some rust spots here and there, and an occasional carpet that need replacing, but nothing out of line. We love the M class ships and continue to cruise them.

We are booked on Millie for Alaska this May and have NO WORRIES about her condition. She will be coming out of a dry dock shortly before that and we have never had a bad experience on any of the M class ships. Book the cruise you want to take :D

People are saying the ship is tired, that carpets in cabins are threadbare or soiled and the bathrooms are in need of some TLC

I was on the Millenium for this Christmas Asian-cruise and the condition on the ship was almost perfect. Nothing to complain about.

A older ship means here no slides, climbing wall and so on......

My cabin was also in very good shape.

About the food;

The breakfastbuffeet on deck 10;

The food was very good.

Some lines.

A litttle bit of waiting for bar-service.

The mdr;

The food surpised me!

It was was very good, or very, very good every day!

After the first day we noticed that ordering 2 starters should be done because of size.

Barservice was fast.

Almost no lines.

Roomservice was a little bit slow.

Some times 30 minutes to wait.

The food was very good.

Thank you for your reassuring comments everyone.

We are not looking for glitz and water slides which is one of the reasons we love Celebrity but were just concerned by reviews.

There are other options out there but we would prefer to go with Celebrity.

• 3 weeks later...

Just off the Milli after a Singapore & Malysia Cruise in Aqua Class. Will do a full report soon. But this is my impression. The Ship does need some TLC but overall not in bad shape. Aqua Cabin Deck 11 rear, first impression was okay again needed some TLC but very quickly we noticed the lack of cleaning, stains everywhere stain on Sofa there all week. Pop Corn box on balcony ( dropped from Deck 12 above ) all day. Toiletries not replaced daily. Bedding not replaced. No Daily Water ( previously reported on the boards ) daily flavored tea, as advertised. Fruit in cabin remained there all week. Shower seal broken. On disembarkation during our own double check found two pairs of shoes under the bed ( previous occupants??). With the exception of Blu and Entertainment staff all other staff members looked down troden didn't / wouldn't engage even with a Hello. Ocean View Cafe total and utter disgrace and absolute shambles.

As you can see not a good experience. :mad::mad:

Just off the Milli after a Singapore & Malysia Cruise in Aqua Class. Will do a full report soon. But this is my impression. The Ship does need some TLC but overall not in bad shape. Aqua Cabin Deck 11 rear, first impression was okay again needed some TLC but very quickly we noticed the lack of cleaning, stains everywhere stain on Sofa there all week. Pop Corn box on balcony ( dropped from Deck 12 above ) all day. Toiletries not replaced daily. Bedding not replaced. No Daily Water ( previously reported on the boards ) daily flavored tea, as advertised. Fruit in cabin remained there all week. Shower seal broken. On disembarkation during our own double check found two pairs of shoes under the bed ( previous occupants??). With the exception of Blu and Entertainment staff all other staff members looked down troden didn't / wouldn't engage even with a Hello. Ocean View Cafe total and utter disgrace and absolute shambles.

So sorry you had a poor experience. How did housekeeping respond to your complaints on board? Did they clean the sofa, change your attendant?

Wow, what a disappointment for you. So different from our experience in December/January just gone.

I haven't reviewed our trip so far but this is because I'm still a bit wound up about the experience of travelling with a family member that I'd rather left at home.

My only disappointment was the MDR with its old fashioned and very pedestrian menu selections that had me eating in the Oceanview Cafe in preference. As the menu is company wide my issue is not Millennium specific.

I probably need to untwist my knickers about the family issue and write a review of our trip to even up the negatives in the review list.

We spent 14 days on Millennium in January. Overall the ship was very nice and we saw no rust, stained carpets, etc.

We were in 7140 (a Celebrity suite). The room was very dated but not shabby. The bathroom, however, was a real shock. It was so old-fashioned and was desperately in need of replacing. The shower was one of the hand-held variety over the bath. The bath had a whirlpool (which we never used) but the step into it was really high. Anyone slightly immobile would find it difficult to access. The room and bathroom were kept very clean by our steward, Elisa, and her assistant, Tim. Full marks to both.

The major disappointment for us regarding the room was the lack of basic amenities. There was no clock, no magnifying / shaving mirror and no bathroom vanity packs. We thought there would be enhanced bathroom products (not so) and the towels and face cloths were thin and, on occasions, had holes in them :eek:. The face cloths turned grey when they were wet!

Despite this, we really enjoyed the ship - there were plenty of activities for those who wanted them, the entertainment we saw was very good, the staff were all very pleasant.

This was our first Celebrity cruise and I wouldn't hesitate to go on Millennium again - if the bathroom was replaced :D.

We were on Millie last year in Alaska. I can't vouch for the MDR food, because we had ultimate dining....which was superb, as was the service in the Olympic, where we ate most of our meals.

However, our cabin staff was attentive and everything was kept top-knotch. We didn't notice anything threadbare or old looking.

The staff, in general, was very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful.

Example...at sailaway, the rear deck was obviously crowded, and there was nowhere to sit. A bartender inside, came out with chairs and offered them to those of us who were looking for a seat. This bit of attention to passenger comfort was exhibited throughout.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

We are also just back from Millenium sailing in Asia. I would agree with others that the ship does need some tlc in places . Ships balcony was rusty and the shower was mouldy in places. The most disappointing thing in the cabin was the bed. It was as usual two singles put together but a very flimsy cover over them so the gap was clearly felt. Never had this in 12 cruises. Pillows were not good either. Food in ocean view was very average with nowhere near as much choice as we were used to. MDR select dining was too crowded , tables on top of each other and queues to get in even with reservations. Olympic speciality restaurant was outstanding but according to staff it will be replaced by Tuscan Grille at the next dry dock. Such a shame. Public areas and bars were still good although the solarium could do with new loungers. We have done S class ships and Millie & Infinity and my preference is S class. We took this cruise for the itinerary alone.

I got off the Millennium on the 5th February after short cruise to Malaysia and Thailand. Not sure I was even on the same ship as some people.

What I found was an excellent condition ship. I had a perfectly kitted out cabin, pillows etc. I didn't expect a clock, so I took my own on my wrist. I don't recall seeing any rust other than when we tendered at Phuket and below the waterline it looked to be in need of some scubbing down. That was basically it fault wise.

There were water marks on almost every piece of glass on balcony and terraces, but then I'd expect nothing less consider it is a ship sailing on the sea 24/7.

The buffet was busy with people most of the time, however that would have a lot to do with high proportion of Asian travellers who I guess, much prefer to look at what they are choosing rather than the at the times, woeful English being used to describe dishes on the main restaurant menu. I am a native English speaker and I struggled on some descriptions to my partner who is not a native speaker and thought it all gobbledeegook. I was impressed with the buffet and ate there a couple of times, especially when we just fancied something simple like a salad.

As for lounges and public areas I was seriously impressed. I do not recall seeing any stained armchairs or other signs of damage. Overall, superb condition IMHO.

Service from everyone I encountered was also top notch. By the way, I have high expectations of service especially as it pertains to Asia. Having lived and worked here as regional head of sales for the AP region, I have spent 18 years living out of suitcases for 200+ nights a year while being granted the privilege of staying in 5* hotels and flying business/first class wherever I went. When you get used to that high touch lifestyle in Asia, you do notice when it drops and I never gave the service a 2nd thought. Which is how it should be.

To my mind the ship is in excellent condition and with an excellent team onboard. However that is just my personal take from a week ago.

Edited by livingasia

Wow, what a disappointment for you. So different from our experience in December/January just gone.

I haven't reviewed our trip so far but this is because I'm still a bit wound up about the experience of travelling with a family member that I'd rather left at home.

My only disappointment was the MDR with its old fashioned and very pedestrian menu selections that had me eating in the Oceanview Cafe in preference. As the menu is company wide my issue is not Millennium specific.

I probably need to untwist my knickers about the family issue and write a review of our trip to even up the negatives in the review list.

Yes, please do, Jacinta :). I'm waiting patiently for your review :D.

Unfortunately, many comments about the condition of Celebrity's ships are very subjective, according to your prior experiences. Having said that, I am very concerned about going on the Millie, even after dry doc. All of my previous experiences with Celebrity have been on "S" class ships in Europe. I am so spoiled with that particular class and venue! However, my DH wants to return to Alaska and just do a three-day tour and 7-day sailing. I always do the tour planning for us, but he wants to just try three guided days this time. Hopefully, we won't regret it. I am a little down about the Tuscan Grill, as it is my very least favorite. Finally, I do plan to take things in stride and not go "crazy" comparing the different classes of ships. It is what it is; we booked onboard, got all 4 perks, along with tons of OBC. Life is very good and too short to complain about every little thing!

Edited by Lastdance

We were on the Millennium to Alaska last May and loved it. Beautiful ship and well taken care of despite her age. Great cabin, loved the beautiful main dining room, lounges, deck space etc. Really cant think of anything to complain about and would definitely sail on her again. My only complaint about all the M class ships is the Oceanview cafe. It's clean and well run and the food is fine but I really hate the layout, with the long buffet rather than separate freestanding stations. A bit like a cafeteria. Other than that, I can't fault her.

Also on B2B Millennium, Asia Itinerary 01/03/16 to 01/30/16. We have 34 Celebrity Cruises under our belts and have been on Millennium 4X previously and every other Celebrity ship at least once, except Reflection. On doing a cursory check of Millennium reviews over the last year, it has more negative comments than any Celebrity ship. I would attribute that to its age - the oldest in Celebrity's Fleet.

There are a couple of other negative comments that seem to me to be fleet wide and reflective of what I might term culture changes coming down from Corporate in a highly competitive and cost conscious/publically traded/profit motivated industry. There are less staff doing the same amount of work. In my opinion Celebrity still delivers in the X-cellent service department which has characterized Celebrity since Chandris first launched the company. I suspect that is because of great leadership by senior officers and staff in each of the departments. Celebrity grows its leadership and it is not uncommon to see managers with 15-25 years of service. It can be a career if you choose to advance yourself and, from what I have heard from managers, the opportunities are there.

Food quality in all venues except the specialty restaurants has declined but it is still well beyond acceptable and my view is that it remains one of the best aspects of Celebrity cruises when you read about or experience, first hand, the others. The only comparable line, in terms of food quality, that I have experienced is Oceana and they are a bit pricier when you get down to comparing price per day per person. In order to maintain quality in the Specialty Restaurants, prices have sky rocketed. When we first tried Murano/Olympic/SS United States, maybe 10 years ago when these were introduced on M class ships there was a $25 surcharge PP. It's up to $75 now at retail. You can down price it by bundling a specialty restaurant package when you board or waiting for specials which are demand driven. If diners aren't coming, they'll lower the prices. Just ask they don't always make a point of it although Qsine is generally underutilized, you'll see staff walking around asking you to come at a reduced price (ask) and it is a really fun venue. Specialty Restaurants are highly recommended because they are fun (Qsine, table for 6 or more) and have very high quality food and 5 star service with a flair.

You can tell that corporate is trying to squeeze dollars out of our pockets by up-selling Suites, Concierge and Aqua Class cabins then offering complicated perks. I received a letter recently about X's newest ships coming along in 2018. The CEO remarked in it that X is building ships to "appeal to the more affluent cruiser who demands a first class experience' and, of course, is not concerned about spending a lot of money to get it. Corporate knows there are dollars to go after in the cruise industry and they are, not unforgivably, going after them.

Particular to M class ships are tight quarters in the Ocean View Buffet and the way the buffet is laid out leaves a lot to be desired. The Solstice or S class ships fixed that. It is, however, entirely negotiable once you get the hang of where the masses are going and what time they are dining; you just go opposite them or places they don't go. As well, as already commented, Corporate made a decision to cram two other dining venues (Blue and now Luminae) into the Metropolitan Dinning Room space. It works and from what I have heard, Suite passengers and Aqua Class passengers, like the dining venues with, perhaps somewhat more attentive service but the same food quality as every where else - beyond just acceptable and by a good margin.

My personal opinion is that for the price of a suite, I can do two cruises in an OV cabin and still get the perks. That's how I roll. Comments I have heard from Aqua and Concierge class is that the amenities are generally not worth the extra price. However, to each his own.

The best comment I've read in this thread is pick the Celebrity itinerary you want and you won't be disappointed when going in with an open mind and recognition that Millinnium is an older ship, still beautiful in design and appearance, excellently maintained and still providing the kind of X-cellent service that characterizes Celebrity Cruise lines. It feels like home to us whenever we return for a Clebrity curise after trying other brands. Try it, you'll be hooked.

Edited by jbuch02