Is it possible to eat healthy on a cruise????.....tips please!!!

flygirl2

I have always found it easier to eat healthy on a cruise than at home. Since someone is cooking and cleaning up, it is easier to choose healthy options more frequently throughout the day without resorting to the "junk" that tends to tide us over when at home.

Like others who have posted, we always use the stairs and make a point of walking the decks after meals.

Where I find it difficult is in the drinking! Being tempted to have those "refreshing drinks" at the pool. If I must have one, I stay away from the sugary ones, and opt for a Tom Collins. The same with before or during dinner drinks, I will usually opt for white wine instead of mixed beverages or fruity drinks.

It's amazing how many calories are in the alcoholic (or non-alcoholic) beverages - and how they add up!

I have always found it easier to eat healthy on a cruise than at home. Since someone is cooking and cleaning up, it is easier to choose healthy options more frequently throughout the day without resorting to the "junk" that tends to tide us over when at home.

Like others who have posted, we always use the stairs and make a point of walking the decks after meals.

Where I find it difficult is in the drinking! Being tempted to have those "refreshing drinks" at the pool. If I must have one, I stay away from the sugary ones, and opt for a Tom Collins. The same with before or during dinner drinks, I will usually opt for white wine instead of mixed beverages or fruity drinks.

It's amazing how many calories are in the alcoholic (or non-alcoholic) beverages - and how they add up!

I absolutely agree. I have no trouble sticking g to my low carb program while on a cruise. The buffet is perfect for breakfast with omelettes, cottage cheese and/or fruit. For lunch I can always have a big salad or chicken and a cooked vegetable. For dinner we always go to the MDR where I get whatever I want but within reason. I only have one piece of bread. I get dessert but rarely finish it. This is vacation so I have a few treats.

Because I have found green vegetables lacking in the main dining room at dinner, I frequently ask for a double order of whatever green leafy salad is available (dressing on the side) and make sure that my waiter understands that the salad will still be on the table as a side for my main course. Otherwise, he will try to remove the salad or will wait to serve my main course.

I'm usually onboard for 3 to 4 weeks and at most I've gained a pound or two. I really stick to a plan though, and usually International Café for breakfast and lunch.

At dinner there are always healthy choices. I try not to go crazy because the food is there. I don't eat heavy, fried foods at home and find it easy to avoid them on a cruise. I will go to the buffet area, but usually for fruit or a salad. I love my carbs so I try to take it easy on desserts.

I rarely use elevators, no matter what deck. Sailing single, I don't always get exactly where I want to be, doesn't make a difference, I use the stairs. I'm on the Regal for 25 days this Spring, Baja deck, will involve many steps, don't care! :)

I love a good buffet. I am also a diabetic for last 2 years. But I have really educated myself on dos and donts. Usually I forget myself on Day 1, feel terrible and then back to eating like at home. I like the buffets for the options, a dab of this a spoon of that. It helps keep the boredom away. I am the victim of a bad surgery and mobility can be real iffy at times. Regardless, we walk stairs and no shortcuts. Nothing beats cruising, except maybe a 1.6B Powerball win. Oh well, mass cruise line it is and the yacht is back on hold.

international cafe has lovely salads

the International Cafe was always one of my favorite stops before we switched to low carb eating. Now I can't even look in the case. Yummy pastries, fresh hot cookies, chicken salad loaded with mayo, cheesy quiches. Oh man, those were the good old days!

For a normal person who eats a variety of foods, the dinners in the MDR are portioned very nicely for healthy eating.

As long as you don'r have 4 appetizers, 2 orders of the main course and 3 deserts, you will be fine.

As for breakfast, you can order a healthy breakfast very easily in the MDR.

Lunch in the MDR, however, is more like a dinner to me and is often too much food.

As for the buffet, yes, you can eat heathy there as well, it is just a lot harder because it is up to you to limit what you eat.

Of course, exercise is a must. We like to walk in the mornings and will usually shot for 2-3 miles a day.

I didn't gain a pound on our last cruise, for which I am pleased.

So, yes, it can be done.

the International Cafe was always one of my favorite stops before we switched to low carb eating. Now I can't even look in the case. Yummy pastries, fresh hot cookies, chicken salad loaded with mayo, cheesy quiches. Oh man, those were the good old days!

Agreed! I have never thought of the IC as a 'heathy eating' venue. Too many pastries, salads with dressings, sandwiches on high calorie croissants and/or paninis. And the desserts!! I've found the buffet to be a much healthier option -- I make a large salad with fresh veggies for lunch and skip the high calorie stuff.

We usually end up losing weight on a cruise. Probably from so much walking and stair climbing. As per our doctor's orders we have eggs for breakfast, a salad with some protein at lunch and salad, vegetables and meat for dinner. It is much easier on the ship to skip dessert since DH and I are both Gluten free and both allergic to dairy products and I can't even eat their gluten free bread since I am highly allergic to yeast.

I actually find it easier to eat healthy on a cruise than at home. There are so many healthy choices and it's all made for you.

Breakfast: I either have oatmeal or an egg white omelette in the buffet.

Lunch: Salad at the salad bar.

Dinner: I actually eat better in the buffet than the MDR. MDR has a lot of healthy choices, but a lot of temptation. Buffet has salad bar and you can pick out some protein and veggies.

I don't eat sugar at home, so sometimes I will have some treats on vacation. I will limit that to a couple days and then be done.

I will eat some unhealthy things on a cruise, but I try to balance it with healthy things. I might have pizza once. I might go to the grill for a burger once. Most often, though, the healthy food is more appealing to me.

I try to keep to my usual eating pattern but love to try new food on the cruise. One trick to control my weight it sticking with the "salad plate" in the buffet. They will try to hand you a platter but have smaller plates also available. I will try a variety of foods, but stick with a firm "no stacking" and no second trips through the line rules. It's amazing to see the amount of food stacked high on a platter some people will take!

It is very possible to stick to healthy eating. Make it a rule that 50% of your plate is fruit/veggies, and eat those first. When you are in the dining room, order 2 or 3 small healthy starters and then a healthy entre....there are icons that give pointers on the heatlhier choices.

I do indulge in a some yummies too, chocolatey desserts, etc...the portions are usually smaller on cruise ships. I drink a lot of water too!!!

And mostly....I walk the promenade and/or workout at the gym and take the stairs instead of the elevator (unless I'm in heels for formal night) lol....

I usually LOSE a couple pounds on a cruise.....it is very possible!!!

Just got off a 31 day Princess cruise. Gained six pounds but lost it within a week (mostly bloat from alcohol!). So our tips:

1)absolutely no bread at any meal. No bread means no butter either:)

2)drink two glasses of water before each meal

3)we never took the elevator. Not even once. Gym every other day.

4)opt for the more rigorous shore excursions

5)salad every night as my first course, one scoop ONE! ice-cream for dessert

6)nothing but fresh fruit and veggies for lunch. And Princess offers fresh fruit for your stateroom. Great for nibbling.

7)don't be afraid to ask waiters for what you want. I find Princess to be VERY accommodating.

8)avoid the temptation of the buffets. Even the salad bar has dangerous stuff!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've been eating really healthy the last two months and want to continue on our upcoming 7 night cruise on the Caribbean Princess. This is our first time on Princess and I would love some suggestions on how to order in the dining room and what to look for on the menu....or the buffet. I am not a buffet person except for lunch probably. I've been staying with baked, broiled or grilled fish & chicken along with salads and steamed vegetables. If any of you have been able to stay with a healthy diet on a cruise I'd love to hear from you! I will stay away from the breads and desserts. Thanks for your suggestions!

It is easy to eat healthily on a cruise as there is a lot of suitable food.

Now the hard part, do it :).

Seriously it is possible and it will only be your decision to do otherwise.

I've been eating really healthy the last two months and want to continue on our upcoming 7 night cruise on the Caribbean Princess. This is our first time on Princess and I would love some suggestions on how to order in the dining room and what to look for on the menu....or the buffet. I am not a buffet person except for lunch probably. I've been staying with baked, broiled or grilled fish & chicken along with salads and steamed vegetables. If any of you have been able to stay with a healthy diet on a cruise I'd love to hear from you! I will stay away from the breads and desserts. Thanks for your suggestions!
It all depends on your definition of "healthy". I've maintained a South Beach Diet on a cruise simply by avoiding the potatoes and similar on the regular entrees. I've lost as much as 10 lb. on a cruise. And that's WITH eating one of their delicious dinner rolls with butter each night, and a judicious choice of desserts. Be sure to drink a lot of water.

We have found that we are much more physically active on a cruise - from walking the length of the ship to get almost anywhere, stairs where practical, and excursions like snorkeling, swimming, or hiking, and by dancing some each evening. The net effect is to burn more calories than you eat.

This is a cruise, and a vacation. Maintaining a healthy (for you) choice of food is easy to do, and many "transgressions" from the diet are compensated for by exercise. I don't believe one has to skip everything good to eat healthy.

The dinner rolls are the best I've ever had - all across the Princess fleet.

Edited by Times Prince

I never gain weight on a cruise. Eat whatever I want in small portions. Always order 2 desserts and eat half if each. Meat portions are usually too large for me. I do not have be in "The clean plate club" Will overindulge on fresh berries and asparagus if available. Enjoy! Don't have to cook it or clean up after it:)

You'll have little trouble getting those things.

If they're not on the menu ask your waiter.

Mrs Gut is Vegan/Vegetarian. Never pre orders never has an issue getting something.

Meals can be a bit low in vegetables, ASK.

Now if you have the strength to resist the bread and desert am be another question.

I'd ask for a table for just your group and ask to have the bread removed, but I find Princess' bread irresistible, well pretty much any fresh baked bread.

I have not gained much, if any, weight on any of our cruises. I do not make a point of eating any particular items, either. I just do not load up on carbs (well except for gooey, delicious deserts) as I am an insulin dependent diabetic. It can be done with little to no special effort.:eek:

Doc