Ocean Princess Running Out of Food Items

Griller

We are on the South American voyage on the Ocean Princess. Many supplies that were supposed to meet the ship in Trinidad did not arrive.

I've watched the loading process that goes on in Trinidad, and quite frankly, from what I saw of the local crew there, it wouldn't surprise me at all if something got screwed up there. However it did provide a fair amount of entertainment, especially watching the one fork lift driver get so frustrated that he basically just stormed off leaving the fork lift there. I'm honestly surprised the one roll of carpet they were working on made it onto the ship and not into the water.

The tough part of course is that it's kinda hard for a container to catch up with the ship. I'm sure they have some plans to reprovision in other stops, but it's not going to help if they're behind already, because getting extra supplies to those stops might be tough. You just can't ship extra containers of supplies that fast. My guess would be Rio is the most likely spot where they'd provision next, especially since that's probably also a segment beginning.

For those aboard this could be a positive thing. We were on the OP a couple of months ago from Dover to Rome around Africa. Apparently they didn't get their scheduled wine shipment so we were allowed to bring our own aboard with no corkage fee. They didn't advertise this, and I was always prepared to pay the fee, but when I sent my bag thru the x-ray with wine from France, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, and even rum from Madagascar they never raised an eyebrow. The did charge the fee if I brought it to the dining room, though.

For those aboard this could be a positive thing. We were on the OP a couple of months ago from Dover to Rome around Africa. Apparently they didn't get their scheduled wine shipment so we were allowed to bring our own aboard with no corkage fee. They didn't advertise this, and I was always prepared to pay the fee, but when I sent my bag thru the x-ray with wine from France, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, and even rum from Madagascar they never raised an eyebrow. The did charge the fee if I brought it to the dining room, though.

Good to see a positive with a negative.

I contacted my travel agent because the Service seems to be lacking. I understand they may gave missed a container. The thought that they are trying to run down supplies before handing the ship over to Oceana, is a real concern as this has happened before.

My travel agent has her own barge and is leaving today to resupply the ship. Amazing lady and greatly appreciated.

My travel agent has her own barge and is leaving today to resupply the ship. Amazing lady and greatly appreciated.

Make sure you get us some video.. Especially when the Coast Guard boards her barge..

Edited by Kenswing

In 2004 on the Pacific (2) Princess, we stopped in Guam. As we headed off on a shore excursion, they opened a freezer container for supplies. Someone had neglected to plug the container into a power source and it warmed in the tropical sun. A great deal of liquid ran out on the dock when the door was opened. There was a shortage of some items for about a week.

What made the cruise especially eventful was the dirty fuel the ship took on in Guam. The middle of the next day, the engines stopped due to clogged fuel filters. We drifted for hours in the calm equatorial Pacific. Dinner was a cold meal by candle light.

I don't recall any on board complaints about these issues. The majority of the passengers were WWII Pacific Campaign veterans and their families. For them, things were much worse on their prior cruise.

You can't beat such cruising adventures as a source of stories. Listeners generally relegate them to the category of walking to school in the snow, uphill, in both directions.

George

Yes I do imagine that in spite of the problems it was a better time on the ship that the WWII veterans experienced the first time in the area. Being older I am sure they remember a time where everything was not so plentiful as it is today or worked so well.

The part about forgetting to plug in the container or probably not aware that it had to be plugged in reminded me of a trip I made on a small chartered boat out of Belize. The corporate office in Miami had sent down supplies mostly frozen along with some fresh lettuce. The dock hands put it all in the freezer awaiting our arrival. Result was frozen lettuce which translates into doing without the rest of the week. Stuff happens particularly in third world areas of the world.

I join this cruise feb 13. Hope it improves

Griller. Can you post updates in the roll call for this cruise. There are many of us not yet onboard. Tell me if Curtis Stone food is on the ship. How is the service and overall quality of the food in the dining room. Entrees to avoid?

Mike

Sorry I have not met any CC folk on the ship, or if I did I didn't know they were CC folk.

I had the chance to stay on the ship for the rest of the 64 days, just paying the taxes but have decided not to do so and am leaving tomorrow. The ship is not full.

I have not seen any Curtis Stone items thank goodness.

Our waiters are not so good but most are excellent as is usual on Princess.

Our waiter is forgetful, not timely, and does not know anyone's name on our table. His assistant argues with us if we complain that, as happened for example, the Fettucine Alfredo is dry and doesn't have enough sauce. No chance of a replacement or more sauce. Just tells us that's how its meant to be. Not on the other 15 Princess ships I've been on over 23 years it isn't.

Godwin the MaitreD' knows everyone's name by now after 17 days and greets us, as do many of the other crew who are friendly and helpful.

Years ago we were on Royal for an Australia/Southeast Asia cruise and several days in they ran out of beer. The passengers were mostly Australians and Brits and there was almost a mutiny when they found out that they had taken on kegs in Australia but couldn't use them because they had the wrong taps!

Rather than all the conjecture, ask for a meeting with the Hotel General Manager in order to have him/her explain the situation. If he/she does not meet with you, send an email to Princess Customer Relations. You WILL get a response within 24 hours and a meeting with a senior staff member who will provide an official response.

Never seen the Parmesan Bowl, though I have asked for it numerous times

I was told you only get it when ordered as a main.

Funny last cruise I ordered it 3 times "no bowl" but was ordering as an app. Mrs Gut ordered once, "Bowl" after our waiter discovered I wanted the bowl got it regardless if ordered as app or main.

Why? Is your TA able to get the supplies to the ship faster than their already-scheduled arrival in Rio tomorrow?

Now THAT is a travel agent! ;)

Years ago we were on Royal for an Australia/Southeast Asia cruise and several days in they ran out of beer. The passengers were mostly Australians and Brits and there was almost a mutiny when they found out that they had taken on kegs in Australia but couldn't use them because they had the wrong taps!

Well running out of beer is a capital of fence down under, don't you know?

Wouldn't have anything to do with the taps though, and tap can serve up any beer.

I am currently sailing on this ship and this is nonsense! Apparently we missed some provisions along the way but it is hardly noticable! I attended the second party and received 3 drinks no problem, I guess if you don,t make eye contact or any attempt to get a drink you might not get one.... and really? Is v-8 that important as far as I knew this is only available when it is in stock and obviously difficult to obtain on the current itinerary! At the end of the day if these are the only things you can find to complain about life can't be so hard! I truly believe that sometimes these situations show how diverse the crew can be! The crew are doing a great job amongst some of the most miserable people I have ever had to sail with! I feel sorry for the ship having to remember it's last cruise like this., not the other way round!!

..... for example, the Fettucine Alfredo is dry and doesn't have enough sauce. No chance of a replacement or more sauce. Just tells us that's how its meant to be. Not on the other 15 Princess ships I've been on over 23 years it isn't.

The Fettuccine Alfredo has certainly declined over the years to what they now serve today & it is totally different. I usually try a small portion on every cruise hoping it will revert to the old way of preparation but it hasn't yet. It's isn't really that hard to prepare although probably not that healthy. Maybe Princess want's to keep us around for a few more years.;)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/fettuccine-alfredo/

Edited by floridalover5623

I take it is an older crowd? Hopefully I dont get assigned to a negatory table.

I certainly am among the older crowd but agree with you that sitting with a bunch of whiners is no fun. It is a vacation with food available 24 hours, twice a day room cleanup, beds made for you, towels and linens changed, multiple entertainment, and on and on. What is not to like? Grumbling over some food item is ridiculous. Sit back and have fun. Drink in the magnificent days.

I certainly am among the older crowd but agree with you that sitting with a bunch of whiners is no fun. It is a vacation with food available 24 hours, twice a day room cleanup, beds made for you, towels and linens changed, multiple entertainment, and on and on. What is not to like? Grumbling over some food item is ridiculous. Sit back and have fun. Drink in the magnificent days.

I enjoy listening to what people consider as a complaint. It provides entertainment for a while & if it becomes to repetitious we just change tables.

• 2 weeks later...

Reply from Princess:

"The following information has been provided to us by Ocean Princess/ Hotel General Manager --

Bacon was always available, at times, it was rotated with Canadian bacon only until Natal 15Jan16. We never substituted margarine for butter it was always available in the dining room and at the buffet. V8 juice, which normally is only available on request, could not be supplied in Brazil will arrive Jan. 25th/ MONTEVIDEO. We never stopped serving chicken. We did not receive the usual concentrated ice tea but it was provided at all times readily made and served in jugs.

At no times refills of ice tea are / were refused.

All passengers got their drinks at the Captain Circle party. We had one comment from a passenger who wanted refills when the party was over.

We have required all supplies to serve our product.

As mentioned above we received only two comments regarding tomato juice food, supplies have not been commented on."

Sent from my iPhone-

Megan O'Toole, Business Development Manager

Well running out of beer is a capital of fence down under, don't you know?

Wouldn't have anything to do with the taps though, and tap can serve up any beer.

On the CB for last September's T/A, they ran out of Vermouth 3 days before the cruise ended.....:eek::eek::eek:

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G