5 things you would/wouldn't bring

Tas55

Leaving on celebrity Equinox this week. Very excited! Haven't cruised for five years and never on celebrity. Past has been carnival and royal Caribbean and have loved them all. I'm packing and starting to freak out. What are five things to bring and five things you really don't need but think you do? Thanks!!!!! Not the obvious. I'm looking for advice from the seasoned pros!

Edited by Tas55

Bring:

1. clothes pegs for hanging laundry

2. magnets to attach post its and important papers to the wall

3. your own hairdryer...one in cabin is labour intensive

4. downy wrinkle release...works great

5. patience and a sense of humour...will get you through just about any situation:)

Don't bring:

1. half the clothes you already packed

Enjoy!!

Edited by Barwick Cruiser

Karen - LOL...I never thought about taking my own raft, but you might have something here! I happen to have two of those longer rafts that we purchased last summer for a beach trip. Never used them because the waves were too rough. They would be perfect for our upcoming beach intensive cruise on Oceania. Now to figure out where/how to pack. :)

What not to take: (OK, these are things that I have been told to take (and also taken before) but realize that they are not necessary. At least not anymore and especially on Celebrity.

1. Hair Dryer - Even though I have shoulder length, thick curly hair, the in-room hair dryer works fine with (and if) you have a balcony for pre-drying. ;)

2. Hanging Door Organizer - Plenty of room to store necessities in the bathrooms...especially the Solstice class ships.

3. Bungee Cords - Used for holding open balcony doors. No need with Celebrity sliders. However, I continue to carry a mini bungee and have used it for misc. things.

4. Downey Wrinkle Releaser. I used to take a can of Magic Wrinkle Releaser, but all my clothes tend to be pretty wrinkle free. Something I have learned to pack in the last several years. I do use plastic laundry bags and place one on ever other article of hanging clothing that we take. ;)

I do not take clothes pins because I do not do wash in the stateroom. I do take some chip clips to keep my beach towel from blowing off on the lounge chairs. So I guess if I needed to hang anything in the room, I could use them.

5. Flash Light or Alarm Clock - If you have a smart phone, you have both! However, I do still take a small alarm clock because it has lighted dials and I can check the time without waking DH with turning on the phone.

What to Take:

1. Magnets - Already mentioned by Barwick Cruiser, take one or two heavy duty magnets for hanging almost anything. We use them to hang our bathrobes, my scarves (useful item mentioned by chamima) purse, etc.

2. Duct Tape - A few strips of duct tape for all kinds of needs from lint removal to fixing a tear in your suitcase. You never know!

3. PacSafe - A smart safety/thief resistant bag for touring.

4. Rain jacket - These also work as good insulators when worn with layers on cold climate tours. Even in the Caribbean. They are without bulkiness to pack or carry if it gets too hot. I have seen nay people struggling to carry around their winter jackets.

5. Walking Shoes - Always take at least two pairs and change out daily so that your feet get a rest from what the shoes did to you the day before. :D

PS - To add to what chamima mentioned, take a waterproof case to keep your money, credit card and passports safe while in the water. Never leave on the beach unless someone is staying with it. Cruise Critic used to carry a water wallet. Not sure if they still do.

Edited by Iamthesea

I am more and more a "Light" packer and found others have things on their "must bring" list that I don't need so its probably a matter of preference.

I don't bring a hair dryer -theirs takes a little longer but I'm in no rush - on vacation! most of the time I sit on the balcony for 15 min or so before I start to dry my hair anyway.

Half my bathroom supplies were not needed. I have more at home but found dragging around my favorite body wash/shampoo/etc was a bother so for the 16 days I'm on the ship, I can suffer with generic body wash they supply, same with shampoo as long as I do bring my travel size container of conditioner.

I use travel size everything, no full bottles as they are just more stuff to drag back home.

Shoes - no I don't need to match cute shoes with every outfit - one pair of good walking shoes, one pair of black dress shoes for dinner and maybe one extra pair but that is it.

Less dinner clothes - 1 black dress with a few shawls gets a lot of use. Sweater or jacket that is neutral color to match more outfits.

Things I have had to buy - a hat, keep forgetting to pack one and have to buy another.

After one trip dragging around lots of luggage, I went back to my one 25 inch hardshell suitcase for 3 weeks. Send out laundry, mix and match clothes and pack less bathroom products.

I don't even bring a purse anymore except a small clutch for dinner. A PacSafe backpack doubles as my camera bag and purse and it much easier to manage on excursions not to mention not as easy for pickpockets.

Iamthesea and Lisah 101 both had good ideas.

I personally like a couple pair of shoes as i invariably get a blister and need a second pair that doesn't hit my foot in that spot. (See #5 on Iamthesea's list)

Speaking of that - bring band-aids! Also, over-the counter medicines such as aspirin, cortisone cream, anti-biotic cream, etc. Those are easy to find at home but expensive and not so available on a ship. (I have a ziploc bag that I leave in the suitcase for trips and just refresh as things expire).

And ziploc bags - quart and gallon size. Good for wet clothes and LOTS of other things!

Edited by chamima

Bottled water..even if you have a package. What they give out is not always convenient size or cold, unless you have the enhancd package or will pay more for upgraded water.

Yellow marker/highlighter to mark the daily.

Tide stain release..small trvl size..works great

Small Pepto or pills, cough syrup, , just in case

insulated coffee tumbler with a cover for carry away.

Small sewing kit

Rain poncho to guarantee it won't rain..

Pool or beach robe..ones in cabin are for in cabin use

pool/beach shoes

Hair products unless you are ok with generic

We recently returned from a great cruise on EQ. Enjoy!

What not to take: (OK, these are things that I have been told to take (and also taken before) but realize that they are not necessary. At least not anymore and especially on Celebrity.

3. Bungee Cords - Used for holding open balcony doors. No need with Celebrity sliders. However, I continue to carry a mini bungee and have used it for misc. things.

Unless you are deck 11 (a1 cabins) on an M-class ship, in which case take a 24" bungee cord to secure the balcony doors if you want to sit outside or have the door open in any sort of rocky seas. Then you need it.

Speaking of that - bring band-aids! Also, over-the counter medicines such as aspirin, cortisone cream, anti-biotic cream, etc. Those are easy to find at home but expensive and not so available on a ship. (I have a ziploc bag that I leave in the suitcase for trips and just refresh as things expire).

And ziploc bags - quart and gallon size. Good for wet clothes and LOTS of other things!

Excellent suggestions, Karen! I bring a small OTC pharmacy with me: advil, benadryl, Immodium, tums, and bonine -- as well as neosporine, cortisone, band-aids, and alcohol wipes. But, even the best-laid plans can go awry. Last year, I had a brand-new crown come off, and really wished that I'd packed some dental wax -- for a temporary repair. :eek:

Oh -- and you are right -- you can never bring too many ziplock bags! :D

insulated coffee tumbler with a cover for carry away.

I get the cup and lid from Café Al Bacio. They keep my drink super hot.

Iamthesea and Lisah 101 both had good ideas.

I personally like a couple pair of shoes as i invariably get a blister and need a second pair that doesn't hit my foot in that spot. (See #5 on Iamthesea's list)

Ditto on the medicine baggie. Mine is a size large and comes on all cruises.

Unless you are deck 11 (a1 cabins) on an M-class ship, in which case take a 24" bungee cord to secure the balcony doors if you want to sit outside or have the door open in any sort of rocky seas. Then you need it.

We have had these staterooms twice and never had a problem with the door closing on it's own ;) Perhaps it has always been too windy to sit out when the seas are rocky. Plus, the air hoes off if the door is left open. How something thin to protect the door lock mechanism from latching?

1. Alarm clock - but if your ok with seeing time on the phone or turning on the TV in the middle of the night - you do not need one.

2. Over the door clothes hanger/organizer (I get it from the dollar store and leave it behind for the room steward when we leave) ...along with an extra tip:)

3. Towel clips for the pool

4. Bungee cord if on a M class ship with a room on the stern to keep the door from slamming shut.

5. A small note pad for my clutch to note names of staff and guests we chat with so I can check when we run into them again on board (my memory is the pits)

6. Small container of low suds laundry liquid for small hand washing items.

7, A smile and patience for some of the annoying things which could possibly happen.

Bring:

1. clothes pegs for hanging laundry

2. magnets to attach post its and important papers to the wall

3. your own hairdryer...one in cabin is labour intensive

4. downy wrinkle release...works great

5. patience and a sense of humour...will get you through just about any situation:)

Don't bring:

1. half the clothes you already packed

Enjoy!!

I would not bring 1-4, but #5 is a must.

Bring what we call the pharmacy, in addition to our prescription meds, bring Alleve, anti-diarrhea, sinus meds, etc.

Books to read if you have a lot of sea days.

Backup cash, in case your ATM card doesn't work.

A money belt if visiting certain places in the World.

1. Alarm clock - but if your ok with seeing time on the phone or turning on the TV in the middle of the night - you do not need one.

2. Over the door clothes hanger/organizer (I get it from the dollar store and leave it behind for the room steward when we leave) ...along with an extra tip:)

3. Towel clips for the pool

4. Bungee cord if on a M class ship with a room on the stern to keep the door from slamming shut.

5. A small note pad for my clutch to note names of staff and guests we chat with so I can check when we run into them again on board (my memory is the pits)

6. Small container of low suds laundry liquid for small hand washing items.

7, A smile and patience for some of the annoying things which could possibly happen.

We were on Silhouette last year and brought 2 different over the door hangers and they didn't fit over the door.

First of all I'll preface this with I am not a light packer and thus I'm going to skip the not to packs. I enjoy dressing up and a cruise is one time when my husband is inclined to indulge that without complaint so I check luggage.

Things to pack

1. Clothes you're going to love to wear. you're on vacation, you should be enjoying yourself. Don't bring the dress that would be awesome if only you toned your arms etc. Bring the things that make you feel awesome and relaxed.

2. Shoes that are comfortable for what you're doing. You're planning your excursions in advance so pack accordingly. Remember your water shoes if you're on an excursion where they are needed, or if they'll let you get to every bit of a location. Make sure on days you're walking a lot your shoes are comfortable.

3. At least 2 bathing suits. Nothing in this world feels worse than putting on a half dry bathing suit so if you're doing a lot of beach time and/or pool time make sure you're prepared.

4. I'm going to third or 4th or more the drug kit. I have one of those packing cubes that holds ours and it goes with us for everything from an overnight to a long vacation. Pain killers, band aids, decongestants, motion sickness, polysporin and bandaids are the stars of my kit.

5. Whatever you need to relax. Books, puzzles, camera - There are more options, but these are my three. Whatever takes you out of your regular life and lets you unwind.

First of all I'll preface this with I am not a light packer and thus I'm going to skip the not to packs. I enjoy dressing up and a cruise is one time when my husband is inclined to indulge that without complaint so I check luggage.

Things to pack

1. Clothes you're going to love to wear. you're on vacation, you should be enjoying yourself. Don't bring the dress that would be awesome if only you toned your arms etc. Bring the things that make you feel awesome and relaxed.

2. Shoes that are comfortable for what you're doing. You're planning your excursions in advance so pack accordingly. Remember your water shoes if you're on an excursion where they are needed, or if they'll let you get to every bit of a location. Make sure on days you're walking a lot your shoes are comfortable.

3. At least 2 bathing suits. Nothing in this world feels worse than putting on a half dry bathing suit so if you're doing a lot of beach time and/or pool time make sure you're prepared.

4. I'm going to third or 4th or more the drug kit. I have one of those packing cubes that holds ours and it goes with us for everything from an overnight to a long vacation. Pain killers, band aids, decongestants, motion sickness, polysporin and bandaids are the stars of my kit.

5. Whatever you need to relax. Books, puzzles, camera - There are more options, but these are my three. Whatever takes you out of your regular life and lets you unwind.

I bring 3 swimsuits..one suit is always my oldest wormn out one, to use in the solarium, t pool or whirlpools. THey are swImsuit killers!

Lots of great ideas! Here are a few more:

1. Fair number of small bills, especially $1's and $5's for taxi's, small local purchases, tips at ports, etc. Sometimes they can't make change with bigger bills.

2. Extra pair of reading glasses (you know the $10 ones from the drug store).

3. Small travel flashlight (sorry, if that is a repeat).

4. Ginger teabags (helps with sea sickness).

5. Extra copies of passports.

6. Info sheet with flight info, port times, health insurance out-of-counrtry phone number, cruise company phone numbers, travel insurance phone number, etc. I carry this with me on shore, too. (Never know when I may miss that curb and break a leg. :eek:)

Good Travel insurance. Had a great "just in case" medical bag filled with all mentioned above and tried to self medicate when I came down with an URI on a 28 day cruise in Asia. It cycled back twice with me taking everything in my kit and ended up in the medical centre near the end of the cruise really sick. So sick that they took chest xrays etc. Gave me a bunch of prescrition meds and started feeling better in a day or so, just in time to head home:( All costs covered by insurance and they had no problem with the invoice the ship provided and since then, if my little cache of meds does not work, I run, not walk to the Medical Centre and get the good stuff. Still sad about the ports I missed on that cruise because I was sick but it won't happen again.

I am a fairly light packer, but something I wouldn't be without on S class is packing cubes, or large ziplock bags to use in the over head storage. I am short, and have to pull things down. It is much easier and tidier to have a package of T shirts or underwear, so I can get it down, and back up, without upsetting a pile of items.

I don't think you would need over the door storage because there is plenty of storage in S class bathrooms, but that is just my opinion.

Sheila