BYO wine (Princess) is there a limit?

Dont worry about the indian fillipino waiter seĺling drinks by the pool he gets nothing when you drink your 9wn wine

Iv seen it all vodka in water bottle whisky in iced tea they rock up around pool order a can of coke and plenty of ice

Stay home or go to caravan park

Claudio makes a good point that I think gets overlooked far too often. You are not just paying for the contents of whats in your glass or bottle...you are paying to enjoy the luxurious ambience that surrounds you on a cruise ship and for the staff to look after you as they transport you from one exotic location to another.

Waiters get a percentage of the corkage collected.

I'm stunned by this thread. I thought corkage was pretty common in Australia? Bottom line, Princess allows it, Princess has no limit, Princess gets to collect $15 for no outlay.

Now back to the popcorn.

You may have picked up that it is really only a fringe element that objects to bringing on additional wine and paying the corkage. I prefer to just bring a couple of bottles if it suits but otherwise we just buy when on board.:D

Actually you could technically bring steak on board. After all you can bring other food stuffs, eg you like Crunchie bars or Pringles, you bring a supply on board and eat them by the pool, nothing stopping you. So you could bring good quality minced steak on board and make yourself a nice steak tartare in your Stateroom. Admittedly you can't front up to the chef and get him to cook it because they don't have a fee in place to do this.

I once brought limes on board as my husband loves them in his Coronas and was worried he would not get any for beers he wanted to enjoy on our balcony. Our steward even got a knife for us to cut them up. As it turns out and you become a more experienced cruiser you realise you can go to a bar and they will give you some lime slices. Then when we were in New Zealand and visited an excellent cheese factory, brought back some very nice cheeses and ate them on our balcony.

Actually you could technically bring steak on board. After all you can bring other food stuffs, eg you like Crunchie bars or Pringles, you bring a supply on board and eat them by the pool, nothing stopping you. So you could bring good quality minced steak on board and make yourself a nice steak tartare in your Stateroom. Admittedly you can't front up to the chef and get him to cook it because they don't have a fee in place to do this.

I once brought limes on board as my husband loves them in his Coronas and was worried he would not get any for beers he wanted to enjoy on our balcony. Our steward even got a knife for us to cut them up. As it turns out and you become a more experienced cruiser you realise you can go to a bar and they will give you some lime slices. Then when we were in New Zealand and visited an excellent cheese factory, brought back some very nice cheeses and ate them on our balcony.

Lets get real ...Cheese and fruit bought locally and to be consumed in your cabin would be OK.....but handing steaks over to the chefs and expecting them to prepare and serve it would be a big NO NO.......unless of course you had gone to the expense of submitting it to a licensed inspection facility and it had been given a full ISO approval rating that would meet US Regulations (or wherever the ship is registered).

Was thinking the same about trhe raw steak.

We often bring food on, cheese from NZ (yep), lollies pretty much every cruse (last cruise some beautiful hand made Rocky Road) Taking it off may be an issue (if there's any left which with Gut around isn't very likely).

Lets get real ...Cheese and fruit bought locally and to be consumed in your cabin would be OK.....but handing steaks over to the chefs and expecting them to prepare and serve it would be a big NO NO.......unless of course you had gone to the expense of submitting it to a licensed inspection facility and it had been given a full ISO approval rating that would meet US Regulations (or wherever the ship is registered).

I was only commenting on Brisbane41's oft quoted argument in this thread that we should not be allowed to bring on permitted wine and pay corkage and that the 'bring on the wine you like' argument is not valid because you can't bring on the 'steak you like'. Well thinking about it you actually can, of course you wouldn't as it is not practical. But you can bring on other things that you like in preference to Princesses offerings and eat them outside your cabin.

Dont worry about the indian fillipino waiter seĺling drinks by the pool he gets nothing when you drink your 9wn wine

Iv seen it all vodka in water bottle whisky in iced tea they rock up around pool order a can of coke and plenty of ice

Stay home or go to caravan park

Perhaps I should start a thread on how much to tip him, that should be a winner.

Apart from packaged snacks, lollies and such., I wouldn't risk it.

I would think many other things would be a health risk and may even be determined to be illegal due to local countries laws.

NZ's is very tough and specific, fruit and honey as examples. I have had more hold ups in NZ with customs than immigration. Australia also has some tough laws on this issue.

Edited by MicCanberra

Waiters get a percentage of the corkage collected.

I'm stunned by this thread. I thought corkage was pretty common in Australia? Bottom line, Princess allows it, Princess has no limit, Princess gets to collect $15 for no outlay.

Oh, we do.

Just one individual has a bee in their bonnet about it.

A couple of years ago a golfing friend of mine was on Dawn Princess World Cruse, when they got to Darwin, he was astounded to see hordes of Aussie cruisers from DP in the park at Darwin emptying bottles of vodka and other spirits they had just bought from Liquorland into water bottles and rum runners in their effort to smuggle on same.

My mate said many got caught at the gangway when security opened the bottles and it was seized.

They paid $30,000 for a cabin and have to smuggle on booze. Unreal.

I just gave a bottle of vino (1 allowed) to the boss to take on Diamond Princess tomorrow, she declined it, couldn't be bothered. She can't wait to get into the AU$14 mohitos, I know, yikes.

Edited by NSWP

Imagine the bill for an all inclusive package on a world cruise!

At a rough guess, $13,000+ for a couple. Ouch.

Add on another few grand for shorex.

I have always said on these boards, on board spending aside, the world cruises on the Australian Princess ships, Sea/Dawn/Sun Princesses are way overpriced, yes I know no tipping, blah, blah, blah, but $200 per person per diem for an inside cabin and $300 for a balcony cabin is poor value in my opinion.

As a comparison in 2012 we did a 49 night half world cruise on Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton, 2 for one deal - obstructed view cabin for AU$5500 each, that is AU$112 a day, that is value. So you mob looking to do a bit of world cruising, look at P&O UK.

Stand by for incoming. Getting ready to throw the pop corn.

Edited by NSWP

Add on another few grand for shorex.

I have always said on these boards, on board spending aside, the world cruises on the Australian Princess ships, Sea/Dawn/Sun Princesses are way overpriced, yes I know no tipping, blah, blah, blah, but $200 per person per diem for an inside cabin and $300 for a balcony cabin is poor value in my opinion.

As a comparison in 2012 we did a 49 night half world cruise on Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton, 2 for one deal - obstructed view cabin for AU$5500 each, that is AU$112 a day, that is value. So you mob looking to do a bit of world cruising, look at P&O UK.

Stand by for incoming. Getting ready to throw the pop corn.

I agree, about the pricing and the popcorn.:D

I agree, about the pricing and the popcorn.:D

So an Aussie couple doing a WC on the Australian Princess ships, Syd-Syd, occupying a balcony cabin, would need to outlay around $80,000 when you add cruise x 2 = $60K, and 20K for shorex and drinkies to keep thy fluids up. Work it out.

Ouch !! Little wonder they do their best to smuggle a wee dram or two on board.

At least they get free popcorn at MUTS.

Edited by NSWP

So an Aussie couple doing a WC on the Australian Princess ships, Syd-Syd, occupying a balcony cabin, would need to outlay around $80,000 when you add cruise x 2 = $60K, and 20K for shorex and drinkies to keep thy fluids up. Work it out.

Yes it adds up and that is for just over 100 days isn't it. May be cheaper to just cruise last minute sales.

Yes it adds up and that is for just over 100 days isn't it. May be cheaper to just cruise last minute sales.

I was wrong, $30,000 for a balcony, wrong !! $34,000 ($327 per pp per day) for Sea Princess 104 days WC this year, 27 grand for ocean view. Only 80 bucks pp obc, not good. So for a couple to have a balcony, drink well, do tours, not much change out of 100K.

Out of my league, my bench mark is $150 pp per diem.

Now tell me tips are not included, course they are hidden there.

Edited by NSWP

But a Balcony for 10 days and a drinks package each will set me back near enough to $6 or 6.5 K so not too bad really.

I was wrong, $30,000 for a balcony, wrong !! $34,000 ($327 per pp per day) for Sea Princess 104 days WC this year, 27 grand for ocean view. Only 80 bucks pp obc, not good. So for a couple to have a balcony, drink well, do tours, not much change out of 100K.

Out of my league, my bench mark is $150 pp per diem.

Now tell me tips are not included, course they are hidden there.

That balcony has jumped a bit then. It was $27K earlier on for a balcony.

Hate to tell you Uncle Les but you'll start and struggle at $150 pp pd.

I was at $200 (balcony) but starting to struggle to find that now (But I am looking for mid ship).

But pretty unlikely to get world cruises in those.

All depends why you want to cruise, but if you want to do a world cruise, you'll likely have to pay up. (That said, certain sectors may become available.)

Edited by The_Big_M

That balcony has jumped a bit then. It was $27K earlier on for a balcony.

Hate to tell you Uncle Les but you'll start and struggle at $150 pp pd.

I was at $200 (balcony) but starting to struggle to find that now (But I am looking for mid ship).

Morning Mr Gut, we don't normally book balconies, but on the Diamond, my wife and granddaughter are on today, got them oceanview on Emerald deck, mid ships, for $1600 each. That is $133 per diem, within my benchmark. Sure you won't get balconies for that, not on Princess anyway. Got a Caribe deck balcony on Emerald in Nov to Fiji/South Pacific for $193 per day, but should get that re fared to a lower price if prices come down on that cruise. I book direct with Princess always, for that reason, re fares and cabin changes, easy.

The WC prices I quoted were straight off Princess site yesterday.

Edited by NSWP

Morning Mr Gut, we don't normally book balconies, but on the Diamond, my wife and granddaughter are on today, got them oceanview on Emerald deck, mid ships, for $1600 each. That is $133 per diem, within my benchmark. Sure you won't get balconies for that, not on Princess anyway. Got a Caribe deck balcony on Emerald in Nov to Fiji/South Pacific for $193 per day, but should get that re fared to a lower price if prices come down on that cruise. I book direct with Princess always, for that reason, re fares and cabin changes, easy.

The WC prices I quoted were straight off Princess site yesterday.

Agree about booking direct with Princess.

In fact I now go one step further I either book with my PCP at Princess or book online then get her to take it over.

Prices are creeping up a little this year it seems.

We were spoilt first cruise with a balcony. Then due to me darlings health issues it really has to be a mid ship, mid deck balcony. Paying about 230-250 a day generally.

Last cruise our PCP told us off for paying before checking (made final a few weeks early) as she could re fare.

First time I'd even been allowed re fare.

My DH was laughing to himself while on his laptop this morning so, of course, I had to ask him what was so funny. Well........

have to say I lost it, totally, when it came to comparing bringing on steaks with bringing on wine, lololol. Shades of S/KM.

(Oh, I'm a cheapskate - take on a bottle then use my mini-bar. Thank you, Princess. ;) :rolleyes: :D

How're you doing, Uncle Les?