BYO wine (Princess) is there a limit?

Hi all,

I can't see anything on the Princess website, but am wondering if there's a limit on the amount of wine I can bring on board if willing to pay the $15 corkage?

Having decided the AIBP is not for me, I'm pondering the idea of bringing a case of semi-decent sparkling wine, which is one of my favourite tipples I can enjoy on its own or with dinner.

If I buy at $15-20 a bottle, with the corkage it's the same price as Princess' cheapest offering - Asti Spumanti, EW! And $1000 saving on the package for 2 people, with leftovers for an afternoon cocktail.

I'm wondering if lugging a dozen bottles aboard is frowned upon?

I'm wondering the same as well as we are doing a 35 day cruise and my husband is going to bring on 2 dozen decent wine (he is a bit of a wine aficionado) and pay the corkage - it will be good to very good wine and even including the corkage, for the same price we would only get the basic wines on board.

I know on a 14 day HAL cruise (who have a similar policy) they did not frown on us bringing on 8 bottles of wine, just happily stamped the bottles and charged our room card for the corkage.

We have a small collapsible trolley which my husband can use to transport the cartons on the ship. At the end of the day he doesn't care what anyone thinks as long as he has decent wine to drink :D

I believe you can take as much as you want. A lot of Americans take their wine on by the case. You are already aware that they will allow two bottles without the $15 corkage charge. :) When you pay the corkage I believe they put a sticker on the bottle and you can then take it to the dining room if you wish.

Thanks.

Nothing says 'serious wine drinker' like bringing your own trolley, I love it! :D

So now I'm wondering if I can whack a sticker on the case and check it in or would I be best to carry it on myself... bit awkward but since most of my haul will be bubbles it might be safer? I don't really want a Formula One podium moment when I open them. Hmmm.

Thanks.

Nothing says 'serious wine drinker' like bringing your own trolley, I love it! :D

So now I'm wondering if I can whack a sticker on the case and check it in or would I be best to carry it on myself... bit awkward but since most of my haul will be bubbles it might be safer? I don't really want a Formula One podium moment when I open them. Hmmm.

Pretty sure you'll need to schlep it on yourself. It needs to be inspected and the corkage collected.

To the best of my knowledge no limit.

But $15 corkage would put me way off, most wines it would work out less to just buy them on the ship.

Not really, just using their cheapest, Spumante, as a comparison point, I can buy for under $10 at Dan Murphy's and it's $35 on board.

Even if the cost difference was negligible I'd prefer to choose my own wine, something that I know isn't too sweet and won't give me a cracking headache from the preservatives.

Thanks.

I believe the Princess info says wine has to be in your hand luggage. If it is detected in your luggage by X-ray, the luggage is put in the 'naughty corner' and you have to front up at the Passenger Services Desk and ask for it.

To the best of my knowledge no limit.

But $15 corkage would put me way off, most wines it would work out less to just buy them on the ship.

Yes you can get 'drinkable' wine for around $35 per bottle but we can get very very good wines for $20-30 per bottle + $15 corkage = $35-45 and they would most likely be $60 upwards on the ship.

It depends on your perspective and budget, if you are happy with a drinkable drop in your price bracket or budget is not an issue, I wouldn't bother bringing it on board. But if you are like my husband who really appreciates and studies wine, a good wine is part of his cruise experience (mine too actually, I am quite fussy), he likes to maximise his wine experience by bringing on carefully chosen options.

Also what they sell on board is usually pretty limited to the big wineries, even in the upper price brackets.

Elise

Just a thought on this, have you ever considered that bringing your own wine detracts from the cruise experience and makes it worst for others when cruise lines respond by increasing prices. We all know that cruise lines do not like passengers bringing their own wine, yet passengers persist and we always see these threads pop up about being able to bring your own.

My opinion is stop being cheap and enjoy the cruise. If you cant afford it don't go. Perhaps if people stopped trying to "cheapen" the cruise experience, cruise lines would not respond with high prices for drinks. We cant have it all good. If you want cheap fares you have got to expect cruise lines will make their money elsewhere.

If people stopped all this "cheapskate" activity then maybe cruise lines would be more affordable overall if they did not have to contend with passengers finding loopholes do avoid paying for things.

Do you take your own steaks on the ship from your favourite butcher and ask the cruise line to cook it and then expect a discount on your cruise fare? Well this is the same thing as taking your wine. You are purchasing an all inclusive cruise holiday package where you can purchase these extras. If you don't like paying for extras then don't go.

I suppose you take your own tub of oil to your mechanic when you get a car service and expect a discount on the car service too?

I'm wondering the same as well as we are doing a 35 day cruise and my husband is going to bring on 2 dozen decent wine (he is a bit of a wine aficionado) and pay the corkage - it will be good to very good wine and even including the corkage, for the same price we would only get the basic wines on board.

I know on a 14 day HAL cruise (who have a similar policy) they did not frown on us bringing on 8 bottles of wine, just happily stamped the bottles and charged our room card for the corkage.

We have a small collapsible trolley which my husband can use to transport the cartons on the ship. At the end of the day he doesn't care what anyone thinks as long as he has decent wine to drink :D

I suppose you think it is okay for food lovers to take their own steaks, lobsters, fish and food brands, expect them to be served to them and then want a discount on the cruise fare for not using their food.

Just a thought on this, have you ever considered that bringing your own wine detracts from the cruise experience and makes it worst for others when cruise lines respond by increasing prices. We all know that cruise lines do not like passengers bringing their own wine, yet passengers persist and we always see these threads pop up about being able to bring your own.

My opinion is stop being cheap and enjoy the cruise. If you cant afford it don't go. Perhaps if people stopped trying to "cheapen" the cruise experience, cruise lines would not respond with high prices for drinks. We cant have it all good. If you want cheap fares you have got to expect cruise lines will make their money elsewhere.

If people stopped all this "cheapskate" activity then maybe cruise lines would be more affordable overall if they did not have to contend with passengers finding loopholes do avoid paying for things.

Do you take your own steaks on the ship from your favourite butcher and ask the cruise line to cook it and then expect a discount on your cruise fare? Well this is the same thing as taking your wine. You are purchasing an all inclusive cruise holiday package where you can purchase these extras. If you don't like paying for extras then don't go.

I suppose you take your own tub of oil to your mechanic when you get a car service and expect a discount on the car service too?

God, how rude. I don't know if you noticed my signature, but I'm a novice at this cruise business, and still researching and learning the ropes. You shouldn't assume that 'we all know' anything about what the cruise lines want, especially if it's contrary to what they actually allow.

There's a big difference between not being able to afford something, and knowing value when you see it. $65 a day for a few drinks is a rip off. $35 for a bottle of really vile wine that retails elsewhere for $9 is a rip off. I can afford it, but I don't want to pay it when there are legitimate alternatives. Let's also not forget the cruise line gets $15 off me for opening and pouring each bottle I bring on board, not exactly cheapskate.

I'm afraid responses like yours bring out the worst in me and I'll get a little thrill knowing the supercilious among us are offended by my BYO box of wine.

I know exactly what this is all about "is there a limit" that is indicating intend to bring entirely your own supply to avoid paying for what is on the ship.

Please answer my question. Can I take my own steaks from my favourite butcher, pay a "food corkage fee" and expect the cruise line to serve it to me and then expect a discount on the cruise for not using their food?

God, how rude. I don't know if you noticed my signature, but I'm a novice at this cruise business, and still researching and learning the ropes. You shouldn't assume that 'we all know' anything about what the cruise lines want, especially if it's contrary to what they actually allow.

There's a big difference between not being able to afford something, and knowing value when you see it. $65 a day for a few drinks is a rip off. $35 for a bottle of really vile wine that retails elsewhere for $9 is a rip off. I can afford it, but I don't want to pay it when there are legitimate alternatives. Let's also not forget the cruise line gets $15 off me for opening and pouring each bottle I bring on board, not exactly cheapskate.

I'm afraid responses like yours bring out the worst in me and I'll get a little thrill knowing the supercilious among us are offended by my BYO box of wine.

Agree.

While I was one who said WHY?

It's a far cry from bringing your own food (and they do allow that to a degree).

I also confess I know people who are happy o pay the $15 and take their own wine. I have family an friends involved in the wine industry, so I get it to a degree.

Just as some will take their favorite soft drink.

Sorry for the abuse from some.

By the way its not personally directed at you but a generalisation of the culture of people bringing their own wine. This subject has been going on for years and unfortunately cruise lines have been trying to battle it because they do the right thing and give people cheap fares and passengers then try to go one step further by bringing their own alcohol. It does in fact destroy the cruise experience. If every passenger brought their own wine and the ship sold none, how could the cruise line remain in business. Its a matter of economics, the cruise lines have to make money somehow to give us a great holiday, and all these people bringing their own wine actually does push the cost of drinks up for others. If this stopped then drink costs might come down or stabilise.

I know exactly what this is all about "is there a limit" that is indicating intend to bring entirely your own supply to avoid paying for what is on the ship.

Please answer my question. Can I take my own steaks from my favourite butcher, pay a "food corkage fee" and expect the cruise line to serve it to me and then expect a discount on the cruise for not using their food?

Who is asking for a discount for taking heir own wine?

Your argument falls flat on its face at the first hurdle.

By the way its not personally directed at you but a generalisation of the culture of people bringing their own wine. This subject has been going on for years and unfortunately cruise lines have been trying to battle it because they do the right thing and give people cheap fares and passengers then try to go one step further by bringing their own alcohol. It does in fact destroy the cruise experience. If every passenger brought their own wine and the ship sold none, how could the cruise line remain in business. Its a matter of economics, the cruise lines have to make money somehow to give us a great holiday, and all these people bringing their own wine actually does push the cost of drinks up for others. If this stopped then drink costs might come down or stabilise.

Can't see how the $15 corkage (which would be their markup or more than their markup on average wines) will push prices up.

If someone prefers a particular wine to enhance their cruise experience and it isn't available on the ship, they are permitted to take that wine on board and pay a fee (levy if you like) to the cruiseline because it missed out on selling some of their wine. I cannot see how that is a problem at all. :D

We don't bother. We just buy some of their wine, but that is our choice.

If someone prefers a particular wine to enhance their cruise experience and it isn't available on the ship, they are permitted to take that wine on board and pay a fee (levy if you like) to the cruiseline because it missed out on selling some of their wine. I cannot see how that is a problem at all. :D

We don't bother. We just buy some of their wine, but that is our choice.

Can I take my own steaks then and ask the chef to cook them for my meals in the main dining room if I consider it would enhance my cruise experience?

Goodness Brisbane41 you certainly have strong views on BYO wine on Princess and HAL. You made me think I was wearing my cargo pants and shoving rum runners in the pockets to smuggle in cheap booze to diddle the cruise lines out of their profits. Believe me I do not condone alcohol smuggling and pay my fair share for cocktails, etc on board. Neither am I being cheap.

Both Princess and HAL, you might say, have a certain clientele. It can be said that these cruise lines cater for their more mature (read discerning) cruisers by providing the option to bring on your own wines. Many Restaurants in Adelaide do this as well, coming from a wine culture it is something we are quite used to doing. The cruise lines are profiting quite well, all they have to do is charge $15 and $18USD, respectively, no negotiating, purchasing, storage, wine waiter finding it, delivering to our table - just my husband and I bringing it into a dining room and a waiter pouring it into a glass. A win win situation if you ask me.

While itinerary and who we are sailing with will always be our first choice in a cruise line, HAL and Princess will always factor highly in our choice due to their wine policy. A wise marketing move on their part.

Also on our (admittedly few compared to others) trips we have never noticed huge amounts of people bring large quantities of wine on board. Most people are like GUT and would prefer not to hassle and pay for whatever the cruise line has to offer.

Elise

Can I take my own steaks then and ask the chef to cook them for my meals in the main dining room if I consider it would enhance my cruise experience?

But that would be too disruptive for the kitchen. :D (I know you are just stirring) but it is a totally different scenario to taking a bottle of wine that does not require anyone but the waiter at the table who would serve it.

Stone the Crows, one pays thousands for a cruise and worries about paying $30 for a bottle of vino of dinner? We buy a bottle of wine for dinner each night on the ships, some nights drink the lot, other nights drink and keep half for the next night, your waiter puts it away for you.

BTW we still take on board our permitted 750ml bottle of vino each, but I would not lower myself to 'smuggling.' I don't want to walk the gang plank or be strung up on ye olde yard arm.

Nearly wine'oclock, time to crack open the $4 bottle of De Bortoli Sacred Hill Sauv Blanc from Dan Murphys. No corkage or gratuity at my place. LOL.

Edited by NSWP