Not sure if Oceania Cruise is right for me?

scher

Hi all,

I am a family of 4, 2 adult children 23 and 26 at the time of sailing my husband and my self are in our mid 50's. I have a Celebrity European cruise booked but love the itinerary for the new Sirena coming out. I do not know much about Oceania. Is this not a great choice for bringing along my older kids? Will it be to much of a mature crowd for them? I'm wondering if I should stick with Celebrity. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

I will predict that you are going to get a lot of different answers that may not help!

For me, to begin with it starts with your childrens' interests. They are adults, not youngsters, who generally are not welcomed on most cruises. (Again, that depends on how the children behave.)

I used to go out with my parents' friends on New Year's Eve when I was in my early 20s. I was happy to be with older folks. How will your children do with older passengers? How will YOU do?!

On one of our Renaissance cruises (1999-2001) we had dinner one night with a couple in their late 30s, most of us were 50s to 70s. They said they were having a wonderful time. They'd been taken aback when they saw four wheelchairs being loaded onto the ship when they arrived, but the fact that they were younger than just about everyone didn't bother them at all.

(Dinner Break!)

For me, it depends on the itinerary. If you like the Sirena itinerary, I'd go for it. After all, you are a family... I assume that if you don't find fellow passengers to be compatible, your family is???

We have always opted for sharing tables with other diners and have met wonderful people that way. One night (quite a while back) we were at a table for six and ALL of us were classical musicians. We had a wonderful night. We have almost never had an awkward night ...

For me, choose the itinerary you prefer and go for it.

Mura

The average age will probably be 60+. These are quiet ships both day and night. There is one show around 9:30, some music around in a lounge. These are small ships so the show are small to fit the stage. I guess it is a port intensive trip so all this might not matter. Oceania has a nice product, a step above Celebrity in most cases. Give it a try!

Thanks I think my kids would like at least a few around their age. I think I have my answer. Thank you

Don't count on it. It really depends upon the time of the year you cruise and whether or not your adult children are comfortable around older adults. On our two Riviera cruises, I doubt if there was anyone under 35.

As others have said, it's hard to tell until we know more about what your children like.

My 3 children - in their late 20's and early 30's - love Celebrity, but I don't think they would like Oceania without any night life. Then again, they loved Celebrity in their teens when Celebrity was more like Oceania. They like dressing up, good food, sophisticated settings, etc. But...they do like to meet others and party at night!

Thanks I think my kids would like at least a few around their age. I think I have my answer. Thank you

Understood if that is the case! You know best what your children would like.

OTOH, each cruise is different... but no one can predict if your children would be on the only 20-somethings on that cruise! However, I am gathering you want to play it safe and stick with Celebrity. I can't deny that the odds for younger people are better there!

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise whatever you decide.

Mura

Celebrity was my cruise line of choice for 15 years until I discovered O five years ago. Celebrity had gradually declined foodwise abd I was ripe for a change. Still, at the tender age of 62, I miss the sock hops, Twist contests, and lively disco.

Harry

We are regular Oceania cruisers currently on the celebrity eclipse. This cruise is fabulous and you and your kids will be very happy. Your kids will be bored on Oceania. You might be too. It's a totally different vibe.

Contrary to what some may assume there are no twist contests or anything of the sort. No announcements. Formal nights gone. It's now evening chic. Very upscale feel on ship. We've met many on board who also sail on luxury lines

We are in a suite with private dining room and access to Michaels club It does not feel mass market at all. Great entertainment Fabulous service. Ship is gorgeous

We booked two more while on board

We also have two o cruises booked

We like both lines

But o is not for anyone under 50 imo - maybe some but not many

Edited by bitob

If you book during US vacation times, there will be other young people on board. During our Christmas/New Year's cruise, youngsters ranged from below teen to teens and to twenties. All well behaved, especially the youngest ones.:) The teens and twenties played ping-pong, mini golf (Riviera) and whatever other sport was offered and went off to explore the islands and beaches during the day.

Anyway, for me, the itinerary is really all that counts.

Contrary to what some may assume there are no twist contests or anything of the sort.

The last few Celebrity cruises that I have been on in the Caribbean, there have been small dance contest, Karaoke, etc. Maybe no twisting or sock hops, but plenty of 50's and up music, some ballroom dancing, disco music and dancing ranging from slow to hopping up and down!

European cruises may be different, however.

Floridiana has a good point. It all depends on when you are planning on sailing. ;)

Hi all,

I am a family of 4, 2 adult children 23 and 26 at the time of sailing my husband and my self are in our mid 50's. I have a Celebrity European cruise booked but love the itinerary for the new Sirena coming out. I do not know much about Oceania. Is this not a great choice for bringing along my older kids? Will it be to much of a mature crowd for them? I'm wondering if I should stick with Celebrity. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Could you share the cruises you are both booked on and interested in?

The last few Celebrity cruises that I have been on in the Caribbean, there have been small dance contest, Karaoke, etc. Maybe no twisting or sock hops, but plenty of 50's and up music, some ballroom dancing, disco music and dancing ranging from slow to hopping up and down!

Floridiana has a good point. It all depends on when you are planning on sailing. ;)

There are enough diverse venues that you can avoid what you don't like and gravitate to what you do like

We have not been near karaoke or disco by choice. Instead we listen to small music ensembles or chat with fellow cruisers in a quiet lounge. Not unlike Oceania in that respect.

We are regular Oceania cruisers currently on the celebrity eclipse. This cruise is fabulous and you and your kids will be very happy. Your kids will be bored on Oceania. You might be too. It's a totally different vibe.

Contrary to what some may assume there are no twist contests or anything of the sort. No announcements. Formal nights gone. It's now evening chic. Very upscale feel on ship. We've met many on board who also sail on luxury lines

We are in a suite with private dining room and access to Michaels club It does not feel mass market at all. Great entertainment Fabulous service. Ship is gorgeous

We booked two more while on board

We also have two o cruises booked

We like both lines

But o is not for anyone under 50 imo - maybe some but not many

Thank you for taking the time to let me know this. It is awesome information. This trip as I told my kids is not like a cruise to the caribbean....We are not looking for belly flop contest and wild running around. This is a very tiring port intensive touristy cruise. We know that! However, It would still be nice for the little bit of down time on the cruise for them to meet people of their own age. They are always welcome to hang with us and the old folk but If they could meet some of their own I would be happy for them. My friend booked on Viking and I saw that they include almost everything in their price, which I did not realize. I think I just saw a very large number and looked away quickly. But it included airfare and port excusions and alcohol so it started looking fabulous to me. I then in turn started second guessing this cruise thinking in the end Celebrity which seems less at first glance would end up being more. I saw the O cruise which had great stops on it so was thinking of changing. But I love the celebrity vibe and the Reflection looks like an amazing ship. I think I will stay put. Thanks for all the info you really put it in perspective

If you book during US vacation times, there will be other young people on board. During our Christmas/New Year's cruise, youngsters ranged from below teen to teens and to twenties. All well behaved, especially the youngest ones.:) The teens and twenties played ping-pong, mini golf (Riviera) and whatever other sport was offered and went off to explore the islands and beaches during the day.

Anyway, for me, the itinerary is really all that counts.

No this is a September cruise all the school kids are just going back to school ...no breaks. We are not looking for a ship load of kids just a few good ones in the 20's

We are booked on the Celebrity Reflection in Sept of 2016 it is rome, naples, sicily, athens, mykonos, santorini, rhodes, and kusadsi. We are flying into Venice and then traveling to the port in Civitavecchi stopping in florence. My main objective was 2 fold originally one was to go from Barcelona with ports along the way especially Greece ending in Venice. Second was to be on the cruise during our 30th anniversary. None of that is happening. The ship was important and the clientele was important (for the kids more) I could not get it all. So I ended up forgoing Barcelona. Going on my own to Venice and taking a cruise round trip from Rome. Just to be able to sail on what I though worked best for us being Celebrity Reflection.

The Oceania Cruise had more of what i was looking for port wise. Leaving form Barcelona ending up in Venice only one stop in Greece but I would get over that. Just don't think it would be great for the kids. I was thinking it would be to mature of a crowd. I think I am correct. BTW I will not be on the cruise on my anniversary but I will still be in Rome. Flying home the next day.

Edited by scher

As others have said, it's hard to tell until we know more about what your children like.

My 3 children - in their late 20's and early 30's - love Celebrity, but I don't think they would like Oceania without any night life. Then again, they loved Celebrity in their teens when Celebrity was more like Oceania. They like dressing up, good food, sophisticated settings, etc. But...they do like to meet others and party at night!

Sounds like my kids....a good mix. I'm thinking we would all be happiest of Celebrity. Maybe my husband and myself alone next time on Oceania

Yep. they are good well rounded adult children! :)

We are booked on the Celebrity Reflection in Sept of 2016 it is rome, naples, sicily, athens, mykonos, santorini, rhodes, and kusadsi. We are flying into Venice and then traveling to the port in Civitavecchi stopping in florence. My main objective was 2 fold originally one was to go from Barcelona with ports along the way especially Greece ending in Venice. Second was to be on the cruise during our 30th anniversary. None of that is happening. The ship was important and the clientele was important (for the kids more) I could not get it all. So I ended up forgoing Barcelona. Going on my own to Venice and taking a cruise round trip from Rome. Just to be able to sail on what I though worked best for us being Celebrity Reflection.

The Oceania Cruise had more of what i was looking for port wise. Leaving form Barcelona ending up in Venice only one stop in Greece but I would get over that. Just don't think it would be great for the kids. I was thinking it would be to mature of a crowd. I think I am correct. BTW I will not be on the cruise on my anniversary but I will still be in Rome. Flying home the next day.

Your itinerary is exactly what I want to do again! If I HAD to skip, I would have chosen Barcelona, too. ;)

We have been to all ports except for Rhodes. Santorini, Venice and Rome being my favorites. And the reflection is one of my favorite ships!

You have made an excellent choice. For your next cruise without kids, pick Oceania. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

BTW I will not be on the cruise on my anniversary but I will still be in Rome. Flying home the next day.

Congratulations!

Thirty years is an amazing accomplishment!!!

For that Anniversary Dinner, if you're feeling very flush, may I recommend Imago at the Hassler?

http://www.hotelhasslerroma.com/en/restaurants-bars/imago/menu-and-wine-list

Italy-Rome-Hassler-rooftop.jpgdsc_1158.jpg

Not inexpensive, but the food is beyond beyond and the lights of the eternal city twinkling at your feet might be prove a balm to your not being on the ship for your big day ;)

Hint:

ist2_4755937-rome-fountain-and-spanish-steps.jpg

The Hasser is perched atop the Spanish Steps, quite near the Pantheon.

Have the taxi meet you at the foot of the Spanish Steps, for the most romantic after dinner stroll, EVER! ;)

Edited by StanandJim

Our 31 year old daughter joined us on Marina in November for 25 days. She absolutely loved it! She made many friends, some her age, some older than us! One friend in particular she was talking about and I thought they were of a similar age. Nope! Closer to us....

Mo

Congratulations!

For that Anniversary Dinner, if you're feeling very flush, may I recommend Imago at the Hassler?

Have the taxi meet you at the foot of the Spanish Steps, for the most romantic after dinner stroll, EVER!

I was definitely intrigued by the subject line as we are booked on our first Oceania cruise this summer. Reading the responses, I know we’ll be fine, even if we are the youngest people on our cruise (which I’m sure we won’t be at 47). We did a Viking River Cruise this past summer. Aside from a 14-year old, we were the youngest on board. Other passengers mentioned it numerous times, and a few tried to buy us drinks… perhaps we reminded them of their own children? Anyway, it was a great cruise, and the age difference didn’t bother us.

Thanks Stan & Jim for the Imago recommendation! We will be staying in Rome pre-cruise 2017. It will be our 25th anniversary, and this looks like a great place to celebrate.

Congratulations scher on your upcoming 30th anniversary!

Congratulations!

http://www.hotelhasslerroma.com/en/restaurants-bars/imago/menu-and-wine-list

Italy-Rome-Hassler-rooftop.jpgdsc_1158.jpg

Not inexpensive, but the food is beyond beyond and the lights of the eternal city twinkling at your feet might be prove a balm to your not being on the ship for your big day ;)

Hint:

ist2_4755937-rome-fountain-and-spanish-steps.jpg

Have the taxi meet you at the foot of the Spanish Steps, for the most romantic after dinner stroll, EVER! ;)

This looks amazing and thanks so much for the anniversary wishes.....I will look into it. Remember I don't know how much romance there will be our two kids 26 and 23 will be with us

I was definitely intrigued by the subject line as we are booked on our first Oceania cruise this summer. Reading the responses, I know we’ll be fine, even if we are the youngest people on our cruise (which I’m sure we won’t be at 47). We did a Viking River Cruise this past summer. Aside from a 14-year old, we were the youngest on board. Other passengers mentioned it numerous times, and a few tried to buy us drinks… perhaps we reminded them of their own children? Anyway, it was a great cruise, and the age difference didn’t bother us.

Thanks Stan & Jim for the Imago recommendation! We will be staying in Rome pre-cruise 2017. It will be our 25th anniversary, and this looks like a great place to celebrate.

Congratulations scher on your upcoming 30th anniversary!

Thanks and congrats to you also....Enjoy!