Reboarding after excursions

figi4

Just curious if there is anything for a first time cruiser to know about coming back to port after an excursion (besides being on time)? What is the process etc? Thanks

Typically, you'll have to show both your ship card and a government-issued photo ID for admittance to the dock area (port security). Then you'll show your ship's card again to actually board the ship (ship's security).

If a lot of people are returning at the same time, there may be lines.

any and all bags will be searched. Most ships have towels for when you leave for a beach day and you can drop them in a bin when you return so you don't have to carry them wet back to your cabin.

If you take the blue towels do not just leave them as you will be charged 25.00 per towel missing from your cabin. Leave them on the floor in the bathroom and the steward will pick them up and leave you fresh ones

you will ding your sign and sail card when leaving and ding it back in when you come back

this allows the people on the ship to know you left and when youcome back

Edited by serene56

Just curious if there is anything for a first time cruiser to know about coming back to port after an excursion (besides being on time)? What is the process etc? Thanks

Make sure you have your picture ID and your room key.

If you take the blue towels do not just leave them as you will be charged 25.00 per towel missing from your cabin. Leave them on the floor in the bathroom and the steward will pick them up and leave you fresh ones...

The policies vary among the,various cruise lines so be sure to check with the line.

any and all bags will be searched. Most ships have towels for when you leave for a beach day and you can drop them in a bin when you return so you don't have to carry them wet back to your cabin.

They won't be searched. They will be put through the screener (think airport) and if they find something that looks wrong then they will search you.

You can come and go to the ship as often as you want. Your bags will go thru a scanner...but that's it. Come and go at will! Not a big deal at all.

You can't leave the ship without your card, so you HAVE to have it with you....non-issue.

Edited by cb at sea

You do not not need a picture ID to reboard. Just your cruise card which is also your cabin key.

DON

At some ports you need your picture ID to get into the area that only cruise passengers can go. How are you going to board if they will not allow you on the pier?

At some ports you need your picture ID to get into the area that only cruise passengers can go. How are you going to board if they will not allow you on the pier?

Agreed. I get a little frustrated when people say things like that to new cruisers. I feel it adds to their confusion. :(

Your ship's newsletter will have info about what to take off the ship and what time to be back on board...so I would take that with off the ship. But I would certainly have each person in my group take their photo ID no matter what.

As for returning to port after finishing an excursion (which I'm guessing your actual question): as someone pointed out you can come and go between the time the ship is cleared after getting to port and the time to be back on board (usually an half hour before sailaway). Each time you leave the ship, your cabin card will be scanned at the gangway. When you return, you'll insert that card in a machine that will show the security person at the gangway the photo that gets embedded onto your card (that's done on embarkation day). Each time you reboard, you put your items on a conveyor belt to be scanned.

In many ports, when you leave the ship, your bag/purse/backpack might be checked for food items. There could also be a food-sniffing doggy making sure you don't bring certain food items off the ship. So don't pack a sandwich in the buffet to eat in port.

You do not not need a picture ID to reboard. Just your cruise card which is also your cabin key.

DON

Always a good policy to have picture ID with you. Not all, but most times, security at the gate matches you with the picture ID, then your id name to the name on the ship card, and you are good to go.

It would really suck if you can't even get on the pier.

Agreed. I get a little frustrated when people say things like that to new cruisers. I feel it adds to their confusion. :(

Because at MOST piers you are asked to show a photo ID along with your sign and sail card. I was in a line with a family in front of me and the mom had to stay behind while the rest went and got her drivers license= this was in grand cayman. It is ALWAYS a safe bet to carry that photo id with you.

Edited by serene56

At the top of the gangway as you are getting off will be a sign with the all onboard time. Be sure to be back by then.

If you are at a tend port, the important time is when the LAST tender is schedule to leave the port for the ship. This is usually an hour before scheduled departure.

Yes photo ID is a must to get in to pier area, I've seen loads of people refused entry and then someone else has to reborn the ship to get it. It doesn't have to be passport or drivers license. Last cruise my aunt used her bus pass and I used my social security card, as long as it has your name and photo on it. Also make sure your watch is set to correct time getting off of the ship. I almost missed the last tender once as my phone reset itself to local time & I didn't notice. They often will have a big clock close by when you disembark or just ask security. Also the cruise daily will tell you if you need photo id or not.

All the cruise I have done so far, I was never asked for a Picture ID.... Does San Juan ask for picture ID?

Every time I've gone to San Juan, I have been asked for photo ID and ship card at the security gate to get back on the pier. There are generally police standing guard at the pier itself.

In many ports' date=' when you leave the ship, your bag/purse/backpack might be checked for food items. There could also be a food-sniffing doggy making sure you don't bring certain food items off the ship. So don't pack a sandwich in the buffet to eat in port.[/quote']

Really? I've read that the "lunch" provided with our excursion was pretty bad and was hoping to bring a few things with me. Especially since I'm not supposed to eat bread and they only provide sandwiches.

If I tried and were caught would they do anything besides just throw it away?