Celebrity Food Items: Good and Bad

SerraG

In anticipation of my upcoming Celebrity cruise, I made a spreadsheet with all of the recommendations (and some anti-recommendation) from a the very informative "Favorite Food on Celebrity" thread. I tallied how many people recommended various dishes and listed that ranking next to the item.

I did my best to put each item under its correct dining location, but I haven't been on Celebrity before so I may have made some mistakes.

I would be grateful for any corrections and especially any additional picks and pans.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wHV17Gbyz7MLXFEEzNwqWnkAeh3gVJtaKQsb7Fj8SLM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Why, I'm going to print it out and take it with me, of course. :)

When faced with an array of goodies at Café al Bacio, I want to know that I should try the coconut cake first. And I certainly want to remember not to order the Butternut Squash w/ caramelized apples under any circumstances.:D

Fresh waffles in Oceanview Cafe with orange butter - pure heaven. Ice cream in Oceanview -- pistachio is amazing. All of the ice creams & sorbets were better than the gelato IMO. Rack of lamb, beef Wellington in MDR

Never a dull moment around these forums. A spreadsheet of food choices. That would seem to be a first. What I consider to be good or a favourite is most likely not what others think.I order a piece of grilled salmon with fresh steamed broccoli every night. Seems odd but that's what I like.

I love the chocolate croissants in the buffet. DS raved about them so I gave them a try. Hadn't had a croissant in 14 years after suffering food poisoning in Paris and that was the only thing I had eaten before I got sick. I still don't eat croissants unless it's one of celebrity's.

Why, I'm going to print it out and take it with me, of course. :)

When faced with an array of goodies at Café al Bacio, I want to know that I should try the coconut cake first. And I certainly want to remember not to order the Butternut Squash w/ caramelized apples under any circumstances.:D

Also making note of the favourites from your spreadsheet.

As someone who plans meticulously, I think every occasion should have a relevant spreadsheet. :)

Why not just trust your judgement and if you take a bite of something and don't like it then throw it away and get something else.... it's not like it is costing you any money to do that.

Or, you know, do both. Use the spreadsheet to try other people's favourites and then take some risks.

Truthfully, though, taking a bite of something, then discarding it kind of goes against my grain. I would probably get my husband to eat it.

Edited by CanadianDee

@Higgy64,

This is exactly the throwaway mentality that makes my heart bleed.

It's not costing you extra money, but it's costing a lot of other things...

People have worked hard to grow and harvest the raw material, make the ingredients and cook the meal; it has cost a lot of energy to make it and to transport it the place where it is supposed to be eaten; and creates a lot of waste (not only the food that goes to the bin, but also the plastic wrap etc. )

Animals have worked/died for it... and then it all goes to the bin.

Even my 3-year old daughter knows that it would be disrespectful to treat food, people, animals and environment like that.

:( :( :(

@Higgy64,

This is exactly the throwaway mentality that makes my heart bleed.

It's not costing you extra money, but it's costing a lot of other things...

People have worked hard to grow and harvest the raw material, make the ingredients and cook the meal; it has cost a lot of energy to make it and to transport it the place where it is supposed to be eaten; and creates a lot of waste (not only the food that goes to the bin, but also the plastic wrap etc. )

Animals have worked/died for it... and then it all goes to the bin.

Even my 3-year old daughter knows that it would be disrespectful to treat food, people, animals and environment like that.

:( :( :(

It's best to place the uneaten portion somewhere on the buffet for someone else to enjoy. :p:p:p

I guess a lot of time on the OP's hands. Every dish on the menu can be different, on any given cruise, on any given night, and even different dining times.

Example on our last cruise or GREAT server who knew what we liked, suggest without doubt a dish that everyone was raving about, IT WAS HORRIBLE, LOL, we rarely if ever send a dish back(our bad) since we are not ever truly hungry. Now I was ask by some cruise buds how I like the "same" great dish, they loved it.

Why not just trust your judgement and if you take a bite of something and don't like it then throw it away and get something else.... it's not like it is costing you any money to do that.

It's hard to "trust my judgement" regarding foods that I haven't eaten yet, which is why I was so delighted with the "Favorite Food on Celebrity" thread. I love the idea that 16 strangers have all suggested the escargot. I almost certainly would have skipped it, but now it is on my list of things to try.

I agree with you that it wouldn't cost me any money to just throw away the things I don't like, but that still seems wasteful. Also, I've found that on the odd occasion when I've had to ask for a replacement dish, that dinner is almost over by the time the waiter gets it to me. I'd rather order something delicious the first time if possible.

Chocolate Igloo and vanilla Igloo.

Chocolate classic cake

you left a ton off the list. Are the numbers just the people ordered or a rating. I do not see 10's Lol I see 6 people ordered.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll add them to my spreadsheet. :)

I was just making a quick list of everything that was recommended on the "Favorite Foods on Celebrity" thread, when I realized that many people were repeating the same foods. I added a tally of how many times each dish was discussed. So the numbers to the right of each food item are how many times a particular dish was recommended or advised against by different people.

Everyone is different. I don't even make lists for grocery shopping so

it would never cross my mind to start a spreadsheet for food on a cruise.

Enjoy your list:)