Celebrity Food Items: Good and Bad

SerraG

OMG. I open sheet and start laughing from first item. I love Escargot but Celebrity has the most disgusting one I ever tied in my life. I ordered it once and did not even finish it. :eek: I guess we all different)

You are correct, we are all different. It is what makes the world go round.

If everyone liked to eat the same things, do the same things, watch the

same things, etc....you get the point, life would be quite boring.

I have ordered the Escargot many, many, many times over the years

and found it far from your description. In my opinion, it was always

very, very good.

It does always surprise me when I see negative responses to stuff... Why waste the time criticizing? In this case, commenting that you must've had tons of time seems hypocritical. Why did they have enough time to read the spreadsheet then comment that it was foolish? How was that a good use of time?

Anyway, as a planner, I *love* stuff like this. Good job, and ignore the grouchy people!

Recommendations incoming!!!

Celebrity Summit Normandie & Celebrity Constellation Ocean Liners:

Creamy Maine Lobster Bisque

Wild Forest Mushroom Capuccino

Sweetbreads

Smoked Salmon & Peekytoe Crab Parfait

Escalope of Foie Gras

5 Spice Crusted Venison Loin

Scallops and Lobster

Grand Marnier Soufflé

Crepe Ballon Rouge

Also, the afternoon tea at Ocean Liners was fantastic.

The two restaurants have similar menus, there are some differences but I don't remember which of these dishes I had where.

Edited by vespertino

OMG. I open sheet and start laughing from first item. I love Escargot but Celebrity has the most disgusting one I ever tied in my life. I ordered it once and did not even finish it. :eek: I guess we all different)

Well DUH....no wonder you didn't enjoy the escargot, you are supposed to eat it, not tie it...one question though...what did you use, thread? :eek:

Dear OP,

Excellent idea and thoughtful effort to share the Google spreadsheet of menu items. I have a great appreciation for those that generously go "over and above" the requirements of being a Cruise Critics member.

Cheers to ALL those that find CC an opportunity to learn from others and "pay it forward"..*and disappointed that others have been critical of the way you use your time.* Some people cannot just say thank you!

To add to your list:

MDR: **varies by cruise & ship**

Entrees: Prime Rib, Rack of Lamb, Warm water lobster tail, Braised Beef Short-ribs , Slow Roasted Beef Brisket, Steak Diane, Chateaubriand. Beef Bourguignon, Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb. Moroccan Spiced Ahi Tuna, Moroccan Spiced lamb kabobs, Render Braised Veal, Beef Wellington, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Pan seared Branzino(fish)

Cold fruit soups: Pear & Honey, Silky strawberry soup

Salads: Chicory Apple Pear Salad, Caesars, Boston Lettuce and Gorgonzola, Chop-Chop, Cobb salad, The Wedge Salad, Caprese salad

Hot Soups:Baked French onion soup, Hungarian Beef Goulash.

Apps:shrimp cocktail, escargots, Cajun Shrimp. Poached Pear & Gorgonzola in Phyllo pastry, Warm Goat cheese Choustillant, BBQ Pork Spring Roll, Scallops Rockefeller, Double Baked blue cheese soufflé,

Cafe al Bacio: All the whipped cream frosted cakes, carrots cakes & muffins, oatmeal raisin cookies (several other items worth a try)

Bistro on Five: Mac & cheese with biased short ribs, lamb chops, Croque Madame, Steak Cobb Salad, Cowboy Crepe, Italian dessert crepe

Murano:

APPS: Lobster Bisque, Wild Forrest Mushroom Cappuccino, Warm Goat cheese Soufflé, Diver Scallops

Entree: Dover Sole. Chateaubriand, Murano lobster, Herb crusted Rack of lamb, Venison Loin.

Cheese Course instead of (or in addition to...dessert)

Dessert: 7 shared items (cannot recall the name; Grand Marnier Soufflé

We also like Tuscan Grille, but fewer items @ QSINE.

THANK YOU!!!

I love Escargot but Celebrity has the most disgusting one I ever tied in my life.

I have ordered the Escargot many, many, many times over the years

and found it far from your description. In my opinion, it was always

very, very good.

I have to agree with GOLDENBONNY on the escargot. Utterly tasteless. Such a shame as they are delicious when done properly. I enjoy them on Princess cruises and at local French restaurants.

I appreciate all of the food recommendations and items to avoid that people have listed so far. Thank you! I have updated the spreadsheet to reflect your suggestions. I hope I haven't missed anything.

It’s probably not worth it, but after all the criticism, I feel compelled to bolster my reasoning for creating the spreadsheet. On our last Disney cruise, my entire party found many of the dishes to be extremely hit or miss. Our waiter told us that he didn’t, “care very much about food” and that the only things he liked to eat were pasta and plain chicken. Of course, he was not good at making recommendations and our entire party was tired of sending uneaten food back to the kitchen. At our next port, I searched the web and found several great suggestions for the best things to eat on a Disney cruise. These suggestions completely changed our dining experience for the better. I wanted to make up something similar for Celebrity before I left home.

I was really (foolishly, I suppose) surprised that so many people took the time to post negative responses to my spreadsheet. I could have just written down the suggestions on a notecard to bring with me, but since I suspected other people might want the same information, I tried to tidy it up and post it in a way that would allow them to use it, too.

I love the information, photos, reviews and answers that I have found on the Cruise Critic forums. I would hate for anyone to be discouraged from posting to this Celebrity board because of the negativity.

Be kind. Wouldn’t you rather live in a world where people go out of their way to help each other?

SerraG, where was your spreadsheet for our Disney cruise 2 years ago?! LOL. Sadly, our food on DCL was a huge miss. I understand your reasoning behind the spreadsheet.

And with that, I thank you for taking the time and sharing. Case in point: If I hear rave reviews about a film, I am off to the movie theater! For me, it is the same with food, it's worth checking out if it has good feedback. IDK why some are so critical. (Yes I do, it is a forum and always up for negative dissection, but that's another beast.) Of course everybody has different tastes, but if I'm on the fence about what appetizer to get the good reviews could help me make up my mind.

I get it. And again, I'm still irritated you didn't have it for DCL. :p Ha ha ha

Edited by fly gal
grammatical error

I totally appreciate the effort you have put into this project and agree that it is a wise investment into the enjoyment of a cruise.

I had never enjoyed lamb before. I understand that it needs to be cooked perfectly and served hot. Well, after reading all the rave reviews of the lamb served on Celebrity, I decided to risk it one evening and fell in love! It was so good that I even ordered it for lunch later in the cruise. I have to say that it is the one meal that I am most looking forward to when we board next week so thank you once again for your patience and perseverance and putting up with the negative comments. I'm sure that there are plenty of people whose cruises will be enhanced by your efforts.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

You did a nice job with your chart and I know it will serve you well

I can say that our server (14 nights-Baltics) was spot on with recommendations

One night I didn't like the choices and asked for a Ny Strip... it was terrible!

Any time I took his recs--they were awesome---

Only 1 or two nights were we saying "meh" with the MDR

Murano was outstanding and we met a family that loved Qsine so much they did it 2-3 times during those 2 weeks.

Almost every choice of the spa food was good--including the smoothies and super green drinks.

We skipped Bistro on Five

The cakes and specialty coffees were amazing.. I am partial to fruits and merengue.. and was never disappointed.

On Lido--we found the stir fry-fresh, the curries awesome and generally found nice choices. Some desserts on Lido aren't worth the calories IMHO...

Enjoy your cruise!!

I have updated the spreadsheet for the last time before we depart. I will add to it with my own recommendations after we get back.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wHV17Gbyz7MLXFEEzNwqWnkAeh3gVJtaKQsb7Fj8SLM/edit?usp=sharing

Grandmaanne7, I think I will see you on Saturday! :D

Great! See you onboard then. Safe travels! ☺

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

I am elite plus. I cruise often on Celebrity. In the past year, I sailed on 4 Celebrity cruises. There are several excellent items on the MDR menus. I especially like the onion soup, mushroom soup, melon with prosciutto, cesaer salad, duck, beef wellington, lobster tail, roast beef, beef cheeks, salmon, cheese cake, apple pie and chocolate cake. Ocean View makes great sandwiches, lunch time croissants, evening sushi, and excellent bread pudding. Pool Grill hot dogs and burgers are very good. Cafe Al Bacio has fantastic pastry, good coffees and teas.

I do not like the Top Chefs menu. While the descriptions of the choices sound good, the actual food is not. Having experienced it, I now opt to eat in the Buffet when the Top Chefs menu is being served. I hope that the Top Chefs menu is eliminated soon. I also am getting tired of seeing the same menu choices for several years. Time for new menus with some different choices. It is especially boring on a b2b cruise when you see the same set of menus on both cruises. Just did a pair of b2b 7 night cruises. I was surprised that the same 7 menus were offered.

I have updated the spreadsheet for the last time before we depart. I will add to it with my own recommendations after we get back.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wHV17Gbyz7MLXFEEzNwqWnkAeh3gVJtaKQsb7Fj8SLM/edit?usp=sharing

Grandmaanne7, I think I will see you on Saturday! :D

Wishing you a wonderful cruise ... and, with all the great food choices, you might want to pack at least one pair of slacks with an elastic waist!! (it's been told that the salt water always shrinks your clothes -- or maybe it's some of those great chocolate deserts!):D

Thanks for the spreadsheet. It's making me hungry :eek: