Anthem sailing delayed a day

BUgrad

Try a Trans Pacific with 8 or so in a row. BTW IMHO sea days are the best.

I'm a huge fan of sea days. As far as I'm concerned, the ship can sail several miles out and drop anchor for a week. I've been known to stay onboard at some ports.

Will the cruise line pick up the tips on the day we are stuck out at sea? Thanks for any help. And anyone who thinks that adding a day to an already long 3 days at sea is crazy.

A lot of people like sea days. You may not, but that doesn't make anyone crazy.:rolleyes:

Yes I am, enjoying the free Wi-Fi since Friday afternoon. The ship changed course, sailing much closer to the US, sort of tucking behind the storm. In a detailed weather update you could see that our. Original course would have taken us right through the storm, necessitating much slower speed, and encountering waves as high as 30 feet and winds perhaps as high as 30 feet.

We will still have some moderate to rough seas, but overnight tonight. Tomorrow should be much smoother with some possible sunshine.

Changing the route was an excellent idea, especially considering the seriously rough seas we had already experience on day 2 on the way South.

Free extra day of vacation you guys are crazy we are in a grand loft suite right now on anthem and loving every minute of it. Seas are just staring to get rough and it's only supposed to last the night with possible sun tomorrow. However we were smacked with horrendous seas coming down last week. It's part of sailing north in January I guess. They offered a credit for those of us with paid internet already the rest of ship is now free. They also extended dining packages for the speciality dining and waived tip fees for the bonus day, my bias is we are driving home when we arrive so flights are not involved. Rumor on board for next sailing is an obc and slightly modified itinerary. I would assume skipping hati where they are having trouble anyway.

On the Anthem right now, enjoying the free Wi-Fi since Friday afternoon.

Changed course to kind of tuck in behind the storm, in the Bahamas now. Original route would go throughout the heart of the storm with maybe 30 foot waves.

We will get some motion overnight, but nothing like what we endured on day 2 heading South. Tomorrow will be calm, with possibility of some sun again1

Will the cruise line pick up the tips on the day we are stuck out at sea? Thanks for any help. And anyone who thinks that adding a day to an already long 3 days at sea is crazy.

If you are on a ship that is delayed why don't you just go to guest relations and ask about the tips? They can give you the correct answer, we can't.

Sorry for the people who have to deal with getting flights out when they return and missed work, but an extra free day at sea would be great for me.

Edited by mek

I haven't had the experience of having a cruise lengthened due to weather, but I did have an Allure cruise that morphed from a 7 night to a 5 night due to weather. RC was quite generous - they put us up for 2 nights at Embassy Suites (direct bill - we paid nothing), reimbursed up to $100/day per person for meals (you had to send in receipts), and reimbursed hotel parking with receipt. We also got a $650 per cabin OBC and a future cruise credit for 10% of the amount we'd paid for the cruise, which was about $250 for us. The FCC functioned like a check and we used it to pay on the balance of another cruise.

We put a pencil to it, and after we did the math we figured we actually profited by about $200 on that experience. The downside was we lost 2 nights on Allure, only made it to 2 ports, and had to completely redo our reservations for various things. Our tips, of course, were for 5 nights not 7 since we have them charged daily to our account. (Those who had prepaid got some kind of credit, either OBC or back to their credit card.) I don't know how they'd handle tips for the extra days on a cruise that has to be lengthened. We did get 7 points (not 5) for our shortened cruise.

Judy

I haven't had the experience of having a cruise lengthened due to weather, but I did have an Allure cruise that morphed from a 7 night to a 5 night due to weather. RC was quite generous - they put us up for 2 nights at Embassy Suites (direct bill - we paid nothing), reimbursed up to $100/day per person for meals (you had to send in receipts), and reimbursed hotel parking with receipt. We also got a $650 per cabin OBC and a future cruise credit for 10% of the amount we'd paid for the cruise, which was about $250 for us. The FCC functioned like a check and we used it to pay on the balance of another cruise.

We put a pencil to it, and after we did the math we figured we actually profited by about $200 on that experience. The downside was we lost 2 nights on Allure, only made it to 2 ports, and had to completely redo our reservations for various things. Our tips, of course, were for 5 nights not 7 since we have them charged daily to our account. (Those who had prepaid got some kind of credit, either OBC or back to their credit card.) I don't know how they'd handle tips for the extra days on a cruise that has to be lengthened. We did get 7 points (not 5) for our shortened cruise.

Judy

Hoping they will make us whole on Tuesday. I've missed ports and gotten from $0 to free wifi, but I never had the ship not show up when it was scheduled to depart. We're only an hour and change from Bayonne, so no hotel bills, restaurant etc. to get back. And I realize if we'd booked out of Florida or San Juan we'd be out of luck now, so I guess I should be thankful for that. I'm planning on charging back my employer for wifi, so that wouldn't be a consolation prize I'd prefer this time.

Also, wondering about the tips. Our travel agent offered prepaid gratuities, so that's been taken care of. Will the staff end up being shortchanged, with current cruisers not having to pay tips for the extra day (that they didn't ask for) and Jan. 25 (26) cruisers getting a day of tips returned?

RUMORED NEW ITINERARY.

Jan. 26: Leaving Cape Liberty @ 10pm

Jan. 27: at sea

Jan. 28: at sea

Jan. 29: Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Jan. 30: at sea

Jan. 31: Costa Maya

Feb. 1: Roatan

Feb. 2: Cozumel

Feb. 3: at sea

Feb. 4: at sea

Feb. 5: at sea

Feb. 6: arrive at Cape Liberty @ 7am

On Athem right now...Jan 23. This has been one AMAZING vaca. First off she is spectacular and you all will love it. Always something to do or see. Secondly I find these storms are simply thrilling. What a ride ...thanks to mother nature. And the Airlines have been terrific and rebooked no charge... (southwest)

Royal has given us all free wifi and refunded all who pd for last 3 days only. Also We have missed one show due to turbulent seas...but Royal keeps rescheduling.. so maybe. Gotta go so much to do...

Weather in south Florida has been lousy, on Friday supposed to be in 60s, has been rainy, no longer have hop on hop off bus tours in ft ll. we are trying to be positive, but keep in mind most passengers are not aware of these itenarary changes, there are going to be a lot of upset people on board. I hope rcl gives us an excursion to south beach, free or at a descent rate, that would be great. Rcl make us happy with free parking, etc. be creative in pleasing us. I hope they read our post.

Weather in south Florida has been lousy, on Friday supposed to be in 60s, has been rainy, no longer have hop on hop off bus tours in ft ll. we are trying to be positive, but keep in mind most passengers are not aware of these itenarary changes, there are going to be a lot of upset people on board. I hope rcl gives us an excursion to south beach, free or at a descent rate, that would be great. Rcl make us happy with free parking, etc. be creative in pleasing us. I hope they read our post.

I free trip to south beach would be great. We were there as part of our honeymoon and would love to go back. The weather will be better than it is here so can't complain!

Not a happy camper. I am understanding of the day's delay. I do not want to go to Cape Canaveral. Was looking forward to Caymen Islands and Jamaica. Labardee is always nice and can understand cancelling if there are demonstrators. RCCL has eliminated a day and three ports. They are substituting a port most do not want. This is not the cruise I thought I was going on. Frankly, if they gave me 50 per cent off a future cruise I would not use it. The knowledge in the call center is pathetic. Their answer is there will be a letter in your suite. You cannot tell me they have no readily available answers. They do not even know about Devine Decadence's closing. People have "dynamic" reservations there. We were not given the choice to modify our selection to reflect the change.

Makes a girl love Crystal and Seabourn that much more.

Edited by BUgrad

I'm a huge fan of sea days. As far as I'm concerned, the ship can sail several miles out and drop anchor for a week. I've been known to stay onboard at some ports.

I totally agree and have said the same thing before, but on Anthem departing NJ, I'd rather it sail south a few days before dropping anchor :p

dp

Not a happy camper. I am understanding of the day's delay. I do not want to go to Cape Canaveral. Was looking forward to Caymen Islands and Jamaica. Labardee is always nice and can understand cancelling if there are demonstrators. RCCL has eliminated a day and three ports. They are substituting a port most do not want. This is not the cruise I thought I was going on. Frankly, if they gave me 50 per cent off a future cruise I would not use it. The knowledge in the call center is pathetic. Their answer is there will be a letter in your suite. You cannot tell me they have no readily available answers. They do not even know about Devine Decadence's closing. People have "dynamic" reservations there. We were not given the choice to modify our selection to reflect the change.

Devinely Decadence did not close, it just changed it's name to Solarium Bistro with a different menu for dinner. Still serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and dinner is now complimentary.

The reality of it all is that when you book a cruise in January sailing out of a port that is cold and can get snow, you have to expect that this type of weather might just affect your sailing. It is not RCI's fault. Blame it on Mother Nature.

Edited by cruisenfever

We were on the Explorer a few years ago when it was delayed a day due to medical evacuation of a passenger. It was a 10 day cruise. They worked with all the passengers who arrived by plane for the original departure, gave all of a refund of 15% and port charges for the port we missed, Labadee, and yes we still got 10 points. We live in NJ, so we didn't have any hotel isues, but heard they worked with anyone who arrived early, putting them up in hotels, etc. Heard no real complaints, except for those who would have redone the itinerary differently.

This whole debacle could be avoided if the ship was home ported in Florida during the winter. It is crazy to me that anyone would book a cruise sailing in the North Atlantic for a winter vacation. If you are crazy enough to book then only expect the crazy to happen.

The fact that you are comparing Royal Caribbean to Seabourn and Crystal and that a name change of a restaurant is going to upset you tells a lot about your unrealistic expectations. BTW, Solarium Bistro is an upgrade from Divinely Decadence. I think a conversation with Mother Nature is in order, perhaps she can give yo a 50% cruise credit! You should get a day refunded for you cruise for sure, but they can take you anywhere they want. We recently missed an entire day of a cruise on NCL that was the fault of NCL and not mother nature and received $50/room that they never told you about and free drinks from 11 PM- 2AM on the first night. For those with a drink package, there was nothing refunded. So appreciate anything that you get, because it could be nothing!

Devinely Decadence did not close, it just changed it's name to Solarium Bistro with a different menu for dinner. Still serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and dinner is now complimentary.

The reality of it all is that when you book a cruise in January sailing out of a port that is cold and can get snow, you have to expect that this type of weather might just affect your sailing. It is not RCI's fault. Blame it on Mother Nature.

I believe the OP said they are understanding of the delay. It seems to me

what they are unhappy with is how RCCL is dealing with restructuring the cruise.

This whole debacle could be avoided if the ship was home ported in Florida during the winter. It is crazy to me that anyone would book a cruise sailing in the North Atlantic for a winter vacation. If you are crazy enough to book then only expect the crazy to happen.

Seriously? Do you have a dog in this fight? It's one storm. The vast majority of cruises out of Baltimore and Cape Liberty are not impacted by winter storms.

You could say the same thing about people cruising out of FL during hurricane season (6 months out of the year). Cruises out of FL are impacted more often by hurricanes than cruises out of the NE are impacted by blizzards. We cruised out of NJ 5 days after Sandy hit and we weren't sure we could get to NJ by Amtrak until two days before. Stuff happens.

We personally don't choose to cruise in January. We cruised last year in Feb only because good friends asked us to join them. After this last cruise on Vision that got us back in mid-Dec, we won't be booking one for Dec again, but more because it was too close to Christmas than possible weather issues.

Edited by BND

Really? So I suppose RCI homeporting in Tampa during winter is also crazy since last year the same thing happened there (ship was delayed a day by weather - fog).:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you been in this situation with Crystal or Seabourn? I'd be curious to know how they handled it. Although I agree that RCI's customer service reps are woefully uninformed about breaking news, my experience has been that the other mainstream lines aren't much better.

I'm also curious what you expected RCI to do - sail into the teeth of a blizzard and jeopardize their multi-gazillion dollar investment, not to mention the lives of all onboard, just to get to New Jersey on time? Change the cruise after yours so that your vacation isn't affected? Whaaaaat?

This whole debacle could be avoided if the ship was home ported in Florida during the winter.

Or LA.....