New charge for chocolate treats in International cafe?

anteaters

We just received a Princess e-mail of food information for our approaching February cruise and the following paragraph that I copied here was one description/information item. So, please read the below and for anyone who has cruised in the last month or so (this is for our Caribbean Princess cruise), has the International cafe begun charging for desserts like the below?

CHOCOLATE DAY & NIGHT Each day you’ll discover a new, premium chocolate treat in the 24-hour International Café. From Milk Chocolate Mousse Caramel and Chocolate Flan to Peanut Butter Chocolate Tarts and Milk Chocolate Chantilly Éclairs, you may just find yourself visiting morning, noon and night!

Charges apply.

On Crown, Emerald and Ruby gelato is sold at the IC (unlike on Royal and Regal which have a separate stand). So Princess always puts the "charges apply" disclaimer whenever advertising the IC even if not specifically discussing the gelato. Presumably on orders from the Legal Department.

When the first IC opened there were several extra charge items since eliminated, such as the fondue which has now resurfaced in the HC on Royal and Regal. So given the combination of the previous lack of success with surcharges at the IC plus the all the publicitiy they continue to wring from the Chocolate Journeys "experience" I imagine Princess realizes what a bad idea it would be to charge for any daily special chocolate at the IC. (Almost as bad an idea as serving small plate dinners for a fee at Wheelhouse Bar :eek:)

We just received a Princess e-mail of food information for our approaching February cruise and the following paragraph that I copied here was one description/information item. So, please read the below and for anyone who has cruised in the last month or so (this is for our Caribbean Princess cruise), has the International cafe begun charging for desserts like the below?

CHOCOLATE DAY & NIGHT Each day you’ll discover a new, premium chocolate treat in the 24-hour International Café. From Milk Chocolate Mousse Caramel and Chocolate Flan to Peanut Butter Chocolate Tarts and Milk Chocolate Chantilly Éclairs, you may just find yourself visiting morning, noon and night!

Charges apply.

I found the same statement on the Princess website Chocolate Journey's tab of the Food & Dining section.

Their news center has an article about the continuation & expansion of the Norman Love options stating that in the IC that *Nominal charge applies for certain items".

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2015/12/Chocolate.html#.VqPmnY-cGUl

The new “Chocolate Journeys” offerings, rolling out fleetwide in early 2016, include:

International Café Treats* - Each day in the International Café, a chocolate treat designed by Chef Love will be featured, from milk chocolate mousse, caramel and chocolate flan to peanut butter chocolate tarts and milk chocolate Chantilly éclairs.

● Horizon Court Breakfast Items - Throughout the voyage, savory breakfast items featuring touches of premium chocolate will be offered, such as chocolate muffins, Bretons, puff pastry and Danishes.

● Horizon Court Evening Treats - Each evening, a delicious new chocolate cake will be served so guests can sample a new flavor each night.

● Afternoon Tea – Offered during the line’s popular afternoon tea, guests will be treated to scrumptious chocolate bites designed by Chef Love, paired with a selection of flavorful teas and other traditional afternoon tea fare.

● Chocolate Soufflé - Available on select evenings during the voyage, the main dining room dessert menu will feature a new signature Chocolate Soufflé, developed in partnership with Chef Love.

● Chocolate Cookie - Chef Love unveils his unique recipes for delicious premium Chocolate Journeys cookies, found in select locations around the cruise ship, including the International Café and Movies Under the Stars.

*Nominal charge applies for certain items

Edited by Astro Flyer

I truly hope there are no new charges at the IC. We really enjoy this venue, but wouldn't pay for the food there.

Based on what Princess has in writing, "certain" Norman Love items at the IC will have a "nominal charge". :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

If I am reading this correctly it sounds as though each day and night, in various venues, there will be chocolate desserts for free. However, there may be certain 'premium chocolate desserts' which involve a fee. So you can eat and enjoy the free special chocolate desserts or pay a nominal fee for the extra special desserts. It would be great if there were no charges, but this seems to be the way of the modern cruise no matter what line you travel. Pick your chocolate dessert for free or pay. Your choice. Enjoy!

It amazes me the little ways the cruise lines find to nickel and dime us. I don't like the direction Princess and other lines are going. Before you know it everything on a ship will be "for a fee". We'll be renting towels and linens for our cabins some day. As long as we go for it they will keep on doing it. Will it ever stop?

I Love Norman Love, but Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It amazes me the little ways the cruise lines find to nickel and dime us. I don't like the direction Princess and other lines are going. Before you know it everything on a ship will be "for a fee". We'll be renting towels and linens for our cabins some day. As long as we go for it they will keep on doing it. Will it ever stop?

I Love Norman Love, but Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

They will soon charge for punching a hole in your cruise card so you can attach your lanyard to it and wear it around your neck as most Aussie cruisers do. Plus 15% gratuity of course.LOL.

Blame the bean counters at Carnival Corp., trying to make a buck for their shareholders, of which I am NOT one !!

Anyway off topic, back to it, that Premium Chocolate on the Princess ships must be like the price of Gold, charging for any cake/pastry that adourns it.

Edited by NSWP

They will soon charge for punching a hole in your cruise card so you can attach your lanyard to it and wear it around your neck as most Aussie cruisers do. Plus 15% gratuity of course.LOL.

Blame the bean counters at Carnival Corp., trying to make a buck for their shareholders, of which I am NOT one !!

Anyway off topic, back to it, that Premium Chocolate on the Princess ships must be like the price of Gold, charging for any cake/pastry that adourns it.

Well now that you mention it the price of coco beans has risen dramatically and I understand this years crop is not great. If we are talking about good chocolate and not the fluff they pass off as chocolate then I would be willing to pay for it. I don't eat it every day so I'm fine with it. And yes a good cup of coffee and a custard filled donut in the morning and I'm happy. I can't seem to find them every morning :(

On our recent cruise this month (Regal), the IC had started charging for premium desserts. They still had the usual complimentary offers, but in the centre window display, they had a premium range that was being charged.

Never tried it though. Stuck with the complimentary range.

Right now there is so much food to choose from I'm not worried about finding something to eat. I have yet to try the Gelato and probably never will but I'm glad they offer it even for a charge.

This was mentioned back when they announced Norman Love. As I understand it, they use a premium grade chocolate for those, and given the cost increases in high end cocoa products recently, I can see a VERY small charge (I don't like it, but I can see it).

Interesting....we cruise both tomorrow for 7 days and again in Mar for 10 days on the Caribbean Princess and have received NO such email. We have received the public health emergency emails about the Zikra virus in the past 2 days, but that is all.

I get the rationale (I suppose) but this is just another for-fee item on the ship. I have not been cruising as long as many, but even since I began I am finding the 'extras' seem to be coming out of the woodwork. I tend to avoid these options but it is starting to feel like all my favourite venues are packing on the charges .. $2.75 for OJ in Horizon Court, $$ for desserts in the IC ... all these extra charges make it feel cheap somehow.

It's worth a comparison to lines like Oceania where many/most of these extras are included. If you want to indulge without digging out your cruisecard every 5 minutes that might be the way to go, I suppose something to think about.