I am hoping this is not inappropriate....

lahlah57

You can pre-purchase beverage cards to pay for drinks. If you book your specialty restaurants, you pay for them immediately. I believe with a phone call (not on line) you can purchase unlimited laundry. Pre-purchased obc will cover any charge on the ship from HSC to bingo to specialty coffees. Lots of options on the Hal website for pre-purchasing. Anything bought on the HAL website is charged for immediately and pre-paid

That's exactly what you did when you said:

EVERYONE will in the end receive less money than if you had left the HSC intact, including those that you give cash to who can not keep it. Ergo, you've stiffed crew.

OK let's see, you decrease or remove the HSC. Then in turn, tipped in cash to the different venues more then the suggested amount. This money now gets pooled, according to some. Personally I don't believe that from experience, but let's just say it gets pooled. The then pooled money gets split between all the different venues that are in the HSC. How is the staff better off with the less amount of money from the automatic service charge or the person who tipped in cash more money?

I would write down a list/spreadsheet of your budgeted MUST DO/HAVE items... Pricing can be found on HAL website...,,

Along with the hotel service charge, add these up - perhaps you can pre purchase some of these onboard amenities, a little at a time, to ease the burden of a one time whopping statement/payment. You can also purchase OBC (I know our sons gifted us OBC for a special occassion).

Everyone's needs and wants (and yes they are two different things) vary. Only you can determine what you feel is really necessary to add to the enjoyment of your trip.

But it can be done, bit by bit, purchasing or putting away monies, a little at a time. I know I purchase any shore excursions far out .... and then that alleviates the costs on any last minute planning/independent tours.

If you pre-purchase any amenities (wine packages, specialty restaurants) and you are entitled to a discount as a 3,4 or 5 star mariner - then you will receive the credit once on board - reflected on your onboard account, If it does not appear, just go to the front desk and request it.

I guess what everyone is saying, is that only you can decide what spending you want to do....I have walked off owing on my shipboard account, having a zero balance, and yes, even a CREDIT on my shipboard account credited to my charge card this last trip (shore excursions cancelled due to lack of minimum participation, and rebooking less expensive ones as replacement).

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

OK let's see, you decrease or remove the HSC. Then in turn, tipped in cash to the different venues more then the suggested amount. This money now gets pooled, according to some. Personally I don't believe that from experience, but let's just say it gets pooled. The then pooled money gets split between all the different venues that are in the HSC. How is the staff better off with the less amount of money from the automatic service charge or the person who tipped in cash more money?

Staying with your example from an accounting standpoint the whole staff is better off if you are now tipping more than the intact HSC. The downside is the hassle for the people you've tipped out of hand having to turn in the cash tips. I have to say my experience is absolutely opposite of yours in that everybody I've dealt with has reaffirmed cash tips received from passengers who have decreased or removed the HSC have to be turned in. It was and has been clearly stated to me and I've seen it in writing that failure to do so could result in demotion, firing, or other adverse personnel action. My only caveat is bar staff but they're no part of the HSC pool so cash tips to them aren't impacted regardless of whatever you do with the HSC. But back to your example. Let's say I remove the HSC because I think service in the dining has been substandard to just plain bad. So now I take that $250 and give it to staff in the HSC pool like my cabin attendant/steward. On the surface they might appreciate you thought of them but in the long run they aren't getting a red cent extra.

Edited by Randyk47

The then pooled money gets split between all the different venues that are in the HSC.
There's the catch. Not everyone is in the HSC pool. Any bartenders/wine stewards you gave cash to came out a little ahead (although they also did not get to keep the full amount you gave them either) while everyone in the HSC pool got less than they should have.

There's the catch. Not everyone is in the HSC pool. Any bartenders/wine stewards you gave cash to came out a little ahead (although they also did not get to keep the full amount you gave them either) while everyone in the HSC pool got less than they should have.

That's what makes the cash tipping nice, imo. It brightens people's day around the ship. It's so unappreciated to just get a HSC with no interactions. We always give more than then HSC anyways unless something really really bad happens which has only one time on another cruise line. It's not hard to give $100 to the room stewards and anther $100 to the dinner crew. That's more than the HSC for a 7 day. Then just a few bucks here and there to random helpful crew. If they pool it, everyone is covered and if they don't they got a few extra bucks. Either way I'm happy.

You can pre-purchase beverage cards to pay for drinks. If you book your specialty restaurants, you pay for them immediately. I believe with a phone call (not on line) you can purchase unlimited laundry. Pre-purchased obc will cover any charge on the ship from HSC to bingo to specialty coffees. Lots of options on the Hal website for pre-purchasing. Anything bought on the HAL website is charged for immediately and pre-paid

I would write down a list/spreadsheet of your budgeted MUST DO/HAVE items... Pricing can be found on HAL website...,,

Along with the hotel service charge, add these up - perhaps you can pre purchase some of these onboard amenities, a little at a time, to ease the burden of a one time whopping statement/payment. You can also purchase OBC (I know our sons gifted us OBC for a special occassion).

Everyone's needs and wants (and yes they are two different things) vary. Only you can determine what you feel is really necessary to add to the enjoyment of your trip.

But it can be done, bit by bit, purchasing or putting away monies, a little at a time. I know I purchase any shore excursions far out .... and then that alleviates the costs on any last minute planning/independent tours.

If you pre-purchase any amenities (wine packages, specialty restaurants) and you are entitled to a discount as a 3,4 or 5 star mariner - then you will receive the credit once on board - reflected on your onboard account, If it does not appear, just go to the front desk and request it.

I guess what everyone is saying, is that only you can decide what spending you want to do....I have walked off owing on my shipboard account, having a zero balance, and yes, even a CREDIT on my shipboard account credited to my charge card this last trip (shore excursions cancelled due to lack of minimum participation, and rebooking less expensive ones as replacement).

Carol

Thank you Jacqui and Carol for your information to help the OP plan for a different type of cruise! I think there are more than enough ideas here to get them started in their new direction. If the OP has more specific questions maybe we can help again. m--

It's not hard to give $100 to the room stewards and anther $100 to the dinner crew.
If I was a room steward I would not be thrilled to be handed $100 which I would soon have to turn in, and then get less than I should have since you shorted the pool.

If I was a room steward I would not be thrilled to be handed $100 which I would soon have to turn in, and then get less than I should have since you shorted the pool.

According to the majority of the boards they pool the tips in cash so it will be balanced out. 12.5 x two people for 7 days $175. That's less than $200 plus extras I mentioned. I didn't say who I tipped extra but you wouldn't have to guide me, I'll figure it out.

......but new to HAL and am used to cruiselines that were pretty close to all inclusive.

We wanted to try something different on a new build.

In october we will be on a 2 week on Koningsdam and we put down our deposit. We started to count up all the items we will have to pay out of pocket once on board and we came across a figure which is what it is :eek:

On your recently past cruises once you disembarked what was your final bill and how many days was your cruise? I am working too hard at trying to be prepared w/o fainting!

Please forgive me for being nosy:o

I'll admit that I only scanned this thread, but what do you normally pay for your all inclusives? Are they on land or sea? What were the things you added up to get the scary figure on HAL? What did you pay for your accommodations? What kind of cabin did you book? Also, what is the sailing date and the ship or class of ships?

And therein lies the trouble and problem. Really turns out to be a " Thanks for nothing. All you've done is make my life more complicated." And none of the staff is going to be ungracious enough to tell the tipper that.

We both know that rationalization and convoluted logic can be such a comfort. Might as well save the bandwidth. ;)

We both know that rationalization and convoluted logic can be such a comfort. Might as well save the bandwidth. ;)

It's convoluted to think the tips are pooled. That's exactly what I think also. I'm so with you on saving bandwidth also. I like to keep things short.

It's convoluted to think the tips are pooled. That's exactly what I think also. I'm so with you on saving bandwidth also. I like to keep things short.

If you remove the HSC, your service personnel are required to pool the cash tips. It's in the rules for employees. Based on my experience of having posted these rules several dozen times in the past two years, I've yet to see anyone who questioned the policy - and was confronted with the actual policy, in writing - apologize. I've reached the conclusion that certain people (and amongst them, you) are just looking for a reason to stiff the employees.

Prove me wrong. Keep the hotel service charge in place and tip extra. :)

Tipping is an incidental to us. when someone is really awesome they would get extra. Understood the behind the scenes folks need a little peice of the pie too with the automatic tipping protocol.

For a 2 week cruise on Crystal to say.....Australia....a window room no balcony for $4200 each. Includes drinks, internet, gratuities, specialties,spa steam and sauna, enrichment classes,entertainment,room service and a free laundromat(woo hoo!).

You can pretty well guess what is important to us.

Really just wanted to know what people pay once trip is said and done other then the cruise itself. Including beverage cards, OBC minus what the cruise or TA gives you. Anything that is out of your pocket. What can you spend and end up with at the end of it all.It sounds like we need a few $100 beverage cards and put a few thousand in the OBC.

Flying to Rome and cruising to 5 ports in Spain and 1 in Portugal. Leaving there for 7 sea days and landing in Fort Lauderdale.

What part of the paragraph from HAL's employee manual that I cited and gave a link to in post #36 don't you understand?

I bet you are a controller or something. Again, I don't believe they are pooled from numerous cruises. Should I bolded my text?

If you remove the HSC, your service personnel are required to pool the cash tips. It's in the rules for employees. Based on my experience of having posted these rules several dozen times in the past two years, I've yet to see anyone who questioned the policy - and was confronted with the actual policy, in writing - apologize. I've reached the conclusion that certain people (and amongst them, you) are just looking for a reason to stiff the employees.

Prove me wrong. Keep the hotel service charge in place and tip extra. :)

We have discussed the cash vs HSC previously in this thread. Read back a few posts.

Yes, I did, and, yes, I already knew the answer. But I wanted a response from the poster who did think it was possible.

I'd be interested to read that response too. It sounds like the poster is saying go to the front office and tell them that whatever portion of the HSC is alloted to (say) the MDR servers he wants reduced/cut to a lesser percentage. I would hope the Front Office would decline, or at the very least ask for a very good reason.

We have discussed the cash vs HSC previously in this thread. Read back a few posts.

You might want to read the post where the pooled tipping policy is quoted. It's earlier in this thread, too. The link requires reading and clicking and more reading. Quite overwhelming, really.