Canceling cruise due to Zika virus

illiniwahoo

Just heard on the Nightly News that Carnival Cruise Lines and United are giving full refunds for pregnant women traveling to locations officially noted as having the Zika virus. Hopefully Celebrity follows suit.

You can also directly appeal to the cruise company to refund your money. We had to do this once with Carnival 8 days prior to a cruise (Dad ended up in ICU and Mom with Alzheimer's. Doc wrote a letter saying I was only person available to make life and death decisions for my dad.) They did not refund our $, but gave us future cruise credit assessing only a $50 pp penalty. Since then we always buy cruise insurance. I only mention this because it might give you some different options to offer to Celebrity. Good luck and take care of yourself - that's what is important.

Edited by Love PalmTrees
parentheses in error

OP - Please cancel regardless of cost. Many years ago dw and I took vacation that turned out to be extremely stressful. Shortly after she miscarried. We still second guess ourselves for taking the trip. The odds of something going wrong may be small, but why take the risk? If something happens to your baby you'll never forgive yourself.

I'm so sorry you can't go but you are making the right decision- please keep us up to date on what happens with your refund. I will be very disappointed in the cruise lines if they don't allow full refunds for pregnant women.

I am a mosquito magnet and concerned about reports of Guillain-Barre Syndrome following a Zika infection and Chikungunya long term effects. GBS is quite rare and there are now spikes occurring that seem to be associated with Zika.

We will be bringing several cans of Deep Woods DEET along with some DEET towelettes for the face. I plan to spray the outside of my clothing, bare legs and wipe face before going ashore. We will also be mindful that this particular mosquito lives indoors, especially in toilet tanks and wet shower floors (they apparently seek shade) and are daytime feeders.

I may have gotten a mosquito bite once on a ship but only once as I recall. We still plan to use our balcony and I hope others will be cautious as well and keep their balcony doors closed at all times.

On a stop in Dominica a few years ago, they swarmed me in the forest on a bird watching expedition despite liberal spraying beforehand- they went for my face which I hadn't treated -so I sprayed it too- not recommended- breathed in a bit but luckily didn't go into my eyes. Definitely bring towelettes for the face.

We just booked our cruise a few weeks ago and were fully aware prior to the booking of the presence of mosquito borne diseases which are endemic now in the Caribbean and in a few years, probably heading N to the US and beyond. Isn't the mode of transmission, mosquitoes biting infected persons and then biting someone else? Hopefully we can keep our infection rates down and not bring it back to our home countries?

I would be leery about bringing young kids ashore- would be inclined to leave them in the wonderful children's programs on board unless they will cooperate with a spray down regimen after swimming/snorkeling/sweating onshore.

Congratulations on your baby. United & American Airlines just announced that they are giving full refunds to pregnant women (& their family members) that are traveling to areas that have the virus & this is for nonrefundable tickets. I would contact Captains Club immediately & ask the question. I'd be shocked if you weren't offered full refund.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! You'll now be making decisions that effect both you and the baby. I would no doubt cancel, even if at a financial loss. Hopefully Celebrity steps up as other companies have. Enjoy planning for the baby's arrival and plan a family trip for when this has passed. Let us know how this works out.

What did you decide? One of our ports, DR is now included. I've never been bit on a cruise or at an all inclusive resort, except the time we ventured into the caves in Mexico, very deep woods. There is no definitive fact that Zika is the actual cause yet, and deet is safe for pregnant women (sparingly). I think we will still plan on going, I'll be 23 weeks, which is also safer than the first trimester.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is a travel insurance matter not a matter for cruise lines to resolve. If cruise lines bow to this issue what about influenza outbreaks, malaria, and many other tropical and sub tropical diseases around the world where cruise ships visit, should they also allow cancellation at the whim of a particular passenger. This Zika issue is not new and has been around a long time, its just that it is highly prevalent in countries like Brazil and the Olympics are coming.

Edited by Beanb41

To the OP, so sorry about having to cancel, but congratulations on your pregnancy and hope all turns out well.

I disagree strongly with anyone saying go anyway. We are not talking about getting sick ourselves necessarily. If you read the articles you will notice that a large percentage of people infected show no symptoms at all, and the ones who do are generally mild. So for myself or even for my kids if they were younger, I would bring the bug spray and use it liberally then not worry about it. But the issue is the unborn baby and extremely serious disabilities. Can you imagine how you would feel if you went anyway and as a result your unborn baby died or experienced a horrible disability - all because you took a cruise where you knew there was a risk?! A cruise is worth that risk? I think not. It is an individual decision and I will not sit in judgment of others' decisions, but speaking for myself, there is no way in the world I would risk it.

Educate yourself :)

How does Zika cause brain damage in infants?

Experts are only beginning to figure it out.

Scientists do not fully understand the connection. The possibility that the Zika virus causes microcephaly – unusually small heads and damaged brains – emerged in October, when doctors in northern Brazil noticed a surge in babies with the condition.

It may be that other factors, such as simultaneous infection with other viruses, are contributing to the rise; investigators may even find that Zika virus is not the main cause, although right now circumstantial evidence strongly suggests that it is.

It is not known how common microcephaly has become in Brazil’s outbreak. About three million babies are born in Brazil each year. Normally, about 150 cases of microcephaly are reported, and Brazil says it is investigating nearly 4,000 cases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The problem is, you don't know, so are you willing to take the risk? Some pretty strong warnings coming from the governments would sure scare me. Are governments always right? Heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time a scare didn't turn out to be as bad as originally thought. Again, speaking for myself, I do not judge others who think cancelling is overly cautious or premature. But I myself would not risk it - a personal decision

Very surprised at some of these postings. A 23 weeker is not viable. But I agree with Phoenix Dream- to each his own.

It will only be known later if 2nd and 3rd trimester fetuses are not at risk.

And we can be certain it is circulating right now throughout the Caribbean- not just in the countries who have reported it so far.

It may even be in circulation in warmer parts of the US.

Our Dominican birder guide expressed frustration two years ago about a dengue outbreak- said authorities did no prophylactic blanket spraying and instead, sent out a few guys with handheld sprayers to treat individual homes of those with dengue.

Let's remember that these are mostly poor countries with inadequate public health depts. and policies. And even wealthier countries will have a hard time eradicating. The good news is it sounds like a vaccine can be developed in a few years- similar to the Yellow Fever vaccine?

Celebrity Cruises is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We have been closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. We will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty.

In order to reduce the risk of contracting any number of diseases spread by mosquito bite, including Zika virus, we urge our guests to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites by remaining in well screened or air conditioned areas when possible, by wearing light-colored clothing that adequately covers the arms and legs, and by applying insect repellant to both skin and clothing.

Should you have any additional questions about the Zika virus we encourage you to visit the CDC's website.

Thank you to Celebrity Cruises for providing a formal response. I would urge anyone who is traveling to these areas and is pregnant or may potentially become pregnant between now and their cruise to consult with their physicians.

Edited by kathynorth

Okay, so we are sailing on Royal Caribbean the end of February. We have a stop in Cozumel, and my DIL just announced she was pregnant about 2 weeks ago. They had taken travel insurance from CSA.

When the Zika virus exploded in the news, they knew they had to cancel. When we called RCCL first, they said that they "highly recommend" pregnant women not cruise to affected countries. They said we should be able to get a full refund if we had travel insurance.

I called CSA which provided the travel insurance via Vacations to Go, the travel agency used. CSA couldn't guarantee anything, but the person I spoke with said that this would probably not qualify for coverage since a regular, uncomplicated pregnancy was not a covered condition. And travel warnings were also not a covered reason to cancel.

(I work in Insurance and have for 30 years. I worked for a Life Insurance company when 9/11 happened. We did not invoke the "Act of War" clause and we paid all our Life claims. And many other mainstream insurance companies did the same. They stepped up. CSA did not step up. This Zika situation does not easily fit any of the exclusions, or covered reasons. So to stick to the contract wording is not the way to build customer satisfaction.)

I was getting ready to argue with them (over what would probably be many months), when I saw a post here that Celebrity was offering to rebook for no fee, or give a cruise voucher good for up to two years. I knew RCCL would do the same.

I just got done working with our travel agent, who was great throughout this process, and we are going to take the voucher. The voucher is actually the amount of what would have been the forfeiture amount, and they will refund the rest to the credit card used to make the final payment.

And Southwest actually refunded them their airline ticket purchase, not a voucher!, too.

So, Royal Caribbean gets a :), and VAcations to Go gets a :), and Southwest gets a :). CSA gets a :mad:

So now, we'll plan a cruise for sometime in 2017/2018. And maybe this time the grandkids can come along!

Okay, so we are sailing on Royal Caribbean the end of February. We have a stop in Cozumel, and my DIL just announced she was pregnant about 2 weeks ago. They had taken travel insurance from CSA.

When the Zika virus exploded in the news, they knew they had to cancel. When we called RCCL first, they said that they "highly recommend" pregnant women not cruise to affected countries. They said we should be able to get a full refund if we had travel insurance.

I called CSA which provided the travel insurance via Vacations to Go, the travel agency used. CSA couldn't guarantee anything, but the person I spoke with said that this would probably not qualify for coverage since a regular, uncomplicated pregnancy was not a covered condition. And travel warnings were also not a covered reason to cancel.

(I work in Insurance and have for 30 years. I worked for a Life Insurance company when 9/11 happened. We did not invoke the "Act of War" clause and we paid all our Life claims. And many other mainstream insurance companies did the same. They stepped up. CSA did not step up. This Zika situation does not easily fit any of the exclusions, or covered reasons. So to stick to the contract wording is not the way to build customer satisfaction.)

I was getting ready to argue with them (over what would probably be many months), when I saw a post here that Celebrity was offering to rebook for no fee, or give a cruise voucher good for up to two years. I knew RCCL would do the same.

I just got done working with our travel agent, who was great throughout this process, and we are going to take the voucher. The voucher is actually the amount of what would have been the forfeiture amount, and they will refund the rest to the credit card used to make the final payment.

And Southwest actually refunded them their airline ticket purchase, not a voucher!, too.

So, Royal Caribbean gets a :), and VAcations to Go gets a :), and Southwest gets a :). CSA gets a :mad:

So now, we'll plan a cruise for sometime in 2017/2018. And maybe this time the grandkids can come along!

I like Happy Endings! :)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=520267

Check out Abesco1886's Riviera review to read about his experience with cruise insurance. He must be an attorney- knew what action to take!

I was always skeptical of travel insurance and this review made me even more so.

I had a minor charge for a single visit to the ship's dr on our last cruise and for the heck of it, tried to file a claim- the paperwork they required was too onerous and ridiculous- just gave up.

I don't think it's known yet if past infection confers immunity. If it does, that would be great and would also mean the vaccine will be easier to develop.

There is also the option to go on the cruise but stay indoors on the shop on port days. It won't be a beach vacation but it's still a cruise.

And what is going to keep the mosquitoes from flying from shore to the ship. The distance is not that far. Cancel!!

There was one post on this topic that compared going to one of the infected countries when pregnant to putting your newborn baby in the middle of a country road at midnight. Is the child likely to be hit by a car - no. Would any responsible mother do it - no way.

DON

And what is going to keep the mosquitoes from flying from shore to the ship.

DON

Indeed!! I mentioned this previously in this thread -- I have gotten mosquito bites while being on the ship before! It does happen!! I have seen the little buggers hitch a ride onboard.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=520267

Check out Abesco1886's Riviera review to read about his experience with cruise insurance. He must be an attorney- knew what action to take!

I was always skeptical of travel insurance and this review made me even more so.

I had a minor charge for a single visit to the ship's dr on our last cruise and for the heck of it, tried to file a claim- the paperwork they required was too onerous and ridiculous- just gave up.

Excellent post. I have purchased that insurance before several times so I learned something today.

I once had to use travel insurance and it is true....lots of paperwork needs to be sent in....and then more and then maybe a bit more. Mine was pretty cut and dried as I had acute appendicitis and my doctor was great about filling out the paperwork I needed in a very timely manner ... and forbid me from going on vacation. Well, I really felt pretty sick and was in total agreement with him. Anyhow, I was back at work for quite some time by the time the insurance kicked in ... they ended up paying for all of it!

Indeed!! I mentioned this previously in this thread -- I have gotten mosquito bites while being on the ship before! It does happen!! I have seen the little buggers hitch a ride onboard.

Interesting story from a few years ago about malaria cases near European airports involving people who haven't travelled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2222177.stm

Chances i would say are very very small but nevertheless there is a risk of stowaway mosquito.

I wonder if the cruise lines will start doing what they do sometimes on flights from Asia to Europe and that's actually spray the cabin whilst your sitting there.

Presumably people could also use one of those plug in burners in their cabins that heats up a small cards of mosquito killer?

Edited by DYKWIA

In an overabundance of caution, if I was pregnant or about to get pregnant, and living in a warm climate where mosquitoes are in constant circulation, I would probably start taking some preventive measures now.

I've read that the virus can only be detected in blood the first 7 days and you can't measure microcephaly on ultrasound until the end of the second trimester.

Fascinating front page article in yesterday's (Jan 30) Wall Street Journal about the family of MD neurologists in Brazil who first made the connection between microcephaly and Zika. "In Brazil, A Family of Doctors Unravels the Zika Mystery." Not sure if this link will work:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-brazilian-doctors-who-sounded-alarm-on-zika-and-microcephaly-1454109620?tesla=y#mod

The question I have, and have not seen answered anywhere, deals with a woman who gets pregnant AFTER she has been infected and has fully recovered from a Zika virus episode.

bosco

Answer found. From the CDC website.

If a woman who is not pregnant is bitten by a mosquito and infected with Zika virus, will her future pregnancies be at risk?

We do not know the risk to the infant if a woman is infected with Zika virus while she is pregnant. Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for only a few days to a week. The virus will not cause infections in an infant that is conceived after the virus is cleared from the blood. There is currently no evidence that Zika virus infection poses a risk of birth defects in future pregnancies. A women contemplating pregnancy, who has recently recovered from Zika virus infection, should consult her healthcare provider after recovering.

bosco