Canceling cruise due to Zika virus

illiniwahoo

Unfortunately, we may have to cancel our cruise due to the Zika virus. I'm pregnant, and two of our three ports are now on the CDC warning list (http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/index.html)

A bunch more countries were added in the past week, so I'm guessing by the time we travel in March, all our visited countries will be infected. So we have to decide if we cancel the cruise, or take it, but never get off the ship (but that's a topic for a different thread.)

Happily, I do have the cancel for any reason insurance, but that still only reimburses 75%. What costs are non-refundable past final payment date? I booked through Celebrity, and on the invoice I have listed cruise fare, taxes and fees, and gratuities. I think that the cruise fare is non-refundable, but I will get the gratuities and taxes and fees back in full. Is that correct?

(I do know that based on exact date I may get 50% or 25% of my costs back, but to make this applicable to others as well, let's ignore that detail.)

I am also in the US, I know UK rules can be different.

Edited by illiniwahoo
added details

Really sorry to hear your situation. If your government eventually recommends that pregnant women do not visit the countries in question, might your insurance give you 100% refund?

Have you asked Celebrity if they might treat you as a special case?

Seems to me that even visiting those ports might not be a risk worth taking. Would you really enjoy it?

Stuart

I suggest you contact Celebrity and ask their advice...They may offer to reschedule your cruise until after baby is born and over the minimum age limit, offer to transfer your cruise to an acceptable alternative...

It could offer you alternatives to total cancellation.

So sorry this has happened, but at least you can now make plans to ensure you keep your baby safe...

Sincere best wishes.

Call Celebrity (but call the Captain's Club number!).

It looks like Princess and NCL are issuing refunds to pregnant passengers so Celebrity will be under pressure to do the same.

Sorry but I don't agree AT ALL with the go and stay indoors group. It's not worth it to endanger the life of your baby for a vacation that can be taken at a later date .

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the cruise. RCCL, parent company of Celebrity, is handling cancellations on a case-by-case basis, so we recommend contacting them with your concerns. Here is a link to our story on Zika for more.

All the best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Unfortunately, we may have to cancel our cruise due to the Zika virus. I'm pregnant, and two of our three ports are now on the CDC warning list (http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/index.html)

A bunch more countries were added in the past week, so I'm guessing by the time we travel in March, all our visited countries will be infected. So we have to decide if we cancel the cruise, or take it, but never get off the ship (but that's a topic for a different thread.)

Happily, I do have the cancel for any reason insurance, but that still only reimburses 75%. What costs are non-refundable past final payment date? I booked through Celebrity, and on the invoice I have listed cruise fare, taxes and fees, and gratuities. I think that the cruise fare is non-refundable, but I will get the gratuities and taxes and fees back in full. Is that correct?

(I do know that based on exact date I may get 50% or 25% of my costs back, but to make this applicable to others as well, let's ignore that detail.)

I really believe you are doing the right thing not to go even if it costs you money to cancel. Zika is a very serious matter for pregnant women, so much so that the government of Guatemala is advising women not to get pregnant for the next two years!

It is just too much of a chance to take to visit countries that will still be waiting for you to come even ten or twenty years from now. Come to sunny South Florida instead.

(I do know that based on exact date I may get 50% or 25% of my costs back, but to make this applicable to others as well, let's ignore that

http://time.com/4192338/zika-virus-who-mosquito/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Please read the following article.

Edited by drarill

I would get a note from my obgyn doctor explaining the situation that you have a definite medical reason to cancel. I truly believe you will be refunded 100% of your non-refundable costs.

Best wishes to you on your little bundle of joy.

PS -- I have gotten many mosquito bites while onboard, wouldn't even consider this as a viable option.

Sorry to hear that you want to cancel the cruise.. but as long you use a mosquito repelent you should not have a problem.. ive been living in a high infested area and so far never got dengue, zika or chicunguya (all transmited by the same mosquito :P )

as for rebooking the cruise.. just remember you dont know when you will be able to cruise again after the kid is born.. and honestly to take a baby on a overseas travel IMO is a big no no.. let the kid grow and know how to behave first so nobody gets stressed (you or others around)

In addition to the Zika warning, there's several endemic mosquito borne illnesses in the Caribbean now, including Chikungunya which is another nasty one.

I don't think I've ever gotten a mosquito bite on a cruise though, and it's not difficult to pack insect repellant just in case. I'm all for not taking needless risks, but one needs to weigh what level of precaution each person is comfortable with.

I personally don't think I would cancel a trip over Zika, however I would plan activities accordingly (e.g., stick to beach excursions, avoid wooded area hikes, and avoid evening strolls on a calm evening). However this is a deeply personal situation and decision, and you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

PS -- I have gotten many mosquito bites while onboard, wouldn't even consider this as a viable option.

Out of curiosity, where were you cruising? Also, are you sure they were mosquitos? I've never seen a mosquito onboard, but I've only sailed the Caribbean. I have gotten sand flea bites though in PR and St. Maarten... those were no fun.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I feel sad for you and others who are having to make these decisions.

I have been closely following the news about Zika as I am an NP in a NICU. Knowing the life long effects of microcephaly, if it were me, I would look at other vacation areas for now, though each family should make that decision themselves after reviewing the information. Personally, I don't think I would relax much if I were always worried about whether I had enough bug repellent on.

I wish you luck and hope that you will receive a full refund if you choose to cancel.

Call them!

Check this article. RCI states that they are handling the cases on an individual basis. So I assume Celebrity will do the same.

steamboats

Article states RCCL is going on a case by case basis. RCCL is the parent company of both RCI, Celebrity Azamara, Pullmantur and a few other small cruise lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Call Celebrity (but call the Captain's Club number!).

It looks like Princess and NCL are issuing refunds to pregnant passengers so Celebrity will be under pressure to do the same.

Sorry but I don't agree AT ALL with the go and stay indoors group. It's not worth it to endanger the life of your baby for a vacation that can be taken at a later date .

i agree with you. A mosquito might get on board at the pier. Not worth it for sure. Continue to call and write celebrity and if necessary notify the mediia

Good luck

While it's difficult to make a decision that might mean some financial loss, the health of your baby and your mental health are far more important than the $'s.

I certainly hope that Celebrity will step up and help you...this is a recognized health issue with clear direction from the US Government.

Please keep us posted on how this works out.

Sorry to hear that you want to cancel the cruise.. but as long you use a mosquito repelent you should not have a problem.. ive been living in a high infested area and so far never got dengue, zika or chicunguya (all transmited by the same mosquito :P )

as for rebooking the cruise.. just remember you dont know when you will be able to cruise again after the kid is born.. and honestly to take a baby on a overseas travel IMO is a big no no.. let the kid grow and know how to behave first so nobody gets stressed (you or others around)

I did catch Dengue fever in Manila. It is the sickest I have been in my 72-years. There is just no knowing when and if a particular mosquito is going to bite you, even if you have on lots of mosquito repellant.

It just isn't worth it for a pregnant woman to take a chance now. I know all this publicity is bad for Brazil because Carnival is fast arriving and the Olympics soon after that. Zika fear could cost Brazil a lot of money due to the negative publicity and that is too bad. I used to live in Sao Paulo, Brazil and I hate to see what is happening there now, but, honestly if I were a young pregnant woman I would not go to South America now.

Congratulations on your pregnancy OP and I hope you will be able to cancel without penalty. As I understand it, Zika virus causes very mild symptoms in adults (and sometime no noticeable illness at all) but the effects on an unborn child can be so devastating, that it is not worth taking even a small risk when you can eliminate the risk entirely by not taking this cruise.

Even if you are not able to recoup 100% of your cruise cost, the health of your baby is so much more important than money, but I do believe that Celebrity will work to help you find a solution. They always make passenger safety a priority and, in this case, there is no doubt about the risk a pregnant woman would be taking in certain areas at the moment.

Edited by Suzy Smith