Must have menu items?

mrsgthatsme

If you do the Crown Grill, please try the Black & Blue Onion Soup. If they offer Escargot in the MDR make sure you get that. Egg Plant pasta in Alfredo's as well as the Antipasto. If they have a Crab Shack night in the HC they try their soup. Pizza on the Lido Deck is one of our favorites.

I am enjoying this thread. By hearing what others enjoy. I may try something new or make a point of checking out an old stand by. I enjoy recommendations from a waiter on trying a dish they are famous for. Why not ask seasoned travelers what they enjoy. Just because I enjoy hearing what others have liked or didn't like doesn't mean I throw out my own judgment or expect to enjoy it as much. Maybe we are just looking for suggestions. (This ain't my thread I just don't understand why it is so hard for some to resist pointing out the obvious that our tastes are different)

Well said!

White and dark chocolate mousse at the International Cafe. Mocha things. A plain roll and butter. On the Grand, strangely one of the best rolls I ever ate at dinner! And amazing butter. I found myself rather amazed at the roll. And that's an unusual thing.

I agree about the white and dark chocolate mousse at the IC. Yum. When I boarded the Crown my first meal was the shrimp salad at the IC. They were always great and service was a delight.

If you like beets try the salad.

Enjoy

4boysnana

If you have 15 items on the menu and there are 15 people responding, you will get a recommendation for 15 different "best" items. What I am getting at is that all tastes are individual and what I like may be an item that nobody else likes. Also, an item that everyone else likes may be one that I hate. So what are you going to do with the information garnered from this post?

DON

And your point is? Maybe Cruise Critic should ban all question on here which ask for someone's opinion, then they might as well close the boards down as they'll be nothing left to post.

As for me, I'll take the Chicken and sweetbreads in puff pastry (aka the vol au vent,), goat cheese souffle, seafood tian, veal chop at Sabatini's, the pizza (lido deck and Alfredo's) and so much more

If you have 15 items on the menu and there are 15 people responding, you will get a recommendation for 15 different "best" items. What I am getting at is that all tastes are individual and what I like may be an item that nobody else likes. Also, an item that everyone else likes may be one that I hate. So what are you going to do with the information garnered from this post?

DON

I'm needlepointing a pillow. :p

Princess does lamb dishes really well.

Edited by shredie

Another vote for the lovely TBGCS ( twice baked goat cheese souffle). I also like the pumpkin crepes with marscapone.

In truth, Princess does vegetarian really well. I am not sure about vegan, but for those lacto-ovo vegetarians out there- you will be just fine!

Another vote for the lovely TBGCS ( twice baked goat cheese souffle). I also like the pumpkin crepes with marscapone.

In truth, Princess does vegetarian really well. I am not sure about vegan, but for those lacto-ovo vegetarians out there- you will be just fine!

Wife tries to follow a vegan diet, she will settle on Vegetarian at times, and WILL once un a while have a little neat. She also has to avoid deep fried food and large amounts of sugar.

She has never had a problem following any of that in a Princess cruise. Even in our 34 day cruise there were only two occasions where sh had to ask our waiter for just a plate of vegetables and because it was such a long cruise she stuck rigidly to her strictest diet.

So in a nutshell I agree Princess are fantastic for vegetarians/vegans.

We will be cruising Princess for the first time for a 5 day Eastern Caribbean in March. Do you have suggestions of "must have" Princess menu items for a newbie? Dessert and main dish suggestions welcomed! :) Thanks!

Nothing really outstanding.

I have to chime in with more love for the Goat Cheese Souffle -- it's really outstanding. And I don't even like goat cheese all that much. In fact, were it not for the many recommendations for the TBGCS in a thread like this one many cruises ago, I never would have tried it. But it seemed so popular that I figured, what the heck -- if I hate it, I can always have them bring me something else. I loved it; a new obsession was born. So thank you to those long-ago posters who steered me right, and booyah to those dismissing such threads as worthless.

I agree with a number of people saying that the fettuccine alfredo is really good. I believe if you order it as an appetizer you do not get the parmesan

basket. On our cruise in November, I asked our waiter it I could get it with shrimp. Sure enough, here it came--delicious. He was the greatest. Of course many other entr'ees were just as good.

I truly, truly hope that the Dream Boat chocolate desert thing is still on the menu. I love it!

We're cruising the Mexican Riviera itinerary within a month. I'm not very food adventurous, but I'm going to try some of the things recommended from this thread. And I've been over 7 or so cruises. I typically stick with the same things, but it looks like Princess is making changes, and I may find a new favorite!

The other things I love about Princess is the International Cafe, the pizza (margherita), and not food related, but MUTS.

Husband loves to eat, so he gets a variety and it doesn't cost us an arm and leg!

By the way, was on a cruise a year and half ago and had cream of asparagus soup (I'm not a big soup person) but it was phenomenal!! I actually went up the buffet and had another cup later that night.

Funny the things we remember!

And your point is? Maybe Cruise Critic should ban all question on here which ask for someone's opinion, then they might as well close the boards down as they'll be nothing left to post.

As for me, I'll take the Chicken and sweetbreads in puff pastry (aka the vol au vent,), goat cheese souffle, seafood tian, veal chop at Sabatini's, the pizza (lido deck and Alfredo's) and so much more

I kinda understand what DonaldSC was getting at in that favorite meal items are very subjective, however, what that poster didn't take into account is that by us posting our personal favorites might trigger a person try something that they might have overlooked or did look at it and didn't try it.

Also, I like seeing other's choices and if they post something that I happen to like then I tend to read more of their posts and ignore those like, DonaldSC who seems a little tight in the butt for me.

Not sure why everyone raves about the Pizza, I thought the range was, to say the least poor, and what they did have my local Pizza place left for dead.

I think it depends on the ship. They use the same recipes, but some cooks do a better job putting it all together. If I get a thicker crust, I don't much care for the pizza on that ship. However, most of the time, I find the pizza is very good. I try to get it at least once on a cruise, along with some other things. I get at least one hot dog (which I really like), a custard-filled donut from IC, creme brulee at dessert. And of course I have to get the meatloaf when it's offered!

I think it depends on the ship. They use the same recipes, but some cooks do a better job putting it all together. If I get a thicker crust, I don't much care for the pizza on that ship. However, most of the time, I find the pizza is very good. I try to get it at least once on a cruise, along with some other things. I get at least one hot dog (which I really like), a custard-filled donut from IC, creme brulee at dessert. And of course I have to get the meatloaf when it's offered!

Part of the Pizza issue may be different tastes in Aus. I understand the most popular Pizzas here are Hawaiin, BBQ meat lovers and seafood.

Wife's go to desert is Creme Brûlée, she said the Rasberry one was to die for.

I was disappointed last cruise, not a Pavlova to be seen, whereas it used to be an everyday desert with Princess when DownUnder, and while it's not the best Pav I'd ever had it was a staple.