Captain's Club Upgrade

long time lurker

I just wanted to pass along my experience with the new upgrade program. I received an email yesterday from Celebrity yesterday offering a paid upgrade from my Concierge to Aqua for my cruise departing in about 2 weeks. For those curious we are Select with Captain's Club and have only cruised once so far with Celebrity. Our status comes from previous cruises on Royal Caribbean. I do have a travel agent for this booking. The number I was given to contact about the upgrade is my travel agent. I did not bother her to find out the cost as we are not interested in upgrading at this time. We are travelling with friends and so do not want to be assigned to Blu without our friends. Also looking forward to our huge aft balcony on a M class ship. I hope this answers any questions some people might have regarding how these offers are made.

I just wanted to pass along my experience with the new upgrade program. I received an email yesterday from Celebrity yesterday offering a paid upgrade from my Concierge to Aqua for my cruise departing in about 2 weeks. For those curious we are Select with Captain's Club and have only cruised once so far with Celebrity. Our status comes from previous cruises on Royal Caribbean. I do have a travel agent for this booking. The number I was given to contact about the upgrade is my travel agent. I did not bother her to find out the cost as we are not interested in upgrading at this time. We are travelling with friends and so do not want to be assigned to Blu without our friends. Also looking forward to our huge aft balcony on a M class ship. I hope this answers any questions some people might have regarding how these offers are made.

Although I agree with your choice, a couple of people recently reported they were upgraded to suites.

I have no doubt that others have been offered bigger upgrades. I suspect that Celebrity is offering to upgrade one category to open up lower grade cabins. The upgrade offers trickle down to each category. I merely wanted to pass along that I was given an offer even though my status is only select and that I am booked through a travel agent. These seem to be common questions on this board.

I have no doubt that others have been offered bigger upgrades. I suspect that Celebrity is offering to upgrade one category to open up lower grade cabins. The upgrade offers trickle down to each category. I merely wanted to pass along that I was given an offer even though my status is only select and that I am booked through a travel agent. These seem to be common questions on this board.

Thank you very much for posting. When I asked a representative from the large TA we usually book with how an upgrade offer would be handled they said it would only be manageable if the offer went first to the customer. Good to know this is the way it works.

We are from Alaska and find that February is good time to LEAVE. We're excited about getting our vitamin D 'fix' in a couple of weeks.

We're planning a couple of hikes - one in Dominica with a local provider (currently making arrangements) and one in St. Kitts through the ship (using OBC).

Lurker: Thanks for staying humble with your concierge class. ;) We're looking forward to games on your big balcony!

Thanks for the information--- also think your choice is best. We have found the best way for us has been to get to the ship early and ask at Guest Relations. Last Cruise we were offered the CS for only 200 per person extra--- We ultimately decided against it as we had friends with us and wouldn't have used the extra space enough to want it.

We are from Alaska and find that February is good time to LEAVE. We're excited about getting our vitamin D 'fix' in a couple of weeks.

We're planning a couple of hikes - one in Dominica with a local provider (currently making arrangements) and one in St. Kitts through the ship (using OBC).

Lurker: Thanks for staying humble with your concierge class. ;) We're looking forward to games on your big balcony!

We would not dream of upgrading without you! Looking forward to games and dinner together. Come on over to the roll call and meet others on our sailing. Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2090887&page=46

I think the key to offering upgrades is to compare the current cost to upgrade with what it would have cost to book the higher category from the start. It would have only cost me $50pp to up grade from the C2 I booked to an A2. Actually by using the one category captains club upgrade at the time of booking I could have booked an A1 for $50pp more. The cruise that I'm booked is now $400 more per person for the same category I'm booked in. I wouldn't consider the upgrade to Aqua unless it was free. With that said, they seem to be having a difficult time unloading the remaining Aqua rooms because the price of the A2's have been less or the same as the C3's. They may consider a free upgrade if they can get a better price for my C2 since the price now has gone up $400 pp since I booked. Sky suites have also opened up for my sailing and the price is the same as it was when I booked over a year ago. I would be willing to pay for the upgrade to that category.

We are travelling with friends and so do not want to be assigned to Blu without our friends. Also looking forward to our huge aft balcony on a M class ship. I hope this answers any questions some people might have regarding how these offers are made.

I would not give up an aft stateroom for an upgrade unless it was a big upgrade! They knew they could sell that aft stateroom quickly!

FYI - we booked Aqua class and only dined at Blu one night. We listed Select dining as our dining preference on our reservation and we were able to go to either Blu, MDR, or Specialty Restaurant. One night there were people from a Suite that decided to go to the MDR instead of Luminae....they felt MDR offered more socialization.

Edited by JMG

I would not give up an aft stateroom for an upgrade unless it was a big upgrade! They knew they could sell that aft stateroom quickly!

FYI - we booked Aqua class and only dined at Blu one night. We listed Select dining as our dining preference on our reservation and we were able to go to either Blu, MDR, or Specialty Restaurant. One night there were people from a Suite that decided to go to the MDR instead of Luminae....they felt MDR offered more socialization.

We've requested Select dining but starting to think that a reserved time might be 'more sociable' with regular dining mates instead of the hit and miss in Select.

Edited by oceangoer2

Thanks for your post...was wondering what the notification time frame might be...so 2 weeks prior they start to move reservations around? Looking forward to a phone call, can only hope we'll be picked in the lottery.

I, too would most likely turn down an upgrade to AQ if I had one of the wonderful aft staterooms on M-class ships. But if I were in a more standard balcony cabin and received the same offer to AQ, I would ask Celebrity if friends traveling with us could be offered the same upgrade opportunity so that we wouldn't be split up between the MDR and Blu. Never hurts to ask....

Edited by BEAV

Over Christmas we were called with an offer to upgrade from a C2 - to A1 for a total of $150. We passed as the cruise was a short one.

For Alaska in May (Millie) we have an A1 aft on deck 11 :D even though I am not sure if we will like Blu or not. I've been wondering what I would do if there was an offer to up grade to a Sky suite. Bigger cabin, LOVE the butlers, -- but I'd have to give up that aft view as there are no Skys on the aft on M class - and we love aft! I think I'd have to pass :o Will have to see if they call us twice.

Over Christmas we were called with an offer to upgrade from a C2 - to A1 for a total of $150. We passed as the cruise was a short one.

For Alaska in May (Millie) we have an A1 aft on deck 11 :D even though I am not sure if we will like Blu or not. I've been wondering what I would do if there was an offer to up grade to a Sky suite. Bigger cabin, LOVE the butlers, -- but I'd have to give up that aft view as there are no Skys on the aft on M class - and we love aft! I think I'd have to pass :o Will have to see if they call us twice.

Yes, it would have to be a good offer to give up that coveted M-class aft cabin. However if the offer were good enough, I might cave in exchange for the aft views to have access to Luminae and Michael's Club. Tough decision, that's for sure!