Pools on Princess

rs12065

Well if you think about it all the water you drink on board is also sea water :)

Not all of it, since most ships take at least some water from shore. ;) But if they are going to desalinate sea water for drinking, why stop partway and make "slightly salty" water just for the pool? :rolleyes:

We never used the pool on our Ocean Princess cruise (might be able to try it on our upcoming Pacific Princess cruise), so I can't comment on the salinity level from firsthand experience.

However, on our one NCL cruise it was definitely not as salty as the ocean water. The difference between the pool water and the ocean was very noticeable. I'm not a fan of salt water pools and their pools were very tolerable for me.

I realize that doesn't guarantee the same situation on Princess ships but it might be the reason for JF - retired RRT's comment.

We never used the pool on our Ocean Princess cruise (might be able to try it on our upcoming Pacific Princess cruise), so I can't comment on the salinity level from firsthand experience.

However, on our one NCL cruise it was definitely not as salty as the ocean water. The difference between the pool water and the ocean was very noticeable. I'm not a fan of salt water pools and their pools were very tolerable for me.

I realize that doesn't guarantee the same situation on Princess ships but it might be the reason for JF - retired RRT's comment.

Again, salt water pools are operated in two ways:

When outside 12 miles from shore, they can do "flow-through", which takes sea water in continually, and fills the pool, and the excess overflows to the rim gutter and goes back to the sea. So, this is sea water, pure and simple.

When inside 12 miles of shore, the pool must either be drained, or placed in recirculation mode. In this mode, the sea water that was pumped in to fill the pool is recirculated just like any pool ashore. In this mode, the water must be chlorinated, which may affect your perception of "saltiness", though I've never heard of it before, but it is sea water still.

Salt water is a natural disinfectant...and kinder to your skin and bathing suit than chlorinated water....both are just as clear...not like there is any "sea life" in the pool...it is filtered!

But, as I've said, in most cases even salt water pools are chlorinated. Given that it takes about 2 hours to get the chlorine level correct when switching from flow-through to recirculation, and the pool must be closed during this transition, unless the ship has more than one sea day in a row, they generally leave it on recirculation and chlorination.