AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

We're booked for the May 2017, Enchanting Rhine trip, on the AmaKristina, from Amsterdam. It will have been about six years since our first European river cruise. Looking forward to this trip and maybe some post-cruise hiking in the Swiss Alps.

Bob

I'm checking one off of my bucket list, Amsterdam during Tulip Season! This is my 2nd river cruise (1st Avalon Budapest to Prague), first with AMA. I decided to go towards Amsterdam instead of from Amsterdam because of weather. The captain on my 1st river cruise mentioned that sometimes its best to go East to West, then you go through weather fronts, instead of following the weather from West to East. I'll see if it works this time too.

Going solo on this trip, my cousin decided after the 1st, river cruising wasn't for her. My hubby isn't much of a traveler, although he is going with me on the Allure 2016.

Right now, planning to stay post cruise in Amsterdam a few days, so much to see and do and I'm looking forward to photographing the city and tulips. I may head down to Paris for a few days then head home, but I have plenty of time to decide. I'll wait to see I do on my solo portions of my Ireland trip (solo before and after a week of a photography workshop in Western Ireland).

Happy this thread started.

Linda

I'm checking one off of my bucket list, Amsterdam during Tulip Season! This is my 2nd river cruise (1st Avalon Budapest to Prague), first with AMA. I decided to go towards Amsterdam instead of from Amsterdam because of weather. The captain on my 1st river cruise mentioned that sometimes its best to go East to West, then you go through weather fronts, instead of following the weather from West to East. I'll see if it works this time too.

Going solo on this trip, my cousin decided after the 1st, river cruising wasn't for her. My hubby isn't much of a traveler, although he is going with me on the Allure 2016.

Right now, planning to stay post cruise in Amsterdam a few days, so much to see and do and I'm looking forward to photographing the city and tulips. I may head down to Paris for a few days then head home, but I have plenty of time to decide. I'll wait to see I do on my solo portions of my Ireland trip (solo before and after a week of a photography workshop in Western Ireland).

Happy this thread started.

Linda

Hi Linda, I am going on my first River Cruise in 2 weeks:D and I always

sail solo. I am also sailing AMA on an itinerary called TULIP TIME:)

which is roundtrip Amsterdam---Amsterdam. New boat called Stella and

I am on her maiden voyage....I booked this back at the end of July and

can't believe the time is actually here (well very close to being here;))

Hi Linda, I am going on my first River Cruise in 2 weeks:D and I always

sail solo. I am also sailing AMA on an itinerary called TULIP TIME:)

which is roundtrip Amsterdam---Amsterdam. New boat called Stella and

I am on her maiden voyage....I booked this back at the end of July and

can't believe the time is actually here (well very close to being here;))

Can you come back and tell us about your river cruise from a first time cruiser and the difference from an ocean cruise. Please tell us where it is.

Edited by phabric

Can you come back and tell us about your river cruise from a first time cruiser and the difference from an ocean cruise. Please tell us where it is.

Yes, please come back and share your experience.

Hi:)....I have a question about your post.....I will be happy to tell you

about the cruise but tell you what what is?:confused:.......you said

tell us where it is?:confused:.....where what is?

Hi:)....I have a question about your post.....I will be happy to tell you

about the cruise but tell you what what is?:confused:.......you said

tell us where it is?:confused:.....where what is?

Where you post your review?

It looks like the weather in mid to late April will be chilly by Florida standards. Should we spend one or two nights extra in Budapest?

Sandy

At least two! Sorry we didn't. Budapest is a beautiful city that has so much to offer. Fantastic hand painted Herend China.

Sounds great. Have you sailed the Danube? If so any info would be welcome d.

We have sailed Amsterdam to Budapest and bt far, IMHO, Danube is the prettiest. Ask your cruise manager to direct you to the store with the best gingerbread while in Nurenburg. Yum!! Sorry can't remember the name :(

Where you post your review?

Good morning:)....Cruise Critic has a "Review Section".....not sure I am

doing an "official review" but I will be happy to post about my experience

on this forum when I get back;)

Edited by Lois R

• 4 weeks later...

We are planning our first river cruise from Nuremburg to Budapest. We would like to go in June 2017. I have read that the height of the river can cause problems, would this be a problem in June. Also, is there any advantage to a cabin mid-ship over aft?

Booked Melodies of the Danube. Originally had booked AmaViola May 10, 2017.

Got a call from AMA that that sailing had benign cancelled for a charter.

Changed booking to AmaViola May 3, 2017 and they gave us $150 p.p. OBC for the inconvenience.

We have taken many ocean cruises, but this will be our first river cruise. We are excited and would love to hear from anyone who has traveled Amsterdam to Budapest on AMA - or better yet may be booked on this same itinerary.

Thank you!

I did Budapest to Vilhofsen on AMA Sonata. Fall of 2014. 1st river cruise, we have only traveled Seabourn on ocean cruises. We were quite impressed with how wonderful this trip was. Most people were dressed nicely for dinner, but there was jeans, etc. you can not dine separately, which we found hard at times. ( you could ask, but frowned on) after a few days, you quickly meet people and your not set up with strangers I'm not a morning person and felt it was torture to join other people for breakfast.

I was surprised that the trip was quite active. The bike tours were booked right away, and we were quickly on wait lists. But luckily it rained one day and we got on, the other from Melk to Durnstein we got on. It is a long ride but a must do. The ship passes you, beautiful scenery. We are in our 50's and pooped every day from "getting it all in" the entertainment at night was lame, but it's a small boat. In fact we were reprimanded a few times for a bunch of us enjoying the bar, and there was a singer. You should not have entertainment at the bar., a bar is a gathering place. It was too cold to be outside, we had no where else to go. The rooms were small, but great to just to look out the window at night and see who was in the lock next to you. Bed comfortable, bathrooms nice. Tight, we barely had space to store our luggage. But you don't spend any time in rooms.

The food good overall. You could only get drinks for free during meal service. So we picked up a few bottles of wine to have a pre cocktail prior to dinner, or a night cap. The guided tours were included and they were informative and small groups, only once did we have a guide we had to get away from in Salzburg, She was ok with us breaking from the group. We met some great people, had a ball. On,y one day were we stranded due to water levels, but they came up with something else for us to do, we missed a 1/2 day and night in Vienna, which was sad, but overall we had a great time in Vienna for the day.

Some else asked when you could leave on disembarkment. We left really o

Early, many of our new friends barely had time to say goodbye, we wanted a picture. We took a private car hire to Prague.

Agree a must, at least another night in Budapest, we stayed at the Grishom palace- the four seasons, and you will not be disappointed, the location, the view. Anything else please ask. However I am leaving for Monte Carlo to Lisbon on Thursday for the Quest.

We have taken many ocean cruises, but this will be our first river cruise. We are excited and would love to hear from anyone who has traveled Amsterdam to Budapest on AMA - or better yet may be booked on this same itinerary.

Thank you!

Hi Charlotte, I just returned home from my first River cruise on AMA

and posted a review. It is not your itinerary but may give you some

insight into River Cruising. I did sail from Amsterdam but it was

roundtrip.....TULIP TIME;)

Hi Charlotte, I just returned home from my first River cruise on AMA

and posted a review. It is not your itinerary but may give you some

insight into River Cruising. I did sail from Amsterdam but it was

roundtrip.....TULIP TIME;)

Lois,

I read your AMA review. It was so informative. Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review.

Lois,

I read your AMA review. It was so informative. Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review.

Glad it helped:)

I am ready to book another one for 2017:D

Our first river cruise was last year from Vilshofen to Budapest on AMA and even though I fought my husband on the idea of a river cruise for many years because I did not think the cruise would be as active as it was, we had a fabulous time. I did tons of research and learned AMA offer many physically active excursions and we loved the bike trek through Austria and the hike to the fortress. The food was also a pleasant surprise and we enjoyed the themed meals local to the areas. In fact we had so much fun we have booked our next AMA adventure in March next year on AMA Sonata from Amsterdam.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wild traveler

Looking forward to your posts. We are doing the Legendary Danube April 17th. Will more than likely Leave States, April 15th and then spend 3 days at the end in Budapest. We booked, on the Amadante, 2nd Floor, I think cabin 238.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We're booked on "Europe's Rivers and Castles" on the AmaDante on June 15, 2017. This is Prague to Paris with embarkation at Nuremberg. We have 2 nights in Prague and 3 in Paris. We're definitely adding one night in Prague, as I've already contacted a guide about a walking, food tour😊. We may add another night in Paris.

This will be our first River cruise after several ocean cruises so I am enjoying soaking up all the info and suggestions.

Our first river cruise was last year from Vilshofen to Budapest on AMA and even though I fought my husband on the idea of a river cruise for many years because I did not think the cruise would be as active as it was, we had a fabulous time. I did tons of research and learned AMA offer many physically active excursions and we loved the bike trek through Austria and the hike to the fortress. The food was also a pleasant surprise and we enjoyed the themed meals local to the areas. In fact we had so much fun we have booked our next AMA adventure in March next year on AMA Sonata from Amsterdam.

Hi Aly, are you doing Amsterdam to Basel? I booked that one for next

year too:D....I am sailing in May on Sonata as well!

Thank you!

We did this cruise a couple years back on AMADagio. It too was our first rivercruise. We ocean cruise a lot but this was by far the best vacation we ever had. Ship and staff were tops. Food excellent. We went in June and had perfect weather and no river level problems. We arrived in Amsterdam a day early. Should have spent an additional day. Love that city! We had one regret in that we should have stayed an extra day on Budapest. Next time. It seemed very commercial and dull from Amsterdam to Cologne. After that the scenery was breathtakking. Enjoy!