AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

Susan:

This is also our 1st river cruise. If you go into AMA's website,I think it is under things you need to know prior to cruising, it will tell you what tips are expected. We will get three currencies for countries we visit. I will order what I think we need prior to leaving the States, I try and calculate tips, and gifts to see how much we will need.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Sandy,

We are sailing on the AMACerto Legendary Danube May 22, 2017 with a 3 night pre-cruise in Prague. Its our first river cruise & we have several questions. Do you know if tipping is included and if not, what is the standard tip for stewards, etc. Also, which currency is the best for tipping? Have you taken a river cruise before?

Susan

You will love AMA-an excellent choice. Tips are paid in Euros and can be charged to your shipboard account and will then be on your credit card. You will need Czech Koruna in Prague. We got money from the ATM in the baggage area at the Prague airport. ATMs are easily found all over Prague. If your cruise ends in Budapest you will want Forint (HUF) if you are spending any time there after your cruise or plan to buy anything while there.

The easiest way to handle currencies in Europe is to make sure (a) you have at least one credit card that does not charge Foreign Transaction Fees -- if you don't, get the Capital One Quicksilver Visa card (no annual fee, gives 1.5% back on ALL purchases); and (b) you have a debit card that does not charge Foreign Transaction Fees -- if you don't, open an account with Charles Schwab Bank and use any ATM in the world with no fees whatsoever. With those two things, you should charge everything you can and use local ATMs to get only enough cash for non-chargeable items -- and you will always get the best exchange rate.

I agree that it is a could idea to have both a credit and a debit card with you. This should mean that you will be able to make most payments without cash. Bear in mind that in touristy places you will likely be fine but slightly off the beaten track you can stumble upon a place that does not offer card payment. I always make sure I leave the house with 20 euros in cash in my purse. For example, my local bakers and a greengrocers nearby do not offer card payment.

notamermaid

We never take a debit card, in fact after having a checking account being totally whipped out, we no longer possess one. Two years ago when we did an extensive road trip, we did did prepaid Visa cards that in no way tied to any other accounts. I may do this for our April trip.

We do have Capital One accounts with no foreign transaction fees. The Chase Milage Plus card also has no Foreign transaction fees. I agree with the post above, you need some Foreign currency for items you may want in small towns. I know the rate may be higher, but I always get my monies prior to leaving home. I then have funds form tips upon arrival at my destination. The last thing I want to do is have to think about monies and conversion rates after a long flight. Decide what you are comfortable with.

We do take cash, but a limited amount. This will be my 9th trip to Europe.

The two prong configuration is the correct orientation. The recessed plug at the desk is pretty deep, app. 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches deep but not very wide. The best adapter is the schuko plug sold on Amazon and other sellers. It's the exact size to fill in the recess so that it is flush with the opening. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Amazon has 2 Schuko plugs. One is type E/F and is black and the other is white. Do you know which one is the correct plug?

Thanks,

Susan

Amazon has 2 Schuko plugs. One is type E/F and is black and the other is white. Do you know which one is the correct plug?

Thanks,

Susan

The cream colored one from OREI which sells for $7.00 will work for you. It is NOT a currency converter, only a fill in the hole and 2 prong round to 3 prong American adapter.

Hope this answers your question.

The cream colored one from OREI which sells for $7.00 will work for you. It is NOT a currency converter, only a fill in the hole and 2 prong round to 3 prong American adapter.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks Dan ! I found it on Amazon.

Susan

What a great thread! It confirms what I'd pieced together from other sources, which is that AMA is top notch and that the Danube is a beautiful route. I'm looking at a Danube cruise for somewhere between late May- July (Prague-Budapest). I don't normally plan trips so late (usually I plan a year or more in advance), but we had a big wedding for our daughter and then we were on a holiday cruise in Singapore/Indonesia. Like other cruisers have said, this would be our first river cruise, although we've done quite a few ocean cruises. We like Azamara and Seabourn the best because of the smaller ship size. Lots of great info here, thanks to all for posting! :)

Edited by pvkatmom
typos

Very interesting thread. Lots of info. We are sailing in August 2017 on AmaDante, Luxembourg to Prague. Waiting for confirmation of some changes. Was looking for info on dress code before we receive the famous booklet of info. First cruise ever. Not first travel though.

Very interesting thread. Lots of info. We are sailing in August 2017 on AmaDante, Luxembourg to Prague. Waiting for confirmation of some changes. Was looking for info on dress code before we receive the famous booklet of info. First cruise ever. Not first travel though.

Hi, AMA is wonderful:) dress code... casual......daytime you are usually touring and even if you are on the ship, pants/jeans and tops of course;). Many people wore the same clothes to dinner but I normally shower and change....still casual but a new outfit after being out all day is just more comfortable for me.

Newbie603

We sail in April, and paid early last month, we have not received any booklet. I was under the impression we would not get anything until about 2 to 3 weeks prior to leaving. There is a lot of info on line.

Hi, AMA is wonderful:) dress code... casual......daytime you are usually touring and even if you are on the ship, pants/jeans and tops of course;). Many people wore the same clothes to dinner but I normally shower and change....still casual but a new outfit after being out all day is just more comfortable for me.

If this was mentioned earlier please pardon me.

Take a thick soled pair of broken in walking shoes or boots to wear during the day. The cobblestone streets are really rough and uneven in some places, your feet and legs will be glad you did this.

Save the stylish shoes for onboard the ship during the evenings.

Take a thick soled pair of broken in walking shoes or boots to wear during the day. The cobblestone streets are really rough and uneven in some places, your feet and legs will be glad you did this.

Hi Dan:)......I agree about wearing good walking shoes for daytime. Glad you brought it up:)

Thank you for this info. Really appreciate it.

Hi, everyone!

My hubby and I are booked on the Romantic Danube cruise sailing July 31,2017 and we're spending 3 pre-cruise days in Prague. I'm working on the Prague planning at the moment because I think we'd appreciate doing something a little less structured than what is offered through the cruise line. Is anyone else going to be part of this sailing?

Hi, everyone!

My hubby and I are booked on the Romantic Danube cruise sailing July 31,2017 and we're spending 3 pre-cruise days in Prague. I'm working on the Prague planning at the moment because I think we'd appreciate doing something a little less structured than what is offered through the cruise line. Is anyone else going to be part of this sailing?

We are also considering options for Prague.

We aren't on your sailing, but will be on AmaCerto when it returns to Prague on 28 Aug at the end of the Grand Danube cruise.

We were in Prague many years ago, but look forward to spending time there again.

Does anyone have any info on the AMA Waterways "Happy Hour" program?Carole

Just saw this;

AmaWaterways unveiled a brand-new plan for Happy Hour that should make most folks very gleeful indeed.

Beginning in 2018, AmaWaterways will include a complimentary “Happy Hour” across all ships in the fleet, with soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits all available at no charge before dinner. The line currently offers up complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks with lunch and dinner, along with complimentary sparkling wines and champagne served up at breakfast and at select events.

The new Happy Hour is meant to bridge the gap between lines that have gone all-inclusive and those that have remained with the more traditional system that includes paid beverages. Karst noted that some of its guests don’t drink alcoholic beverages, and that the line is sensitive to guests who feel they might be paying for something they will not be able to take advantage of were the line to go all-inclusive.

Allyson

We are using Tours by Locals-Jiri C -for two private tours in Prague. One tour is to Kunta Hora, and the other is to the Jewish section. He seemed like a very good choice as he lived in the States for many years, and speaks excellent English. We will be in Prague for 5 nights. Three of these nights will be on the pre cruise with AMA. With AMA, we plan on doing the optional Folklore Show, and the trip to Terezin.