i know I said I wouldn't sail again but now not sure

fragilek

We are new(ish) to cruising carnival twice and RCI once - We had many issues on or RCI cruise so we not sure if we really want to try them again - Carnival service, food and entertainment was much better.

All cruises have been on the smaller class of ships. We do not watch or get involved with game show or pool game stuff but we do enjoy good theater shows and comedy nights (although did not take to the carnival adult one at all, only the family ones). Carnival shows with live music were fab but the royal last year was woefull- seen school stuff was way way better. One show the comedy magic one we were laughing (in tears ) because it was soooo bad. Food also better on carnival. The cruise was still good but the other other issues we had just pushed us over the edge and we decided never to cruise again - but........lol

On saying that we have future cruise certificates to use to book again with royal - yes the problems were so bad (nothing to do with my general comments above) they gave us these. (previous posts discuss the issues we had). So here my question - Should we try princess in a balcony cabin- 7 night cruise from Athens (Royal) or retry RCI 9 nights cruise from Rome in an ocean view (Jewel) - similar itinerary. Using up our cruise certificates they both come out at the same cost but RCI will include a drinks package.

Can anyone compare RCI and Princess wrt food and entertainment.

Also if anyone who like me thinks (I have never been on a large ship) they prefer smaller ships did you enjoy/ dislike the huge ones

I would look at the itineraries and see which I liked better and also make sure I could get the cabin type I wanted. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

If I remember back to your problems with your prior Royal Caribbean cruise, wasn't it all started with a guarantee booking, cabin assigned and you didn't like it, wanted accessible and UK rules didn't allow switch? Then, you split booking to two cabins and then all on board stuff got all confused?

Yip if we do get tempted to try RCI again - I will be choosing my own room and making sure - no upgrade box is ticked so I can not be moved into someone elses cabin -like last time- It was a nightmare- lol. I am surprised that I am thinking of retrying - it's amazing what time away combined with a money bribe can do :D

Just want to see what others think of Royal (Jewel) v Princess (Royal) - both are almost the same itinerary - Its our 25th wedding anniversary and we want to do Athens, Naples as the main ports- both do these- then others are not so important.

We have done Jewel and her sister ship Brilliance. They are nice, pretty ships but we prefer a larger ship. The Schooner bar is nice with its huge windows to watch the scenery. Shows were okay but nothing special in our opinion.

Haven't sailed Royal Princess but my Mom has. Balconies are tiny, chair has to go sideways. She likes food better on Princess. She has done a transatlantic on both ships and sails more Princess now after reaching diamond plus on Royal Caribbean.

It really comes down to what you like. Can you go into another cruise with Royal Caribbean with an open mind or are you going to be jaded from past experiences? Maybe trying a different cruise line will be a better choice.

I've sailed sister ships to jewel and also several large princess ships (but not royal sisters). These two lines have far more in common than different. I prefer princess MUTS and oversell entertainment, but the radiance class on rcl is my favorite ship design with all the glass and open areas. I think you'll find that cruising the Mediterranean vs Caribbean is much different. The ship is far less important than the ports. I would lean toward jewel due to free select beverage package but I would also make a spreadsheet of ships in port. Athens with 2 ships in port is an entirely different experience than Athens with 6 ships. Let the ports decide. :)

I have no good reason for promoting Royal above anyone else, though obviously I enjoy them.

One thing is to forget about the FCC to a certain extent. It's there to persuade you to give them another try. If you're happy to give them another try, then use the FCC. But I wouldn't let the 'discount' be the deciding factor. Make sure in your own mind that you're happy with the ship and itinerary, or you're just setting yourself up for more disappointment.

An airline screwed me over really badly once, and sent me a credit for a future flight, but not even that was enough for me to even consider using them again.

I know I said that I can't believe I am considering it - But as well as the price it is the only cruise I can do where I can fly from my local airport- 35 mins away . The Princess one will mean a 5 hr drive and an over night stay before the flight to Athens. Ditto on the return - And the RCI is extra nights cruising as well as the drinks package for less money - Aghhh - I am talking myself into this- All be I am a bit wiser to how to book this time - I will know my cabin when I book and keep it. And once on board -no way will I allow myself to be refused into the dining room - due to their errors. Surely it can't go so badly wrong for a second time - I have family who cruise with them every year and they have never had issues like our - It had to be a one off

Also if anyone who like me thinks (I have never been on a large ship) they prefer smaller ships did you enjoy/ dislike the huge ones

Our first 4 cruises were all on ships with under 500 passengers, and then we were invited by friends to go on Carnivals largest ship! We've now been on about 15 cruises on ships ranging from 100-4500 passengers; never had a bad cruise.

It's totally different and just as enjoyable. The best thing to do is to not compare, think of it as a completely different vacation.

You wouldn't compare camping in an RV at the Grand Canyon to backpacking in Scotland? But they are both great vacations (or horrible ones just depending).

I have not read your review on RC so don't know what the issue was.

Have been on Princess which was very similar to Carnival (they are owned by the same company) though not one of our favorite cruises.

Personally I'd take the longer cruise, but if your situation was that bad that you will force yourself to have a crummy time; then don't do it. Nobody likes a wet blanket.

eta: just read portions of your previous issues. YIKES! I understand why you want to give up on RC and don't blame you one bit. Your situation was unacceptable, sorry you had to deal with all that nonsense

Edited by Lerin

I was a travel agent for several years and worked for TWA for several more. I have seen disastrous things happen and I totally understand where you are coming. I personally still am angry at United about something that happened in 1985 or so and won't fly them unless forced to, so I understand.

I've never been on Princess, but I do really like RCCL. I have had a few bad experiences due to waiters being creeps in the mdr and at the coffee shop, but the vast majority of the people working on those ships are working their hearts out trying to make sure you are having a good time. They mean it or they are amazing fakers.

That said, I think you need to go ahead and take the longer cruise with the easier access to the departure and the free drink package. I'd do that just for the fresh squeezed juice in the mornings.

The more you cruise you will learn that issues that occur usually are ship/sailing specific and not cruise line related. As mentioned previously, think of it as a new vacation.

I've been on the Jewel and the Regal (Royal's sister ship). I like the Jewel as the size of the ship makes it easy to get around and it has less passengers onboard. The Royal, although does have small balconies is absolutely stunning and the public areas are large. The quality of entertainment is very good because it's the newest of the Princess fleet. Food is subjective but I've never had a bad dining experience on Princess. The balconies are bigger on the Jewel so if you will spend much of your time there it would be a better option.

For me personally I would go with the Royal. And to me Princess is not like Carnival. It is much better.

I know I said that I can't believe I am considering it - But as well as the price it is the only cruise I can do where I can fly from my local airport- 35 mins away . The Princess one will mean a 5 hr drive and an over night stay before the flight to Athens. Ditto on the return - And the RCI is extra nights cruising as well as the drinks package for less money - Aghhh - I am talking myself into this- All be I am a bit wiser to how to book this time - I will know my cabin when I book and keep it. And once on board -no way will I allow myself to be refused into the dining room - due to their errors. Surely it can't go so badly wrong for a second time - I have family who cruise with them every year and they have never had issues like our - It had to be a one off

I don't know what your previous issues were but I always choose my cabin ahead of time-NEVER go with a guarantee cabin or go with an upgrade. As far as the dining room, we do My Time Dining and I book my times before I even get on the ship. I call RCI and have them make all the reservations for me.

We've had 10 cruises with Royal all on the "smaller" ships and have no desire to go on the bigger ships - we love the Radiance and Vision class ships! We have 3 cruises on the books!

I don't know what your previous issues were but I always choose my cabin ahead of time-NEVER go with a guarantee cabin or go with an upgrade. As far as the dining room, we do My Time Dining and I book my times before I even get on the ship. I call RCI and have them make all the reservations for me.

We've had 10 cruises with Royal all on the "smaller" ships and have no desire to go on the bigger ships - we love the Radiance and Vision class ships! We have 3 cruises on the books!

The problem was due to us upgrading (thus choosing/changing to different cabins) 4 months before sailing, We did have every meal meal booked in MTD and I had a print out of the times with me-didn't help - computer said no-so still didn't get in lol

We've done many Radiance class sailings and the Jewel is our favorite of the class. However the entertainment on that class of ship is not comparable to the large ships. That being said, with a port intensive cruise like a Med cruise, it's the absolute least important aspect in consideration for booking for us. Itinerary, itinerary, itinerary and price. I'm going to Europe to see Europe, not some dancers and singers. And honestly the food isn't an end all be all importance over there either, we usually end up exploring and eating well in ports. Royal isn't a cruise line for foodies. But I don't think the class of ship determines the food quality. The worst MDR food we had was on the Oasis, the best was Radiance in Alaska.

I have done 58 cruise and one Carnival cruise 30 years ago was not impressed. have done several Princess cruises, but by far RCCL is my favorite cruise, best entertainment , food is about equal to Princess and Hal. Last 2 cruise were RCCL next 2 also RCCL

The problem was due to us upgrading (thus choosing/changing to different cabins) 4 months before sailing, We did have every meal meal booked in MTD and I had a print out of the times with me-didn't help - computer said no-so still didn't get in lol

Sorry to hear that. Again, I don't know what your previous experience was but please don't let it keep you from trying Royal again and having a good time. As you can tell, we love Royal and have no plans on leaving the line. We've never had a bad experience and don't anticipate having one. Good luck!

If you're gun shy for Royal again, which I understand, I think the suggestions to try Princess are good. Comparable in many ways, better in some. Lots of people on the brand specific forums have blinders on (not just here, but all the forums) and will spend your vacation money for you.

Went on one carnival cruise and the food and ship, not to mention the crew were soooo bad that I would never step foot on a carnival ship even if it was free. That being said my next 54 cruises have been on RCL.....I wouldn't hesitate to give RCL another try. Carnival simply has no ships in there fleet that can compare to RCL period. Where as Princess does have some nice amenities, I personally would try RCL if I were in your shoes.:)

Went on one carnival cruise and the food and ship, not to mention the crew were soooo bad that I would never step foot on a carnival ship even if it was free. That being said my next 54 cruises have been on RCL.....I wouldn't hesitate to give RCL another try. Carnival simply has no ships in there fleet that can compare to RCL period. Where as Princess does have some nice amenities, I personally would try RCL if I were in your shoes.:)

Everyone has different experiences. But if you've done 54 in a row on RCI they must be doing something right!

Last few years I've been shaking it up and trying different lines. each has their positives and negatives. i've yet to come across one that I refuse to sail on again; depends on price, itinerary, ship, etc.

So you went on one Carnival cruise way back in the day and had a bad experience and will "never step foot on a carnival ship even if it was free" but you are trying to encourage the OP to give Royal another try after their bad experience?

Too funny!

Are you painting with such a broad brush today that you are saying Carnival Breeze cannot compare to say, Enchantment of the Seas? It certainly appears that way.

Edited by ryano