Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

LMaxwell

Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

No I wouldn't pay extra too dress up since people people don't now pay extra to dress down. But I would like it if Celebrity included a formal dining room (FDR) for the many that do like to dress for dinner and want the ambiance of a formal dining experience shared with like minded passengers. This way people who like to dress casual can eat in the MDR and those who like to dress formal can dine in the FDR.

This would both please both schools of thought on dressing for dinner when cruising.

I can't see it happening but if it did, you could have the following:

1. FDR - Formal Dining Room or the Franklin Delano Roosevelt room (Very classy and presidential in feel); and the
  2. MDR - Main Dining Room or the Minimum Daily Requirement room (Casual to the point of, as long as you are dressed you get in).

I can't see it happening but if it did, you could have the following:

1. FDR - Formal Dining Room or the Franklin Delano Roosevelt room (Very classy and presidential in feel); and the
  2. MDR - Main Dining Room or the Minimum Daily Requirement room (Casual to the point of, as long as you are dressed you get in).

Um, yes... could see that happening.

Still, works for me!

LOL :)

My wife and I like the formal nights on the cruise. We look forward to these nights. We have taken our children on cruises and I believe they have enjoyed the nights which were formal. I would chose a cruise line which still offer a formal night. I am not going to stop cursing with celebrity because of this.

I do believe that people from different countries have different opinions re these nights. My be, because what they are used too this formality in their country. We are are not all American, Australian, British or Fijian, so have different expect ions on formality.

Having a couple of formal nights on a cruise allows everyone the chance to dress either formally or in formal. Therefore

the removal of these nights, we may have lowered and removed that opportunity for that option of formal dress for people who like that option.

DWhit, if only these formal night / formal wear topics would end! They have really lowered my opinion of Cruise Critic. I can only hope that those who have a need to dress up excessively on their vacations vote with their dollars and book their future cruises on a more formal line than Celebrity! :)

Great post. I would also hope that posters who are upset that formal nights are gone would quite ridiculing the the clothes that other people wear, it is not very becoming.

No...

Enforce the dress code and let others who don't want to participate and follow the rules eat at the buffet

sheesh-- what is it with people making it all about them and their freedom to wear flip flops....like thumbing their nose at a "formal night" is some really world changing revolt...

And dressing well (tux or not) isn't about not going to "prom"...its about dressing well for a nice evening --- I agree--that comment above was nasty

No...

Enforce the dress code and let others who don't want to participate and follow the rules eat at the buffet

sheesh-- what is it with people making it all about them and their freedom to wear flip flops....like thumbing their nose at a "formal night" is some really world changing revolt...

And dressing well (tux or not) isn't about not going to "prom"...its about dressing well for a nice evening --- I agree--that comment above was nasty

There is NO formal night on Celebrity anymore. Pants and shirt IS following the rules.

That said I understand some people are bothered that people won't dress formally. So why not have an area for them to also enjoy their night with others dressed the same, that is if they can't have a good time in a mixed dress environment. That way everyone wins and gets what they want out of the dining rooms.

But chic is in formal is not so you might do well to abandon the go to the buffet shtick.

Great post. I would also hope that posters who are upset that formal nights are gone would quite ridiculing the the clothes that other people wear, it is not very becoming.

I accept that some people just won't give up looking down at others but if you can't stop the behavior why not at least offer an option so they and everyone else is happy?

I accept that some people just won't give up looking down at others but if you can't stop the behavior why not at least offer an option so they and everyone else is happy?

Nice sentiment but I think that ship has sailed. X have gone to Evening Chic and I cannot see them going back to a formal option. Society's dress standards have changed and X has gone with it.

Decent sample size to this poll with over 300 votes at this point. With just over 88% opposed to paying to play dress up, I'll go out on a limb and predict Celebrity won't be implementing this idea soon. However, some posts indicate that some have still not accepted that Celebrity has eliminated formal nights, while a few others are still unaware that formal nights were eliminated, and others are quite ignorant on the etiquette of over-dressing.

Thanks, MicCanberra!

Other people are completely free to wear white ties while sitting by the pool, but I'll stick with a swimsuit.

I've seen formal wear in the speciality restaurants where it has never been required. I've even heard someone in formal wear in a speciality restaurant complain to a waiter about the non-formal wear of other guests! The waiter explained the dress code to the ignorant guest. Well, it gave me something to laugh about...

Thanks, MicCanberra!

Other people are completely free to wear white ties while sitting by the pool, but I'll stick with a swimsuit.

I've seen formal wear in the speciality restaurants where it has never been required. I've even heard someone in formal wear in a speciality restaurant complain to a waiter about the non-formal wear of other guests! The waiter explained the dress code to the ignorant guest. Well, it gave me something to laugh about...

Yes, I like your idea for the pool area, I think a formal pool area will be a winner. Black or white swimwear only and no flip flops.:p

Well, your flip flop free zone is brilliant! I do fully support you on this!

The biggest problem will be what to call the Chair Hogs, if they are that classy to be in the formal pool area then surely they require a better name. Perhaps Lounge Lothario would do.:p

Not many seem to understand the FORMAL means A tux for men and a long fancy gown for women. NOT just a black suit and tie for men and nice dress for women. If you look at it that way, over the many years since the Titanic era, we have been in Modern chic dress anyway. Only Modern dress has evolved to a NEW LOOK. SOME GOOD and some UGLY.

There are still formal events in this world, but how many of us ever get invited so why in the heck would anyone think that every man, woman and children on the ship should dress FORMALLY or go to the Buffet. If they actually enforced the FORMAL DRESS tux and gown the MDR would be mostly empty, and probably the ship.

I do agree that a basic dress code is appropriate, and one that is easily enforceable, is needed. Maybe long pant, and a collared shirt for men(type of shoes optional LOL) and I have no Idea for women much too complicated.

Decent sample size to this poll with over 300 votes at this point. With just over 88% opposed to paying to play dress up, I'll go out on a limb and predict Celebrity won't be implementing this idea soon. However, some posts indicate that some have still not accepted that Celebrity has eliminated formal nights, while a few others are still unaware that formal nights were eliminated, and others are quite ignorant on the etiquette of over-dressing.

The flip side to this is if you have 12% of customers saying they will pay for something optional, perhaps the company should consider the additional revenue source. After all, there is no alternative venue to the MDR or Buffet on ships that currently could hold 12% of PAX capacity at once, yet specialty dining exists.

The flip side to this is if you have 12% of customers saying they will pay for something optional, perhaps the company should consider the additional revenue source. After all, there is no alternative venue to the MDR or Buffet on ships that currently could hold 12% of PAX capacity at once, yet specialty dining exists.

Good Poll LMaxwell, while I'm in the majority who would not pay extra, others will. Out of, say, 3,000 passengers on a cruise 12% would be 360 potential customers for Celebrity to generate extra revenue from. It might be an idea Celebrity should consider. Heck I might dust off the old tux and pay extra if the experience was really, really, really special.

Good Poll LMaxwell, while I'm in the majority who would not pay extra, others will. Out of, say, 3,000 passengers on a cruise 12% would be 360 potential customers for Celebrity to generate extra revenue from. It might be an idea Celebrity should consider. Heck I might dust off the old tux and pay extra if the experience was really, really, really special.

Not many of that 12% said what they would actually be prepared to pay though. Very easy to vote "yes" in the hope that somehow Celebrity will take notice and go back to formal.

Not many of that 12% said what they would actually be prepared to pay though. Very easy to vote "yes" in the hope that somehow Celebrity will take notice and go back to formal.

Very true. The only real vote that counts is $. But with any niche product it will be up to the company to study it, conduct marketing surveys, and decide if that product will be profitable or not. It may end up being 1%, or 5%, who knows, I don't, you don't. The only thing that matters is whether that 1% or 5% can generate incremental profit for Celebrity.

I do agree that a basic dress code is appropriate, and one that is easily enforceable, is needed. Maybe long pant, and a collared shirt for men(type of shoes optional LOL) and I have no Idea for women much too complicated.
But what really is the point of even having a dress code at such a level of dress. Just let people come dressed however they please. Does a golf shirt collar really matter? Does the length of the leg coverage really make a difference? Won't you enjoy your meal just as much? I guess you could have a dress code which requires some type of top and some type of bottom, or a combination of both (aka dress), combined with something on your feet.