iPad Viable Backup Device

Thepominlaw

Anyone used an ipad as a photo backup / sorting tool while travelling on a cruise? Earlier this year I bought a 128Gb iPad Air 2 and was wondering if it’s a viable device for backing up and viewing my photos while I am away? Going on a 12 day cruise and bought 12 x 16Gb SD cards for the trip (1 a day) only using a point and shoot so files are not huge or raw.

Was also thinking of getting a Ravpower File Hub to copy the photos to a small external hard drive. On another note I have a very old netbook that I could use but the battery life sucks, its old, has a horrible screen and its bulky so was sorta avoiding that one but if it’s a better option may take it.

Whats your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One of the older issues with transferring to an iPad was speed. This may have changed with the newer models that have a USB type C port but Apple has never made it easy to introduce content from sources they don't control. I would test it to see how long it takes to transfer a quantity of photos that you expect to shoot on a daily basis.

Dave

You need to buy the adapter for the SD card to Lightening plug, but once you do it is very fast. The problem that I have and the main reason that I don't use it as a back up is because I don't have enough space on my 128GB iPad. Keep in mind that as you get ready for your trip and add videos and music and more videos you eat up space.

Already have the sd to lightning adapter only have about 6gb of apps installed that's all that's on it. Plus have ravpower and external 256gb ssd for additional backup so am thinking should be ok. Just want decent case with screen protector am thinking otterbox defender

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

KirkNC use an iPad or netbook?

Sorry an iPad, we have two regular ones and one iPad Pro. Between the three we have 360G

Edited by KirkNC

I own 3 cards total. 2x16 and 1x8 (don't even remember where I put the 8 come to think of it). I just bring my small 13" macbook (really not much bigger than a full size iPad) and download each night and wipe the cards clean. I also have a small external HD (not much bigger that a deck of playing cards) which I bring along as well (I keep movies on it) and will do a back up every few days. (after I run the photos through lightroom and delete the crap ones. really no need to keep a shot I missed the focus or the exposure on.)

Just been doing a spot of testing iPad downloaded 32gb card of photos really fast via lighting SD reader was then easily able to copy to external ssd and SD card with my Kingston mobileite wireless G3, giving 2 external backups and a third on the ipad