Zika Mosquito- Recent cruisers

Carol28

Carol - Have friends in Argentina where Zika is pandemic. The problem is 80% of those infected show absolutely no symptoms - NOTHING. The other 20% have what the people said was anything from feeling a bit tired to a very mild cold or flu. It is only with those who are pregnant that there seems to be a big problem.

FWIW - Zika is not new. There were thousands of cases in the USA starting in the late 1940s. Nobody worried about it because it was not connected with a birth defect and most who got the virus did not know they had been infected. Celebrity has sent emails to passengers about the virus and I would hope those who are or might become pregnant would try to stay out of Zika infected areas. The real issue in the USA is that this includes most of the states from Florida to Texas where Zika historically infected thousands.

Has anyone experienced a problem with the mosquito? Are ships in the Caribbean warning passengers?

What has been your experience?

Given the extensive international media coverage and the warnings published by national and international health organizations, including the World Health Organization, I'm not sure what additional warning you might expect Celebrity to provide.

I was on the Summit last week, embarking in San Juan.

I was bitten twice by mosquitoes, once in Puerto Rico and once in St. Martin. I have no idea if they were zika-infected as I experienced no symptoms.

I was just surprised to be bitten at all because I have never had a problem with mosquitoes before on numerous Caribbean cruises.

FWIW - Zika is not new. There were thousands of cases in the USA starting in the late 1940s. Nobody worried about it because it was not connected with a birth defect and most who got the virus did not know they had been infected. Celebrity has sent emails to passengers about the virus and I would hope those who are or might become pregnant would try to stay out of Zika infected areas. The real issue in the USA is that this includes most of the states from Florida to Texas where Zika historically infected thousands.

I think you may be confusing Zika with another virus. All the information I have read about it says it has been known since the 1940's, but very few cases were reported until relatively recently. The same information is given by the US Centers for Disease Control:

"Zika virus is a mosquito-borne flavivirus that was first identified in Uganda in 1947 (1). Before 2007, only sporadic human disease cases were reported from countries in Africa and Asia. In 2007, the first documented outbreak of Zika virus disease was reported in Yap State, Federated States of Micronesia; 73% of the population aged ≥3 years is estimated to have been infected (2). Subsequent outbreaks occurred in Southeast Asia and the Western Pacific (3). In May 2015, the World Health Organization reported the first local transmission of Zika virus in the Region of the Americas (Americas), with autochthonous cases identified in Brazil (4). "

I really feel for women who are pregnant at the moment. They need definite advice, but because the problem has so recently come to light, there is limited information available and it changes as more becomes known about the disease (e.g. the recent case in Texas which seems to show that Zika can be spread directly from human to human). There have been reports on other threads of advice being given by Celebrity to its passengers and all we can do is follow the guidelines currently given, as meanwhile the research into Zika continues.

I think you may be confusing Zika with another virus. All the information I have read about it says it has been known since the 1940's, but very few cases were reported until relatively recently. The same information is given by the US Centers for Disease Control:

"Zika virus is a mosquito-borne flavivirus that was first identified in Uganda in 1947 (1). Before 2007, only sporadic human disease cases were reported from countries in Africa and Asia. In 2007, the first documented outbreak of Zika virus disease was reported in Yap State, Federated States of Micronesia; 73% of the population aged ≥3 years is estimated to have been infected (2). Subsequent outbreaks occurred in Southeast Asia and the Western Pacific (3). In May 2015, the World Health Organization reported the first local transmission of Zika virus in the Region of the Americas (Americas), with autochthonous cases identified in Brazil (4). "

I really feel for women who are pregnant at the moment. They need definite advice, but because the problem has so recently come to light, there is limited information available and it changes as more becomes known about the disease (e.g. the recent case in Texas which seems to show that Zika can be spread directly from human to human). There have been reports on other threads of advice being given by Celebrity to its passengers and all we can do is follow the guidelines currently given, as meanwhile the research into Zika continues.

No - The CDC gave a history on its website. There have been few reported cases because simply said almost all infected have few if any symptoms and there has been no test until recently to check on if the person was infected or not. I completely agree there is nothing one can do except try to eradicate the mosquito and for people like myself - male or my wife - beyond child bearing years there is no concern. It is a huge concern for those that are or might become pregnant and there appears a lot we do not know about Zika. My problem with the current situation is when multiple couples aged 70+ cancel trips to the Caribbean over a fear of getting a brain disease.

I am - I am not aware of anything definitive regarding a time frame but would think that common sense suggests since the entire pregnancy the brain is developing then the risk would be for most if not all of the pregnancy.

Edited by az_tchr

No - The CDC gave a history on its website. There have been few reported cases because simply said almost all infected have few if any symptoms and there has been no test until recently to check on if the person was infected or not. I completely agree there is nothing one can do except try to eradicate the mosquito and for people like myself - male or my wife - beyond child bearing years there is no concern. It is a huge concern for those that are or might become pregnant and there appears a lot we do not know about Zika. My problem with the current situation is when multiple couples aged 70+ cancel trips to the Caribbean over a fear of getting a brain disease.

I am - I am not aware of anything definitive regarding a time frame but would think that common sense suggests since the entire pregnancy the brain is developing then the risk would be for most if not all of the pregnancy.

I'm sorry AZ Tchr, I have to jump in on this because I read several posts of yours where you poo-poo the risks to anyone who is not young, female, and pregnant. And I'm finding your comments uninformed and a bit narrow minded, not to mention somewhat condescending.

While the greatest risk is to pregnant women, Zika (as well as Chikungunya and less common Dengue) do present a risk to those with compromised immune systems. Because I am living with active lymphoma and leukemia, and have a South America trip and a Caribbean cruise planned for February 2017, I had a lengthy discussion within the last week with both my primary care physician and oncologist, and they are concerned about the risks to which I may be subjecting myself should I go. There is evidence now of Zika linked to Guillan Barre Syndrome, which can also be fatal. And other consequences of contracting Zika are not yet fully understood.

I'm sure you think I'm over-reacting, but...living with an active but indolent and as yet incurable cancer, I'm not wrapping myself up in cotton batting and sitting at home. Au contraire, I am traveling more than ever, and still working at a challenging career, but I am working hard to maintain a good or at least decent quality of life until ...hopefully...a cure is found, and that includes not making foolish choices or decisions which would worsen my health. Paris, Europe, Istanbul, the Mediterranean...bring them on. I don't fear a terrorist attack (heck, I live in New Jersey...talk about multiple risks! :eek:) but my immune system is seriously compromised and a skeeter bite here at home causes infected 3" diameter welts and occasional antibiotics, to the point where I stay in after dusk throughout the summer. I can live without adding another health risk.

Please try to be a bit less judgmental in your responses.

... I read several posts of yours where you poo-poo the risks to anyone who is not young, female, and pregnant. And I'm finding your comments uninformed and a bit narrow minded, not to mention somewhat condescending.

Uhhhh.... pot / kettle ?

Why is there always someone who has to make any discussion personal and start typing up insults? Is that the consequence of hiding behind an anonymous keyboard?

I'm sorry AZ Tchr, I have to jump in on this because I read several posts of yours where you poo-poo the risks to anyone who is not young, female, and pregnant. And I'm finding your comments uninformed and a bit narrow minded, not to mention somewhat condescending.

While the greatest risk is to pregnant women, Zika (as well as Chikungunya and less common Dengue) do present a risk to those with compromised immune systems. Because I am living with active lymphoma and leukemia, and have a South America trip and a Caribbean cruise planned for February 2017, I had a lengthy discussion within the last week with both my primary care physician and oncologist, and they are concerned about the risks to which I may be subjecting myself should I go. There is evidence now of Zika linked to Guillan Barre Syndrome, which can also be fatal. And other consequences of contracting Zika are not yet fully understood.

I'm sure you think I'm over-reacting, but...living with an active but indolent and as yet incurable cancer, I'm not wrapping myself up in cotton batting and sitting at home. Au contraire, I am traveling more than ever, and still working at a challenging career, but I am working hard to maintain a good or at least decent quality of life until ...hopefully...a cure is found, and that includes not making foolish choices or decisions which would worsen my health. Paris, Europe, Istanbul, the Mediterranean...bring them on. I don't fear a terrorist attack (heck, I live in New Jersey...talk about multiple risks! :eek:) but my immune system is seriously compromised and a skeeter bite here at home causes infected 3" diameter welts and occasional antibiotics, to the point where I stay in after dusk throughout the summer. I can live without adding another health risk.

Hmmmm. I certainly am sorry for your situation and am sure there are others out there who would be adversely effected by Zika or as you state a simple mosquito bite. The facts according to the CDC and WHO - not sure they are uninformed - is 80% have no symptoms and almost all others have very mild symptoms that are similar to a very mild cold. Yes, there certainly are some unfortunate people like yourself who have a compromised immune system and they need to avoid mosquitoes and probably any sort of virus or infection.

My question is thus - Is it prudent to avoid travel to anyplace where I could acquire a virus like Zika? Is there absolutely no risk to me from Zika? No, but there is a risk in everything we do. Everything. I am simply trying to state the risk to a reasonably healthy adult who is not pregnant is extremely small. I find it interesting that Zika is not new. Zika has already infected large % of the population in many countries and caused except in certain identifiable segments little to nothing healthwise.

We spent a week in San Juan and then boarded the Summit last Saturday. The ship shared information on the virus regularly , both with print outs in your cabin and announcements made by the captain, they advised how to dress and wear bug repellant. They also said if you were pregnent and wanted to cancel a shore excursion, that was okay and if you wanted to talk with the medical staff that could be arranged. They were basically saying use caution and your own common sense about what is right for you. We had no negative experience and were not unduly concerned but we are not at a higher risk either.

Maureen

Given the extensive international media coverage and the warnings published by national and international health organizations, including the World Health Organization, I'm not sure what additional warning you might expect Celebrity to provide.

We spent a week in San Juan and then boarded the Summit last Saturday. The ship shared information on the virus regularly , both with print outs in your cabin and announcements made by the captain, they advised how to dress and wear bug repellant. They also said if you were pregnent and wanted to cancel a shore excursion, that was okay and if you wanted to talk with the medical staff that could be arranged. They were basically saying use caution and your own common sense about what is right for you. We had no negative experience and were not unduly concerned but we are not at a higher risk either.

Maureen

Fouremco - Was OP was never expecting Celebrity to provide a warning, or just asking a simple question? Sounds like you took exception to the question presented. However, it appears that Celebrity is providing additional warnings and going over and above of what reasonable expectations may be. :cool:

Thanks Emma!

Edited by A1A

While we are NOT cancelling our cruise we are using caution and spray...

Last week it was announced that Zika may also cause the paralytic condition Guillain-Barré Syndrome:

With GBS, a person typically will lose strength in the legs at first; for some, the problem progresses in an “ascending” manner, meaning that the arms and the muscles of breathing may be next affected. Thankfully, for most patients, this severe form does not develop. If a patient—even one with paralyzed breathing muscles — can be stabilized, including support with a ventilator if needed, most will survive.

I also read that the mosquito's are more aggressive than we see in the US, low flying and bite during the day.

Fouremco - Was OP was never expecting Celebrity to provide a warning, or just asking a simple question? Sounds like you took exception to the question presented. However, it appears that Celebrity is providing additional warnings and going over and above of what reasonable expectations may be. :cool:

Thanks Emma!

No, I wasn't taking exception, I was just curious as to what the OP thought Celebrity might provide in the way of additional warnings. Your post confirms that Celebrity is providing the same information as the CDC, WHO and other organizations.

Cheers! :)

I really admire your attitude to life and your thought-provoking post shows there is no one-size-fits-all answer to how to handle the possible risks of Zika.

I don't think anyone on these boards should be advising others as to whether or not they should cancel and what the risks are, as everyone's situation and attitude to risk is different and the government advice is changing almost daily as more becomes known about the virus. All we can do is keep up to date with the latest advice from reliable sources, consult our physician if we have particular medical concerns (as you have done) and then make the decision that is right for us and our own personal circumstances. My next cruise is to the Baltic, so I have no worries at the moment, but I totally respect the decision of anyone who decides to cancel their cruise and book an alternative destination, if they have any concerns or anxiety. The decision is theirs alone to make and they don't need to justify it to anyone. There are so many wonderful places in the world to visit, it doesn't make any sense to take a cruise to a destination where you are going to be anything other than totally relaxed and happy!.:)

If a woman is already pregnant, is there a time where the fetus would be past danger if the mother was to be infected by Zika ?

The New York Times has a Zika question/answer article. This is what it says about your question:

Earlier in pregnancy seems to be more dangerous.

The most dangerous time is thought to be during the first trimester – when some women do not realize they are pregnant. Experts do not know how the virus enters the placenta and damages the growing brain of the fetus.

Closely related viruses, including yellow fever, dengue and West Nile, do not normally do so. Viruses from other families, including rubella (German measles) and cytomegalovirus, sometimes do.

Zika, so far, is NOT the plague or anything life-threatening to healthy people. The risk is to the unborn...and they aren't even sure Zika is the cause of some birth defects..they're still trying to figure that out.

If you're pregnant or thinking of becoming so....perhaps it's wise not to go to those areas. Otherwise, you should be fine.

While the greatest risk is to pregnant women, Zika (as well as Chikungunya and less common Dengue) do present a risk to those with compromised immune systems. ....... There is evidence now of Zika linked to Guillan Barre Syndrome, which can also be fatal. And other consequences of contracting Zika are not yet fully understood.

Precisely! Without trying to over react, we might see a sharp increase in Guillain Barre Syndrome as they have in Brazil. That will certainly make people sit up and take notice if it hits the states.

The risk is low for those not pregnant but there are definite risks associated with these diseases....it shouldn't be over stated but also shouldn't be understated. Look at how fast the information is coming out ... and every day, we learn more and more about increasing risks to transmission and our health.

The New York Times has a Zika question/answer article. This is what it says about your question:

Earlier in pregnancy seems to be more dangerous.

The most dangerous time is thought to be during the first trimester – when some women do not realize they are pregnant. Experts do not know how the virus enters the placenta and damages the growing brain of the fetus.

Closely related viruses, including yellow fever, dengue and West Nile, do not normally do so. Viruses from other families, including rubella (German measles) and cytomegalovirus, sometimes do.

Interestingly, I had lunch with my daughter today. She just saw her OB to get results from a simple blood test that tells if there are any abnormalities with her baby and also tells the sex of the baby (how times have change and science has moved forward! ;)) Baby is healthy and WE are having a girl (already have a grandson.)

Anyway, when I asked what the OB had to say about the Zika, my daughter had no idea what I was talking about. :confused: The OB never said a word to her, and neither she or her older sister have ever heard or read anything about the Zika. :eek: They both have careers and have not been keeping up with the news. No one at the OBGYN office have mentioned it and she has been back twice in the last week and a half.

My daughter said that she is not going to worry about it, but will take some caution. I went ahead and sent her an article and asked her to please talk to her physician.

In December on a cruise out of Miami I was bitten by a mosquito in the boarding terminal. I always put on repellent when we go ashore...never been bitten on board so never thought about putting repellent on on a sea day...and had never thought about it during the day in Miami! So now its like sunscreen....put it on every day.

Maureen

This is the same experience that we had on the Reflection, which we debarked yesterday.

Our opinions here at CC seem to reflect the results of the Reuters/Ipsos poll that I read about today:

"Of those aware of the virus, 41 percent said they were less likely to travel to Puerto Rico, Mexico or South America in the next 12 months because of Zika, the poll found. Some 48 percent said Zika had not changed the likelihood of their visiting those destinations, while others did not know.

Six out of 10 Americans aware of Zika said the virus concerned them, including 18 percent who said they were very concerned, according to the poll."

We have a wait and see attitude toward our December 2016 cruise.

Edited by tangerinebunny