Loyal HAL cruisers try Norwegian and oh my.....

albingirl

We just disembarked the Norwegian Spirit for a 7 day Eastern Carib cruise and had a wonderful time. Great cruise, happy staff, fantastic shows and music. They had a beverage service which we enjoyed which included top shelf liquor. Never a line at a bar. We had the dine around package, as well, which included 4 nights at specialty restaurants. I have to say, though, that I do think Holland America has better food. Seriously much better food in the Lido. However, the music on the ship was phenomenal and that's something HAL needs to pay attention to, in my opinion. The price was right; actually more than right, so we had a wonderful time. I will be back to Holland America, I am sure, but would like to see some changes. Smoking, for instance. There are good changes in that regard on NCL and Holland needs to pay a bit of attention here. All in all, a great time and just lovely staff.:)

So happy you enjoyed your cruise.

I, too, was amazingly pleasantly surprised with my first NCL cruise last August. They way exceeded my expectation. I had a cabin like the one I always have on HAL and the comparisons were easy for me to make. HAL was superior in some ways but NCL definitely held its own in the suites.

So happy you enjoyed your cruise.

I, too, was amazingly pleasantly surprised with my first NCL cruise last August. They way exceeded my expectation. I had a cabin like the one I always have on HAL and the comparisons were easy for me to make. HAL was superior in some ways but NCL definitely held its own in the suites.

Thanks Sail. I really value your opinion. NCL does hold its own in so many ways. I did find their staff happier and singing to themselves a lot. The cabin stewards were not as overwhelmed either. It's very apparent on HAL.

I have cruised on HAL, princess and NCL. I would rank them in this order. I did not care for the food on NCL except in the specialty restaurants, nor did I care for the main dining rooms, the layout, and the crowds. I think HAL is more elegant and NCL more laid back, so I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The suites are indeed nice on NCL.

We just disembarked the Norwegian Spirit for a 7 day Eastern Carib cruise and had a wonderful time. Great cruise, happy staff, fantastic shows and music. They had a beverage service which we enjoyed which included top shelf liquor. Never a line at a bar. We had the dine around package, as well, which included 4 nights at specialty restaurants. I have to say, though, that I do think Holland America has better food. Seriously much better food in the Lido. However, the music on the ship was phenomenal and that's something HAL needs to pay attention to, in my opinion. The price was right; actually more than right, so we had a wonderful time. I will be back to Holland America, I am sure, but would like to see some changes. Smoking, for instance. There are good changes in that regard on NCL and Holland needs to pay a bit of attention here. All in all, a great time and just lovely staff.:)

So glad you enjoyed your cruise, I have become quite fond of NCL. Food like HAL changes from ship to ship depends a lot on the Chefs. My last several NCL cruises I felt the the food was far superior to HAL but then our evening meals were all in the specialty restaurants. Their Lidos vastly vary by ship with NCL the older ships such as Spirit, Star, Dawn, Sky do not have the same lay out of the buffet as the Jewel Class does and I have found the Garden Cafe aka Lido to be better on the newer NCL ships.

NCL like HAL gives an allotment for food budget aka quality higher for their newer ship just like HAL does. Right now the larger food budget per person is for the Signature Class, then Vista with the lower budget for the S and R Class. Special voyages are also given a bit higher budget. My last two HAL cruises were on a S class just over 2 yrs ago and an R Class this past May and I definitely was not impressed with any of the food quality compared to NCL. I am very much looking forward to Koningsdam where the food quality should take a few steps up. :)

NCL has a LOT to offer, all of their ships have great entertainment, there is always plenty to do. The Crew are amazing on the ship and we love the service. We are now Platinum with NCL and 4 Star with HAL so those are basically are two go to choices :D

glad you enjoyed the cruise. We used to sail NCL and agree on your food comments. Each line has their own pluses and minuses ;)

<snip>

NCL like HAL gives an allotment for food budget aka quality higher for their newer ship just like HAL does. Right now the larger food budget per person is for the Signature Class, then Vista with the lower budget for the S and R Class. Special voyages are also given a bit higher budget. My last two HAL cruises were on a S class just over 2 yrs ago and an R Class this past May and I definitely was not impressed with any of the food quality compared to NCL. I am very much looking forward to Koningsdam where the food quality should take a few steps up. :)

Interesting comments on the food. Our personal experience has been that the best food was on the Prinsendam, followed by Maasdam & Westerdam. N Amsterdam was at the bottom. Maybe the budgets are bigger per person or due to longer cruises?

We're sailing NCL Breakaway in May and then HAL Koningsdam in November. Each line has differences, but also lots of similarities. We loved Eurodam the first time, not so much the second cruise. Not been on NCL for a number of years, so this will be interesting. I love that we have so many choices available!

We're sailing NCL Breakaway in May and then HAL Koningsdam in November. Each line has differences, but also lots of similarities. We loved Eurodam the first time, not so much the second cruise. Not been on NCL for a number of years, so this will be interesting. I love that we have so many choices available!

I think you'll find that there are many changes and most of them for the better!

NCL like HAL gives an allotment for food budget aka quality higher for their newer ship just like HAL does.

My DW has another view of this although the end result is the same. Her thought is that the difference in food allowance is not a result of the ship's age, per se. Rather, it's because older ships carry fewer pax. Since newer ships carry many more pax per trip, they offer the cruise lines a higher profit margin and thus can increase the culinary budget. I know HAL's ships get larger as they get newer; I don't know about NCL's, but it's probably the same situation.

David

I think food budget also is related to per diems prices.

When Maasdam sails the Caribbean, the per diem for the exact same cabin is lower than when she sails Canada/NE which is one of the highest per diem for most of the ships that do that itinerary. We sailed in the same cabin literally dozens of times and it was no coincidence the food was (to our taste) better Canada/NE and we paid a great deal more for the same cabin.

When Maasdam sails the Caribbean, the per diem for the exact same cabin is lower than when she sails Canada/NE which is one of the highest per diem for most of the ships that do that itinerary. We sailed in the same cabin literally dozens of times and it was no coincidence the food was (to our taste) better Canada/NE and we paid a great deal more for the same cabin.

Agree - none of the cruises I was referring to were cheap and two were sold out - no last minute deals

Yes the per diem does come into play. With Caribbean,Trans Atlantic, Mexico, Pacific Coastals and 7 day Alaska cruises being on the lower end. Basically any cruise that you see the bottom basement pricing a few months in advance. Europe, Canada New England South America and of course those connected to any Grand Voyages or World Cruises have a higher per diem allowance. But you can bet that for the first 6 to 9 months for the Koningsdam the Food Budget per person will definitely be the highest in the fleet. It will be two fold, one the first months they will be wining and dining the media first in Europe, then when she comes to the US. Second they will be out to impress New and Old HAL cruisers. ;)

I have cruised on HAL, princess and NCL. I would rank them in this order. I did not care for the food on NCL except in the specialty restaurants, nor did I care for the main dining rooms, the layout, and the crowds. I think HAL is more elegant and NCL more laid back, so I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The suites are indeed nice on NCL.

I think HAL is a bit more elegant and sophisticated than several others we have been on. (the exception being Crystal)

the thing I like about HAL is that you always feel you are actually on a ship and not a floating amusement park.

Yes the per diem does come into play. With Caribbean,Trans Atlantic, Mexico, Pacific Coastals and 7 day Alaska cruises being on the lower end. Basically any cruise that you see the bottom basement pricing a few months in advance. Europe, Canada New England South America and of course those connected to any Grand Voyages or World Cruises have a higher per diem allowance. But you can bet that for the first 6 to 9 months for the Koningsdam the Food Budget per person will definitely be the highest in the fleet. It will be two fold, one the first months they will be wining and dining the media first in Europe, then when she comes to the US. Second they will be out to impress New and Old HAL cruisers. ;)

I've suggested this before and have been shot down for it by some. Good to hear it's not my imagination. Thx.

We very much enjoy trying new cruise lines and/or new (to us) cruise ships.

So much so that we now shop for the ship and the itinerary more than the cruise line. There is so much inconsistency and so many cutbacks that you cannot assume a great cruise based on your experience a year or even months prior-on the same ship or the same cruise line.

We do have a list of cruise ships rather than cruise lines that we have little or no interest in trying either because of age, reputation, layout, whatever.

We very much enjoy trying new cruise lines and/or new (to us) cruise ships.

So much so that we now shop for the ship and the itinerary more than the cruise line. There is so much inconsistency and so many cutbacks that you cannot assume a great cruise based on your experience a year or even months prior-on the same ship or the same cruise line.

We do have a list of cruise ships rather than cruise lines that we have little or no interest in trying either because of age, reputation, layout, whatever. We are very fortunate...we have never had a bad cruise.

I think HAL is a bit more elegant and sophisticated than several others we have been on. (the exception being Crystal)

the thing I like about HAL is that you always feel you are actually on a ship and not a floating amusement park.

I agree HAL ships are more sophisticated, especially more focused on beautiful and interesting art, fresh flowers and a quieter atmosphere which I have always loved and still do. NCL was not the rowdy, loud or poorly dressed, ill-mannered crowd that some envision. I met some delightful folks, had excellent service, great steward and very comfortable suite.

The only time the ship felt crowded to me was sea day at the pool. I never saw so many people loaded into that size space at the same time. Seeing I only went out there to chat with my friends for a while, it didn't bother me. My late DH would not have liked it.

I agree HAL ships are more sophisticated, especially more focused on beautiful and interesting art, fresh flowers and a quieter atmosphere which I have always loved and still do. NCL was not the rowdy, loud or poorly dressed, ill-mannered crowd that some envision. I met some delightful folks, had excellent service, great steward and very comfortable suite.

The only time the ship felt crowded to me was sea day at the pool. I never saw so many people loaded into that size space at the same time. Seeing I only went out there to chat with my friends for a while, it didn't bother me. My late DH would not have liked it.

I agree. It is crowded on sea days. It didn't really bother me that much but the next time I go, I will book more port intensive cruises. Holland America is definitely quieter but I've seen a scramble many times for the quiet lounge chairs on Promenade. I think you can find quiet nooks and crannies on any ship if you try. We met some great people on this cruise but the chair hogs were certainly out in full force.

Hi. We are doing this the other way. The wife and I are loyal NCL fans (hence the name) who are doing our first cruise on HAL later this month. Wondering whether we will have as good of time as we always do on NCL.

Just remember that you are in charge of the kind of time that you have. Treat it as different not better or worse. (You are on vacation after all!)