Should I migrate to Oceania?

lizboyle

No competition here

I just do not understand why people need to have a best friend attitude for the staff

I have seen different Captains & staff stop & chat with passengers on O

Some people put more importance on chatting with the staff than others

YMMV as they say

AZamara is not Oceania nor is it Celebrity, Princess, Crystal etc

why expect it to be the same :confused:

I don't. If you have read my previous post you would have seen that I have done more than a hundred cruises and on differing cruise lines from Costa to Cunard Grills and Silversea. I don't expect any of them to be the same as another. That is stupid.

And "chatting with the staff" is NOT the Azamara experience I refer to....but then it seems this is deliberately being misconstrued. Never mind, I'm done here.

I am sure we will enjoy Nautica, the itinerary, our cabin, the food etc. Looking forward to it immensely, despite probably not being able to "chat" with the Captain! :D::rolleyes:

And "chatting with the staff" is NOT the Azamara experience I refer to....but then it seems this is deliberately being misconstrued. Never mind, I'm done here.

I agree with you on many levels but especially the sentence quoted above. We sail on a "staff friendly" cruise line and did notice the difference on Oceania. However, our experience on Oceania was a very positive one.

Enjoy your Nautica cruise (we toured the ship a couple of months ago -- she is beautiful!)

Edited by Travelcat2

Well, if hanging with the staff includes having a captain who values glad handing passengers over the safety of the ship, ala the Captain of the Concordia, I'll gladly choose a captain who does his job and keeps everyone safe rather than partying with passengers. I've never understood the importance of being chummy with any crew member including cruise directors or bridge officers. They have a job to do and one of those jobs is not becoming bosom buddies with passengers. Not having the Captain available to chat up anyone does not affect my cruise in any way.

If Azamara had ships other than the old R class, I would have cruised on that line, but the R ships are not at all disabled friendly and is the reason why I will only cruise the O class ships. If there are any new builds in Azamara's future, I would probably book a cruise on that line, but knowing that there are no plans to build any new Azamara ships, that line is out of the question for me.

After our first cruise on O, I can say that it will be our line of choice for the foreseeable future. And knowing that Marina will be in/around North America in 2017 will allow us more choices for booking an Oceania cruise.

I don't. If you have read my previous post you would have seen that I have done more than a hundred cruises and on differing cruise lines from Costa to Cunard Grills and Silversea. I don't expect any of them to be the same as another. That is stupid.

I am sure we will enjoy Nautica, the itinerary, our cabin, the food etc. Looking forward to it immensely, despite probably not being able to "chat" with the Captain! :D::rolleyes:

LottieA, I am sure you will enjoy Nautica. I remember you from the AZ boards and you have always been a lovely lady. You recommended SS to me some time ago and we are going to try them in 2017.

AZ does have very nice itineraries and if their dry docks go well, and the itinerary and timing is right, I would give them a 2nd look.

O is probably not as lively for you, but I am certain you will still have a good cruise.

Thanks very much Portofino....of course I remember you too. Aren't we going to buy each other a glass of wine on a ship someday?

You will have a great time on SS....which ship may I ask? I have some special influence on one of them! :D

I know we will have a great time on Nautica and I do so love the R class ships. I can deal with me being perhaps a bit lively for the other pax, because my friend Hazel is also lively and we have fun wherever we are.

As for the silly comment by another poster likening the exceptionally skilled Azamara Captains to Costa Concordia's Schettino....well words fail me! And that doesn't happen very often, I can tell you! :eek:

Did you book your cruise Liz? Or has this experience sent you straight back to Azamara? :D

Thanks very much Portofino....of course I remember you too. Aren't we going to buy each other a glass of wine on a ship someday?

You will have a great time on SS....which ship may I ask? I have some special influence on one of them! :D

Yes, we must have that wine one day, as I recall you like Red and I like White.

We will be on Whisper doing a B2B, Monte Carlo to Southampton and then British Isles from Southhampton. We have not been to Scotland or Wales yet, so it fulfills a bucket list place.

I have been on Riviera and Regatta and the smaller R ship (Regatta) is a little gem. Will be on Insignia next for South America.

Cheers!

P.S. as for Captains, when I was in my early 30's I had one chasing me all over the ship for days and I no longer care to dine at the Captain's table after that experience. Yes, he was Italian ;-) LOL!

Does a big hug on the last night of the Oceania cruises Regatta Panama Canal

cruise from Cruise Director Julie James count?

Does three conversations on the same cruise with the General Manager regarding my FC Barcelona (FCB) shirt count?

Does a big hug on the last night of the Oceania cruises Regatta Panama Canal

cruise from Cruise Director Julie James count?

Does three conversations on the same cruise with the General Manager regarding my FC Barcelona (FCB) shirt count?

Unfortunately - no :D

Nobody questions the friendliness of O staff, most GMs & CDs.

We are talking about uniformed officers who generally pretend that you do not exist as they pass you on the ship. They certainly do not initiate eye contact or a greeting and barely (if ever) respond to one's greeting. No friendly smiles from passing officers - that's all I would expect. Don't need to chat with them. I don't even need a "Good morning" from them - just a slight nod of a head to acknowledge one would suffice. It's not like they are in contact with passengers as often as the staff or CD so they wouldn't have to do it very often.

We are talking about common courtesy here - not life long friendships. :D

They suffer through dinners with passengers and seem to treat it as a necessary evil or a punishment.

Just my experience.

Edited by Paulchili

Lizboyle and Lottie,

We like the ship size and overall experiences on both Oceania and Azamara and have sailed these two lines exclusively. I too like the staff and officer interaction on Azamara, the White Nights party and the included adult beverages, but that is trumped for me by the better food on Oceania and just more itineraries because there are five ship choices and few (never?) charters during my preferred sailing months.

Basically, we are itinerary driven, and returning to sail on Azamara to Norway this summer because we wanted to cruise the Norwegian fjords, really liked that it is RT Amsterdam, and political traveler husband would not at this time step on foot on Putinland, which Oceania's Norwegian itinerary does. And, of course, we look forward to sailing on Quest after the long-needed cabin refurbishment.

Give it a try; there are many who like both lines!

Edited by CintiPam

Unfortunately - no :D

Nobody questions the friendliness of O staff, most GMs & CDs.

We are talking about uniformed officers who generally pretend that you do not exist as they pass you on the ship. They certainly do not initiate eye contact or a greeting and barely (if ever) respond to one's greeting. No friendly smiles from passing officers - that's all I would expect. Don't need to chat with them. I don't even need a "Good morning" from them - just a slight nod of a head to acknowledge one would suffice. It's not like they are in contact with passengers as often as the staff or CD so they wouldn't have to do it very often.

We are talking about common courtesy here - not life long friendships. :D

They suffer through dinners with passengers and seem to treat it as a necessary evil or a punishment.

Just my experience.

OH DEAR

I have never been shunned by the uniformed staff they have always said good morning or whatever or sometime just a smile & nod

Lyn

Did you book your cruise Liz? Or has this experience sent you straight back to Azamara? :D

Lottie, We have just found out our daughter needs major surgery so won't be able to book. We may grab a last minute and I think it will be Azamara if the price is right.

Lottie, We have just found out our daughter needs major surgery so won't be able to book. We may grab a last minute and I think it will be Azamara if the price is right.

Oh Liz, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. Sending all good wishes her way.

I am sure once she has recovered from her surgery that you will find a good last minute cruise whether it be on Azamara or Oceania.

We hope to see you on the "wonderful value for money and totally non disappointing" Azamara ships one day soon. :)