Stockholm 2016 information and advise

3. SAS flights to Copenghagen and USA departs from Terminal 5 but the train #38 only stops at Arlanda C, to get to terminal 2,3 or 5 you need

to go via Märsta (as you originally had planned) with bus 585 from Märsta.

I think that this direction is now either wrong or just confusing? Of course the Märsta route works, but Arlanda C is within the same building complex as all the terminals. There are three train stations in Arlanda shown on this map: http://www.swedavia.com/PageFiles/116/karta-alla-terminaler-arlanda.pdf The Arlanda C station is in SkyCity and the Arlanda Express stations are located in T5 and between T2 and T4. As you see on the map it is a four minute walk from SkyCity to T5.

Jonza, a little confusing maybe. ;)

Märsta route is just an alternative for those who want to maximize the use of their 24/72 hour travel card and don't want to

pay the extra fee at Arlanda C (fees applies to passengers on commuter trains and regional train).

I have both routes listed in the OP, so it's just a matter of personal choice/preference.

The Swedish throne heir Crown princess Victoria gave birth to her and her husband, Prince Daniel's, second child yesterday.

Prince Oscar will be a baptised later this spring. No date have been announced yet but I would make an estimated guess that it will happen in late May-early June.

This will likely means that parts of the Royal Palace might not be opened for the public.

There will also be a second baptising, if everything goes as expected, since Prince Carl Philip & his wife Princess Sofia are expecting their first child in April.

There was some discussion about the Regal docking in Stockholm on the main Princess forum a few months ago. Earlier this week I did receive notice of this change from Princess thru our TA and posted this information on the 2 roll calls of our cruise in late May...one from Copenhagen and the other from Berlin. What I am not sure of is the location of the cruise terminal in Stockholm and as of yesterday there was nothing shown on the Stockholm port site(s). Obviously, the Regal will need to use the largest pier wherever that may be.

Perhaps the OP could shed some light on which is the main cruise terminal in Stockholm.

It would appear all but the first cruise of the season will go to Stockholm. We are on the May 1st. trip and will be going to Nynashamn on the 10th. according to the port schedule above. Well was hoping when we saw they were going to Stockholm but this is fine as when we booked 14 months ago the port was Nynashamn.

Thank you OP for posting all the information on page 1.

We are staying at the Hilton in the city and have a 09:30 flight to AMS on KLM the next morning.

Would you recommend we stay the night before at a hotel at the airport?

I think it's more down to your personal preference.

Of course staying at the airport will give you a safety margin against traffic problems of all kinds. Especially when you have an early flight.

Edited by Desdichado62

• 2 weeks later...

We are arriving in Stockholm very early (8am) on July 3rd after a cruise. Our flight home is not until 5:45pm. We were hoping to explore Stockholm rather than sit in the airport all day, but will have two large suitcases (duffles) with us.

We were thinking about trying to store luggage at Central Station, but have concerns that the lockers will be full or too small.

Not sure if there is storage at the pier or other options for luggage storage.

Any suggestions?

At Stockholm central station there is also a manual luggage storage service in the lower hall (next to SL Center ) which can be used if your luggage is too big for the regular boxes.

They are open daily between 09.00 and 18.30

The large regular boxes' size are:

width 460mm (46cm / 18in), height 600mm (60cm / 23.6in) & depth 820mm (82cm / 32.3 in).

http://www.jernhusen.se/Global/Stationer/218227_STHLM_orienteringskarta_A3.pdf (not sure if this map still is valid).

Edited by Desdichado62

Forgive me, it is midnight here and my head is starting to fog.

We will dock at s167. We want to visit Abba, Vasa, City Hall and Old town.

There seems to be multiple transport options.

Seems its best to start with Vasa - so can take ferries (2); hoho boat (2) or bus ... is one cheaper or more scenic? what do you recommend?

Would we then do Abba (walk), City Hall finally Palace and Old town and walk back to ship?

Can I take bus from Abba to City Hall? and then what to Old town?

If I change between HOHO and buses can I use a transport card or pay individually?

thanks again (off to bed)

Ferries (M/S Emelie)/HoHo boats are more scenic then buses. Ferries/HoHo boats costs the same (presuming you only buy a one stop ticket for H-boats).

Buses are slightly cheaper.

"Would we then do Abba (walk), City Hall finally Palace and Old town and walk back to ship?"

To be honest Vasa-Abba-CH-Palace-Old town is probably a little too much for the time you have available.

Even if you only spend 1 hour at each, you've already reached 5 hours then add transport to that and I don't see how you could fit everything

within the actual effective available time. So you probably have to leave something out.

Edited by Desdichado62

Ferries (M/S Emelie)/HoHo boats are more scenic then buses. Ferries/HoHo boats costs the same (presuming you only buy a one stop ticket for H-boats).

Buses are slightly cheaper.

"Would we then do Abba (walk), City Hall finally Palace and Old town and walk back to ship?"

To be honest Vasa-Abba-CH-Palace-Old town is probably a little too much for the time you have available.

Even if you only spend 1 hour at each, you've already reached 5 hours then add transport to that and I don't see how you could fit everything

within the actual effective available time. So you probably have to leave something out.

Thanks Desdichado,

I spoke to a guy from Stockholm and he didn't seem keen on Vasa but then tourists seem to rave about it, I think the old town is a must.

That probably leaves CH or Abba or something else - do you have any strong feelings on this?

We are not normally museum people but I do think Abba sounds like a quirky interactive - have you been?

CH worth a visit?

If we do try it all, which order and transport would we use?

thanks again

James

Thanks Desdichado,

I spoke to a guy from Stockholm and he didn't seem keen on Vasa but then tourists seem to rave about it, I think the old town is a must.

That probably leaves CH or Abba or something else - do you have any strong feelings on this?

We are not normally museum people but I do think Abba sounds like a quirky interactive - have you been?

CH worth a visit?

If we do try it all, which order and transport would we use?

thanks again

James

Vasa is a must and so is Old Town.

I have not visited the City hall or Abba the museum but I think both are worth a visit.

The choice I would make is to choose Abba over the City hall for the following practical reasons:

1. Abba allows you to make a ticket reservation in advance, guaranteeing you to be able to get in at a certain point.

For the CH you can only visit it by going on their guided tours and tickets can only be bought on location at the CH. The English tours starts every 30 minutes.

2. At AB. you can leave when you feel that you are ready as opposite to doing a guided tour,

3. Abba is just some 500-600m walk from Vasa and have harbour ferries berthing just 100m away which will take you directly to Old Town.

No need to spend time on buying bus tickets or travel cards anything like that. Just pay when you board the ferry (or HoHo boat in the morning)

The order you should it is: Vasa->Abba->Royal Palace->Old Town.

As for transport use HoHo boats or ferries in the morning, then use Djurgårdsfärjan when going from Abba to Old Town.

Finally as you suggested yourself, walk from Old Town to ship, but remember to use the scenic route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3220666,18.0728581/59.3201541,18.0723134/59.3184197,18.0793997/59.3174054,18.0837847/59.3169023,18.0895764/59.3154131,18.0947155/59.3144474,18.0988529/59.3155461,18.1035429/@59.3188738,18.0906095,15.25z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

The 24 hour HOHO Sightseeing Boat booking link is showing "No Available Dates" at http://www.stromma.se/en/stockholm/sightseeing/sightseeing-by-boat/hop-on-hop-off-boat/ and has been for at least a week now. While the boat and bus combo HOHO shows availability every day beginning April 30.

I wonder what's going on.

Vasa is a must and so is Old Town.

I have not visited the City hall or Abba the museum but I think both are worth a visit.

The choice I would make is to choose Abba over the City hall for the following practical reasons:

1. Abba allows you to make a ticket reservation in advance, guaranteeing you to be able to get in at a certain point.

For the CH you can only visit it by going on their guided tours and tickets can only be bought on location at the CH. The English tours starts every 30 minutes.

2. At AB. you can leave when you feel that you are ready as opposite to doing a guided tour,

3. Abba is just some 500-600m walk from Vasa and have harbour ferries berthing just 100m away which will take you directly to Old Town.

No need to spend time on buying bus tickets or travel cards anything like that. Just pay when you board the ferry (or HoHo boat in the morning)

The order you should it is: Vasa->Abba->Royal Palace->Old Town.

As for transport use HoHo boats or ferries in the morning, then use Djurgårdsfärjan when going from Abba to Old Town.

Finally as you suggested yourself, walk from Old Town to ship, but remember to use the scenic route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3220666,18.0728581/59.3201541,18.0723134/59.3184197,18.0793997/59.3174054,18.0837847/59.3169023,18.0895764/59.3154131,18.0947155/59.3144474,18.0988529/59.3155461,18.1035429/@59.3188738,18.0906095,15.25z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

Thank you very much that is a detailed and helpful post, can't wait to visit.

Would you happen to know how accurate those port postings are? Do they tend to change?

I read a blog that HAL eurodam had to use the port far out (forgotten the name) as its too big but our ship the koningsdam is bigger (although I don't think it's considered big by other cruise line standards).

I really hope we stay at s160

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thank you very much that is a detailed and helpful post, can't wait to visit.

Would you happen to know how accurate those port postings are? Do they tend to change?

I read a blog that HAL eurodam had to use the port far out (forgotten the name) as its too big but our ship the koningsdam is bigger (although I don't think it's considered big by other cruise line standards).

I really hope we stay at s160

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

AFAIK changes are rare. and the Konigdsam is considerably smaller then Celebrity Eclipse which is a frequent visitor at Stockholm so you don't have to worry.

Also you will be docking at S167 not S160 which is a small but advantageous difference.

Edited by Desdichado62

I have not visited the City hall or Abba the museum ...

Hehe, neither have I. I have visited Stockholm uncountable times but the City Hall never seems to fit in with the rest of the schedule when you have just a few hours time available. But one day...

I agree with Desdichado. Consider leaving out the City Hall and if you then find you have a some surplus time once you are in old town and have seen the Royal Palace, consider spending a few minutes in the Royal Armoury (Livrustkammaren) in the Palace cellar. Entry is free.

http://livrustkammaren.se/en

Edited by Ultima Thule

AFAIK changes are rare. and the Konigdsam is considerably smaller then Celebrity Eclipse which is a frequent visitor at Stockholm so you don't have to worry.

Also you will be docking at S167 not S160 which is a small but advantageous difference.

Hi guys,

appreciate all the earlier advice, just want to update and clarify a couple of things:

1) is 167 slightly better than 160 - due to proximity to HOHO boat to Vasa? otherwise its disadvantage is longer walk to old town,correct?

2) if we start with Vasa, there is HOHO you also mention ferry Amelie from s167, does it matter which one we take? what is cost of a one way ticket on each option?

3) getting back to Gamla Stan from Vasa - better to take bus 76 or is there a ferry option (or HOHO boat)? If we take bus can we buy ticket onboard?

4) we are now thinking of dropping Abba (unless a wet day) to focus more on old town, if we have time do you think worth adding Monteliusvagen (viewpoint), could we detour as a walk to here on the way back to the ship?

thanks

James

Hi guys,

appreciate all the earlier advice, just want to update and clarify a couple of things:

1) is 167 slightly better than 160 - due to proximity to HOHO boat to Vasa? otherwise its disadvantage is longer walk to old town,correct?

2) if we start with Vasa, there is HOHO you also mention ferry Amelie from s167, does it matter which one we take? what is cost of a one way ticket on each option?

3) getting back to Gamla Stan from Vasa - better to take bus 76 or is there a ferry option (or HOHO boat)? If we take bus can we buy ticket onboard?

4) we are now thinking of dropping Abba (unless a wet day) to focus more on old town, if we have time do you think worth adding Monteliusvagen (viewpoint), could we detour as a walk to here on the way back to the ship?

thanks

James

1. S167 is preferable to proximity to public transport (HoHo boats, ferries and buses) but as you say is a little further away from Old Town

but the advantages is more important then the disadvantages.

2. M/S Emelie vs. HoHO boats, cost is the same which is around 50SEK, the HoHo boats will drop you off at Vasa while the ferry will drop you off at Allmänna gränd which is short walk away from Vasa.

You have to choose for yourself, but I think that if you are in a queue for the HoHo boats with many people in front of you while there is

no queue for M/S Emelie (and if you can make it to it's departure time) then the ferry probably will get you there faster.

3. See first post, there is Djurgårdsfärjan for which you can buy tickets during queueing, bus requires to buy tickets in advance from retailer or via app before boarding the bus.

4. Decide for yourself: https://www.google.se/maps/@59.3206945,18.0607574,3a,75y,350.76h,87.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU7eG__mv8WrZJcbhv65YUw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 https://www.google.se/maps/@59.3207342,18.0615513,3a,75y,8.19h,114.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS0_-IJz8OR8UR_tSWmjBHA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Desdichado62

1. S167 is preferable to proximity to public transport (HoHo boats, ferries and buses) but as you say is a little further away from Old Town

but the advantages is more important then the disadvantages.

2. M/S Emelie vs. HoHO boats, cost is the same which is around 50SEK, the HoHo boats will drop you off at Vasa while the ferry will drop you off at Allmänna gränd which is short walk away from Vasa.

You have to choose for yourself, but I think that if you are in a queue for the HoHo boats with many people in front of you while there is

no queue for M/S Emelie (and if you can make it to it's departure time) then the ferry probably will get you there faster.

3. See first post, there is Djurgårdsfärjan for which you can buy tickets during queueing, bus requires to buy tickets in advance from retailer or via app before boarding the bus.

4. Decide for yourself: https://www.google.se/maps/@59.3206945,18.0607574,3a,75y,350.76h,87.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU7eG__mv8WrZJcbhv65YUw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 https://www.google.se/maps/@59.3207342,18.0615513,3a,75y,8.19h,114.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS0_-IJz8OR8UR_tSWmjBHA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks again Desdichado,

1. If the ferry is faster and less crowded why do people take the HOHO?

2. Is the Djurgårdsfärjan stop at Vasa - or just the one near Abba? np happy to walk

3. Thanks for that link - I really need to learn how to use that map/street view - I think we will wait and see what weather like and how our legs are coping haha. If we are tired is it bus 76 back to S167 from Slussen? trams?

Really appreciate all your efforts!