Noro on Riviera again

RJB

Sometime I want to hear what it is like when you DO complain!

Seriously though, sorry for your suffering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I expected some snarly remarks, but what I meant is that we are complying and compassionate with all that is going on and have not complained to the staff onboard. We are not the type to make a stink. The only reason I posted on this thread is because we received free WiFi and I kept reading about how no one from our cruise was posting, so it must be fine. :).

Until you go through what a " sick cruise" is like onboard, you will never understand. I didn't when reading about the other Riviera sick cruises.

Our staterooms are being washed down twice a day and the outside of our doors multiple times a day..I do wish I could post photos to show you.

We have been full speed full speed ahead for the last 24 hours and the seas are very rough, making a bad situation even worse for some. :eek:

Heather - I do understand your excitement. No hard feelings. :).

This will probably be my last post until we return home. The internet being free means a very slow connection. Going out now to get a drink and have some fun! :)

Edited by Iamthesea

In addition to the almost daily mail from Oceania and Regent we are now getting Oceania Brochures in Our New York Times and Inquirer as well.

Can't imagine that they are having so much trouble filling their ships that they must do this. From what I can tell this additional advertising is very targeted to high income clusters within zip codes but I can't imagine it can pay for them.

It is just more recycling on an almost daily basis.:rolleyes:

Edited by orchestrapal
Posted to won place. Should have been new thread.

Heather, glad that you are happy with your news. ;) Unfortunately, we will not be able to use this credit within the year because of prior trips already planned. So for us and others in the same situation, we lose out on any "for the inconvenience " good will gesture.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe you have one year to choose a cruise for which to use the credit. In other words, if they bring out the 2018 itineraries later this year, you could book one of those.

We were in a similar situation after the Insignia fire....the cruise I'm using the credit for is almost 18 months after the fire.

I expected some snarly remarks, but what I meant is that we are complying and compassionate with all that is going on and have not complained to the staff onboard. We are not the type to make a stink. The only reason I posted on this thread is because we received free WiFi and I kept reading about how no one from our cruise was posting, so it must be fine. :).

Until you go through what a " sick cruise" is like onboard, you will never understand. I didn't when reading about the other Riviera sick cruises.

Our staterooms are being washed down twice a day and the outside of our doors multiple times a day..I do wish I could post photos to show you.

We have been full speed full speed ahead for the last 24 hours and the seas are very rough, making a bad situation even worse for some. :eek:

Don't worry, I got the same tone of comments on my live thread.

I have been on 3 ships with Noro. Riviera's was the worst I had seen.

I totally understand what you have gone through and you have my sympathies.

By the way, reporting your experiences and the facts, does NOT make you a complainer ;)

Hey Kazu, we were on that Nov sailing with you. Unlike you, O did issue several hundred dollars inSBCs for our upcoming sailing on another ship. That was weeks after we wrote HQ about how - Noro aside - Riviera's management and crew fell far short of our limited expectations. Like you, I posted a review on CC.

Anyways, having now experienced multiple Riviera sailings with Noro outbreaks - and having personally suffered what the Captains called "gastro intestinal distress" episodes - count me out. I cancelled several Riviera bookings and will not get back aboard that cursed ship.

Lying on the cabin's bathroom floor sick as dog does that to you.

BTW, its interesting posters mostly blame pax for not using hand sanitizers. Is it not equally plausible to think the virus is transmitted by crew members & handling food items?

Hey Kazu, we were on that Nov sailing with you. Unlike you, O did issue several hundred dollars inSBCs for our upcoming sailing on another ship. That was weeks after we wrote HQ about how - Noro aside - Riviera's management and crew fell far short of our limited expectations. Like you, I posted a review on CC.

Anyways, having now experienced multiple Riviera sailings with Noro outbreaks - and having personally suffered what the Captains called "gastro intestinal distress" episodes - count me out. I cancelled several Riviera bookings and will not get back aboard that cursed ship.

Lying on the cabin's bathroom floor sick as dog does that to you.

BTW, its interesting posters mostly blame pax for not using hand sanitizers. Is it not equally plausible to think the virus is transmitted by crew members & handling food items?

Hi :).

I did write O and I got a hubris reply back.

I think a lot of their problem stemmed from the food out in Waves and Terrace Grill, uncovered and available to everyone, condiments left on tables, salt & pepper shakers, etc.

I don't blame you one bit. And good for you. DH feels the same as you. It is a common joke now for him to say - may I remove your plate for you? I'll be back in 45 minutes.

I saw your review and totally agreed :)

This will probably be my last post until we return home. The internet being free means a very slow connection. Going out now to get a drink and have some fun! :)

I think you have every right to complain. If this situation doesn't warrant complaint I don't know what does. Imo Oceania did not recognize the severity of the problem on riviera soon enough The passengers are paying the price and I believe this is a big stain on Oceania's reputation.

I think I would see what the change fee is to fly home Sunday

I would not want to be stuck in a hotel where they do not have the cleaning protocol they do on the ships

You will be in a hotel with others that may carry the virus & not know it until it hits you

:eek:

I consider 25% "huge" and it was my reaction to someone posting that $100 would be nice. So that's a matter of perspective. I don't think money can fix what all of you are going through. I just told a friend no amount of money could make me want to have been on your cruise ... they could give me a full refund and I would still wish I'd been anywhere but there. Personally I believe Oceania stepped up to the plate, but maybe in your shoes I'd feel differently.

My $100 number was just something thrown out there for an instance where passengers experienced inconveniences such as reduced service because crew members were sick. You know, something Oceania wouldn't have to do, but would do as a good will gesture. Some posters have the mindset that without any "official" diagnosis of noro no compensation is necessary, but in my opinion it certainly wouldn't hurt (hence the small amount).

In this case, where a trip is cut short, of course $100 would not suffice--it's a different situation. Like you, I'm glad to see O is trying to compensate the passengers, and I hope they might be a bit flexible in allowing passengers to use that future cruise credit.

If they gave everyone an OBC & you were one of those confined to your cabin how would you spend it ??

Sneak out to the shops or bars :eek:;)

well, one would think that would be refundable and barely cover the medical visit snyways ;). Highest fees I have seen charged to date,

Iamthesea, I am so sorry. You are one of the nicest posters on CC and I would never question anything you say.

Don't worry, I got the same tone of comments on my live thread.

I have been on 3 ships with Noro. Riviera's was the worst I had seen.

I totally understand what you have gone through and you have my sympathies.

By the way, reporting your experiences and the facts, does NOT make you a complainer ;)

No one was snarky with the poster; he/she just thought someone might be. But how could anyone?? Horrible to go through this

Pretty sure I'd never cruise on Riviera again if this happens to us. I so pray it doesn't. Truth is we would have canceled if we could have. Feels a little like jumping into a ring of fire. But I have to be positive and hope they are successful.

No one was snarky with the poster; he/she just thought someone might be. But how could anyone?? Horrible to go through this

Pretty sure I'd never cruise on Riviera again if this happens to us. I so pray it doesn't. Truth is we would have canceled if we could have. Feels a little like jumping into a ring of fire. But I have to be positive and hope they are successful.

I will just disagree a bit since that same poster was snarky to me (assuming the post is still there )

Noro is workable and doesn't have to wreck your cruise. It's all in how it's handled - not fun but there are ways to do things.

I hope you have a fabulous cruise Heather :). Smooth seas and following winds :)

Highest fees I have seen charged to date,

It is hard to compare as at home we do not pay for medical visits directly

I thought the fee was not bad when DH went in May on Marina

Less than $180 for the visit, meds & follow up

A few years ago (not Oceania ) (2003) it cost us about $500 but insurance refunded it all plus the long distance call charges on my CC from Norway

Thank goodness we do not make a habit of visiting the medical centres on the ships ;)

Edited by LHT28

Not that the situations are at all the same (I don't want appear to making light of lost lives), but I recall my mother once telling me about watching an interview with a former astronaut after a space disaster. He was asked if he were in line to go on the next mission, would he go. He said, "In a heartbeat... the next one is always the safest." That's what I hope will be the case with the Riviera--the extra time and attention will take care of whatever's been causing the illness.

It is hard to compare as at home we do not pay for medical visits

I thought the fee was not bad when DH went in May on Marina

Less than $180 for the visit, meds & follow up

A few years ago (not Oceania ) (2003) it cost us about $500 but insurance refunded it all plus the long distance call charges on my CC from Norway

Thank goodness we do not make a habit of visiting the medical centres on the ships ;)

DH's visit (not Noro) for a bronchial infection was nearly $400. The ;Doctor; tried to sell him something he didn't need. DH has no respect for that 'physician' and the last time I got cruise cough (Same result). My bill was $189 on a different line and it wasn't that long ago.

And DH has more qualifications, so he knows of what he speaks. and the ramifications of what he was trying to be 'sold'

Edited by kazu

DH's visit (not Noro) for a bronchial infection was nearly $400. The ;Doctor; tried to sell him something he didn't need. DH has no respect for that 'physician' and the last time I got cruise cough (Same result). My bill was $189 on a different line and it wasn't that long ago.

DH went for Gallbladder attack so he just got some pain meds

I guess different doctors treat people differently

He did not try to push anything on him just advise us to leave the ship before the crossing ..which we did

The Noro on Marina was just starting to show up & we got home before it struck us down

I will just disagree a bit since that same poster was snarky to me (assuming the post is still there )

Noro is workable and doesn't have to wreck your cruise. It's all in how it's handled - not fun but there are ways to do things.

I hope you have a fabulous cruise Heather :). Smooth seas and following winds :)

Hi Kazu! Lovely to see you again!

I was actually not trying to be snarky to iamthesea. I thought he/she was saying that they were not complaining here on this board - my misunderstanding since they meant they were not complaining on the ship. So my bad. I apologize to that person for my misspeaking.

Hope all continues to go perfectly for you in HAL world.

Sincerely yours,

Donna

Edited by Toranut97

Hi Kazu! Lovely to see your again!

I was actually not trying to be snarky to iamthesea. I thought he/she was saying that they were not complaining here on this board - my misunderstanding since they meant they were not complaining on the ship. So my bad. I apologize to that person for my misspeaking.

Hope all continues to go perfectly for you in HAL world.

Sincerely yours,

Donna

Thank you :). I don't know if HAL will be our future past this cruise or not. Time will tell. we've done the others so, I think if we make a change we will move to luxury. Variety is the spice of life :)

Thank you :). I don't know if HAL will be our future past this cruise or not. Time will tell. we've done the others so, I think if we make a change we will move to luxury. Variety is the spice of life :)

Are you suggesting that HAL is luxury? Hope not as it has the reputation as being the old folks home on the sea. Also, HAL, or any mainstream, premium or luxury cruise are not exempt from Norovirus. Being mostly a luxury cruise line passenger, I can attest to the fact that people get sick on luxury cruise lines too. Sail the cruise line that you enjoy and take precautions so you stay healthy!

Are you suggesting that HAL is luxury? Hope not as it has the reputation as being the old folks home on the sea. Also, HAL, or any mainstream, premium or luxury cruise are not exempt from Norovirus. Being mostly a luxury cruise line passenger, I can attest to the fact that people get sick on luxury cruise lines too. Sail the cruise line that you enjoy and take precautions so you stay healthy!

HAL has had Noro many times over for sure. No cruise line is exempt as you say. Doesn't matter how luxurious, it can happen on any line.

HAL has been in our rear view mirror for years and we would never go back. Once such a wonderful line, it changed over the years and we moved to Celebrity. Then we tried Oceania and it's doubtful we'll cruise Celebrity again unless friends talk us into it.

But if you want to avoid Noro for sure, better not get on any ship😞.... So far not an option for us, but that could change!!

Did you read my post? I know I am one finger typing but I am quite sure I said our next cruise after Hal could be luxury. i never claimed Hal was luxury. But they certainly handled Noro better than O and they

never left my dirty plates sitting in front of me for 45 minutes, I thought I was going on a line superior to Hal - a few things yes - but a lot of things not,

No cruise line is exempt from Noro. As I have said, this was our third time with Noro and the worst handled I have ever seen. I know how to take precautions thank you. But Riviera's handling was abysmal. That's what I saw. I was onboard and had the stuff slashed over us 10 times while we tried to eat dinner. The guy didn't know what else to clean but the same railing and the clock.

Flame away. I was on the ship and being honest. If you think I am brutal, be glad DH doesn't post ;)

Edited by kazu