Freestyle gone too far?

gerry1.10

I just came off a wonderful cruise on the Getaway on Feb 7. First I want to make clear I am a frequent NCL cruiser and NCL has been our preferred cruiseline over the years.

The freestyle suits us very much as it allows both the formal types and casuals to mingle rather well. I am 100% the casual type. However I was rather surprised and disappointed to see that shorts were allowed in ALL MDRs including the Tropicana which is the "formal" dining room for the Getaway. As we all know NCL allows shorts to all other complimentary dining rooms except for the one "Formal" one. And I do wear shorts occasionally (like on embarkation day) for dinner and I gladly go to the other dining room that allows shorts anytime.

I brought this up to the Assistant Hotel Director (Rohinto-great guy by the way) and I was told that it was on a trial basis for Getaway only. I told him I'd rather see that they keep at least the one dining room shorts free.

And sure enough there were people with shorts and flip flops all week in the Tropicana. I for one hope that NCL does NOT implement this fleetwise.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I just came off a wonderful cruise on the Getaway on Feb 7. First I want to make clear I am a frequent NCL cruiser and NCL has been our preferred cruiseline over the years.

The freestyle suits us very much as it allows both the formal types and casuals to mingle rather well. I am 100% the casual type. However I was rather surprised and disappointed to see that shorts were allowed in ALL MDRs including the Tropicana which is the "formal" dining room for the Getaway. As we all know NCL allows shorts to all other complimentary dining rooms except for the one "Formal" one. And I do wear shorts occasionally (like on embarkation day) for dinner and I gladly go to the other dining room that allows shorts anytime.

I brought this up to the Assistant Hotel Director (Rohinto-great guy by the way) and I was told that it was on a trial basis for Getaway only. I told him I'd rather see that they keep at least the one dining room shorts free.

And sure enough there were people with shorts and flip flops all week in the Tropicana. I for one hope that NCL does NOT implement this fleetwise.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

You are free to wear what you want as long as it it decent, and others should have the same options, shouldn't they ??

Or are you just trying to start a worn out dress code thread ?????

Edited by swedish weave

Shorts were also allowed in Manhattan Room on our Escape TA, per the Freestyle Dailies. It was so cold most of the trip though, that I doubt very many people were even wearing shorts at all. I don't know if this continued on Escape's regular sailings or not.

I'm one that could eat there every day, and if someone asked me later if there were a lot of people in shorts at dinner, my honest response would be, "I have no idea." I just don't care that much about what others are doing.

There are two restaurants on each ship that are more "formal" requiring long pants and collared shirt for men and no shorts. On Getaway, these restaurants are Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. On many of the older ships the aft main dining room is one of the two more formal restaurants (along with Le Bistro), but not on Getaway. I found this information quite easily in researching my cruise by looking for Getaway dailies right here on Cruise Critic in various threads.

Has freestyle gone too far? Well, my spouse and I have just returned from a 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Gem. On one of the sea days, we were enjoying a very peaceful, relaxing morning sitting in the shade on two lounge chairs up on deck 13. Our tranquility was shattered when a woman sat down next to us and proceeded to CLIP HER TOENAILS, right there on the deck. Clip, clip, clip, drop, drop, drop... Gross!!

My spouse politely asked her to do her personal grooming in her cabin. She replied that she was free to do whatever she wanted, wherever she wanted. She then took out an entire pedicure kit and began opening the smelly nail polish remover. My spouse spoke to her again. She finally moved away.

There are two restaurants on each ship that are more "formal" requiring long pants and collared shirt for men and no shorts. On many of the older ships the aft main dining room is one of the two more formal restaurants (along with Le Bistro).

I moved to NZ in 1969 and wore longs on about 30 occasions after I discovered 'dress' shorts. On our cruises I wear shorts whenever I eat in the MDR or Specialty Restaurants. I do carry a pair of longs so I can eat in the more 'formal' MDR and le Bistro.

Even wearing shorts with a "dressier" T and closed toe sandals I feel very comfortable with my standard of dress.

Mike

Has freestyle gone too far? Well, my spouse and I have just returned from a 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Gem. On one of the sea days, we were enjoying a very peaceful, relaxing morning sitting in the shade on two lounge chairs up on deck 13. Our tranquility was shattered when a woman sat down next to us and proceeded to CLIP HER TOENAILS, right there on the deck. Clip, clip, clip, drop, drop, drop... Gross!!

My spouse politely asked her to do her personal grooming in her cabin. She replied that she was free to do whatever she wanted, wherever she wanted. She then took out an entire pedicure kit and began opening the smelly nail polish remover. My spouse spoke to her again. She finally moved away.

OMG that is too gross. TMI

Be thankful it wasn't in the dining room!!

Mike

Do anything you wish, as long as you are complying with the rules. And NCL, if you establish rules, enforce them or otherwise remove them.

Be careful; there is no rule banning cutting toenails on the deck!!! But I do agree with the second part of the quote.

As a teacher I was always taught to set the rules on day 1 and then enforce them; be fair but firm; and don't let the line waiver or the students will not know where they are.

Mike

I see nothing wrong with nice shorts on men. Why am I allowed to wear capris but DH has to wear long pants? And why are long jeans more acceptable than a nice pair of golf shorts?

As long as clothes are clean and not torn or too revealing, why not?

I saw just last week on the Spirit a woman who was so stuffed into a strapless gown 2 sizes too small that she had 4 breasts. Ick.

I know I will get blasted for this, but oh well. Who cares what people are wearing, for the life of me I will never understand it.

Absolutely agree. As long as the clothes is clean and doesn't smell, I couldn't care less what anyone else wears.

I see nothing wrong with nice shorts on men. Why am I allowed to wear capris but DH has to wear long pants? And why are long jeans more acceptable than a nice pair of golf shorts?

As long as clothes are clean and not torn or too revealing, why not?

I saw just last week on the Spirit a woman who was so stuffed into a strapless gown 2 sizes too small that she had 4 breasts. Ick.

All too true.

On our last cruise a "lady" was allowed to enter an MDR with a dress that was shorter than my shorts (and they are not Bermudas but NZ dress shorts). Yeeeeeeeeeech :eek:

Mike

I almost puked when I read this. So disgusting!

On my breakaway cruise last month, my coverup was deemed too short for the buffet and I was asked to put shorts or a towel on (of which I has neither since I had sent my SO to the room with our stuff while I grabbed food to bring back to the room). I wouldn't have been annoyed except for 1) how self conscious I became to ever go to the buffet after a day in port 2) apparently bathrobes are acceptable attire, but my (yes it was sort, but covered everything) cover up was not ok. So

I guess as long as your bottom reaches mid thigh, you can wear whatever 😁. Lesson learned about what to pack next time I guess.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

As long as people are clean I don't care what they wear to eat. I find nothing "formal" about any eatery on any mass market cruise line.

This behavior has nothing to do with Freestyle. It is simply a lack of manners.

I'm right there with you. What someone wears has never interfered with my dining experience ever.

I completely agree. People on the Carnival board are always complaining about how "__ruined my dinner because they weren't dressed for formal night". Like I personally don't understand how that ruins your dinner? I really don't pay much attention to what someone is wearing. I may notice someone in a really pretty dress, but as far as noticing if someone walks into a dining room in sandals, I doubt I would even know.

We were on a cruise once that ended on Christmas day. On Christmas eve, I had on dress pants, nice shoes, and long sleeve dress shirt and felt under-dressed. Most of the other passengers were dressed better for Christmas, family pictures. Wish I would have brought a jacket alone. If we feel like staying in our shorts in the evening, we just hit the buffet. Not saying that everyone else has too, it's just us.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

The beauty of Freestyle is people can (and will) wear what suits them. I always kinda wondered why NCL made any sort of distinction based on the dining room one was in.