Regal Princess B2B Feb.7 likes & dislikes.

keithm

I'll post a full review upon returning home. Overall a good,but not great cruise so far. My comparison will be comparing the Regal to the Celebrity Eclipse doing an inside room.The cabin size is about equal.Bed size equal. Storage better in the Regal cabin. Bathrooms..Ahh.. here the Eclipse is far better. Better use of space. Enclosed shower stall & much better water pressure. Hand held shower head nice on Regal,but water pressure pretty lame. Towels much better on Eclipse. Larger & softer. Regal towels similar to what's in an Econo Lodge. We checked balcony cabins on Feb.14 before the next group boarded. Toiletries a bit better,but that's it. Interior of Regal is absolutely stunning. Superb use of granite & marble. No lounge at top & front of ship. Vista should be forward & on the top of the ship. Only 2 stairways way forward & way aft. Causes a lot of log jams around the lifts. Staff aboard was truly excellent. As good as any we've ever seen. Kudos to them for staying so polite with some of the PAX I've seen.

Food is always subjective, but here goes..I'm part owner & the buyer for a multi million dollar catering co. The food aboard the Regal is good,but not great.The cuts of beef in Sabatinis/Crown Grill are "Select" On Eclipse they are "Choice". One of the reasons the prices on Regal are about half of Eclipse. The desserts are really a downer. Way too much use of whip creams/mousse. Really not very creative in style. Some are obviously purchased from Sysco/Us Foods. I know. Some are the same we use in cheaper weddings. Still decent quality, but not home made.

Entertainment..OK, not great. Roving violin quartets & piano players are excellent. Shows in theater quite lame. The theater was surprisingly small for a ship this size. Dancers not very skilled. The singers,however are as good/better as we've seen on any ship.

PAX..ok here's where I'll get flamed. Most do a 7 day trip, we did a 14 day trip. A lot of southern rednecks(I call 'em as I see 'em) Next up were a lot of New York retirees. The rest were a mix of foreign & seasoned cruisers. Less kids the first part. More on our second leg. All quite well behaved. Dress style was from formal to true "trailer trash",even on formal nights Sorry, but on formal night, at least wear a decent pair of shorts & nice shirt. Rednecks mostly wore swim trunks & cheesy T shirts 24/7. Some formal pic in the gallery showed several dressed this way. Really? Is this how you want your friends to see you? Most drinking I've ever seen, has been aboard this ship. Most were ok on board, but really got hammered ashore. Their behavior on shore is an embarrassment to the US, when on the islands.

Shore excursions very varied & great overall.Probably the best in the industry.

Now..Would we cruise Princess again? Possibly. Depends on itinerary/pricing. Our next trip next year will be back on Celebrity. Sorry, Princess fans, but Celebrity knows what a premium cruise is about. As I said I will post a more thorough review at the end.

I'll post a full review upon returning home. Overall a good,but not great cruise so far. My comparison will be comparing the Regal to the Celebrity Eclipse doing an inside room.The cabin size is about equal.Bed size equal. Storage better in the Regal cabin. Bathrooms..Ahh.. here the Eclipse is far better. Better use of space. Enclosed shower stall & much better water pressure. Hand held shower head nice on Regal,but water pressure pretty lame. Towels much better on Eclipse. Larger & softer. Regal towels similar to what's in an Econo Lodge. We checked balcony cabins on Feb.14 before the next group boarded. Toiletries a bit better,but that's it. Interior of Regal is absolutely stunning. Superb use of granite & marble. No lounge at top & front of ship. Vista should be forward & on the top of the ship. Only 2 stairways way forward & way aft. Causes a lot of log jams around the lifts. Staff aboard was truly excellent. As good as any we've ever seen. Kudos to them for staying so polite with some of the PAX I've seen.

Food is always subjective, but here goes..I'm part owner & the buyer for a multi million dollar catering co. The food aboard the Regal is good,but not great.The cuts of beef in Sabatinis/Crown Grill are "Select" On Eclipse they are "Choice". One of the reasons the prices on Regal are about half of Eclipse. The desserts are really a downer. Way too much use of whip creams/mousse. Really not very creative in style. Some are obviously purchased from Sysco/Us Foods. I know. Some are the same we use in cheaper weddings. Still decent quality, but not home made.

Entertainment..OK, not great. Roving violin quartets & piano players are excellent. Shows in theater quite lame. The theater was surprisingly small for a ship this size. Dancers not very skilled. The singers,however are as good/better as we've seen on any ship.

PAX..ok here's where I'll get flamed. Most do a 7 day trip, we did a 14 day trip. A lot of southern rednecks(I call 'em as I see 'em) Next up were a lot of New York retirees. The rest were a mix of foreign & seasoned cruisers. Less kids the first part. More on our second leg. All quite well behaved. Dress style was from formal to true "trailer trash",even on formal nights Sorry, but on formal night, at least wear a decent pair of shorts & nice shirt. Rednecks mostly wore swim trunks & cheesy T shirts 24/7. Some formal pic in the gallery showed several dressed this way. Really? Is this how you want your friends to see you? Most drinking I've ever seen, has been aboard this ship. Most were ok on board, but really got hammered ashore. Their behavior on shore is an embarrassment to the US, when on the islands.

Now..Would we cruise Princess again? Possibly. Depends on itinerary/pricing. Our next trip next year will be back on Celebrity. Sorry, Princess fans, but Celebrity knows what a premium cruise is about. As I said I will post a more thorough review at the end.

I'm so sorry you are disappointed...but I'm confused about why your review is all based on comparing this line to another one. We cruise on NCL and on Princess. I've never compared the two lines. Why would I? Princess delivers one product and they price it well. Other lines deliver another product and price it accordingly.

I think each cruiseline...heck, even each specific cruise should be judged on their own merit. I'd have a miserable vacation if my mindset was always comparing my current vacation to ones I've taken in the past.

Thank you for your review.

I think after this next cruise on the Regal we will be testing the waters over at Celebrity.

I'm surprised you think some of the desserts are from Sysco. When we did a galley tour on the Ruby we were told that everything was homemade on the ship.:confused:

I'm not going to flame you over your "colorful" fellow PAX descriptions, but I will say that I get extremely sad and disheartened when derogatory stereotypes are used in reviews. It is just so insulting and unnecessary.

Shorts and t-shirts make rednecks? Don't tell anyone on my March Regal Princess cruise what I live in a gated country club!! They'll never believe you since I'll be wearing shorts and t-shirts in the dining room! Very insulting and presumptuous! Oh, and please don't tell them I have a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science as well!!! Lord only knows what they'd think of me next! :eek:

Edited by rilco33647

Thank you for your review.

I think after this next cruise on the Regal we will be testing the waters over at Celebrity.

I'm surprised you think some of the desserts are from Sysco. When we did a galley tour on the Ruby we were told that everything was homemade on the ship.:confused:

I'm not going to flame you over your "colorful" fellow PAX descriptions, but I will say that I get extremely sad and disheartened when derogatory stereotypes are used in reviews. It is just so insulting and unnecessary.

I agree with you about the derogatory stereotypes.

I'm also surprised about the desserts. I've cruised on the Royal and I thought the desserts were fabulous.

Shorts and t-shirts make rednecks? Don't tell anyone on my March Regal Princess cruise what I live in a gated country club!! They'll never believe you since I'll be wearing shorts and t-shirts in the dining room! Very insulting and presumptuous! Oh, and please don't tell them I have a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science as well!!! Lord only knows what they'd think of me next! :eek:

Not at dinner you won't. No shorts in the dining room

Going on the Regal in 13 days and appreciate your constructive criticism of your cruise. As for the "Redneck" comments, I understand you used it as a term of art to describe a certain class of people we can all relate to with one word. Interesting how offended everyone is quick to get here, yet he/she never equated that word in some extreme negative manner. Not to mention some people wear that title as a badge of honor, including the ones he/she might be talking about.

There seems to be a trend on this board whenever someone posts honest, but slightly negative feedback we jump all over them grasping on to anything we possibly can to question the validity of their feedback. It's rather a shame, and would prevent me from posting my feelings.

Anyway, Thanks again and look forward to your more full review. It sounds like the few things you mentioned thus far are things that won't bother me at all.

First let me state that X is not considered a "premium cruise line". Along with Princess, it is known in the travel industry as a mass market cruise line.

Most frequent cruisers prefer the food on Princess as opposed to X. I don't know when you last cruised with them but many CC posters have commented how X food has really gone down hill.

I can tell you that all desserts on Princess are made on the ship. Having done the UST many times and taken thru the galley where desserts are made. The ONLY items not freshly made on Princess ships are the sliced bread (for toast) and the bagels.

Steaks in the Crown grill are prime, not select as you stated. The steaks I've had in the Crown grill that have been better or equal to steaks at Ruth Criss at a third of the price (PS: Ruth Criss is a high end steakhouse).

You state you did a 14 day cruise and most cruisers on Princess mostly do 7 day cruises. Totally not true and I've been on similar 7 day cruises on Princess where almost half the passengers were in transit in Ft. Lauderdale. I have over 400 days and 47 cruises on Princess so I think I speak from experience. X and Princess attract the same type of passengers so I really find it hard to believe that similar episodes of drinking either on the ship or on the islands have not been reported on X cruises.

You should get flamed for your comments regarding other passengers and where they're from. Many retirees from the NE have retired to the east coast of Florida so the demographics on X ships and Princess ships are very similar if they are sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. They represent the people of southeast Florida.

As far as the dining room dress codes, shorts and what you described are not permitted in the MDR. Cruising frequently with Princess I have seen the dress code enforced 99% of the time a maybe only a few times where it wasn't strictly enforced. You can certainly mention dress code faux pas to the MD and they will certainly remove the passenger from the dining room, otherwise there is no "dress code" for the rest of the ship. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

First let me state that X is not considered a "premium cruise line". Along with Princess, it is known in the travel industry as a mass market cruise line.

Seems like the even though as you mentioned a mass market line the X ships consistently rank in all cruise categories voted by fellow cruise critic passengers on these boards:

Overall:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Overall&sort=large

Please show me Regal or Royal on this list?

Dining:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Dining&sort=large

Seems like the even though as you mentioned a mass market line the X ships consistently rank in all cruise categories voted by fellow cruise critic passengers on these boards:

Overall:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Overall&sort=large

Please show me Regal or Royal on this list?

Dining:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Dining&sort=large

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here since it doesn't make much sense. I was not speaking about any CC polls but travel industry information - both lines are considered on par with the other in the industry and NOT considered premium cruise lines.

Thank you for your review. It is only natural to compare experiences. My Celebrity experience was on the Summit and the whole time considered jumping ship...hated it in all aspects. In fact, it failed health inspection several months after returning back from our cruise...when does that ever happen?! I've heard that the newer ships are much better but I won't give them another chance. "X" for luxury, really? Overly mainstream.

I appreciate your review all the same. I have feelings about certain regional demographics from prior experiences of large groups, but won't post them for obvious reasons. Unfair? Maybe, but I'm NOT the only one. This could have been an "off" cruise, which happens. Perhaps you may give Princess a second chance...:)

Edited by kendon

It's funny - a couple sitting at the table beside us one night in Horizon Court looked to be "less than flashy". I initially thought that, being from the south myself, perhaps they were from our neck of the woods. Turns out they were Canadian.

(And they were very nice,by the way).

Edited by CATGUY7
Added comment

We just got home from this cruise. Our perspective on this cruise is different then the original 0P. This is the first cruise we did not dress for formal night. We noticed how nicely dressed all of the passengers were even in the Horizon Court Of course since we did not dress up for formal night we ate in the HC. Many pax were dressed up even in the HC.

We also thought that the entertainment with top-notch. We especially enjoyed the production shows. We thought the singers went fantastic as well as the dancers.

The only negative thing throughout the whole cruise was some of the passengers seem to be on the ornery side. We are in our late 50s most of the passengers were in their 70s. Found a lot of the older passengers were rude and seem to be doing a lot of pushing to get into the elevators. My husband and I both noticed there was a lot of every man for himself kind of attitude. We have never witnessed that kind of behavior on any of the other Princess cruises we had taken..

I hope to do a review of our cruise in a few days

Posting that the desserts are from Sysco and that the steaks in specialty restaurants are of poor quality is not a different view - it is down right incorrect (wrong) information. IMHO casual users come to this board for ACCURATE information and opinions. And being from NY and now retired to south Florida I know all the anti-Semitic code when I hear it..... I've lived it for 60 yrs.

My two cents.........The desserts on Princess may be made on board, BUT they lack imagination and taste. The last time I dined in the Crown Steak House was this past Sept on the Golden and my steak was definitely chewy and fatty. So the poster was giving an opinion and it wasn't incorrect. Unless we are not allowed to give an opinion if it disagrees with yours.

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed the comparison to Celebrity. I've never cruised with Celebrity, and I have heard many people say they enjoy it on par with Princess. I do feel like if I venture out to try another Cruise line I might try a "premium" line, but I'm no where near having done enough research on which line I would try. We've done Carnival and Royal Caribbean and really prefer Princess right now. We are enjoying trying to make it to Elite. :)

I agree with you in that I do not like the shorter cruises. I prefer 10-15 days as that's as long as I can really get away from work. 7 days just doesn't seem to be enough for me to feel like I'm "getting away". I've never done a back to back though.

Food is so subjective but it is disappointing to hear that you did not like it. We've always found Crown Grill to have fabulous steaks. Our only complaint last time was that they were over salted. We try to do the steakhouse at least once every cruise, usually twice. Sorry you didn't like yours, perhaps it was the cut?

We never do the entertainment, so that wouldn't affect us and I've never noticed a problem with the towels. I have had issues with sagging the beds, but it's never been enough to put a damper on our trip. At least you didn't have a bad bed. :)

Thanks for sharing and sorry you weren't happy with your cruise and fellow passengers. Hopefully next time things will go better for you. Good luck

Going on the Regal in 13 days and appreciate your constructive criticism of your cruise. As for the "Redneck" comments, I understand you used it as a term of art to describe a certain class of people we can all relate to with one word. Interesting how offended everyone is quick to get here, yet he/she never equated that word in some extreme negative manner. Not to mention some people wear that title as a badge of honor, including the ones he/she might be talking about.

There seems to be a trend on this board whenever someone posts honest, but slightly negative feedback we jump all over them grasping on to anything we possibly can to question the validity of their feedback. It's rather a shame, and would prevent me from posting my feelings.

Anyway, Thanks again and look forward to your more full review. It sounds like the few things you mentioned thus far are things that won't bother me at all.

And several people have made MILLIONS perpetuating the Redneck stereotype....Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy. While some may see the descriptions as derogatory, they certainly are well known and bacicaly accurate. Then there are those who are in the perpetually offended group. Lighten up people, none of us are making it out alive.

I would 100% agree that the steaks we had in the Caribbean Princess in November were definitely USDA Select and not Choice nor Prime.

My New York was only 1 inch thick, tough but full of gristle. (Similar to a steak you'd receive at Denny's)

I then requested a filet (The most tender of all steaks) but it was also somewhat tough and lacked the fat content that either a Choice or Prime cut would have.

We typically buy Costco's USDA choice beef and I can say they are much better than what's being served in the Crown Grill during our visit.

And several people have made MILLIONS perpetuating the Redneck stereotype....Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy. While some may see the descriptions as derogatory, they certainly are well known and bacicaly accurate. Then there are those who are in the perpetually offended group. Lighten up people, none of us are making it out alive.

Very correct. Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you are going to offer an honest opinion in a large group of people then you ought to expect feedback. If you say something that offends people then they are going to speak up. That's why is a good idea to weigh out your words before you hit "post" and consider the audience. Most people are not cool with people making derogatory generalizations. I'm also not understanding how that's 'helpful' in a review. He's bashing his fellow passengers. Shouldn't he post their names so we can avoid cruising with those people? (I'm not serious)

Suppose someone posts a review that says "There were a lot of fat women on board and many of them wore swimsuits. It really ruined my poolside experience." Would that be OK? Is that helpful to anyone else considering cruising on that ship? NOPE! It's simply an opinion and even though it's honest, it should be left out of the review.

The OP could have said "I was disappointed in the manner that people dressed..." and then described the things that bothered him. He never needed to decide that they were 'rednecks'. I live as far north as you can get before you hit Canada and I promise you there are people around me that dress in the same manner he described. It's not just something relating to people in the South.

I challenge you to click on my profile and find any post where I am one of those "Princess Cheerleaders". We all know who they are, and yes, it can be a tad frustrating. But don't you think calling them a "cancer" is a little extreme? Those same people have offered a wealth of information to new cruisers answering obscure and not so obscure questions over and over and over again with unbelievable patience. They have helped me and countless others get the most out of our Princess Cruise Experience.

I eagerly read every comparison between Princess and Celebrity because I fully intend to book a Celebrity cruise next. I personally don't believe that Princess needs me to defend their product Perhaps you think I over-reacted to the OP's fellow pax descriptions. I honestly don't think I did. He lost all credibility with me since he clearly does not think in the same way I do. The result being that it doesn't matter to me what he thinks of Princess OR Celebrity. Let's just agree to disagree.

Very well said. I am not new to these boards but I forgot my login after a 5-yr hiatus. I was surprised that some of the names I remembered were still here. I like your description.

Also-- I thought it was weird that the OP compared the cruise to X, but I can see from your post that there might be value in that. Personally, it would ruin my vacation if I was always comparing it to another, but hopefully he found enough enjoyment anyway.

You are about to board to Regal!! Can't wait to hear your review when you get back.

After reading the OP's post and the following replies, I conclude that everyone is entitled to an opinion.

If there are 2000 passengers on a cruise,there will ,most likely ,be 2000 opinions to a varying degree ,of that particular cruise experience.

I will say though,the reference to the passenger demographics consisting,in part, of New York retirees did not seem to me to be an anti -semetic reference. I am from NYC-born and bred.

I am Christian. I spend some part of the winter in Florida as both my husband and I are retirees.

I took the NY reference to imply the stereotypical view of a New Yorker that is not complimentary to our behavior and culture.

These stereotypes are usually held by people who do not know anyone from NY very well,or have not experienced visiting any part of New York state.

So, after reading the OP''s post,I realized that it was highly opinionated, negative and served to cause reactions from CC readers.

As for us,we will continue to cruise with Princess and may consider a cruise on Celebrity.

After all, my DH and I cruise to experience travel with each other and not those who happen to select the same cruise that we book.

You are about to board to Regal!! Can't wait to hear your review when you get back.

Yes, this Sunday! :D:D:D

I will write a review but I will warn you ahead of time - DH and I are ones that look for the good and only notice the bad if it hits us smack in the face. When I see good, I feel good so I am really looking forward to experiencing all the added amenities on the Royal Class!