Regal Princess B2B Feb.7 likes & dislikes.

keithm

There were about 20%+ dressed in t shirts & swim pants. I'm used to that in the buffet, but it just made the crowd look low rent when you saw so much of it at night. The Feb.14-21 leg of the trip, the crowd was far different. more of what I'm used to seeing. You'll see pax with no sense of style all the time, but I've never seen so much of it as we did the first leg of the trip. Many of these same pax went ashore on some of the same excursions as us & their boorish behavior embarrasses me as an American. I don't like people in foreign countries seeing us act like this. Makes us look like a nation of yahoos.

And this has something to do with the Superbowl?

Maybe you ought to explore a line like Crystal. I'm not being sarcastic. You're expectations about fellow passengers might be better met on a higher priced line.

OP - thanks for your review. I was not offended by your descriptions of other paxs. I believed your post was written in good nature and with no intent to offend anyone.

However, my experience has been different than yours. I've cruised on Cunard, Princess, and Celebrity several times. Found them all more similar than different. Cunard was a little too "class" oriented for me and lots of (shall I say it) "mature" people. That's to be expected but it made the atmosphere a little too (as The Ramones would say) sedated. I liked Celebrity but people looked at my four year old (at the time) like she was the plague. Didn't care for the kids club, either. I found Princess (and Disney) to be the best (aside from Regent and Crystal - those line I don't sail anymore because of the kid). I like a little "redneck" in the pax mix. I dated a Cajun for several years and find those southerners really know how to have a good time! :D

True, I like a little "flavor" as well, but too much spoils the stew! You think Cunard has "mature" pax, try the Eclipse on the 14 day trips in the Caribbean. I actually prefer the more sedate crowds. There aren't too many kids on the cruises I've done. Quite a few more on the Feb.14-21 part of our trip(Feb. vacation)All were very well behaved & many really strutted their best clothes. All the more to impress the babes, I guess. Princess does have a god set up for kids, especially the teens. None ever looked bored(well, except when the parents were near!) Overall it was a very good cruise, but I just like a bit more of a premium cruise, I guess.

And this has something to do with the Superbowl?

Maybe you ought to explore a line like Crystal. I'm not being sarcastic. You're expectations about fellow passengers might be better met on a higher priced line.

Sorry, Blue, but that line is out of my cost range. As I've said to many here. The crowd on the Feb.7-14 leg had a lot of trashy looking pax. That was Superbowl Sunday. Why was the crowd entirely different on the Feb.14-21 part of the trip. I expect to see pax who dress like slobs on any line. Just not as many as on the first part of the cruise. Hey, during the day you can dress however you choose, but a night I feel SOME level of decorum is in order. We wore suits on formal nights & sport coats on most other nights. Clean shorts & polo style shirts are fine with me. Skanky looking swim shorts & wife beater T shirts are NOT. There was just way too much of that for me. On the Eclipse in 2014 we were at sea during the Bowl game & trust me few pax dressed like that. Most had nice shorts & nice shirts & managed to put down an amazing amount of ribs/wings & all kinds of goodies & still come out of it looking surprisingly clean!

We just got home from this cruise. Our perspective on this cruise is different then the original 0P. This is the first cruise we did not dress for formal night. We noticed how nicely dressed all of the passengers were even in the Horizon Court Of course since we did not dress up for formal night we ate in the HC. Many pax were dressed up even in the HC.

We also thought that the entertainment with top-notch. We especially enjoyed the production shows. We thought the singers went fantastic as well as the dancers.

The only negative thing throughout the whole cruise was some of the passengers seem to be on the ornery side. We are in our late 50s most of the passengers were in their 70s. Found a lot of the older passengers were rude and seem to be doing a lot of pushing to get into the elevators. My husband and I both noticed there was a lot of every man for himself kind of attitude. We have never witnessed that kind of behavior on any of the other Princess cruises we had taken..

I hope to do a review of our cruise in a few days

For the most part Princess passengers are thoughtful and kind but we also see plenty of Princess passengers who have that "DYKWIA" and "ever man for himself" attitudes. It is very noticeable in the tender lines, theater, pool areas. elevators and also the reservation line at ATD. I have seen some of the best behaviors of mankind and the worst behaviors of mankind on a cruise ship. :eek:

re food, desserts et al.... you shouldn't really expect any real 'haute cuisine' on any cruise boat line, or all-inclusives etc., or any operation that's in the business of feeding the masses.... for that, book a week of fine restaurants in Paris, or NYC, or Milan etc...

Sorry, Blue, but that line is out of my cost range. As I've said to many here. The crowd on the Feb.7-14 leg had a lot of trashy looking pax. That was Superbowl Sunday. Why was the crowd entirely different on the Feb.14-21 part of the trip. I expect to see pax who dress like slobs on any line. Just not as many as on the first part of the cruise. Hey, during the day you can dress however you choose, but a night I feel SOME level of decorum is in order. We wore suits on formal nights & sport coats on most other nights. Clean shorts & polo style shirts are fine with me. Skanky looking swim shorts & wife beater T shirts are NOT. There was just way too much of that for me. On the Eclipse in 2014 we were at sea during the Bowl game & trust me few pax dressed like that. Most had nice shorts & nice shirts & managed to put down an amazing amount of ribs/wings & all kinds of goodies & still come out of it looking surprisingly clean!

Yes...you've mentioned a few times that the passengers were "trashy" looking. In fact, you're adding to that description when pressed, so apparently you don't feel there's anything wrong with talking like this. I won't attempt to shame you since I suspect you're immune to that.

Personally, I don't go on a cruise to spend my time studying the dress and behavior of my fellow passengers. I might note someone here and there but I usually don't give it more than a passing thought.

I'm going to move along and not comment further. Maybe you ought to warn us all of the cruises you'll be on so we can avoid them. I'd hate to think I might not dress or act according to your standards.

Keith-

I read your review and your responses to other's comments. While there are points that I agree with in your narrative, I do take exception to the sweeping generalization of the "Southern Redneck". I actually live well below the Mason-Dixon Line (and I actually know where it is), and I, and most of my friends and acquaintances, are extremely well educated, both academically and in comportment. I have also lived in New England. (and on the Pacific Northwest, and Midwest, and Europe). I have found that one might encounter boorish behavior that could be attached to any region of the world. The fundimental difference between one with manners and one without is those without stereotype a particular group based on their geographical demographics. I implore upon you to reconsider the use of these monikers, if for no other reason than to paint yourself in a better light. In the wise words of Eleanor Roosevelt, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

And because I am not all about "keyboard courage", this is my email address should you wish to discuss this further: tracie <at> carolina <dot> rr <dot> com

We may have a lot to learn from one another.

Sign me-

Yankee by birth, Southern by choice-

Tracie-Lynn

Yes...you've mentioned a few times that the passengers were "trashy" looking. In fact, you're adding to that description when pressed, so apparently you don't feel there's anything wrong with talking like this. I won't attempt to shame you since I suspect you're immune to that.

Personally, I don't go on a cruise to spend my time studying the dress and behavior of my fellow passengers. I might note someone here and there but I usually don't give it more than a passing thought.

I'm going to move along and not comment further. Maybe you ought to warn us all of the cruises you'll be on so we can avoid them. I'd hate to think I might not dress or act according to your standards.

All I can say is I've never seen pax like I did Feb.7-14. If you dress in swim shorts & wife beater t shirts at night on your cruises & act like a drunken fool, yeah, perhaps you won't meet my standards.

Keith-

I read your review and your responses to other's comments. While there are points that I agree with in your narrative, I do take exception to the sweeping generalization of the "Southern Redneck". I actually live well below the Mason-Dixon Line (and I actually know where it is), and I, and most of my friends and acquaintances, are extremely well educated, both academically and in comportment. I have also lived in New England. (and on the Pacific Northwest, and Midwest, and Europe). I have found that one might encounter boorish behavior that could be attached to any region of the world. The fundimental difference between one with manners and one without is those without stereotype a particular group based on their geographical demographics. I implore upon you to reconsider the use of these monikers, if for no other reason than to paint yourself in a better light. In the wise words of Eleanor Roosevelt, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

And because I am not all about "keyboard courage", this is my email address should you wish to discuss this further: tracie <at> carolina <dot> rr <dot> com

We may have a lot to learn from one another.

Sign me-

Yankee by birth, Southern by choice-

Tracie-Lynn

Sorry, Tracie I guess the redneck comments were out of line. If not for the accent you couldn't tell who they were. But unfortunately the accents gave it away. I still think this was a lot to do with the game Feb.7. After the 14'th the crowd completely changed.

Sorry, Tracie I guess the redneck comments were out of line. If not for the accent you couldn't tell who they were. But unfortunately the accents gave it away. I still think this was a lot to do with the game Feb.7. After the 14'th the crowd completely changed.

Thanks, Keith. I truly appreciate that.

(say this next section in your head with a Southern accent ;) )

Being as we are from Charlotte, we were pretty fired up about our cats making it to the big game and all. Our city was all lit up blue and silver. And 'bout every person was in some sort of black and blue. It was most certainly one of the most exciting times I can remember round these parts. Happy for a great season, but a smidge sad about the outcome. Guess that lucky hat weren't so lucky in the end. We will just have to get 'em next year. Bless their hearts!

Thanks, Keith. I truly appreciate that.

(say this next section in your head with a Southern accent ;) )

Being as we are from Charlotte, we were pretty fired up about our cats making it to the big game and all. Our city was all lit up blue and silver. And 'bout every person was in some sort of black and blue. It was most certainly one of the most exciting times I can remember round these parts. Happy for a great season, but a smidge sad about the outcome. Guess that lucky hat weren't so lucky in the end. We will just have to get 'em next year. Bless their hearts!

Could be worse! Try saying about the same statement with a thick "Bawston accent. The road info. sign once told drivers "When tawning use ya blinka!" Nice to see someone from the DOT had a dense of humor! I can mimic most accents including southern. I do a great Yiddish accent(being from the greater NY area & I'm not even Jewish)Boston accent..Really never could master that one.

Could be worse! Try saying about the same statement with a thick "Bawston accent. The road info. sign once told drivers "When tawning use ya blinka!" Nice to see someone from the DOT had a dense of humor! I can mimic most accents including southern. I do a great Yiddish accent(being from the greater NY area & I'm not even Jewish)Boston accent..Really never could master that one.

Having lived in New Haven for 10 years AND being a life-long Sox fan (even in the lean years- like most of the 80's and 90's)- I, too, am flummoxed by a Bostan accent. I just can't replicate it, either. But it is a great city with lots and lots of wonderful universities! (and some pretty darn good food!!!)

All I can say is I've never seen pax like I did Feb.7-14. If you dress in swim shorts & wife beater t shirts at night on your cruises & act like a drunken fool, yeah, perhaps you won't meet my standards.

This was the 2nd week of a b2b for us and I guess I must not pay too much attention to what others wear as it does not impact my enjoyment of a cruise. Never encountered any drunken fools..we commented on how little we saw people having cocktails. I guess we all see the world differently.

Interesting read and whatever floats your boat! I don't care what people wear or do on a cruise. I notice passenger mix sometimes when I do a European cruise, then take a TA back to the states. First cruise will be quieter, more subdued, second will be noticeably louder, boisterous, and do I care, not really!

Everyone has their favorite lines, me, I don't care for Celebrity. Tried it twice, giving it a second chance after not liking the first one. This was some year ago and will not sail with Celebrity again, my choice. I don't understand comparisons though, I write a review of my cruise on a particular line and don't mention other cruise lines.

Edited by susancruzs

We usually sail on Princess or Celebrity, whichever has the best itinerary for us. I think it is also a different perspective depending on your age group, with or without children. We were on the sister ship- Royal-- found the food surprisingly good all over- didn't care for the lay out at all. The two of us had a regular balcony cabin-- perfectly ok for us- the purpose of that cruise was strictly for good snorkeling ports for hubbie, so that was the main objective.

The few shows we went to were pretty good- but no, if I were looking for a cruise for the sake of cruising, we did not care for the layout at all. Only once on a Princess ship, was the food absolutely horrendous- it was on the Sapphire around 6 years ago. But everything else on the cruise was great- it was for Alaska with great scenery and the crew was unusually nice-- After that cruise, I was hesitant to book Princess again due to the lousy food. We just came back from the Coral Princess- excellent food, ok shows-- but ship we found was not good for just a party of 2 for anytime dining. Also, the enclosed Lotus Pool that I normally love on the Princess ships that have it, was no good for adults only. Area was poorly supervised and the last straw was a man tossing around a diaper clad baby. For us, that was a deal breaker, as we were all set to book the Coral for Alaska. Instead we are giving our business to Celebrity, as their Solarium is more of an adult area.

Each cruise line has its on ups and downs- So if you are really going for the cruise experience over anything else, I suggest you decide what is important to you and find the ship that accomplishes most of your goals.

We usually sail on Princess or Celebrity, whichever has the best itinerary for us. I think it is also a different perspective depending on your age group, with or without children. We were on the sister ship- Royal-- found the food surprisingly good all over- didn't care for the lay out at all. The two of us had a regular balcony cabin-- perfectly ok for us- the purpose of that cruise was strictly for good snorkeling ports for hubbie, so that was the main objective.

The few shows we went to were pretty good- but no, if I were looking for a cruise for the sake of cruising, we did not care for the layout at all. Only once on a Princess ship, was the food absolutely horrendous- it was on the Sapphire around 6 years ago. But everything else on the cruise was great- it was for Alaska with great scenery and the crew was unusually nice-- After that cruise, I was hesitant to book Princess again due to the lousy food. We just came back from the Coral Princess- excellent food, ok shows-- but ship we found was not good for just a party of 2 for anytime dining. Also, the enclosed Lotus Pool that I normally love on the Princess ships that have it, was no good for adults only. Area was poorly supervised and the last straw was a man tossing around a diaper clad baby. For us, that was a deal breaker, as we were all set to book the Coral for Alaska. Instead we are giving our business to Celebrity, as their Solarium is more of an adult area.

Each cruise line has its on ups and downs- So if you are really going for the cruise experience over anything else, I suggest you decide what is important to you and find the ship that accomplishes most of your goals.

Thanks..a great post. I did like Princess. Just didn't like the dress & behavior of a lot of pax Feb.7-14. Feb.14-21 pax were totally different. Like night & day. I still feel it was due to the Superbowl being on Feb.7 & a lot booked that week for the game.

I have noticed that when cruises are less expensive you do get people who aren't seasoned cruisers and many haven't cruised before. They might not dress appropriately, but as long as people are polite- they can wear whatever they want in my book.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I have noticed that when cruises are less expensive you do get people who aren't seasoned cruisers and many haven't cruised before. They might not dress appropriately, but as long as people are polite- they can wear whatever they want in my book.

True. Unfortunately a lot weren't polite. On Super bowl Sunday we decided to watch the half time show. We found 2 loungers unoccupied. We sat down. About 10-15 min. later this guy came up out of nowhere & said to my partner "Get the hell out of my chair". Needless to say I was up in a heartbeat & standing toe to toe. Within seconds the language on both sides were up to the f-words. I've had issues with "chair hogs", but this guy took the cake. I then asked the couple next to us if the guy had been sitting there. They said yes!. These 2 idiots could have prevented this entire argument by letting us know the chair had been occupied. The guy had actually asked them to let anyone know that the chair was taken. Apologies around, the 3 of us yelled at the couple for their inaction. They said they didn't want to get involved. Really! Perhaps if they get into a bad accident & no one helps or assists them, they'll react in a different way.

I would 100% agree that the steaks we had in the Caribbean Princess in November were definitely USDA Select and not Choice nor Prime.

My New York was only 1 inch thick, tough but full of gristle. (Similar to a steak you'd receive at Denny's)

I then requested a filet (The most tender of all steaks) but it was also somewhat tough and lacked the fat content that either a Choice or Prime cut would have.

We typically buy Costco's USDA choice beef and I can say they are much better than what's being served in the Crown Grill during our visit.

I went to the Crown Grill twice on my last cruise and you are right the steaks are not that good.

Tony

I went to the Crown Grill twice on my last cruise and you are right the steaks are not that good.

Tony

I buy over $250K a year in steaks mostly from Restaurant Depot & a fair amount from Costco as well as Us Foods/Sysco. You get pretty good at telling the quality. I rated the steaks in Sabatini's/Crown Grill to be select at best. Any more than $25 up charge & I'd feel I wasn't getting a good deal.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and perspective, so I'm not going to pick apart your review. I do have to refute one statement, though; Princess prides itself on all food being made from scratch, so no, Sysco does not supply the desserts. The pp per day food budget comparisons among the cruise lines have been posted online here before, and Princess's is one of the higher budgets of the mainstream cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and perspective, so I'm not going to pick apart your review. I do have to refute one statement, though; Princess prides itself on all food being made from scratch, so no, Sysco does not supply the desserts. The pp per day food budget comparisons among the cruise lines have been posted online here before, and Princess's is one of the higher budgets of the mainstream cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Made from scratch? Really? How do you explain the Sysco truck I've seen loading supplies onto The Regal? If you think that food for nearly 4000 pax is made from scratch on a daily basis, then I think you have NO idea about food service. The ingredients for most ships menus come from companies like Sysco/US Foods & many others. Yes, I think I'll go to the local grocer & buy 10000LB of Salmon etc etc etc. The food quality of Princess is higher than RCCL/Carnival/NCL. Though certainly not higher than Cunard/Celebrity/HAL. As to the cheese cakes..We use the same brand & they come from Sysco/US Foods. It's a decent quality, but NOT made from scratch. Most dessert ingredients on cruise ships come from large food purveyors. In some cases to keep a certain standard the entire dessert(Cheese cake)may come from quality food companies. The "Mousse" used(frequently overused)in many of the desserts is bought in bulk.

Made from scratch? Really? How do you explain the Sysco truck I've seen loading supplies onto The Regal?

I explain it easily:

Flour to make cakes, breads, rolls, pizza from scratch.

Eggs to make ice cream and cakes from scratch.

etc.

Of course there will be many other supplies from Sysco, ranging from paper napkins to bottled olive oil. (That's right, Princess does not make olive oil from fresh olives on board.)