Caribbean Ports with free access to beach?

szymon

Hey there,

We are a family of five going for a two week (back to back) cruise on the Adventure of the Seas at the end of March/beginning of April. I was wondering if there is a list somewhere of Royal Caribbean destinations where it is possible to access a free or less expensive beach from the ports. For example, a beach within walking distance, or a short bus or cab ride, which works out cheaper than paying RCI for their "beach delivery service". I have searched through the forums but I've not been able to find such a list.

I know that some people will say this is penny pinching, but the cost works out to something like £80-£100 for our family of five for each destination, which is an awful lot when all added up and we'd prefer to spend the money on one or two "proper" excursions and do cheap beaches if possible at the others.

The list of destinations we will be visiting over the two weeks is:

ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I.

BASSETERRE, ST KITTS & NEVIS

PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN

ROSEAU, DOMINICA

BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS

SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, ST. THOMAS

ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I.

ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA

CASTRIES, ST. LUCIA

ST. GEORGE'S, GRENADA

(San Juan is where the cruises start and end, but we will have a whole day there during the changeover for our back to back).

What knowledge does the CC collectively have from their own experiences? Any suggestions welcome!

Many thanks,

-simon

St. Croix has a beach within walking distance from the ship. There is no entance fee, but it does cost a few dollars extra if you want loungers and/or an umbrella.

I think you will find most beaches charge for loungers and umbrellas. Most often we pay around $20 for two loungers and one umbrella.

St. Croix has a beach within walking distance from the ship. There is no entance fee, but it does cost a few dollars extra if you want loungers and/or an umbrella.

I think you will find most beaches charge for loungers and umbrellas. Most often we pay around $20 for two loungers and one umbrella.

Thank you for that. We're happy to pay for loungers and umbrella and so on, there's a world of difference between that and £100 per port :-)

Anyone else have suggestions for the other ports on the list?

We did the adventure cruise last August and all the beaches were free, except the Boatyard in Barbados. However, that beach is technically free, but you can't sit in front of the boatyard and have to find a different entrance.

We took cabs to each beach and never paid for any of Royal's excursions. You just leave the ship for the day and ask a local cab driver to take your family to a beach, it'll usually cost you around $7/person each way, which could still be fairly expensive, but the actual beach was free. I spend the majority of the day in the water and when I get out I like to dry out in the sun, so I never paid for an umbrella, and the "free" one I got at the boatyard, I didn't use. I also brought towels and we were fine sitting in the sand with those. However our friends who traveled with us got umbrellas at every beach because they burn easily and I think it cost them an extra $20 at every beach. So, to answer your question, most beaches require a taxi ride, but all the beaches are free. St Maarten has a beach close to te port, but the water taxi to get to it costs $7 per person. You can walk to it, but if you have small children they will likely whine the whole way. We traveled with friends who had small children and the 5 year old slowed us up a lot. It was hot and a long walk and unless your kids are used to that, you'll probably be hailing a taxi halfway through your walk.

there is no charge to the beach in town in St Marteen. You can get 2 loungers, an umbrella and a bucket of drinks for about $25

At St. Maarten I'd recommend Orient Beach - it's a taxi ride away on the Eastern side of the island but it's a big, nice beach. Similarly you can rent loungers and umbrellas.

In St. Thomas I'd recommend Magen's Bay. It's $4.00 to access the beach since it's a territorial park, but it's gorgeous with calm water. Same thing here with renting loungers and umbrellas.

This really sounds like a spectacular itinerary. I'm considering this exact B2B Spring Break 2018 assuming the AoS is still going out of SJ. I think you'll have a great time!

I've been to all of these ports, so I'll answer your direct question about beaches to the best of my recollection, and also add in a few other tidbits as I think of them. I do recommend you check out the Port Of Call boards for each of these islands though, lots of good info about each specific place. See below:

ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I. There is a beach within walking distance, a very short walk directly from the pier. Basically just exit the pier, turn left, walk past the fort, and you're there. There's another close by beach which many claim is better (more facilities and water sports). I'm guessing you could walk the distance, but I have no idea how safe the walk is with sidewalks. Would be a short cab ride though. Check the St. Croix board, there's a local (Drake) who is great about helping people with answers)

BASSETERRE, ST KITTS & NEVIS Nothing within walking distance, but some really great beaches on the island. Best thing to do is figure out what you're looking for (snorkeling, sandy beach, jet skis, etc) and find the one that best suits your needs. Cab prices will vary, but shouldn't be too high regardless of the beach you choose.

PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN Great bay beach is right next to the pier. You can walk there (we do) or take a quick and cheap water taxi. I'm pretty "meh" on this beach. Lots to do, lots of facilities, lots of bars, but there are so many better beaches on the island. Prices are flat per person to get to various beaches, and are posted at the port taxi stand. I would probably invest a bit and get to a better beach, but you can make it a game-day decision based on price and how everyone is feeling. Note that this island is where the famous Maho Beach is right next to the airport, where the big planes fly a couple dozen feet over the beach to land on the runway. Maho isn't the best beach (kinda rocky in spots) but the novelty of the airport might make it worth a trip.

ROSEAU, DOMINICA No great beaches anywhere on the island, at least not in the traditional sense. Mostly black sand beaches and mostly rocky with no facilities. The beauty of Dominica lies in the interior. I strongly recommend doing a tour here takes you to some of the better sites like Ti Tou Gorge, Hot Springs baths, various waterfalls, etc)

BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS - The Boat Yard is probably your best bet. There's a cover charge, but the facilities available are worth it and perfect for kids. Short cab ride over and decently priced buckets of banks beer

SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO Closest beaches aren't worth visiting. If you havent' been before, I'd spend the day visiting Old San Juan, there is a lot to do there. If you have done that, maybe take a day trip to El Yunke rainforest. If you must do a beach, Luquillo Beach is about 45 minutes away.

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, ST. THOMAS Nothing within walking distance, but the open air taxi trucks are reasonably priced. Lots of good beaches on this island, just pick one and enjoy the day. Transportation is very easy to all the major beaches.

ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I. - See above

ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA 365 beaches to choose from, I've only been to one and it was a cab ride away. I don't think there's anything within walking distance, but don't quote me on that. Best to check the port of call boards if no one else has better info here. I would possibly consider an island tour here. They can be had cheap ($20-$30pp) and include stops at various sites and a couple hours of beach time. Sometimes the island tour isn't much more expensive than just a cab ride to the beach.

CASTRIES, ST. LUCIA No beaches within walking distance. Beaches here are all public, but many beaches have the access guarded very tightly by resorts, meaning some are only accessible via the water. Some operators offer a water taxi to/from Jalouisie beach, which is what I would recommend. There are closer beaches, I'm not sure of cab prices.

ST. GEORGE'S, GRENADA There's a cheap water taxi to a decent beach. You can see it from the ship, but it's not really walking distance because you have to go around a huge harbor that goes inland. It's probably a 10 minute car ride if that gives you an idea. The water taxi will get you there in about 5 minutes. Nice beach and water, lots of shade under trees.

As mentioned, loungers/umbrellas will cost maybe $20 at each place.

In St. Thomas, the safari van to Magans Bay is only a few dollars per person and there is a small admission fee to this spectacular beach.

in St. Maarten, for like 20$ cab fee, you can go to Le Galion Beach, which is free. Chairs cost a few $ and there is a beach restaurant.

• 10 months later...
This really sounds like a spectacular itinerary. I'm considering this exact B2B Spring Break 2018 assuming the AoS is still going out of SJ. I think you'll have a great time!

I've been to all of these ports, so I'll answer your direct question about beaches to the best of my recollection, and also add in a few other tidbits as I think of them. I do recommend you check out the Port Of Call boards for each of these islands though, lots of good info about each specific place. See below:

As mentioned, loungers/umbrellas will cost maybe $20 at each place.

Glad I found this post, answers a lot of my questions.

A few thoughts:

Might I suggest that you look at the Ports of Call section on CC for each of these ports? You'll find detailed information on the beaches, taxi fares, etc.

Google "beaches [name of port]" and you'll get a lot of good information. Many of the islands have websites similar to this one listing all of the beaches: http://www.barbados.org/beaches.htm

Consider renting a car. We've rented on many of the islands as we enjoy DIY excursions. Depending on where you are going, it can be as cheap as taxi rides.

In St. Thomas, the safari van to Magans Bay is only a few dollars per person and there is a small admission fee to this spectacular beach.

To elaborate, it is at least $8.00 or $9.00 (depends where you dock) per person each way for the safari-style open air cab. There will be many cabs going specifically to Magen's Bay - easy to find out the port exit.

Dominica is not known for its beaches. That is one island that it would be worth it to pay for a tour of the island. Dominica reminds me of Maui. Antigua might also be a good island tour destination. There is so much more to see on these islands than just beaches. I also suggest you go to the Ports of Call boards and check out the info for each island on your itinerary. You'll get so much more detailed info there.

You guys are awesome -- many thanks!

One of the beaches on the list in red has pollution concerns. That's Great Bay beach in St. Maarten. You can walk 15 minutes to town and take a $2 bus ride to Maho beach to see the planes land right over the beach. In one direction you can walk to Simpson Bay beach within 15 minutes and the other direction you will find Mullet Bay beach in less than 20 minutes away so Maho is a good choice if you want to visit two beaches while in port.

Also there are beach bars that let you use chairs and umbrellas for free if you by drinks so that's something to consider as well.

Also when we are on a land vacation and beach hop we sometimes bring a heavy plastic felt backed table cloth and lay our beach towels on it instead of renting chairs and umbrellas and we bring a cooler bag with cold drinks. There are ports and beaches with grocery stores nearby so you could do that as well to save some money.

Edited by Karysa

What you need is a guidebook! Libraries have them...won't cost a penny! Most beaches are "public", although you usually will have to "rent" loungers and umbrellas, if you don't want to sit on a towel on the sand.

There are some hotels that will offer their facilities for a fee...not usually needed, tho. A guidebook will point to you the right beach for your family. Many have restrooms and food/drink nearby....

Get a guidebook...it's worth it's weight in the money you'll save by doing things like beaches on your own!

What you need is a guidebook! Libraries have them...won't cost a penny!

A guidebook will point to you the right beach for your family.

Get a guidebook...it's worth it's weight in the money you'll save

....or join the rest of the real world and use the internet. Anything and more that can be found in a "guidebook" can be found from the comfort and ease of your home on line! Especially as the OP indicated there are multiple islands being considered - that could be a lot of "guidebooks". :rolleyes:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

For Barbados research Folkestone Beach - -http://www.barbadospocketguide.com/barbados-attractions/beaches-and-bays/west-coast-beaches/folkestone-beach.html

It is on the west side. There is a nearby bus stop. It has facilities and children's playground plus plenty of shade. Sun is on the beach, but the rest of the park area is shaded.