No more silver boxes

eastwoodboy

Not exactly helpful for those who book direct with Silversea and do not have or wish to use a TA, and there are still a large number of them.

I am sure that Silversea would print it out for them or a friend would do so.

I just don't see this being an issue these days.

Keith

the electronic documents are sent as pdfs. That would save me a step since I take all the documents relevant to our trips and scan them to pdfs which I can then send to our Kindles. That keeps them available for reference with taking the paperwork along as hard copies.

Edited by Portolan

We opted out of the silver box and luggage tags years ago, so we're okay with this development. It probably saves a heap of money but, more importantly, there's less waste ending up in landfill.

Although this initiative is doubtless borne from financial considerations from Silversea's perspective, from our perspective, the ethics of cruising continue to test us.

Interesting. I don't ever remember seeing an option to opt out of the silver box. Was that something through your TA or directly with Silversea?

Good Morning Brimary - At least you will not have to worry too much about the Luggage Tags needing to stand up to the rigours of Air Travel for the 27th June Sailing on the Wind !!!!!. Looking forward to seeing you again at Tower Bridge.

I don't care too much about the Silver Box as it always caused problems with the Postman - however yet another example of ' Dumbing Down '.

Good to hear from you,our departure date is turning from a booking to reality.At the last count luggage tags for SS over 100agree re Silver Box,Look forward to meeting up in June.

If you book directly with Silversea, then they are your TA. Do you really think they would refuse to assist a computer-less person wishing to book with them?

Actually SS are not your TA, they are a supplier. A TA provides services on behalf of a supplier.

As I understand it SS still require the completion of the Passenger Information Form (whether paper or electronically) prior to ticket issuance and it would seem to make sense to have an option included for delivery of tickets whether electronically or by snail mail.

Regarding the Silver Box, ours came on Saturday, and we still look forward to its arrival.

And its more reliable than SS email, looking back the last marketing or otherwise email either of us received from SS was in January 2015.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Interesting. I don't ever remember seeing an option to opt out of the silver box. Was that something through your TA or directly with Silversea?

Through our TA. We opted out of the silver box initially and our TA mailed the paper tickets. I think it helps that we live in Australia. International postage from the US (where our TA is based) would cost quite a bit.

Now I think about it, we didn't get tickets at all last cruise because we left Australia on a pre-cruise holiday before our paper tickets arrived. We had no problems with boarding.

Through our TA. We opted out of the silver box initially and our TA mailed the paper tickets. I think it helps that we live in Australia. International postage from the US (where our TA is based) would cost quite a bit.

Now I think about it, we didn't get tickets at all last cruise because we left Australia on a pre-cruise holiday before our paper tickets arrived. We had no problems with boarding.

I guess I could ask our TA not to send us the Silver Box but I'm not sure that would mean she was just not sending it on to us or if she could actually stop Silversea from generating it in the first place. Generating the box and mailing it outside the US may provide a whole different set of options.

I do remember the first time back in 2005 when we got our first set of electronic documents (e-docs) for our one and only Celebrity cruise. Didn't bother us much but the response here on Cruise Critic was everything from acceptance to outrage as more and more lines moved in that direction. Ten years later e-docs are pretty much the universal norm for bigger lines and while still not universally loved most passengers have found ways to view, print, or somehow get their documents and even luggage tags.

No silver box for our forthcoming TA in April but a 94 page email attachment with our tickets (page 3 and Itinerary page 7) the rest appears to be excursions, destination information and blank pages for notes. Certainly not worth downloading and printing the whole 94 pages.

Hmmm...Brimary and Mayflower1, see you @ Tower Bridge!

Great news look forward to meeting up yet again.Hope you are both keeping well and currently enjoying the world cruise.Enjoying the reports from you,Mysty and others on board.Enjoy.

No silver box for our forthcoming TA in April but a 94 page email attachment with our tickets (page 3 and Itinerary page 7) the rest appears to be excursions, destination information and blank pages for notes. Certainly not worth downloading and printing the whole 94 pages.

Looking forward to the TA...maybe its time to start a thread?

We received our paper silver box today had Travel Journal . It had our what they called a ticket in it and it says to bring to bring it to dock. Pre printed paper luggage tags you staple on your luggage. Two plastic tags with our name on them and two metal cable to attach to luggage

There is nothing to print off the site. We have our old tags they used to send.

I our case that is fine for us, Long as the service. food, and ship amenities stay the same. And now free internet.

Now just waiting for the upgrade like last time We hope

Steve and Linda

Actually the paper luggage tags have a removable backing. Remove the last backing section on opposite ends of the tag and they'll stick together. No stapler required though certainly that would work too.

Actually the paper luggage tags have a removable backing. Remove the last backing section on opposite ends of the tag and they'll stick together. No stapler required though certainly that would work too.

Better safe than sorry,

Better safe than sorry,

Understand but I have to say we've done very well with just pealing the backs off and sticking them together. Of course the tags are the very last thing we put on our luggage before leaving the hotel to go to the cruise terminal. Even then we check each bag before the porter takes them away. I have to admit the first time I saw Silversea paper luggage tags I was a bit concerned but they've held up well.

Edited by Randyk47

My silverbox arrived by courier last week for our April 13th departure!

Cant say I'd miss it if they stopped printing them, though the luggage tags are still necessary and I do rather like the steel luggage tag holder that came with it!

But the tags are PERSONALIZED...:-)

What tags are you referring? We have 2 of those steel rings, 2 plastic credit card style card that YOU write on..... Then some sticky paper labels (from memory) that you have to fill out yourself!

Have we been robbed? lol

My Silversea SILVER box arrived today for my 3/31 sailing. I LOVE the bag tags. We first got a set on our January voyage. They are much more functional then the pleather version.

Counting the days (23) until we board the beautiful Spirit again :)

Edited by KaraokeQueen