Smoking Issue on the Caribbean Princess

cruzysuzy

Well, DH and I just notified TPTB for the third time this week that the folks in the next room were smoking. Not that we saw them lighting up but that the smell was traveling to our room (forward/port). I ignored the smell on the balcony on embarkation, thinking that it may have floated up from the docks but time at sea disproved that theory.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? It appears that the CB staff was ineffective in the long run. The smell would stop for about a day to a day and a half and then start up again.

I think I might kick it upstairs.

Well, DH and I just notified TPTB for the third time this week that the folks in the next room were smoking. Not that we saw them lighting up but that the smell was traveling to our room (forward/port). I ignored the smell on the balcony on embarkation, thinking that it may have floated up from the docks but time at sea disproved that theory.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? It appears that the CB staff was ineffective in the long run. The smell would stop for about a day to a day and a half and then start up again.

That is terrible and very unpleasant.

Can you tell me who is TPTB. Don't they have smoke detectors in all the cabins so they can tell if someone in smoking in there cabin? I think the cruise line has a $250.00 fine for that.

Tony

Nothing would ruin my cruise more than that! We just got off the Emerald this week. I too can smell that smoke a mile away. We too got a whif of smoke from our balcony too. (We had an aft facing one.) I was going to talk to passengers services but when we walked the promenade deck the next day, found that there was a smoking station on the starboard side- just about aft! I could smell it all the way around to the port side! So, I figured this was where my smoke was coming from.

Sorry you too are having issues. If your cruise is just starting, by all means, go higher! No one should be smoking in their rooms or balconies! Could your room steward help determine you have the right room pegged?

I have been led to believe the ventilation systems for the various cabins are for a group on them and not individual which would mean the smoke can get picked up and distributed. We have allergy problems and cigarette smoke makes it worse so we would not be happy. We were glad when they ended smoking on the balcony as we often had to close our sliding door quickly to keep it out of the room. I was under the impression there was a hefty fine for smoking in the cabins but like many Princess rules they are not enforced but merely suggestions. I feel sorry for the pax that will occupy that cabin next.

Keep notes. Go to the Captain's Circle Host and let them know that you've received no response to notifications of smoking nearby. Give him or her as much of the who, how, what, where and when you've observed. Let them know you plan to report it to Corporate if nothing is done. Your cabin steward probably has a good idea who is the culprit.

Interestingly we had the same problem on the Emerald last week in the cabin next door to us. It started with them smoking on the balcony. I reported it to the PSD & they immediately took down their cabin number & sent an officer up to the cabin to give them a warning.

The next morning the smoke was pouring out of their cabin vent so I reported it again & again they sent an officer to the cabin to check it out.

I talked to the our cabin steward & he told me that he had warned them since he had smelled it in their bathroom. He was cleaning their room at the time & just standing at the doorway you could smell the odor in the their room. An officer arrived carrying a burned pillow from their room & told me that they could no longer deny it since they had evidence & that the $250 fine was being put on their account.

The problem then stopped. :)

It seems that Princess doesn't fine someone for the first 2 offences since they might not know the rules but are only given warnings and the fine of $250 is then applied for every offence after that.

Last night was our last night so I didn't have the opportunity to report to the Captain Circle's host but I do plan to take it to corporate.

In the hall there was a smokey smell in front of only two rooms - ours and the one next door so I believe that narrows it down to the culprit. I, too, thought a smoke detector would catch it but obviously not.

TPTB - the powers that be.

Last night was our last night so I didn't have the opportunity to report to the Captain Circle's host but I do plan to take it to corporate.

In the hall there was a smokey smell in front of only two rooms - ours and the one next door so I believe that narrows it down to the culprit. I, too, thought a smoke detector would catch it but obviously not.

TPTB - the powers that be.

Since the Caribbean Princess has the doors with vents at the bottom it's almost impossible to hide the smoke smell from entering the hallway which is used as an air return. It should be evident to spot the smokey cabin by just walking nearby. The passenger service desk should take immediate action so don't wait for the Cape Circle host to report it. Remember it'll take a few reports before they fine them the $250 per occurrence.

The passenger service desk should take immediate action so don't wait for the Cape Circle host to report it.

Pam did not suggest going to the Captain's Circle Host to report smoking. Her advice to Go to the Captain's Circle Host and let them know that you've received no response to notifications of smoking nearby is well taken.

We have experienced tobacco smoke on our balcony and reported it to Customer Service with no response. Next time I'll report it, then if there's no response, I'll take it to the Circle Host.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Pam did not suggest going to the Captain's Circle Host to report smoking. Her advice to Go to the Captain's Circle Host and let them know that you've received no response to notifications of smoking nearby is well taken.

We have experienced tobacco smoke on our balcony and reported it to Customer Service with no response. Next time I'll report it, then if there's no response, I'll take it to the Circle Host.

The only times I've reported it was this past cruise on the Emerald to the PSD & they couldn't call it in any faster. They took down the info of the location & my cabin number and at the same time they were dialing the phone to call someone to report it. Balcony smoke is a little hard to pinpoint unless your directly next door and especially at night.

We had a balcony cabin on the Royal Princess and on embarkation day I looked down, and on the balcony below I saw a man smoking and then flicking is ashes over the side onto the top of the lifeboats. :eek:

All I could think of was the possibility of being at sea and this idiot starting a fire either in his cabin or the lifeboat. I immediately called the front desk and they said they would look after it. Well, if they did investigate, it didn't do much good as the next day I witness him doing it again. So I called the front desk again and told them this was the second time I was reporting this issue. They assured me they would look after it. I never saw the man smoking on the balcony again.

The only times I've reported it was this past cruise on the Emerald to the PSD & they couldn't call it in any faster.

That's the kind of response one would expect; I have not experienced that when I've reported smoking. Pam's suggestion to bring it to the Circle Host makes sense in the absence of a proper response.

We had a balcony cabin on the Royal Princess and on embarkation day I looked down, and on the balcony below I saw a man smoking and then flicking is ashes over the side onto the top of the lifeboats. :eek:

All I could think of was the possibility of being at sea and this idiot starting a fire either in his cabin or the lifeboat. I immediately called the front desk and they said they would look after it. Well, if they did investigate, it didn't do much good as the next day I witness him doing it again. So I called the front desk again and told them this was the second time I was reporting this issue. They assured me they would look after it. I never saw the man smoking on the balcony again.

If you see them and you have a camera handy, snap a picture. There are a myriad of reasons that smoking is no longer allowed on balconies or stateroom. Every person who sails with Princess should be well aware of the policy. If the policy does not work for them, then they may want to look into other options.

That's the kind of response one would expect; I have not experienced that when I've reported smoking. Pam's suggestion to bring it to the Circle Host makes sense in the absence of a proper response.

So u r going to wait around for when the host is there and take notes, why should we have to be police...if there is no proper response call and ask for the Captain;):D

L:)ri

But I do like the photo idea.

Edited by land lover

There's no way that the Capt Circle host could possible do much about the situation. First of all she's only there at very limited hours & I seriously doubt if it falls under her job functions. Even if it did the people smoking would be long gone by that time and standing in line at her desk waiting to give a report just isn't going to work. If nothing had been done I would have stood on my balcony chair & pointed my camera over the top of the partition to take a video of the situation. ;)

Post # 9 reported that a burnt pillow was removed from a cabin by a ship's officer and that a $250.00 fine would be added to their account.

In my humble opinion a burnt pillow is way past a $250.00 fine. That is a frog hair away from a ship's fire. The passengers in that cabin should have been put off the ship for safety of all the other passengers.

Bob

Try a different line. Flame me if you wish but business is bad out there. Noticed Cruise line ads on TV? Too many berths built resulting in a very affordable vacation for folks who have never traveled yet cruised.They are smokers and the crowd who wants jeans for the formal dinner.Rules are for the other guy.

This is the kind of thing that would make me crazy. Just crazy. (I was going to say "set my hair on fire," but perhaps that is not a good turn of phrase in this case.)

I think after only ONE ineffectual report I would insist my room be changed.

And frankly, I'd like a piece of that $250 - if they are not going to CHARGE the culprit, the least they could do (after they change my room) is give ME the equivalent of on board credit.

I travel with people that are VERY sensitive to smoke. I assure them the policy is very strict BEFORE they agreed to Princess Cruises. I can not have my relatives having an asthma attack because Princess will not enforce this important rule.

Maddle

Try a different line. Flame me if you wish but business is bad out there. Noticed Cruise line ads on TV? Too many berths built resulting in a very affordable vacation for folks who have never traveled yet cruised.They are smokers and the crowd who wants jeans for the formal dinner.Rules are for the other guy.

Why should I have to change lines? Almost all of the lines have smoking bans in place - let the offender find a line that can accomodate HIM/HER.

Or - are you suggesting another line would be more strict about enforcement?

Maddle

I believe that Pam must have found that reporting to Captain's Circle Host is quite effective, as she has recommended this at times previously, in other circumstances.

I agree that she said to do this if there was no adequate response from Customer Services.

I also like the camera idea!