Riveria Noro, Is 25% enough?

RJB

roger b...."To me this is a breakdown in management which would not of happened before the Norwegian take over.

Small is beautiful !!! "

My thoughts as well, but I wonder why we have not recently seen any NCL ships with the Noro problem.

Any ship can be struck with NV, May be NCL ships have a better management Team.

Due to the way that the first outbreak was handled and the missmanagemet of the company ,all subsequent cruises were affected some more than others.

Between 18/12 /15 and now I would like to bet all voyages were affected remember that it does not have be reported unless the outbreak reaches 2%.

The NV was lingering on board during all this period and then struck again on the last cruise.

The paying public has been badly treated on many fronts and it is time for Oceania to put their hands up and reimbuse everyone affected .

Greed is Good !!!

On our recent back to back (Riveria 2/2 - 2/22) we discovered a very probable means on cross infecting passengers and crew being carried on by Oceania. We informed the staff and immediately the situation was corrected. What we discovered was the staff was "requiring" passengers to hand over their cards upon entering or leaving the ship.

This situation could possibly cross infect everyone. This was brought to the attention of the Coneierge on the evening of Feb 13 and he agreed with me and said he would call security. We noticed immediately the next day when leaving for Grand Turk passengers had to scan their own cards.

Because of this failure on Oceanias part to provide protection to me as a passenger by exposing me to potential health hazards the compensation being offered is inadequate.

If not them than who else?

The passengers themselves?

I hope you are never in hospital when it gets a noro outbreak.

We were/are considering Oceania Cruises. I may reconsider. Not because of Noro (which can happen anywhere with lots of people in one place), but because having read some threads on these boards if anything goes wrong, not even lines fault, people want compo compo compo..Or that is not enough compo.

Well said! Unfortunately, too many expect "compo" for anything that goes wrong.

I guess this is a good place for passengers to vent but it is unlikely that they will receive a penny more than they already have. IMO, Oceania gave the 50% (25% + 25%) because the cruise was cut two days short - not because of the Norovirus outbreak. Oceania contained the illness and no one can ever prove if it started with one of the 3 crew members that were ill (note: it did not spread to any other crew members) or whether one of the 125 passengers were to blame.

For the sake of interest, the following cruise lines had Norovirus last year:

NCL - 1

HAL - 2

Princess - 3

RCCL - 2

Celebrity - 2

Oceania - 2

In 2016 there has been an outbreak on both Princess and Oceania. It was mentioned somewhere on a current "noro" thread that cruise lines with a lot of children (like Carnival) rarely get this virus. That is something that should be researched further. Do they have immunity?

I guess this is a good place for passengers to vent but it is unlikely that they will receive a penny more than they already have. IMO, Oceania gave the 50% (25% + 25%) because the cruise was cut two days short - not because of the Norovirus outbreak. Oceania contained the illness and no one can ever prove if it started with one of the 3 crew members that were ill (note: it did not spread to any other crew members) or whether one of the 125 passengers were to blame.

NCL - 1

HAL - 2

Princess - 3

RCCL - 2

Celebrity - 2

Oceania - 2

In 2016 there has been an outbreak on both Princess and Oceania. It was mentioned somewhere on a current "noro" thread that cruise lines with a lot of children (like Carnival) rarely get this virus. That is something that should be researched further. Do they have immunity?

But NCL has 14 ships, HAL has 14, Princess has 17, X has 10 and O has ...5

My wife and I were on the cruise which ended on 12 February. After more than 20 cruises on many different cruise lines, with no virus outbreaks I suppose the odds caught up with us and my wife was one of the passengers affected. Needless to say, our holiday was ruined. We are not interested in compensation from Oceania (although it was not offered to us).

With so many recent Riviera cruises being affected, I think the source of the problem is obvious.

We will vote with our feet (or rather, our wallet!) and future cruises will not include any Oceania ship.

But NCL has 14 ships, HAL has 14, Princess has 17, X has 10 and O has ...5

Numbers can be skewed any way that you want. Actually, NCHL has 22 ships (including NCL, Oceania and Regent - all under same management), HAL and Princess are the same company and Royal Caribbean also has more ships under different names.

It is understandable that some people will not return to Oceania but that does not guarantee that they will not be on a ship with Norovirus in the future. And, Oceania's reputation will remain intact. This reminds me of a ship that failed the health inspection twice within 3 years (failed it in a way that would make some people afraid to sail on her). Although the failure of the health inspection was clearly the fault of the cruise line, compensation was not given to anyone (meaning to people that were booked to go on the ship and wanted to cancel due to the deplorable conditions). Anyway, the ship still sails full (depending upon itinerary), the cruise line seems to be doing fine and most people don't even think about it any more (and this was something covered by multiple television stations at the time).

This too shall pass!

Edited by Travelcat2

NCL - 1

HAL - 2

Princess - 3

RCCL - 2

Celebrity - 2

Oceania - 2

People here are asking for compensation for many issues that were caused by the cruise line. Why you keep trying to say that this is 100% the fault of the passengers, it certainly is not and it also is impossible to state that anyone is 100% responsible. Both the cruise line and some passengers contributed to the mess. There are specific instances of the cruise line NOT following specife required protocols therefore compensation is very much due the passengers and significantly more than the paltry 25% offered.

Yes 25% NOT 50% as you incorrectly calculate. In no way can percentages be additive as you are trying to do to make a point. You have often stated that you are NOT good at math. This claim of 50% is a prime example. No body believes your 50% claim and no matter how many times you say it, it is not and cannot be correct.

Give the 50% a break as it is absolutely completely mathematically incorrect!!! Also accept that there is more than sufficient evidence that the cruise line is at least partially at fault for the continued outbreak.

Edited by tommiroke

This was our eighth cruise on Oceania and fourth on Riviera, which has been my favorite ship. Although I understand Noro can occur on any ship, and some of the passengers certainly contributed to the problem by refusing to comply with the quarantine rules, I think Oceania let us down and I doubt we will return to Oceania in the short-term, if ever. Oceania knew there was Noro on the prior cruise and didn't inform us until we were almost in transit. Oceania assured us that they would use special cleaning measures to prevent a recurrence--obviously this was a sham as they did not allow sufficient time and Noro recurred immediately after we sailed. However, and most importantly, the senior representatives of Oceania, the Captain and General Manager, completely abdicated their responsibility to us. In a crisis, the most important was to address concerns is by providing accurate information to those affected as fully and promptly as possible. This never happened. Neither the captain nor general manager ever appeared in public. The captain made a few rote and uninformative announcements on the PA system, then went radio silent for several days, and then announced the termination of the cruise. The general manager never spoke at all. At no time were the passengers informed as to how many were sick or what chemical cleaning agents were being used. Passengers were required to use hand sanitizer constantly without being informed whether the sanitizer provided any protection against the disease. Crew members wearing gauze masks and rubber gloves were constantly circulating through the ship, wiping ever surface with a chlorine solution. The last several days were like being trapped in an indoor swimming pool for 72 hours as we couldn't find any spot on board where we were not assaulted with the chlorine smell. In this atmosphere, rumors ran rampant, especially after the entire ship was quarantined for two hours in St. Martin. As the staff worked to exhaustion on cleaning duties, passenger service took second place and slid below acceptable levels. I don't fault the crew, and the cruise director was constantly available and did her best, but with no senior leadership whatsoever it was an unsatisfactory situation. Finally we were bundled off the ship into busses, the sick and healthy jumbled together after being forced to stand in long lines to disembark, and transported to hotels. At our hotel, at least, we were offered an open buffet breakfast (no preventative measures at all) of mediocre to poor food and misled about arrangements for transportation to the airport.

Fortunately, my wife and I escaped the illness. If we had fallen ill, I doubt I would consider the 25% refund at all sufficient. The 25% credit, which must be used in a year, is worthless to us as I doubt we will ever do a winter cruise again and certainly not on Oceania in the next 12 months.

All in all, we are left with deep disappointment and bitterness.

6. we never noticed any CDC personnel on shore or on Rivera after we boarded. They may have been there but we never saw them.

I do not even know what they look like we did have them onboard in 2011 ..did I see them maybe or maybe not but I do know they were onboard

After 65 Cruise nights on O, how can I persuade myself to trust them again?

I have maybe double that count but still made a choice to book again after getting Noro in May

It is only a decision you can make for yourself

JMO

The captain made a few rote and uninformative announcements on the PA system, then went radio silent for several days, and then announced the termination of the cruise. The general manager never spoke at all. At no time were the passengers informed ...

The last several days were like being trapped in an indoor swimming pool for 72 hours as we couldn't find any spot on board where we were not assaulted with the chlorine smell.

At our hotel, at least, we were offered an open buffet breakfast (no preventative measures at all) of mediocre to poor food

You nailed it saying "trapped in an indoor swimming pool"!

What hotel did you end up at? What type of category cabin did you have?

I am wondering how they assigned hotels. I was in a PH and ended up at the Trump Doral. Breakfast was very good. It was a buffet and not as many options as ship but I would say same or near same quality. Much nicer room than Terrace. Trump was nice 4 star hotel, but no water views and nothing to do near by except golf or pool. Some passengers ended up down town, for me a more desirable location. Some were closer to airport. They had to come up with 600 rooms quickly and I was ok with mine.

I agree with you the O communication was absent, to the point of being deceiving. They announced 3%, then 2%, then no more details. They could have been forthcoming with the details, now I don't trust them.

I am wondering how they assigned hotels. I was in a PH and ended up at the Trump Doral. Breakfast was very good. It was a buffet and not as many options as ship but I would say same or near same quality. Much nicer room than Terrace. Trump was nice 4 star hotel, but no water views and nothing to do near by except golf or pool. Some passengers ended up down town, for me a more desirable location. Some were closer to airport. They had to come up with 600 rooms quickly and I was ok with mine.

I agree with you the O communication was absent, to the point of being deceiving. They announced 3%, then 2%, then no more details. They could have been forthcoming with the details, now I don't trust them.

You know the old saying, different strokes, etc. My BW would have liked the Doral and played golf for a few days, but I wanted to go home. I guess i won. Came home sat. evening and was very happy to be here. Oceania did their best with the hotels as it was getting maybe 500 rooms in a few days. Kudos to them for that.

We were at the same hotel as legaleaglegreen. It was The Pullman at the airport. We both had similar staterooms. They in a CC and we in a Cat. B.

The hotel had very large updated and modern rooms. The bathroom remained a little dated. However, it was great having more space after being in the cramped stateroom bathroom. The view was very nice of the water. We thought the breakfast buffet was good as far as buffets go. Very nice set up for the cruisers.;) We especially enjoyed being able to chat together each morning with those we met onboard. Had no trouble getting to the airport, although the transportation was free through the Pullman and not set up by Oceania.

My husband also wishes we had stayed at the Doral property. He is a golfer. We, however, took a great tour of the city.

As for the number of rooms that were booked, I think the number was probably closer to 400. There were many, many passengers onboard that lived in Florida and had driven to the port. No need for hotel rooms unless they just wanted to stay in a hotel room in Miami. :D I will give Oceania credit for sorting that out in a short amount of time. UNLESS, they had planned to cut our cruise short all along and did not tell us until 2 days prior. :rolleyes:

"At least 200 students at a central Ohio public university have reported symptoms of the highly contagious norovirus, school officials said on Wednesday. Reports of the outbreak at Miami University started last Tuesday when five students came into a school health center at the Oxford, Ohio, main campus, located about 35 miles (56 km) north of Cincinnati, complaining of stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting, a university spokeswoman said.

Since the initial reports, a number of students have tested positive for norovirus, said the spokeswoman, Carole Johnson.

"We have been very diligent in our cleaning and are using products that combat the virus in our residential and dining halls," she said. A small number of the students have gone to a local hospital since the outbreak for dehydration symptoms, she said.

Norovirus is the most common cause of food-borne disease outbreaks in the United States. Infections usually occur in places such as hospitals, cruise ships and universities, where people eat and live in close quarters.

The university, which has a population of nearly 20,000 students, faculty and staff, has not been able to identify the initial source of the virus. Communications from the university recommend students wash their hands with soap and water as antiseptic gels and wipes are ineffective in killing the virus.

Norovirus is the most common cause of food-borne disease outbreaks in the United States. Infections usually occur in places such as hospitals, cruise ships and universities, where people eat and live in close quarters.

The university, which has a population of nearly 20,000 students, faculty and staff, has not been able to identify the initial source of the virus. Communications from the university recommend students wash their hands with soap and water as antiseptic gels and wipes are ineffective in killing the virus.

During the last several months, outbreaks of norovirus have been reported at restaurants in Kansas and Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc restaurants across the United States. The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services reported a norovirus outbreak affecting more than 100 students at the University of Michigan last week.

Norovirus affects about 19 million to 21 million people in the United States each year, causing between 570 to 800 related deaths, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (Editing by Ben Klayman and Matthew Lewis)"

We were at the same hotel as legaleaglegreen. It was The Pullman at the airport. We both had similar staterooms. They in a CC and we in a Cat. B.

The hotel had very large updated and modern rooms. The bathroom remained a little dated. However, it was great having more space after being in the cramped stateroom bathroom. The view was very nice of the water. We thought the breakfast buffet was good as far as buffets go. Very nice set up for the cruisers.;) We especially enjoyed being able to chat together each morning with those we met onboard. Had no trouble getting to the airport, although the transportation was free through the Pullman and not set up by Oceania.

My husband also wishes we had stayed at the Doral property. He is a golfer. We, however, took a great tour of the city.

As for the number of rooms that were booked, I think the number was probably closer to 400. There were many, many passengers onboard that lived in Florida and had driven to the port. No need for hotel rooms unless they just wanted to stay in a hotel room in Miami. :D I will give Oceania credit for sorting that out in a short amount of time. UNLESS, they had planned to cut our cruise short all along and did not tell us until 2 days prior. :rolleyes:

In one way, it may have been better to stay a couple of nights at a hotel. That way, should someone come down with symptoms, they have not introduced the virus into their homes.

You should read the report for your cruise. It was the CDC that recommended cutting the cruise short.

:D I will give Oceania credit for sorting that out in a short amount of time. UNLESS, they had planned to cut our cruise short all along and did not tell us until 2 days prior. :rolleyes:

Were they hatching up this scheme on a grassy knoll, pray tell??

Edited by buggins0402

In one way, it may have been better to stay a couple of nights at a hotel. That way, should someone come down with symptoms, they have not introduced the virus into their homes.

You should read the report for your cruise. It was the CDC that recommended cutting the cruise short.

Yes, of course the CDC was involved, and I have been reading the reports.

Consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in Miami, FL, including: ◦sailing back to Miami, FL early to complete multiple sanitation barriers prior to the next voyage,

But what we don't know is when the recommendation to cut the cruise short was made. Could have been the 16th. ;)

Also noted in the report was:

•◦planning staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests, and

Yet, there were sick passengers mixed in on the buses. :rolleyes:

OK, you've asked, so I am stepping off both of the Noro threads I have no desire to enter into a disagreement with posters that were not on our cruise and that have no idea what we went through.

I have planning to do for my next 4 booked cruises.

Edited by Iamthesea

As a point of clarification, the CDC report does not indicate whether or not the CDC recommended the ship be brought back to Miami early. Below is a copy/paste from the report regarding that part of the puzzle:

"Actions: In response to the outbreak, Oceania Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:

Consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in Miami, FL, including:

sailing back to Miami, FL early to complete multiple sanitation barriers prior to the next voyage,

planning staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests, and

planning for sanitation of terminal and transport infection control procedures."

While it is entirely possible the CDC made that recommendation or even directed that action, the report only states that Oceania Consulted with them over the actions.

Edited by tommiroke

"At least 200 students at a central Ohio public university have reported symptoms of the highly contagious norovirus, school officials said on Wednesday. Reports of the outbreak at Miami University started last Tuesday when five students came into a school health center at the Oxford, Ohio, main campus, located about 35 miles (56 km) north of Cincinnati, complaining of stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting, a university spokeswoman said.

Since the initial reports, a number of students have tested positive for norovirus, said the spokeswoman, Carole Johnson.

"We have been very diligent in our cleaning and are using products that combat the virus in our residential and dining halls," she said. A small number of the students have gone to a local hospital since the outbreak for dehydration symptoms, she said.

During the last several months, outbreaks of norovirus have been reported at restaurants in Kansas and Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc restaurants across the United States. The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services reported a norovirus outbreak affecting more than 100 students at the University of Michigan last week.

I did read several states had outbreaks in the past few weeks

Maybe someone flying in from Michigan, Cincinnati or Pennsylvania

are the carrier ..they could have got it at the airport on a plane etc..

Just more to add to the conspiracy theory files ;)

Edited by LHT28

I did read several states had outbreaks in the past few weeks

Maybe someone flying in from Michigan, Cincinnati or Pennsylvania

are the carrier ..they could have got it at the airport on a plane etc..

Just more to add to the conspiracy theory files ;)

OMG, feel free to blame it all on legaleaglegreen and me. :)

Six of one, half a dozen of another. We could also have picked up the bug at the hotel and then brought it home. Sometimes no matter what you do you need to be lucky. We are fine so we did the right thing for us. No clear choice here.

Edited by RJB

OMG, feel free to blame it all on legaleaglegreen and me. :)

Seriously :eek:

Just do some research

http://www.newsmax.com/US/norovirus-symptoms-ohio-university/2016/02/24/id/715907/

http://www.belmarrahealth.com/norovirus-2016-stomach-flu-outbreak-caused-more-than-200-illnesses-at-a-pennsylvania-college/

https://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2016/norovirus-outbreak-at-university-of-michigan/

https://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2016/whats-with-norovirus-in-overland-park/

Anyone who may have had the virus & decided they want to fly to Florida or any hub where others may haved changed planes could have picked up the virus

We know how they clean & disinfect the planes during turnaround

The virus can live for many hours on surfaces & you may not feel sick at all

Edited by LHT28

Seriously :eek:

Just do some research

http://www.newsmax.com/US/norovirus-symptoms-ohio-university/2016/02/24/id/715907/

http://www.belmarrahealth.com/norovirus-2016-stomach-flu-outbreak-caused-more-than-200-illnesses-at-a-pennsylvania-college/

https://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2016/norovirus-outbreak-at-university-of-michigan/

https://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2016/whats-with-norovirus-in-overland-park/

Anyone who may have had the virus & decided they want to fly to Florida or any hub where others may haved changed planes could have picked up the virus

We know how they clean & disinfect the planes during turnaround

The virus can live for many hours on surfaces & you may not feel sick at all

So what do you suggest? Close the Florida airports, close all the hotels in Miami? Did you want Oceania to keep everyone on the ship for another 3 days? Tell us what you think we should do?

What we are going to do is take precautions (as I indicated on one of the "noro" threads). Now that we know that the CDC has recommendations for products to use that actually kill the virus, it makes sense to use these products wherever applicable. In the past we have wiped down airplane tray tables, arm rests and other hard surfaces with Clorox wipes, we'll now use the wipes recommended by the CDC (one is also made by Clorox). When we board a ship, we'll spray surfaces and wipe down handles, telephones, remote controls, etc. If there is an outbreak of gastroenteritis, we may do this multiple times. If not, we'll do it once.

Obviously this is not something that we want to do but will do if it helps prevent us from catching a virus.

One thing that I recommend that you do not do - under any circumstances is spray the air flow area on a plane. Someone did this once (actually, someone that works in the movie industry that most of us know) sprayed some disinfectant into the air conditioning vent -- people in the cockpit smelled a "chemical" and landed the plane at the next airport.