All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

On 3/4/2019 at 11:29 PM, Sailor_Sally said:

I am loving every chapter of your adventure !

Thank you, Sally!

Day 7 – Olduvai Gorge and the Serengeti

Up early, again, we had a long drive to our next location, the tented camp in the southern Serengeti. We had a couple stops planned along the way to break it up. “Serengeti” refers to both the grassy plains ecosystem that stretches from northern Tanzania into Kenya and is famous for the Great Migration, and also to Serengeti National Park (SNP), whose boundaries within the Serengeti ecosystem are limited to a smaller area. Where SNP meets the border with Kenya, it is contiguous with the Maasai Mara National Preserve.  While animals can cross the border there at will, it is logistically very difficult for people to do so.

So, as we traveled northwest, we were passing through the part of the Serengeti ecosystem (not SNP) within the Ngorongoro Crater Preserve. By the way, there are more craters than just Ngorongoro, like this one:

https://www.takimsholidays.com/blog/empakaai-crater-ngorongoro-highlands-tanzania

The first part of our drive retraced our steps up to the crater, but instead of going to the entrance, we turned left onto the road that leads to SNP. After leaving the crater area it was very pastoral, and we saw giraffes, zebras, warthogs, and gazelles along the way, along with Maasai villages, herdsmen with their cattle, and children.

IMG_1189b.JPG.b2253aebe192791f029a1e00eec428e3.JPG

IMG_1165b.JPG.a5af127beb80313b48bd47f0f0461f7d.JPG

Mid-morning we arrived at Olduvai Gorge.

https://www.livescience.com/40455-olduvai-gorge.html

IMG_1169b.JPG.99b3f0e7ae706e650cfa636177ef206d.JPG

IMG_6361b.JPG.56d210dad009935474fb7e78325e1625.JPG

We sat in a small open-air but covered amphitheater where a scientist gave a short talk about the history of the discoveries at Olduvai Gorge and the work of the Leakeys. I found it very moving to be in a place where history stretches back so far it’s hard to imagine, and you feel the great age of things. 

We were excited to be in an area of such great scientific discovery. We spent about half an hour looking at the museum exhibits, which were very well-designed.

IMG_1168b.JPG.138e404c16ca1ce60108b544b19a9022.JPG

IMG_1186b.JPG.1e31a70cc9d18b3da48cf1a99a3a0a08.JPG

IMG_1185b.JPG.3772e0b1600adaed861de6a386f60d26.JPG

IMG_6357b.JPG.0dfc267c72dbe6a847d4c098e22aa0fe.JPG

IMG_6355b.JPG.894770e88782d7991ac3006757cb4f3e.JPG

We ate our lunch in the picnic area at the museum. The flowering plants and bushes nearby attracted the many colorful birds and geckos.

IMG_1174b.JPG.df44c711ce5c86ac8401468ea293f4f9.JPG

After lunch we were joined by one of the museum interns, who happened to be Maasai, and he guided us to the Shifting Sands.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/shifting-sand-dunes-olduvai-gorge

It is a pile of volcanic ash that is magnetically charged and sticks together. The wind blows it and moves the ash approximately 50 ft each year. The Maasai place a marker each year so you can see the path it has traveled.  If you pick some up and let it go, it immediately rejoins the pile again. We were in nerd heaven.

IMG_6365b.JPG.285b8bcf185b4931c2a60fe26249a239.JPG

IMG_1183b.JPG.94140af5a45389d03d6245d77645baad.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you Sharon. 🙂

So... Laurie is busy with wedding plans, Melody is buried in snow, we just finished having some rooms painted which is almost as much work as moving... Anita is in London. It's a bit quiet around here! My cruise is in 13 days and I am not ready!! Shocking, I know.

Day 7 - Olduvai and the Serengeti, continued

When we moved out of the crater area and the gorge area into the plains, we began to see evidence of the Great Migration, with zebras and wildebeests and buffaloes in groups or lines in constant forward motion together.  It also started to be much hotter.  As we neared Lake Ndutu and our tented camp, we saw our first cheetah! She was resting near a clump of bushes, and if you look closely at the upper left corner of the picture, you can see the spots of the sleeping cub she was protecting. Isn't she a beautiful mom?

IMG_1206b.JPG.41a59061cdab966d63160b5e3bddbd3d.JPG

We also saw more tiny dik-diks and lots of birds, like this vulture and some storks.

IMG_1216b.JPG.de65726ae5f28c88aa793dfa6abda664.JPG

IMG_1218b.JPG.78fd23694612de4a966fdda6e9996e7a.JPG

When we arrived at Serengeti Explorer camp, we learned that we were the only guests. Boy were we treated like kings. The camp had one tent set up as a lobby with couches and tables and desks.

IMG_1219b.JPG.e1e001fc79b50e27d46b918d03099928.JPG

Another tent was the dining room (you can see that the table is only set for 2). Each day the waiter would tell us the menu and ask what we wanted. We could choose between three appetizers, two main courses, and three desserts, plus wine or beer if we wanted. It turned out that Chef had trained at one of the big lodges, and the food was absolutely delicious. It is amazing what they can accomplish with wood fires and solar power.

IMG_1225b.JPG.588bc5410f1b9ab0570d84fa37958bdb.JPG

Our tent was the first one, next to the dining tent, so we had a beautiful view of the lake from our front “porch.” We faced west, so we enjoyed beautiful sunsets each evening.

IMG_1222b.JPG.14f43c4ec77878dc899660f78f00e9aa.JPG

IMG_1221b.JPG.e3cb82eb618a44144145c2b0707eab55.JPG

The camp is a mobile Camp, meaning they pack it all up and move it to follow the Great Migration twice a year. We were in its southern site, and now in March they will move to their northern location to follow the animals. Then in the fall they will pack it up and bring it back here to Lake Ndutu again. We felt like the only people on the lake, it was so private, but in fact the lake is ringed with other camps like ours, though they are hard to see because they blend into the environment so well. We learned that at Lake Ndutu there is only one permanent camp and one permanent lodge (which is very old and pre-dates all the rules). All the rest are mobile like ours.

When we booked last year, this camp was one where we knew there would be no laundry and no wifi, so we planned ahead to have laundry done and email checked before we got here. We didn't know that it had changed hands last fall, and the new company it was now affiliated with had recently added laundry and limited wifi services. It didn't really matter as we didn't need either, but it is a good reminder to go through all the details again before departure.

One of the things I had asked Amos to see was a dung beetle rolling its ball of dung. If you have seen the Ice Age movies, the dung beetles are hilarious. Here at Ndutu he was able to oblige.

IMG_1195b.JPG.c2024f3790279022855ec2371619ee65.JPG

Later we were laughing about stopping for the photo because there were dung beetles everywhere at the camp. We could hear them flying all night, buzzing around and hitting the tent canvas. I wore my earbuds to sleep because there were all kinds of noises from outside that kept me awake at first.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

Love both the dresses Margaret!  We’re expecting more snow this week. The mountains have been buried, not us. I’ve been laid flat with a double ear infection (since last Tuesday) finally feeling able to sit up today. Melody 

Cute dresses and continuing to enjoy your pictures.

Our daughter had her final school musical performance this weekend so we were busy with it (son helped with stage crew this year).  Next weekend we go back to Indiana for admitted students weekend.

Our church observes a literal 40 day fast (compared to traditional Ash Wednesday to Easter), and this year I'm fasting from Cruise Critic.  I'll miss all of your insights, and hope to return after Easter.

• Like 1

Margaret, those dresses are perfect for you.  The blue one is a pretty color, and I think the styling is unique and fresh.  I can see you wearing that dress readily.

The second dress is dressy, and fun.  I love the fringe at the bottom!  Like you, I love lace.

It is interesting, because I do tend to lean towards classic styling, but I am always looking for something that adds a little something.  I think that is why I love jewelry so much. 

I'm very curious about Africa, and the type of food you had at meal times?  I loved how they had those tents set up.  I wonder how much of it was a way to address tourists, and how much of it resembles the norm?  I ask earnestly, as I honestly don't know.  I'm so intrigued by your trip.

I think that beetle is...big.  🙂  Me and bugs don't exactly get along well, lol.  It's really cool to see the picture, but I think I'd be squirming and jumping all the time if I saw one of those in real life!

That tent where you had dinner is so cool. 

Margaret...I am SO enjoying reading about Africa. DS and I drove home from Orlando yesterday...one topic of conversation was the idea of a trip to Africa. DH wants to do Kilimanjaro so badly. But beyond that...just going to Africa would be an amazing adventure...as your report clearly shows. DH's birthday is Jan 1, so DS and I were talking about the idea of going so that DH could spend his birthday in Africa.

DS is already half way there, well he will be, when he is in London. So maybe we could go from there. IDK. I need to read back through your report to see if you talked about how to decide when to go. DS and I were guessing that you were missing the wet season with your timing. It's difficult for us to imagine how things can go with DS in London, but our family in general is wanting to take advantage of that fact...and the trimester system he has which gives us at least 4 weeks between each term.

So obviously...we're back from London. I debated waiting until you were done with your report Margaret, because I don't want to be disrespectful and have competing reports going on...but I ultimately decided that I will start talking about my trip to London...because YOU, Margaret, aren't getting to enjoy reading anything fun and new and exciting. Not that my trip to London will necessarily be exciting!! But it will be new and hopefully, fun to read about.

I need to get some photos in order. I didn't take too many...and many are them are of food! I'll get my thoughts in order and start sharing.

I can share this...DH and I found our new Orlando home. It's a newer build apt complex. I'm very excited because the complex is very resort like. Our focus will be health and fitness and we were looking for a home that would support that goal. I've really enjoyed the walkability of our current downtown loft, and I wanted to find a place that would have some walkability. It might be more accurate to say that I wanted a complex or community that would let me WALK away from my home and find something to do, something active, in a setting that I would enjoy and might also have places that I could enjoy without having to pay anything. My ideal would have been a library...but a nice clubhouse or community pool area would work. A fitness center would be a major bonus. And that's what we found.

We have lake access and lake side patio, hanging out space. A great pool with outdoor grills and wonderful pool side seating and other community areas. A great clubhouse. A really good fitness area. Really good. There's a yoga/fitness studio that has on demand fitness. It's a great system where there is a huge television mounted on the wall and there's a control panel that functions like a menu with literally 100s if not a 1000 classes that you can stream on demand. Organized by category, there's yoga, dance fitness, strength training, cycling, stretching...all sorts of classes. I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

We got a large apt. Once DS is off to uni (as they say across the pond), we'll have the guest room available. Just sayin'.

• Like 2

If you’re following weather on Colrado, yes we’re buried!  Hurricane force winds, sustained at 115mph for past hour. 8-18” of snow (depending on drifts) so far, expecting snow to continue 12-24 more hours. DIL had to abandon her 4wheel drive 2 blocks from house because of drifts but made it home. Power in & out. Do love a good storm, but hate the wind.  We’re safe in house with wood burning fireplace, oil lamps, candles & lots of flashlights & blankets. I should’ve been on a cruise this week!!!  Melody

Our trip to London began with 615 mile road trip to Orlando. With DH working and living there during the week, it made sense for us to take the nonstop flight from MCO to London. I had originally thought that DH might stay in Orlando and DS and I would somehow go down there and meet up with him. We would have a long weekend in Orlando for the first half of DS's Spring Break, maybe do a bit of house hunting...see some sites.

DS was invited to one his close friends birthday parties on that first Saturday of Spring Break though... That snowballed into the idea that DH would come home and we would then just all road trip down to Orlando. DH would need to have a work wardrobe ready to go for after we returned from London...so it all just made sense to pack his work wardrobe up and leave it in the car while we traveled to London.

So Monday...bright and early...you know, before NOON...we hit the road for Orlando.

I'm hoarding our Marriott points for the drop off DS in London trip in September, so looking for the best, most cost effective...and potential for fun Marriott affiliate in Orlando for Monday night...I landed on the Fairfield Inn & Suites on Apopka Vineland Road. There is a cheaper one in the vicinity, closer to the freeway...and I was concerned after reading about how awful the freeway noise was...so I went with the slightly more expensive Fairfield. Our room was fantastic for us 3. "Suite with bunkbeds" DS was basically in a cubicle like room with a not to the ceiling privacy wall (no door) with bunkbeds and his own tv. We had a king. Everyone had a real bed!

After checking in around 8 pm...we headed out to what I have always known as Downtown Disney.

Which doesn't exist any longer.

We're driving the approximate one mile to our destination...Wolfgang Puck Express...and suddenly, where there used to be these huge flat parking lots, there is a 5 story parking garage. The LIME garage.

The landmarks I used to know to identify Downtown Disney were obscured by this huge structure...and what is this Disney SPRINGS? Did they open a new hotel by DTD?

How out of touch am I with what has been happening with the Mouse?

Disney Springs is what used to be Downtown Disney which used to be Disney's Paradise Island. Those were the days...pay admission to the 21+ years of age Disney club scene...jello shots and test tube shots in the ice buckets of the "street venders"...and a plethora of beers and wines on ice in the street. The Manikin Dance Club with the revolving floor...

But I digress.

All the construction is basically done...and the big middle void that was behind temporary walls and signing apologizing for the mess has become a shopping MECCA with high end and specialty stores...as well as so many food choices. And water features everywhere shimmering with loose change...

Such a fun place!

We headed straight to Wolfgang Puck Express and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner...and were slightly disappointed to learn that the creme brûlée is no longer on the menu. Ah well...luckily there was an amazing Gelato vender somewhere else in that maze of consumerism...and we happily donated our dessert dollars to partake of Pistachio and Coconut Gelato...for my part. DH had Pistachio and Salted Caramel. DS had Black Cherry and Pistachio.

We hit up the Basin store...which I love. After debating with DS whether or not "bath bombs" would be allowed on the plane...not because of their name but because apparently youngsters do something with the powder to get high?...I picked out my 3 favorite scents in the small size...and grabbed another mineral salt stone (deodorant) and left for our hotel home super happy.

https://basin.com

IMG-2447.jpg

IMG-2446.jpg

IMG-2445.jpg

I don't like using the tub in DS's bath room...and my bathroom doesn't have a tub. I'm a bath person, so I've been feeling quite deprived of my favorite bathing method since moving to North Carolina. I claimed the first use of the tub/shower in the hotel room and indulged in the Florida Sunshine bath bomb.

Word of warning to any that use it...the color is also released into the water...it isn't staining...but the lovely orangish color of the Florida Sunshine is reduced to a weird yellow glow in the bath. So...you end up in yellowish water...which is...well...not visually attractive.

(I realize bath bomb pictures aren't the most interesting but this is the first time I am posting pictures that I can recall in this new format...I'm going to run a test on these photos to see how much control I can maintain on my photos. Expect them to disappear when I delete them from the original site...OR are them now embedded forever in this post through some sort of attachment and embedding. I want to know before I share more photos.)

Tuesday morning we went to the apartment complex...found that it was everything it was cracked up to be and decided to sign a lease.

Then we headed back to Disney Springs for lunch. We ate at Morimoto's restaurant.

You need to like Asian...obviously. We ordered two sushi rolls to share. And we each ordered the duck ramen, which was excellent and very filling. The broth was rich. Highly recommend if you like ramen and duck!!

We popped into the Uniqlo store...curious to see the brand now sponsoring Roger Federer. Mom says that Uniqlo is mentioned on the Vivienne Files? I haven't read that in forever. We felt like Uniqlo was the Ikea of clothing stores...in a good way. I found a fabulous long shirt, which I purchased in "Olive" which is a very, very warm, muted gray:

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women-linen-blend-short-sleeve-long-shirt-417748.html?dwvar_417748_color=COL31&cgid=women-shirts-and-blouses#start=15&cgid=women-shirts-and-blouses

The in store manikin was wearing the shirt buttoned from neck to waist and then open below the waist over shorts! Very fun look. I'm always on the look out for something to wear over my tank tops and this seemed the perfect thing.

We headed back to Gelato land for more tasty goodness. I had Coffee and Irish Whisky. YUM.

I'm so very excited that our new apt is less than 30 minutes to Disney Springs. I think DH and I can enjoy many a date night there.

With DH's loyalty status with Marriott, we were able to get the late check out of 4 pm. Very helpful with an 8:00 pm international overnight flight. Back to the hotel to shower and change into overnight flight appropriate clothing...and then head out to MCO.

WOW Melody! I remember dealing with one particularly awful storm when we lived in Loveland and I had to drive home from Longmont. I can easily imagine the situation with your DIL. Glad she got home safe! I will agree with you...would've been a good week to be on a cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

WOW Melody! I remember dealing with one particularly awful storm when we lived in Loveland and I had to drive home from Longmont. I can easily imagine the situation with your DIL. Glad she got home safe! I will agree with you...would've been a good week to be on a cruise!

Our daughter’s SO runs 22 plow trucks (he’s a commercial landscaper). He pulled his crews off the road due to visibility (after he pulled DILs Pathfinder out of the drift & towed her into her driveway). Good guy.  he’ll put his crews out when visibility clears (likely early, early tomorrow morning). All airports & highways are closed. Nice & quiet. Melody

Anita your time at Disney sounds great, I didn’t know about Disney Spring either. Melody 

On 3/11/2019 at 8:35 PM, laurspag said:

The second dress is dressy, and fun.  I love the fringe at the bottom!  Like you, I love lace.

Laurie, that's feathers, not fringe. 🙂  I love it! It is so Dramatic Classic, right up my alley.

I'm very curious about Africa, and the type of food you had at meal times?  I loved how they had those tents set up.  I wonder how much of it was a way to address tourists, and how much of it resembles the norm?  🙂

Our food was definitely tailored to a western clientele. We mostly ate chicken and beef.  We asked for no pork, but because dinner was served family style, it did appear on the table a few times. I  would eat it so that Mark could have the other dish. I do remember having salmon at one of the lodges, and sometimes there was lamb on the menu. Occasionally an Asian dish with rice or a curry. Sometimes a vegan entree.  Bread was hit or miss, either very good or terrible. Breakfast included omelettes, eggs, bacon, pancakes, yogurt, cereal, you name it. All the fruits and vegetables were very fresh and tasty. They served french press coffee which was amazingly good. I have been trying to make it at home but it doesn't taste the same. In other words, we did not eat like Tanzanians. Definitely tourist fare. In our case, very delicious tourist fare!

As for the tented camps, that too is for the safari tourists. There are also campsites if you want to do tent camping like you would do in the national parks here. Tanzanians live in houses of stone or wood, or maybe apartments in the bigger cities. They do have a very different standard of living than we do here, and I am not in any way saying that life is bad for the people there (though there is poverty, just like in America), it is just VERY different. And of course the Maasai who live in the villages have traditional Maasai huts. 

Anita, I was surprised by Disney Springs too. We never made it there because we were in the parks until very late. How nice that it is so close to where you will live. Your new place sounds amazing. I am in agreement about having places to walk from your home. As a city girl, I always miss that the most when I am in a car culture place.

I'm jealous of your bath salts... I haven't been able to get into a bathtub since my fall in December. 😘  I am looking forward to the hot tub on the ship!

Cute shirt!

Looking forward to some London photos. I'm wrapping up my semester so the Africa posts are a slow go right now. SO MANY PICTURES. omg

Melody... stay warm and safe. DH has a friend in town from Boulder and they did not get to go home today, all the flights were cancelled.

My cruise is in 10 days! On disembarkation day we are meeting my sister's family at Adventure Island. Does anyone have water park advice for me? It's my first one. I'm ditching the 4 y.o. to go on the big slides!

10 hours ago, MJC said:

Looking forward to some London photos. I'm wrapping up my semester so the Africa posts are a slow go right now. SO MANY PICTURES. omg

My cruise is in 10 days! On disembarkation day we are meeting my sister's family at Adventure Island. Does anyone have water park advice for me? It's my first one. I'm ditching the 4 y.o. to go on the big slides!

Fabulous. So maybe London can give you a breather! I'm so excited for you and your somewhat last minute cruise! I so wish I was going on a cruise...I'm kind of sad that I don't have one on the schedule until next February...but I keep spending our money on the kiddo...*sigh*

The last water park I went to, it was with DH's company...they had rented out the water park for the day. It was early season and the water was actually very cold! My advice, no surprise, would relate to shoes!! You need them. Going to a water park isn't like going to the pool...it's like going to a wet amusement park. You still deal with all the lines, and whatever ground/path there is to get to the top of the ride. Some of the slide rides generally require going up stairs? The concrete can be hot...the stairs can be rough (think texture for grip when wet) so water shoes are very important. And many times, unsecured footwear isn't allowed on the slides (flip flops)...and also, you may not want a sole that is the typical sturdy wet friendly sandal...so you may need water specific shoes. Many will go shoeless...but IDK...I think it depends on your feet and how sensitive they are.

Shade can also come at a premium. So be sure to wear your rash guard (which might be a great idea anyway with the slides) and bring plenty of sunscreen for your lily white legs...which will be more exposed in the water park than in other settings. And think about bringing some portable shade for when you chill out...a big hat or even an umbrella. Seriously.

Look into renting a locker.

Beware the issues with the long slides with swimwear...that is, losing your swimwear...and swim wear riding up on the slides...and water up the nose. Definitely do something to bind your hair. And if you wear contacts, perhaps bring a spare pair, just incase the plunge into the water dislodges one or two.

Also...I wouldn't wear your favorite swim suit. Expect to have a LOT of chlorine in use...so maybe bring some eye drops? Something to soothe your eyes from the sting. 

• Like 1

Our flight to London...

There's a least one direct flight each day between Orlando and London on Delta. Our flight was a Delta flight operated by Virgin Atlantic. The jet was the 747 with an upper and lower deck. The upper deck is often referred to as "the bubble". Our outbound flight was scheduled to leave around 8 PM and arrive just after 9 AM the following day.

Basically, we were NOT too flexible with our scheduling. We were looking to travel during the week of DS's Spring Break. We wanted the nonstop flight...we picked the least expensive combination of days, which turned out to be Tuesday outbound and Sunday return.

The outbound is the overnight flight. Being able to sleep was even more worrisome for our particular trip because we truly needed to hit the ground running on Wednesday because we were there for such a short period of time. That said, because the flight was a Virgin Atlantic flight, we were not able to select our seats at the time of booking. After the purchase we could go to the Virgin Atlantic site to select our seats. This was when we discovered the cost of the bubble.

I think it was a $45 pound per seat upgrade to select a seat in the bubble. The bubble has about 44 seats? The front has limited upper class seats and there are 33 economy seats. There are two toilets at the front of the bubble. We decided that was a good ratio of toilet to people and smaller space and fewer people felt like it would be more conducive to sleep. So we upgraded.

There are video reviews of flying in the bubble out there. I scoured the reviews and determined that the back row seat map was accurate in that, even though those seats have no seats behind them, they recline as much as economy can recline. So we picked the 3 upper alphabet seats in row 79 (the last row that lets the aisle seat have a straight right leg).

So the bubble ceiling is a major curve. The window seat is not immediately adjacent to the side wall and window because of the curve of the wall. There is about a 10-12 inch gap which is filled with a sort of narrow bench-like storage cubby. Press on the lid release and the lid lifts up to reveal a narrow and somewhat shallow, but very handy storage area along that outer wall. Additionally, we had the typical under seat storage. The center seat has some sort of metal box that reduces the underseat storage area...and the aisle seat has seat legs that are indented from the aisle so it's kind of a weird area under there as well, but somewhat conducive to having that aisle seater person's leg be more straight.

The overhead storage is dinky. You can't fit a normal sized carry on. And beware, the Virgin Atlantic carry on dimensions seemed just a bit smaller than Delta. Our typical carry on roller bags were about 2 inches too long because of the way the handle and the prop legs stick out from the bag. Regardless, the overhead bins in the bubble are suitable for smaller items. I'm not sure that an under the seat roller bag would fit. It felt like the bag for up there would need to be soft sided in order to fit.

So there is a storage closet where everyone can put their normal carry on sized luggage. They fit A LOT of luggage in there...so I'm not sure if anyone was left out? And if it filled up, what they would do with your bag? Luckily, we didn't have to deal with that scenario.

After the upper classes of the Virgin Atlantic system board...people needing help, loyalty people, upper class cabin...Virgin Atlantic boards by row, beginning with the higher number rows and working the plane forward. So the bubble rows are the first rows to board during general boarding.

The stairway is narrow with steeper and shallower than average step treads. The bubble stairs are at the back, so our row was the first row you encounter when boarding on the one side.

It was definitely a plus to be in the bubble for the overnight. It's all a crap shoot with who your fellow travelers will be, but the atmosphere in the smaller space with fewer people definitely felt more conducive to sleep. There wasn't a single child in the bubble. Perhaps that was our luck, perhaps the upgrade isn't something that families with young children feel is worth the cost. Regardless, I was grateful because there were MANY families traveling on the flight, going home from touristy Florida. You can imagine.

The incline sucks. It isn't much help at all. The seats are tight. DH, at 6'1" wasn't super comfortable. Virgin Atlantic does provide a blanket...it was VERY good. Surprisingly good. A lightweight FLEECE blanket with a sort of V-shaped neckline so you could tuck the ends of the top of the blanket around your shoulders. And it was long enough to reach my ankles. I'm almost 5'8". They also provide a small square travel pillow. The headrest has head bumpers, which was handy. I wore my nite hood...DS wore an eye mask that DH has received complementary on a different business Delta flight. We all did manage to get some naps in.

For my part...the turbulence would wake me up. It was periodic and that was the issue. I think sleeping in a public environment, my body wouldn't let me go into any sort of deep sleep...shallow sleeping and so the rocking of the plane would rouse me.

Also...the kitchen service area is at the back of the bubble. The noise of the attendants was a bit disruptive. The general kitchen noise and also they talked a bit.

Because of when we were trying to sleep, and actually sleeping, we missed all the food service on the flight.

We had eaten dinner in MCO. There was a taco place that had a build your overstuffed burrito type thing. We did that. It was actually yummy. $31 for three custom burritos. Quite filling and so we were fine with missing the food.

Upon arrival, the attendants empty the carry on closet luggage to the floor of the kitchen area. You grab your bag as you depart. Because we were in the row closest to the stairs, we were the first ones out of the bubble. And because we were so zippy, our family of three was among the first 10 people off the plane!

A few of those people were making connections. The other few hit the EU line for immigration. We were the FIRST ones to hit the non-EU immigration point. So that was the truly amazing part of the bubble for an economy class traveler.

I recommend the bubble. If you have to fly economy...this is a slight step up. Nicer atmosphere. And also, the attendant to passenger ratio was very good. Mixed blessing with the kitchen right there...but it meant fast service. Also...it wasn't a packed house. It's a 3 3 seating. The couple in front of us had an empty middle seat. The guy across from us had the row to himself. The other back row (row 80 is only on one side) was completely empty. You can't get too excited about an empty row though. The arm rests only go up to about a 45 degree angle. It's enough to stretch your legs out but not enough to fully lay out, even if you have the seats all to yourself.

It was a bit odd to have to walk through the upper class to get to the toilet but at the same time...it was really easy to navigate.

And that's my review of the 747 bubble!

• Like 1

Margaret on waterparks (we do waterparks). I wear my Keens, covered toe, water shoe; long sleeved rashguard; & ive actually worn rashguard capris. Have fun & wear a lot of sunscreen. 

Anita fun experience

Our bomb cyclone is over, true experience. Melody

I'm hopeful that all this detail into logistics will be beneficial...

Getting into London from Gatwick...

We flew into Gatwick. DH flew into Heathrow for business...and he said it's basically the same deal.

The National Rail system offers an express from Gatwick to the London Victoria station. (The Heathrow Express goes to a different station, I think.) You can save 10% if you book your train tickets online. If you have a party of 3+, you can save even more with a group discount. Woo hoo!

I was concerned that I would have to pick the train time when I purchased my ticket. The purchase process brings up the different train times and you kind of select one when you make the purchase. The verbiage all reads that you can travel at "anytime" though with some restrictions. What does it all mean?

So we needed a train on March 6 and then a return train on March 10. It's also cheaper to go ahead and get a return ticket at the same time, which is "roundtrip" in American-speak. I picked one of the train times on March 6 and selected the Anytime Return for March 10. There's all this explanation about how flexible these tickets are...so not knowing exactly what to expect, but having a general idea...I booked the train tickets for us three.

I did the eTickets that I could put in my Wallet app. I was the one that ended up with all 3 tickets. I think that I could have let the guys download their own...but it seemed easier to just be the one with the tickets. I think it was too, after the fact.

So I received three train tickets for Gatwick to London Victoria that could be used on March 6 through March 10. On any Gatwick Express train. This lets you deal with any hiccoughs in your travel plans. I also received three train tickets for London Victoria to Gatwick that could be used before April 5. This is the Anytime Return idea. You get some flexibility in your outbound train. You get 30 days to return.

There's a thing called an Oyster Card. Margaret, it's like a MetroCard for the subway. You can use the Oyster Card for ALL London transportation, including the Underground (the Tube), the buses, and apparently, the Gatwick Express and other rail travel. I did see that if you use your Oyster Card on the Gatwick Express, the cost would be about 19 pounds for the one way. With my online discount, group save discount, and return trip discount, we paid 22 pounds each for our train tickets. So I HIGHLY recommend getting your train tickets IN ADVANCE.

About the Oyster Card. I knew about this card and planned to purchase one. The deal is though...there are two types of Oyster Cards. There's the card for the people who LIVE in the UK...and then there's the Visiting Oyster Card. And here's the catch, apparently, you can't purchase the VISITING Oyster Card IN London. You can go online and order it before you ever leave home.

Thankfully, I at least was looking at the information to see what in the world we would do since we were leaving the NEXT day and didn't have time to ship an Oyster Card prior to our departure. There are tourist centers where you can purchase the Visiting Oyster Card. The airports have tourist centers...so pick up your Visiting Oyster Card in the airport before you board the train.

We arrived in the North Terminal. There's a plane train type thing that shuttles between the North and South Terminals. The South Terminal is where the train station is...and also where we found a booth stand thing selling the Visiting Oyster Cards. An eye-catching sign lets you know it's there. I was happy to see it.

We were flying through the airport, being so early off the plane. Flew through immigration. No one waiting at the platform for the shuttle train. Off toward the train station and more importantly the toilets...when I saw the Visiting Oyster Card booth. With NO ONE in a queue. So we stopped and picked up three Visiting Oyster Cards. The cards themselves are 5 pounds each and we loaded the least amount of 20 pounds on to them. I think 30 pounds was the other option.

Oyster Cards never expire. So given our circumstances here with DS going to live in London, I wasn't too concerned with how much I loaded onto the cards.

We hit the toilet and we able to make the 10:12 am Gatwick Express.

Our flight was scheduled to arrive at 9:10 AM. Despite a late departure, I do believe that we arrived fairly close to schedule. There was a significant tailwind and we were expected to make up time in the air. So making that 10:12 AM train on an international arrival...knowing also that we made a stop to purchase the Oyster Cards and hit the loo...thank you Bubble!

The train is 30 minutes travel. 

Now. About the tickets. You have to scan your ticket to get through the turn styles. I scanned and then the guys would each walk through the turn style in turn. I scanned my final ticket and walked through. On the train, when the attendant checks everyone's ticket...I had my Wallet app open and one ticket showing, prepared to swipe away to reveal them all. I informed the attendant that I had all three tickets...and the attendant just looked for the Group Save indication in my ticket type and walked on. No need to swipe and show all 3. Same deal with the scanning for going through the turn styles upon arrival.

NOW. I did feel the pressure of the people behind me upon arrival. And I swiped my ticket too fast on the heels of DS and missed my opportunity to go through the turn style. And then I was stuck because my ticket was no longer valid, as it had been scanned already. Fortunately, there was a train worker there at the turn styles and he sorted the situation...which meant that after he tried each of the three tickets I had again, looked at DH and DS, he swiped his own pass across the reader to let me out through the turn style.

Lesson learned...be sure to let the doors close all the way and then swipe and go, or just be more alert and ready to go through if you can go.

SO. Let's talk about the outfit and the packing for our trip.

I didn't take a travel photo. Ew. Sorry. I'm not feeling so lovely these days and so I skipped the outfit pic. But I can talk about it.

I wore:

My bulkiest shoes...my red Columbia omni-heat boots. Waterproof. Warm. Comfortable.

Compression socks...Sockwell brand wool knee highs.

Stretch knit pants...Kuhl brand straight leg knit pants. A questionable upgrade to typical yoga pants because they have zippered pockets. I say questionable because I think the metal zippers required me to get a pat down. Charcoal texture color.

3/4 sleeve length knit top...very thin fabric. Deep neckline for comfort. Wine color.

Smart wool Vest...fitted gray vest. Thin, but warm, fabric for a vest.

Purple Rain Coat...waterproof.

Scarf...fashion scarf. Rectangle shape. Pattern.

I did not wear the vest, coat, or scarf but had them readily available. I used the scarf on the plane in addition to the blanket. I didn't really need either for warmth. The plane was surprisingly warm. But I pulled up on the scarf to partially shield my face and experiment with the whole idea of using something to help increase the moisture factor of the air I was breathing to help with dehydration. I believe it helped.

I packed in my new Motherlode Weekend Backpack Junior. You've seen me use the full size before...I used it for Alaska. I purchased the junior size. What I packed:

Bottoms:

Jeans

Gray technical pants. I wore them in Alaska, too.

Tops:

Smart wool 1/4 zip

Technical fabric pullover...kind of an overall gray look with black and white texture

Burgundy colored long sleeved

2 tanks for layering under the long sleeves

We were expecting weather that would have scattered showers on most days...highs in the low 50s and lows in the high 30s / low 40s.

I did fine with my wardrobe, but I will say that I WAY overcompensated for the perceived cold. OMG. I never expected to go to London and SWEAT. Wow. All the public areas are HOT. The train was hot. The train station was hot. The underground was hot. The tub itself was hot. Every restaurant and shop and interior space was SO WARM. My base layer, being warmer to begin with was WAY too warm. WAY.

First, London was very humid. Second, the heated spaces were really, really warm. It could be quite windy...and that wind was bone chilling...but as soon as we got back inside, everyone strips out of their layers to something more transitional in nature than wintry in nature. Lots of short sleeves. Or lighter weight looking fabrics. I really missed the mark in my choices.

Because we planned to navigate public transportation, we wanted to pack light. The guys each used a duffle bag for their main luggage. Both carry a business backpack, so they needed something else they could carry. A roller back wouldn't have been horrible, even through the streets of London and on the transportation. And in fact, I saw a lot of roller bags, but our roller bags were just a bit oversized for a European carry on and were bigger than the ones I saw people dealing with on the street. So I think it was a good call to not use our current bags...but the duffles weren't easy.

I was super happy with my junior backpack and my oversized purse.

I think I shared that I purchased an eBag brand travel handbag with patented PacSafe features. It's a huge handbag capable of holding so much. I had plenty of storage for everything I brought on the trip:

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-mother-lode-weekender-convertible-junior/241465?productid=10395044

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/anti-theft-hobo/358329?productid=10651268

I watched a purchased both on flash sales or holiday sales or whatever is was so that I purchased the backpack for $69.99 and the anti-theft handbag for $29.99. (I had $7 reward points to put toward the handbag too...so OOP $22.99).

I highly recommend both bags.

Ok! So we've arrived in London Victoria!

Let's back up a bit...there's free wifi on the Gatwick Express. And it's TRUE free wifi...you consent to whatever you consent to, no signing in with additional information. Our AirBnB owner was gracious enough to allow us to plan on at least dropping off our luggage before official check in, even if we couldn't take full possession. The earliest the owner could meet us was 11:30 AM.

I had originally thought that was very generous...and very early! I didn't anticipate that we would be able to meet that early. But here we were on the 10:12 AM train, seeming to be well able to do so. We had agreed that I would message her from the train. Very handy as the train had the free wifi.

I had selected our AirBnB for the following reasons...

1. Proximity to the Royal Academy of Music. We wanted to live in the area where DS would be living and get to know it as well as we could by spending time there and exploring what was there.

2. Affordability with privacy and a decent sleep option for DS. Budget allowed for a good one bedroom apartment. Most accommodation had a sofa bed for additional sleepers. I picked a convertible couch style bed for DS, thinking that is way more comfortable than a pull out style. Also, I picked accommodation that was NOT an open plan. As it turned out, the living room was a room with a door...so it effectively functioned as a second bedroom. Perfect for us.

3. Proximity to a Tube Station that was on a direct line from London Victoria. I didn't want to have to deal with the time and effort of making any transfers. 

I messaged the owner, saying that we could meet at 11:30 AM if that still worked for her.

I was finally released through the turnstile in London Victoria...and we set our sights on more caffeine for DH, who had managed to be awake enough on the plane to have some coffee...any coffee for DS and I...and FOOD. At least a little something to get us through to dropping off our luggage.

Exit through the turnstiles and make a U-turn to the left...locate Pure.

https://www.pure.co.uk

A perfect stop.

As I would come to understand that many food shops do this...there is a refrigerated display case with freshly made in house cold items. MANY smoothie or thick juice type drinks, ready to go. Muesli type oat cups. Dessert puddings. Fruit. And there are many ready to go hot items behind the counter.

We ordered 3 espresso based drinks...DS and I each had Toasties. DH had a big bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and almond milk. At pure, the toasties are like a cross between a breakfast burrito and a quesadilla. A flat toasted breakfast burrito. DS has the salmon one and I had the super start. We spent around 13 pounds, which converted to over $17, which was still cheaper than our normal Starbucks run.

There were smoothie samples on the counter. One of the berry flavors. YUM. Perfect hit of something sweet with our breakfast.

Pure has free water for all on tap. At the self service bar where there are napkins, etc., there are glasses available or you can fill your own bottle with still or sparkling.

The Pure wifi required a log in. I didn't log in. We headed out around 11:15 or so to the underground side of London Victoria to catch the next tube to our destination.

I highly recommend Pure. Especially the one in London Victoria...as it is a fast grab and go, if needed...or a quick sit to eat and drink. The food is tasty and reasonably priced.

The Visiting Oyster Cards worked as they should...which is to say that you press them to or wave them in front of the detector screen, the green light lights up, and the barriers open so you can walk into the station area. Pay attention to the name of your desired line and follow the arrow directions to get to your line (there are 3 that run through London Victoria) and weave your way around and down to the proper platform (know if you are going northbound or southbound) and wait for a few minutes.

Across the platform, on the wall on the other side of the tracks is a map that shows the stations the tube will travel to. So you can double check that you are indeed going in the right direction to get to your destination station. Here, our platforms were in the middle, so going in the opposite direction was just a matter of turning around and walking to the platform facing the other direction. No need to go up and back down. There are dot matrix scrolling signs hanging above the platform at intervals...all show when they next trains are expected to arrive. 

Mind the gap.

While the rail train had designated storage for larger luggage...similar to what you find in an airport shuttle...the tube has no such accommodation. Be aware. You will also have a limited time to get yourself on and off the tube. It's advisable that you be able to manage all your belongings in one go...that is, be able to carry them all or drag them all at the same time when you get on and off the tube. You will also be entering while others are exiting...so streamlined luggage will be your friend.

Suddenly, we were exiting the tube, making our way up and into the light...waving our Oyster Card to leave the station and out onto the streets of London in the Fitzrovia area. The directions from the owner were great. Off we went, confident that we knew where we were going.

Fortunately, I had been looking at the maps with enough studiousness to recognize that when I saw the sign for a particular underground station up ahead (on a different line), I KNEW we had somehow missed our street. Turn around. Go back. Sure enough...the street was one name in one direction and one name in another direction...UGH. We were late!

Fortunately, our host was very gracious. And we were able to fully take possession of our home for the next 4 nights straight away. This was our first AirBnB. I know that the apartment had not been rented immediately prior to our reservation...and I believe that contributed to us being able to check in earlier than the listed 3 PM.

A note about floor naming in London...

In London, the ground floor is Level 0, or Floor 0. It is the ground floor...the floor that is level with the ground. The one that we Americans usually refer to as the first floor. In London, the FIRST floor is the floor ABOVE the ground floor. Normally referred to as the second floor in the USA... And so on so forth...

We had a bit of a refresh and off we went to check out one of the possible housing accommodation options for DS.

And then it was time for more food.

We were in the Marylebone area. Marylebone High Street is one of those streets with a lot of shops and restaurants.

Through the streets of Marylebone and Fitzrovia and all streets nearby...you find that some streets are slightly more residential than others. For instance, our apartment building didn't have any services and next door were businesses. Across the street was a bar on the ground level...and to get any other food or drink, you'd have to go at least a block in any direction. And in one direction, there would be MANY choices for food and drink, with a few service type shops. Another direction might have more services...a mobile provider (cellular service), a barber, etc., and much less food and drink. And then the streets that have SHOPPING. Clothing and all types of stores mixed in with food and drink. There are MANY such streets...scattered throughout...but they are scattered...linked with the aforementioned type streets.

Walk along Marylebone High and read the posted menus. Look inside and stop when you see something that appeals.

Our first choice was a bust. We had no reservation...and we didn't want to wait 30 minutes.

I understood the name of the restaurant across the street and off we went there. We were seated as soon as the table area was cleared from the previous diners. What is very funny to me...is that when I was lying in bed later that night, trying to sleep, it hit me...we had eaten at this restaurant chain in New York, at the location just south of Central Park.

Le Pain Quotidien

We sat at the communal table on one end.

DS had a beef stew with mashed potatoes:

IMG-2453.jpg

DH had a ham and cheese tart:

IMG-2454.jpg

And I had a beet hummus toastie with baked goat cheese and roasted veg:

IMG-2452.jpg

And more espresso drinks for the guys...

The guys had a creme brûlée dessert...with a shortbread crust. OMG.

The food was excellent. That freshly made with a homemade feel, but more effort than you might do everyday quality kind of food.

And while we were seated...eating...we all realized how very tired we were.

So we walked back to our apartment...turned on the telly and rested for a bit. DH was nodding off, so off to the bed he went for a nap. DS flopped on one side of the couch and napped. I was actually more perky and stayed on other side of the couch...but I too did drift off. I didn't want to fully lay out and sleep, because I was concerned I would sleep too long and then wake up in the middle of the night, unable to get back to sleep. But I figured a nap would be good...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Like 1