All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

The zebra pics are so fab. Back in the day, my family really loved the Madagascar movie...I can SEE how someone could interpret the zebra into the character in that movie.

The lions next to the jeep...wow. DS has been showing me how there are people that are breeding designer cats. Somehow they are mixing big cats with domesticated cats to breed out house cats that look like mini big cats. Little Bengal tigers, etc. I've been looking at all these small but wild looking cats lazying around and pictured, looking like big cats but acting like pets. And there you are in Africa, with the real deal...the big, wild cats still acting like pets. Cats are cats, I suppose. I enjoyed those so much.

I would love nothing more than joining you on that Spring Break cruise Margaret! I could celebrate my birthday on board too...but there's no way DH could take that time off work so soon after our London Spring Break trip, which is just right around the corner.

We'll be driving down to Orlando Sunday/Monday. Our London flight leaves MCO Tuesday night. So one week from today, we'll be boarding our flight! Craziness. I need to check out the weather so I can finalize my travel wardrobe. I'll start with the shoes that will best for touring all around and then go from there for clothing. Does anyone else start with shoes? That's always my first consideration for packing.

I think I may have found a rental for us for moving to Orlando. We've been doing so much research...it's so challenging to visualize DH and I living there and what will be a happy landing spot for the empty nest. My thoughts are along the lines of what will my day be like when DS is in London and DH goes off to work. What will I do? We're going to check out rentals when we are in Orlando before flying out to London. I'm very excited to have a couple days in the warmth before heading out to cooler London...I'm SO, SO, SO sick of the cold weather.

• Like 1

I too, love the smaller ships, Margaret.  I have always chosen late seating, large table. except my first cruise, when we asked for a table of 4.  There were 4 of us, and we had no idea what to expect.  They accommodated with with a table for 4 that first cruise, and on the second cruise, it was the same. 

Almost every time, we have gotten what we requested.  When you ask for a large table, you will likely be seated with 2 or 3 other couples.  I always found it very interesting to learn about others that we were seated with.  There are some cruises where you are always sitting with others, and some people just go to a specialty restaurant or eat in the Windjammer so you don't always know from day to day if everyone will be there.  It all depends.  By choice, we always ask for late seating, large table.

One time, they gave us a table for 2, when we we weren't expecting it.  That was nice too.

Just on one occasion, we were unable to get the late seating so we had My Time Dining.  That wasn't our thing, but I also see why others like it.  We were not always with the same waiters, so you don't develop that relationship.  Also, the times available were in between early and late seating, and it makes it hard with the photos some nights.  We still enjoyed dinner though. 

You continue to amaze me with your pictures.  My daughter just returned from Florida, and she spent one day in Animal Kingdom.  She was showing me the pictures she took, and I was showing her yours.  🙂

We’re actually doing a table for 2 in early seating for our anniversary cruise in September. We’ve always requested a table for 6 & enjoyed the camaraderie. Les has recently said that even with his hearing aids he can’t follow a conversation any longer & it’s just too frustrating for him (he does read lips fairly well). We’ll see...Melody

Anita, we had a neighbor with a Savannah cat, it looked like a little leopard. They would take it for a walk on a long leash on the grounds here so that it could scamper a bit and climb some of the smaller trees. They need tons of exercise... don't know why anyone would have one in an apartment. It was beautiful, though.

Have you thought of teaching Zumba again, Zumba Gold maybe? I know you could design a class that's good for yourself and would benefit others too. I bet a lot of people like me would appreciate a good low impact class. I've had to drop one of mine because it just got too knee-intensive. And my favorite teacher left to be in a Broadway touring show. 😞  When I am Zumba-ready again I will have to rethink where I'm taking it.

Laurie, we visited AK last Christmas in anticipation of our Africa trip. I enjoyed the safari ride there, and it's quite realistic except that there aren't enough animals. 🙂

I'm working on the Lake Manyara episode, coming soon!

Margaret...I've thought about something along those lines. I let my Zumba license go...and I'm not sure that I want to pay to get it again. There's a monthly fee to pay to keep it active or I'd have to pay and go to the licensing class each year. I know the principals of the whole thing...I've been thinking about just doing some "classes" on my own. I was listening to one of our local stations..."We play everything"...and they played a song that had appeared in Dirty Dancing and then another song that had been in another movie. I was thinking how fun it would be to make a class that would follow the principals of Zumba routines but all music would have appeared in a movie. A sort of cinematic dance class.

I went to a Zumba class here...and it was okay. The instructor was good, but it wasn't very dance-y. It was very exercise-y. Like old school aerobics, almost step like moves, but in the Zumba formula. I was thinking how the beauty of Zumba was that it felt like dancing. You could make it more exercise-y...but there are times when you just want to feel like you are dancing an hour away. Fitness is definitely going to be a focus for me...maybe I could do something that share with others. Not sure about music licensing issues for trying to post videos online though.

• Like 1

I do aqua Zumba & aqua barre 3-4 times a week. The aqua barre is my absolute favorite class ever (the instructor is a classically trained retired ballerina). I get so much out of that class. The aqua Zumba is flat out fun!  It is based on movie music (different themes). Let me tell you, boot scootin in the water is hysterical!  The instructor also teaches land Zumba (I haven’t taken those classes). I’ve found that the water definitely reduces the impact on my feet & I can really work up a sweat in the water. Melody

• Like 1

I've never taken an aqua Zumba class. They haven't been offered near me. I'm betting that I can give the class a go in Orlando.

I'm in a dilemma for my London wardrobe. It's my typical dilemma. I'm an activewear wearing kind of girl. And normally, I'm cool with that. But I get a trip like London in my plans and I feel like I should dress differently...more stylish. I feel like I'll go to London and look like a sloppy American. I'm trying to figure out how I can make my activewear more street stylin'.

I could bring jeans. My concern with the jeans is the rain in the forecast. The forecast is looking like highs in the low 50s and lows in the high 30s. IDK how quickly they would dry...and we will be on foot, taking public transport but that only gets you so close to where you are going. I think I'll look up the AirBnB and see if there's a washer/dryer in it.

• Like 1

So there is a washer/dryer combo unit thing in the kitchen in our London AirBnB. As I understand...that particular appliance seems to be the norm. When I first looked up that machine because I thought it was nuts to wash and dry in the same thing...I found out that the drying aspect of the machine really helps to prevent a lot of the mold and mildew problems that these machines are prone to have in my experience. So having the ability to do a load or two of laundry is making me happy.

So four nights...after an overnight flight. Rain expected everyday. And fairly cold weather. And we are planning on touring a lot. Checking things out, as I said.

I find myself amused to think how last spring break we drove all over the midwest going to all the different schools. And it snowed and was so cold for that trip. This London trip should be warmer than that one...but otherwise...same deal. Spring Break touring around for college knowledge in cold weather.

So something that I recently learned about museums in London. The public museums are free. No cost for admission. Private museums may charge admission, but any museum that receives government funding doesn't charge admission. The British Museum is in the vicinity of where we will be...and so I think we may pop in there. I think this is fabulous. You don't feel the need to maximize your visit and see too much in one visit. You can just stop before you tilt with overload. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

So there is a washer/dryer combo unit thing in the kitchen in our London AirBnB. As I understand...that particular appliance seems to be the norm. When I first looked up that machine because I thought it was nuts to wash and dry in the same thing...I found out that the drying aspect of the machine really helps to prevent a lot of the mold and mildew problems that these machines are prone to have in my experience. So having the ability to do a load or two of laundry is making me happy.

So four nights...after an overnight flight. Rain expected everyday. And fairly cold weather. And we are planning on touring a lot. Checking things out, as I said.

I find myself amused to think how last spring break we drove all over the midwest going to all the different schools. And it snowed and was so cold for that trip. This London trip should be warmer than that one...but otherwise...same deal. Spring Break touring around for college knowledge in cold weather.

So something that I recently learned about museums in London. The public museums are free. No cost for admission. Private museums may charge admission, but any museum that receives government funding doesn't charge admission. The British Museum is in the vicinity of where we will be...and so I think we may pop in there. I think this is fabulous. You don't feel the need to maximize your visit and see too much in one visit. You can just stop before you tilt with overload. 

Just be prepared that even a small load will take many hours. Wash in the evening and let dry overnight worked best for us. You are looking at 4-5 hours per load and much longer for jeans and towels.

• Thanks 1

Anita, I find a person's confidence in what they are wearing has more to do with how they come across than what they are actually wearing.  I thought I'd heard (although it was several years ago) that generally the only people wearing jeans overseas are the visiting Americans - I don't know if that is still true, but I would pack what you are comfortable wearing, especially with the weather.

I hadn't heard of the w/d combo before - interesting concept.

Most of the Smithsonian museums are free in the US (I think NY charges) but they did have collection boxes when we visited and food costs were higher there to help supplement costs.  Maybe be prepared for something similar in London.

Have a great trip!  We have an accepted students weekend in 2 weeks - I'm hoping it is much warmer than our last 2 visits, brrr.

Lots of dark jeans in Spain two years ago and lots of scarves . I would stick with black or very dark jeans ,a rain jacket and a scarf. Something very comfortable for the over night flight . I usually wear leggings and a long tunic with a scarf that doubles as a wrap .Planes tend to be chilly .

• Like 1

We don't have a lot of places with pools around here, and I haven't heard of any water Zumba classes being held anywhere.  It sure sounds like a great idea, especially if you have achy joints or arthritis.

Anita, I can't say I've looked to see how people dress in London at the moment, but last I knew of dark jeans, and lots of scarves.  I often find jeans to work out well when the weather is cooler, but seeing that you went to Alaska, I think you will know if leggings are ideal for you or not.  I only wear them to the gym, so I never really give any thought to whether or not I find them warm.

I've seen your pictures of outfits where you've used tunic and tunic dresses with leggings and scarves, and it sounds like it would be ideal.  I look forward to hearing all about it.  I've always been fascinated with Europe. 

Well, my pups had his surgery, and it was a bit more involved than anticipated.  First, he had a compacted tooth which we knew would involve some stitches.  Where the previous vet dropped the piece of tooth, the xrays showed that the only way to get it out safely was to remove the tooth next to it - it landed under the tooth next to it, next to an artery.  We also knew there were a few other teeth that needed to come, because the previous vet stopped after she couldn't retrieve the piece of tooth.

With one of the teeth, he could see it was loose and decided it needed to be removed.  There was a hole in the bone above it and the hole went into his nose.  The vet explained that the tooth had been broken, so an infection formed that went below the gum line, through the root.  When this happens, the white blood cells attack the infection, and so on.

All this caused by a few things: small dogs commonly have dental issues, us not brushing his teeth as much as we should have, and the biggy, in my opinion: Nylabones.  Harvey had a lot of broken teeth.  We let him chew on those for years, and then one day he spit out a big piece of tooth into my hand while he was chewing on one. 

But I am probably telling you more about all that than you want to hear!  But he is home, and steadily getting better.  Love that little boy.

It's currently snowing.  It looks pretty, and it has been a light snow, so the roads are fine and everything is a fresh coat of white.  I may not love driving in it, but it is beautiful to live somewhere with 4 seasons.

I've heard about those washer/dryer combos.  It sounds really interesting.  As you all know, I love laundry so I should probably have a Pinterest board of washers and dryers, lol.  🙂

Laurie, I’m glad they resolved little Harvey’s issues, poor little guy. 

‘’Well, March came in like a lion!  16” of white fluffy stuff (so far) & bitter cold -4 when we went out to snowblow. We need the moisture, wish it came in form of rain!  melody 

Thanks orchestralpal for the warning on the time for a load. My concern is how stinky my activewear might get...and having the option to give them a wash will help me not worry as much. I think of that as the "slick load" because as those clothes are slick fabrics and they tend to dry faster than other types. I wouldn't do more than two loads. One slick and one normal. Overnight was my thought. 

The weather has been improving somewhat. We actually have a sunny day in the forecast! My concern though is the wind! 15-20 mph winds almost every day. Looking at the wind chill that is causing today...wow. Need to be prepared for that. I've been debating wearing my red winter boots...and the debate is over. Definitely wearing them. They are just straight up not street, not stylish...bright red shoes. Combine that with my bright purple raincoat and the guys should always be able to pick me out in a crowd! I think I'll be going for a red to purple spectrum...burgundy and wine, etc.

We're packing today. Prepping home for not being here for a week. Driving to Orlando tomorrow. Looking at an apt on Tuesday morning. Flying out Tuesday night. Looking at uni accommodation options Wednesday. DS is meeting with a professor for a consulting lesson on Friday. Nothing too structured for other times...generally touring the campus and the area. Oh, we'll be stopping by the local electronics store chain. We built the two computing towers we have...it should make it easy to deal with the power supply on the one DS will take to uni. But we're thinking we'll just purchase a monitor there...seems like a better idea than being concerned about shipping one. But we'll see what we learn.

So much to think about!

• Like 1

Laurie, glad your fur baby is doing better.  We had "pretty snow" over the weekend too, and then a bunch of shoveling this morning.  Roads look mostly just wet though and the sun is shining.  I've always liked the 4 distinct seasons, I just wish spring and fall would last longer.

Anita, safe travels and have a great trip!

More entertainment until Anita gets back and tells us about London...

Day 6 – Lake Manyara

Here's an interesting thing about distances that I didn’t understand when I was researching. Kitela Lodge is halfway as the crow flies between Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara, but yesterday's drive was an hour and a half and today's drive was 20 minutes. It’s all about the available roads and the terrain.

https://www.tanzaniatourism.go.tz/destination/manyara-national-park

IMG_6324b.JPG.45999ec440220b5acf20ff4852bbf7f8.JPG

Most of the day we were on our own in the park with just occasional sightings of other vehicles in the distance, or maybe one other vehicle with us watching specific animals. It was a peaceful and quiet day. Lake Manyara is big at 89 square miles, so it's impossible to see all of it at once.  Its claim to fame is the tree-climbing lions, but in fact lions will climb trees for the shade pretty much anywhere, so I guess the particular draw in this location is mostly marketing:

IMG_1148b.JPG.171f0ee89c5512dcb9bd1c25c12b539a.JPGIMG_1060b.JPG.41aa261e1ce4d4ae5a335d4e21cf535e.JPG

We drove through areas of dense vegetation, criss-crossed wide open plains, and traveled along wetlands. There is a popular hippo pond but we didn't see any there on our visit. We also saw more eagles, sometimes just wandering around on the ground. The first place where we spent a large amount of time was in an area of dense trees with a troop of baboons that were ensconced next to the road. They were all ages and sizes, and it was such fun to watch them interact. There was lots of grooming and bonding going on, and many babies of different ages clung to each other and to mothers while juveniles played in the trees or chased each other. It was clear they were keeping an eye on us, but at the same time we didn't in any way interfere with their daily life or make them nervous. It was so interesting to watch their different faces and expressions. We especially enjoyed one old dude who napped with his belly hanging out the whole time we were there:

IMG_1066b.JPG.db1caa74a66169be39c9ea0a0432789a.JPG

IMG_1065b.JPG.c523b19372401f41f27904179da7eade.JPG

IMG_1079b.JPG.031bef32383656455e15e863d1a71ccb.JPG

IMG_6254b.JPG.df189ac054305f97143e621b8921216c.JPG

IMG_6266b.JPG.c269e65563483619ce8bfdb1d4ffbcc3.JPG

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

Lake Manyara - continued

We came around a bend in a twisty road to see this lovely young man:

IMG_1126b.JPG.0d5701ba170052780db1faea4f27585c.JPG

and eventually broke out of the trees into a big flat area and to see herds of buffalo, wildebeest, and gazelles. We only saw giraffes a couple of times way in the distance:

IMG_1097b.JPG.2eb1813cf7d0037abf239615c11e51be.JPG

We had another opportunity to splash through a river:

IMG_6322b.JPG.70a05aedccbad924e875cd2fb0f293b1.JPG

Along the lake we saw so many types of water birds, including ibis and hundreds and hundreds of pelicans:

IMG_1131b.JPG.376818609373beae529b394e9f049197.JPG

IMG_6308b.JPG.94994cc29739bb7a32392098d2d20b3c.JPG

IMG_1093b.JPG.c22256399680604f09be813f5e58892a.JPG

IMG_1101b.JPG.7a63a005441ddc8b2ef56fb2f64c66c8.JPG

It was beautiful to sit by the shore of the lake and see its vastness stretching into the distance on one side, the green plains on the other side ending in trees, followed by the mountain ridge rising in the distance. 

When we came into the trees again we watched a family of black-faced vervet monkeys for a bit. They are very quick and don't sit still for very long, so they're hard to take pictures of:

IMG_1116b.JPG.a4f142bb5c40df14e5fe724fa1967968.JPG

When we first met our guide Amos, he asked us what we would like to see. I said lots of animals, any animals, I just don't want to see any snakes. I don’t know enough to tell which are dangerous, so I'm afraid of snakes. Throughout the trip we had this running joke where I would ask are there any snakes here, and he would laugh and say no. But a little bit past the monkeys, Amos stopped and told me to look behind us, and sure enough in a tree there was a big, beautiful black mamba curled up on a branch. He was only there for maybe a minute before we made him nervous and he slithered down the branch into the grass. We took off to stay out of his way. I told Amos that was amazing, I never thought we’d see one of those. But I told you no snakes!🐍😄

He also spotted this colorful kingfisher for me:

IMG_1139b.JPG.9d619fe2787237fb952630a1e80ed990.JPG

Edited by MJC

Lake Manyara - finale

The picnic area where we stopped for lunch is one of only three where it is okay to get out of your vehicle. There were fewer than a dozen vehicles there. It was on the side of hill with a beautiful overlook and fairly clean restrooms. One of the things I enjoyed about our picnics was the chance to see other travelers. Being a careful planner, I found it fascinating that people would wear things that were specifically advised against in my reading. One was a man in a bright royal blue shirt, a color known to attract tse-tse flies, and another was a man dressed head-to-toe in black:  black jeans, black boots, black T-shirt, black hat. He must have been horribly hot! There was a group of women who looked dressed for shopping at a fancy mall, wearing expensive little dresses and heels. One young woman wore an ankle-length chiffon pleated skirt and a long-sleeved sweater.  I couldn’t imagine sitting in a vehicle with seven other people in the hot sun all day like that.

After lunch we headed back into the trees. We came upon a few blue monkeys. The blue monkeys were one of my favorite animals with their beautiful coloring and quiet ways. We were very quiet ourselves not to disturb them, and we could hear more in the trees that were too shy to come out. The few we watched were very watchful in turn, but relaxed enough to eat and play:

IMG_1122b.JPG.f8e604531aff5ca51345273d9c747de8.JPG

IMG_1123b.JPG.bea9ed22eca66e97425c7d7e5b8b2c1f.JPG

Eventually we came upon a vehicle that was stopped near some dense vegetation, and we couldn't figure out what they were looking at. They quietly told us there was a lion in the tree. We looked and looked.  Finally we could just make it out through the dense branches. It was maybe 12 feet away, but the tree it had chosen was so thick with small branches, and the lion was all twisted around them, so it was very difficult to see. We never did get to see its face because it didn't move at all while we were there:

IMG_1142b.JPG.a12bb257663483a3f5a45e998611ea58.JPG

My favorite mammal of all:

IMG_1124b.JPG.370dafb5116ad47038688421f8ec7345.JPG

Leaving Lake Manyara:

IMG_1153b.JPG.79caa83aeefb16556e12e0eff50f12da.JPG

• Like 1