Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

Not that anyone cares I suppose, but going back to the original topic of this thread ...Ideally I'd 2x/day I guess...It's nic to come back to the room tidied up a little, some dry towels, etc...I guess I wouldn't expect a full cleaning every time. If I could only pick one time ...ehh, maybe early evening? We usually nap in the afternoon. Go to drinks, come back, get ready for dinner, then dinner, and then some sort of show, etc...coming back to the room it's nice to have neat and tidy right before bed.

I do understand the argument being made that people feel like they'd be getting less for the same, or in many cases, more. If any of these changes were to be made, I'd hope that prices weren't also raised- Nobody wants to get less for more.

Maybe , maaaaybe if they were going to further implement this system they could do one-a-days just on sea days , and 2-a-days on port days where more people will be gone and they'd have time? I don't know...just ideas I suppose. Obviously it's not all going to get figured out in this thread anyway.

How is the emptying of the mini-bar Carnival's fault? I blame the customers that constantly empty it by themselves or demand their steward empty it so they can fill it with their cans of Shasta. I won't buy anything from them anymore. Who know how many times that $6 can of beer has been cooled and warmed back up.

I would not ask a hotel to empty the mini-bar so I can put all my stuff in it.That's just low-class. I wish Carnival would RFID the items just like other hotels do and the second someone removes it, they are charged. That will stop people from treating it like their own personal fridge.

Some hotel mini bars have weight sensors. Move it you are charged. Imagine the lines this would cause at guest servicing? I woulddelete all tips if stewart charged me too.

Yep. And now all the "mini bars" will be empty. Soon we will be asked to bring our own towels and sheets. You know, to save the stewards time.

Sherry

You are actually pretty funny, I hope you say this in jest.

I don't. That's something Carnival invented. It used to not even exist, then suddenly, $1, and then, $2. They should have actually added and split the $2 between the dining and the steward staff.

Tips are for service. Nothing more. I don't tip anywhere people I never interact with.

Exactly!!

Insults? And I have voiced my opinion to Carnival. Tips should be included in the fare. Hopefully they'll listen. [emoji4]

And until they are included in the fare, I have the choice to pay cash for the services received. I can, if I choose, remove, auto tips, in full or in part because that is they way Carnival allows it to be.

And until they are included in the fare, I have the choice to pay cash for the services received. I can, if I choose, remove, auto tips, in full or in part because that is they way Carnival allows it to be.

That's because the tip goes to the individual not the company. Big companies could care less if you stiffed their employees cause it doesn't affect them. The only people hurt are those working hard to serve you.

That's because the tip goes to the individual not the company. Big companies could care less if you stiffed their employees cause it doesn't affect them. The only people hurt are those working hard to serve you.

I am not stiffing anyone, I am tipping how I want to, not the way Carnival tells me too. I actually tip my room steward very well.

Now if correctly stated in a previous post, not all the auto tips go to the staff, a portion goes to Carnival. I am not tipping Carnival, I have already paid for the cruise.

I am not stiffing anyone, I am tipping how I want to, not the way Carnival tells me too. I actually tip my room steward very well.

Now if correctly stated in a previous post, not all the auto tips go to the staff, a portion goes to Carnival. I am not tipping Carnival, I have already paid for the cruise.

It doesn't. Your just looking for a reason to be "one of those people".

I don't care if I am 'one of those people" according to you. You tip they way you want and I will tip the way I want.

Right on. You're choosing who you reward for good service. And you're well within your rights to do so.

Right on. You're choosing who you reward for good service. And you're well within your rights to do so.

And then those behind the scenes people whom a portion of that, what, $15 goes towards get stiffed. If you are too cheap to cruise then don't cruise.

And then those behind the scenes people whom a portion of that, what, $15 goes towards get stiffed. If you are too cheap to cruise then don't cruise.

They've already said they tip those who give them good service, not that they don't tip at all.

So what you're really trying to say is that if they don't tip like you, they shouldn't cruise.

That's funny.

Tipping is like Politics, best left alone... if you ask me who I "voted" for my answer will always be "yes".

If you ask me about tipping... IF I answered you it would be "noneya".. as in "none of your business".

In the real world I think most most would do the same.

They've already said they tip those who give them good service, not that they don't tip at all.

So what you're really trying to say is that if they don't tip like you, they shouldn't cruise.

That's funny.

Thank you, I was thinking the exact same thing!!

That's funny.

I agree it's up to them, they can follow the recommendations from the cruise line or not. Not speaking for the poster but what I read is if they don't follow the recommendations then don't cruise (not like him which is a significant difference).

There have been many many threads on tipping, with lots of self validation of individuals of why they chose not to follow the recommendations on tipping. In the end, it's their decision to make. If you want to really explore the motivations for these people, go down to the main atrium around guest services the last night of a cruiser and listen to discussions, from people who are trying to remove tips on the last night of a cruise (cowardly at best) Embarrassing is the word that comes to mind.

Interesting thread- heres my thoughts

1) Many places around the world service your room once a day (usually am) I will miss towel animals but no biggie

2) If you are bothered about a messy cabin take 5 mins to tidy up a bit

3) Interesting that some believe their tips should grant them the 2x service even if it pushes their steward to breaking point. This is just as bad as removing/reducing tips IMO as your steward is working more for less.

4)Its obvious that computerised tips give Carnival a cut. How I pay my tips leaves me thinking what I should do.

5) I will sail with Carnival for as long as their price is good for what they give me. I do not see paying £200 more per person for little extras on other lines as worth it.

6) Business is just that. Carnival ain't the only company cutting down things/service to reach their profit projections. Thats life.

7) If you have to give any service staff money as a sweetener...you are only kidding yourselves. Any staff worth their salt will do it as normal.

8) Lighten up...you are on a cruise!

PEACE OUT :cool:

I agree it's up to them, they can follow the recommendations from the cruise line or not. Not speaking for the poster but what I read is if they don't follow the recommendations then don't cruise (not like him which is a significant difference).

There have been many many threads on tipping, with lots of self validation of individuals of why they chose not to follow the recommendations on tipping. In the end, it's their decision to make. If you want to really explore the motivations for these people, go down to the main atrium around guest services the last night of a cruiser and listen to discussions, from people who are trying to remove tips on the last night of a cruise (cowardly at best) Embarrassing is the word that comes to mind.

I am neither cowardly or embarrassed to cancel my gratuities. It is my choice. I don't do it on the last night, I do it as soon as I can. I choose to tip as I see fit not as Carnival or others tell me too. Recommendations are exactly that; I don't have to follow those reccomendations. I do tip those individuals who deserve it and we do tip them well.

When tips are removed it reflects in their performance ratings.

That's funny.

Laugh away then. There are people whom I'm sure they don't tip. Of the $12 per day $6.10 goes to dining services. $3.90 goes to room services and $2 goes to alternative services including kitchen, entertainment, guest services, and other hotel staff. So if you remove the grats I think it's safe to say you don't go out of your way to tip those behind the scenes people. Again I will say it, those whom remove their grats are cheap. And if you are to cheap to tip ALL of those whom help you have a great time, then cruising isn't for you.

Laugh away then. There are people whom I'm sure they don't tip. Of the $12 per day $6.10 goes to dining services. $3.90 goes to room services and $2 goes to alternative services including kitchen, entertainment, guest services, and other hotel staff. So if you remove the grats I think it's safe to say you don't go out of your way to tip those behind the scenes people. Again I will say it, those whom remove their grats are cheap. And if you are to cheap to tip ALL of those whom help you have a great time, then cruising isn't for you.

Alternate services that receive a full salary vs. how stewards are paid. Tipping is for service rendered. What type of service does someone in entertainment give me? If I don't need to go to Guest Services, why should I tip them? Tips are not for the kitchen people who get paid a salary.

And before you make a snarky comment, I leave my auto tips in place. However, I can't say that it thrills me that some of my auto tips go to people who are not giving me any type of service. For me, it's like a tip jar sitting on a counter where I go and place my own order and then take my own order. What are they doing to receive a tip? They get paid a reasonable hourly wage. Not a "service" position that would receive tips.

Alternate services that receive a full salary vs. how stewards are paid. Tipping is for service rendered. What type of service does someone in entertainment give me? If I don't need to go to Guest Services, why should I tip them? Tips are not for the kitchen people who get paid a salary.

And before you make a snarky comment, I leave my auto tips in place. However, I can't say that it thrills me that some of my auto tips go to people who are not giving me any type of service. For me, it's like a tip jar sitting on a counter where I go and place my own order and then take my own order. What are they doing to receive a tip? They get paid a reasonable hourly wage. Not a "service" position that would receive tips.

Most of the entertainers earn about 25000 a year which equates to about 500 a week. Not a whole lot considering all the time they put in.

Interesting thread- heres my thoughts

2) If you are bothered about a messy cabin take 5 mins to tidy up a bit

3) Interesting that some believe their tips should grant them the 2x service even if it pushes their steward to breaking point. This is just as bad as removing/reducing tips IMO as your steward is working more for less.

I do tidy up our clothes and other items. I want the service for things I can't do, like changing the towels, emptying the trash, fixing the upper beds, and cleaning up sand. I don't want 2x service to push my steward to breaking point. I want Carnival to give each steward a reasonable number of cabins, so I can have 2x service w/o overworking my steward. I think that's reasonable for the $19.50/day my family prepays in tips for "stateroom services" (along with the extra cash we give).