Flight lands at 1:20.. quick turnaround HELP!

linekekei

Anybody have any advice... our flight changed and we are landing at 1:20 at Miami International. Our cruise is scheduled to leave at 5:00 so I'm assuming we need to be on the boat by 3:00.

Any advice on how to make it there on time and quick? Luckily it is a short cruise so we are just taking our carry-ons so we won't need to wait at baggage claim.

Anybody have any advice... our flight changed and we are landing at 1:20 at Miami International. Our cruise is scheduled to leave at 5:00 so I'm assuming we need to be on the boat by 3:00.

Any advice on how to make it there on time and quick? Luckily it is a short cruise so we are just taking our carry-ons so we won't need to wait at baggage claim.

Did your airline offer you the option of making a change since they did the itinerary change? Maybe if you contact them and tell them you have to get on a cruise ship, they'll let you take an earlier flight or even fly in the day before. I don't know where you're flying from or if you have connections, but that's cutting it pretty close! I'd try to change it.

~Joanne

Definitely cutting it close:

"Please be advised that on embarkation day, all guests must be onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise

documents or they will not be permitted to sail"

By how many hours did your flight change?

Airlines make exceptions all the time when THEY change your flight time

Call them asap and rebook on a better flight.....and no they will not charge you....as THEY made the change

However sometimes they will try to say it has to be a flight change of 3 hours or so....BUT....you must respectfully suggest to them that you are on a cruise and REQUIRE an exception

It's done all the time...

Honestly fwiw this is a perfect example of booking the earliest possible flight out so a change of a few hours won't hurt you should they flight change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

I would call the airline. I never travel the day the cruise leaves I am always worried about something going wrong with the flight maybe call them and see if you can get a earlier flight or the day before Start your vacation early with no worries

If no other delays you will be fine. But the what if's concern me, plane delayed leaving or arriving, taxi driver gets pulled over or heaven forbid an accident!

I always, always fly in the day before. Yes more cost involved but less stress and well rested.

Doable if you don't stub your toe anywhere on the way. You've actually got 2 1/2 hours to go like 5 miles. Personally, I'd be a nervous wreck. But then I'm retired so I don't do anything in a hurry. :)

Edited by travler27

I usually fly in the same day due to work requirements but my flight is always non-stop and arrives at 0930. No way would I do same day, landing at 1:20.

I don't mind taking a chance but not shaving it that close.

Like other said, call the airline. I've found them to be quite accommodating in the past.

I'll just share my last flight experience. It was not pre-cruise but post-cruise. After our 19-night Panama Canal cruise last year (Houston to Seattle) we spent 3 nights in Seattle after the cruise. Our flight home was delayed EIGHT HOURS because the vehicle bringing the luggage to the plane ran into the plane. :eek: Oops! It was just a "small dent" but they had to fix it, of course. I had a sinus infection from the "pollen tsunami" in Seattle (that's what the local news was calling it). It was pure misery but luckily we weren't trying to get to the cruise.

Stuff happens. You have to do what you're comfortable with.

Since it was the airline who changed the time, not you, if you call the airline and request an earlier flight, if one is available they will let you make the change without a fee. That is what we did when our changed flight made short time.

You might need to call a car service to make sure your ride is ready and waiting for you to ensure u get to the port on time. I use Sun Transfers they cost but are waiting for u at baggage claim with a sign and can quickly get u squared away and to the port

One time my family and I were sitting at the lifeboat drill next to a woman sitting alone crying.

I asked her what was wrong, she told me her friend's flight got delayed and she will miss the cruise. This woman spent the rest of her vacation cruising alone. I always would invite her to sit with us and I'd see her and chat but I felt so sorry for her!

Just call the airline. They changed the flight time, tell them you are on a tight schedule for the cruise and need an earlier flight.

We were on the Sky in December and people were getting on the ship during the muster drill. We saw about 15-20 people running up the gangway. The ship was suppose to leave at 5 but wind up leaving at 7.

Good luck.

I plan on getting in early and staying at the LaQuinta east they have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and free shuttle from the hotel to the cruise port.When I called them to double check that they did I asked how far from the port they are and he said 25/30 miles and that is about the same in minutes

Once I had an early flight into LAX to catch a cruise out of San Pedro. The flight dumped me in Oakland and didn't continue. No reason given. I scrambled, as did the other 150 people on the plane, for another flight. Got to LAX at about 1:30 and the frenzy began. With LA traffic I made it with about 5 minutes to spare. The taxi driver drove like a bat out of hell with the incentive I offered him. Never again.

So many things can happen to delay you even a couple hours and poof, your cruise is gone.

The airport is ten miles from the port of Miami and is a twenty minute car ride under perfect traffic conditions.

However, from experience, traffic is rarely perfect in Miami and the ride can take over an hour at rush hour or under any other conditions that cause havoc with the traffic flow.

Are you in a weather prone area - get the heck out of Dodge while the gittin is

good.

Others have comment "The Airline Changed the Schedule" so have the airline

change your flight to one that is earlier and perhaps the best thing the day

before the cruise meaning you will need a hotel for the night. Cheap relaxing

insurance for that cruise - AND - commenting on insurance if you are planning

a very late check-in and miss the sailing hope you have that insurance although

the policy provisions may not compensate for planned late arriving.

If you don't have cruise insurance all the more reason to protect your cruise

investment.

One last thing to consider if planning a late fashionable arrival at the ship

- What if the airline mishandles your baggage ?

You will not have time to fill out forms and wait for the baggage to be found

and timely reunited with you. Plan on packing at least a couple of days

clothes in your carry-on gear and if you have that all important insurance

then replacement clothing maybe covered to get you by.

NOW if you arrive the day before and that happens you will at least have a

ghost of a chance to mate with your baggage - all in time to get on the ship !

Now have a couple of drinks and rethink the game plan.

I am Rodney Dangerfield and I "don't get no respect".

Thank all the CC folks for their all important advice and have a nice cruise !

The airport is ten miles from the port of Miami and is a twenty minute car ride under perfect traffic conditions.

However, from experience, traffic is rarely perfect in Miami and the ride can take over an hour at rush hour or under any other conditions that cause havoc with the traffic flow.

And when you get to the POM under those other conditions NCL will be rolling

up the Red Carpet and pulling the Gangway tempting you to do a leap of faith

to get on board timely !

If you do this at noon probably no real time traffic issues but by mid-afternoon

the frenzy of traffic escalates and finding the right building and port to board

your ship can be daunting - Your driver should be compensated for hazardous

duty pay under those circumstances - getting you to the church (ship) on time !

Bear in mind that Miami is the largest cruise port in the world and in a short

period of time on some days as many as 8 or more vessels maybe sailing.

Consider 2K passengers as the minimum load on these ships the number

or people trying to get on board their ship having traveled from a hotel airport

the beach or whatever is going to present traffic problems on a grand scale.