Just hanging out around town

angelhelly

We are leaving on our cruise at the end of May and we are trying to figure out what to do... We have a limited budget and my husband don't like to have things planned in advance, he just likes to get off the ship and see what's around.

Between those 3 stops (Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway) if there is a stop that is fun just to go around town and look around, or if there is a stop that the town is so not worth it than an excursion is the way to go.

Thanks!

We are doing our first Alaska cruise in June so we don't have any first hand information for you.

This website was posted previously on CC which my help you or give you ideas.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/portlist.html#.Vqzv9tCGN9Y

Since our cruise stops for a short time in Ketchikan we will probably do a self guided walking tour. Someone posted that there is a map available in the visitors center in town.

Sometimes it's much more relaxing to simply do your own thing, find a cafe, sit down and have a coffee, drink, beer whatever.

What are you going to Alaska for? What do you hope to see and do? Questions to ask yourself. Then your "answers" need a good look at what is available for that.

I'll say- there area plenty of people like you, don't wander too far from the ship, spend no/little touring money, no plans. It's perfectly fine for many people, it's their trip and what worked well for them. BUT, every cruise- on that last sailing day, when people are winding down and that lull of the cruise being over- I always- find someone who has deep regrets, they didn't see any wildlife, slept through the glaciers, stayed on the ship in ports, didn't "know" this and that. Well that time is over.

I'd suggest you ask yourself some hard questions- what do you want out of your trip? It's an overall mistake not to at least have minimal ideas/plans and KNOW what is available. Time is short in port. You want to decide at the last minute as least you can get going if you've looked over the details prior, and not have to fish around for information.

Edited by Budget Queen

There is lots to see just walking around in Ketchikan but you still need some idea of the options. http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

Skagway http://skagway.com/business-category/activities/

Juneau http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31020-Activities-Juneau_Alaska.html

Check out the tours from your ship --they will give you some ideas also.

Hope you have waterproof jackets and shoes as it can be quite rainy --and layers if it's chilly.

For me a lot of the fun is planning the excursions, doing the research and the anticipation of what is to come.

If I had to choose I'd pick Ketchican as the one to just wander around town. The downtown area is pretty small and you can walk up to Creek Street an/or do the Married Man trail.

In Juneau you can pick up some cheaper tours along the pier or near the Tram for about $30-35 per person that would allow you a pretty good overall view of Juneau and the Mendenhall glacier. Or maybe this be the place to splurge a little on a whale watch tour.

Skagway a relatively inexpensive choice is to rent a car and drive into the Yukon, but you need to reserve a car in advance (best option is Avis) Town is small and you usually have a long port time so I'd get outside of town for a while and see the sights

Do you research in advance, as BQ says you don't want to waste any port time an/or have regrets about what you could have done later.

We are leaving on our cruise at the end of May and we are trying to figure out what to do... We have a limited budget and my husband don't like to have things planned in advance, he just likes to get off the ship and see what's around.

Between those 3 stops (Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway) if there is a stop that is fun just to go around town and look around, or if there is a stop that the town is so not worth it than an excursion is the way to go.

Thanks!

This is 'what's around' in Ketchikan. It's a Nice place to spend a 2 or 3 hours if the weather is as nice as this. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]Yq9hXgdj_J8[/YOUTUBE]

What are you going to Alaska for? What do you hope to see and do? Questions to ask yourself. Then your "answers" need a good look at what is available for that.

I'll say- there area plenty of people like you, don't wander too far from the ship, spend no/little touring money, no plans. It's perfectly fine for many people, it's their trip and what worked well for them. BUT, every cruise- on that last sailing day, when people are winding down and that lull of the cruise being over- I always- find someone who has deep regrets, they didn't see any wildlife, slept through the glaciers, stayed on the ship in ports, didn't "know" this and that. Well that time is over.

I'd suggest you ask yourself some hard questions- what do you want out of your trip? It's an overall mistake not to at least have minimal ideas/plans and KNOW what is available. Time is short in port. You want to decide at the last minute as least you can get going if you've looked over the details prior, and not have to fish around for information.

Oh, I agree totally!

If it was me, I would have already 3 excursions booked, my full itinery planned and ready to go! However, my husband gets overwhelmed when everything is planned to the T (that's me...), so we did a compromise. He wants 1 stop (other than Victoria) where we can just go out of the boat and Explore without having to go on a schedule. Seems Ketchikan might be the one to do that at.

I was looking at the Glassblowing and the train in Skagway. Renting a car could be a great option, thank you! I did wanted to do some trip on the water at one point, debating between whales watching, a "deadliest catch" experience or glacier watching. We can't flight because of the weight surchage. I want to try fresh fish and seafood. And see glaciers! I will not sleep during that time :-)

I live in the US but comes from a foresty area in Canada where I grew up with Moose hunting, bear seing and beluga whale watching... Fishing in lakes. I love watching the Fjord in my math class. I love just being there and smell the air, see the trees and the mountains.

Edited by angelhelly

He wants 1 stop (other than Victoria) where we can just go out of the boat and Explore without having to go on a schedule. Seems Ketchikan might be the one to do that at.

You may be approaching this from the wrong end, so to speak. Find the tours that you really really want to do, decide which two you will do, and then figure out what to do in the leftover port. JMHO.

I almost think to see things in Alaska on a cruise, you need to get out of the port cities/towns. Everything I have loved about Alaska is not in town. Otherwise, you are probably going to see a lot of Diamonds International stores and t-shirt stops.

Alaska is different than the Caribbean where beaches are often the destination.

If you are a history buff, I can say that the National Park Service does free walking tours in Skagway. You need to go early and sign up for a time as they always seem to book up quickly. The one I went on was really good.

Good luck!

I almost think to see things in Alaska on a cruise, you need to get out of the port cities/towns. Everything I have loved about Alaska is not in town. Otherwise, you are probably going to see a lot of Diamonds International stores and t-shirt stops.

Alaska is different than the Caribbean where beaches are often the destination.

If you are a history buff, I can say that the National Park Service does free walking tours in Skagway. You need to go early and sign up for a time as they always seem to book up quickly. The one I went on was really good.

Good luck!

Re your first paragraph. In Juneau on our last visit, we just took public transportation to Douglas and walked the beach. We really saw "slice of life" Alaska doing that :) It is one of my DH's favorite memories from that cruise. Some of my favorite memories of Alaska involve the opportunity to connect with locals, spend time chatting, learn a bit about their lives.

Re your first paragraph. In Juneau on our last visit, we just took public transportation to Douglas and walked the beach. We really saw "slice of life" Alaska doing that :) It is one of my DH's favorite memories from that cruise. Some of my favorite memories of Alaska involve the opportunity to connect with locals, spend time chatting, learn a bit about their lives.

You definitely saw more then "the shops in downtown in Juneau"! What a great memory. I have yet to go to Douglas.

Juneau is definitely a city where I could spend a week. There is so much to see there or from there. Heck, I could spend a day just watching whales.

I have also heard similar things as BQ said. I often hear people say "there isn't much to do in Skagway or Ketchikan (and that is all they saw). I am like - too bad you didn't get out of the tourist areas and see some of the area.

You definitely saw more then "the shops in downtown in Juneau"! What a great memory. I have yet to go to Douglas.

Juneau is definitely a city where I could spend a week. There is so much to see there or from there. Heck, I could spend a day just watching whales.

I have also heard similar things as BQ said. I often hear people say "there isn't much to do in Skagway or Ketchikan (and that is all they saw). I am like - too bad you didn't get out of the tourist areas and see some of the area.

Having cruised many times to Alaska here are a couple of things we do, Ketchikan-take a walk to Creek St. then take the Funicular up to the lodge for a gorgeous view, flowers and totems, (no cost). In Skagway walk to Skagway Fish Company for the best Halibut and Chips you can imagine, walk into town to browse the old railway station, brothel/pub or the museum or if you are up to walking the old cemetery is very interesting. One trip I enjoyed the van ride to the Yukon border the highway parallels the White Pass and Yukon train through the valley. Juneau take the "blue bus" to Mendenhall Glacier, it does a continuous circuit every 30 minutes so you can spend whatever time you want at the Glacier and in the Interpretation Centre (just make sure you are back in good time for sailing) bus drivers are all native and give a running commentary along the drive to and from the Glacier. Some of these things have no cost and others are very minimal expense. If you have time after Mendenhall get off the bus downtown and enjoy the history and the carved rock monument of pioneers/miners then stroll back to the ship. Caveat is this is dependant on being mobile and what the weather might be doing. And, yes please stay awake for Glacier Bay !!!!! Enjoy your trip, we are going again in May, can hardly wait !!!!!

There are several lovely vacation rentals overlooking the beach in Douglas... if the Cdn $ was stronger, that would be on my "maybe" list for this year.

My point though, really, is that there are cool things to do anywhere, with a bit of research. Diamonds International et al is, for me, anathema :)

This is 'what's around' in Ketchikan. It's a Nice place to spend a 2 or 3 hours if the weather is as nice as this. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]Yq9hXgdj_J8[/YOUTUBE]

Will be goin to Alaska in June, an I can't wait!! After seein the video, it makes me want to go, Now:) Also will be makin sure that I will be doin the walkin tour, have been to Alaska before, but this time will be takin my time in mosyin around and takin in all the sights!!:) I can also agree with Vitoriaj, that the food at the Skagway Fish Co is very good. Have also eaten at Tracy's Crab shack in Juneau.

Edited by gottagoacruzn

Juneau and Ketchikan have the most to do, without booking an excursion.

In Ketchikan you can walk the town, go on a hike (trail leaves from downtown), or visit the SE Alaska discovery center ($5 pp). In Juneau, how about taking a tour of the State Capitol building (one of my favorite Alaska experiences).

Lots of things to do for little or no money. Just research before you go! Hth!

Aloha,

I've been to all three of those ports on my cruise to Alaska last year and all three of them are very visitor friendly with free/low cost activities. Ketchikan is one of my favorite cities in the US and it's very easy to walk around town and see the shops and some scenic views and hikes. Ceder Street is towards the back of the town and there you can find many quaint shops and get some affordable souvenirs. While at Juneau, there are many bus companies on at the port that do simple round trip transportation to Mendenhall Glacier (that's what my group of friends did last time, and someone mentioned the "blue bus" earlier which I believe is what we chose) for usually $15-$30 (just shop around for pricing). I'm going on Norwegian again this May and I'm taking their Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Hatchery tour.

Whatever you choose to do, you'll have a great time! Happy cruising! :)