Passport Expires while On Cruise.

LadyBeBop

Honduras is in the Caribbean?

Yes, big body of water on its east coast.

Carnival Cruise Line, HAL and others go to Honduras (Roatan) to a Carnival created cruise port on some of their Western itineraries. It is another like Grand Turk created port stop.

Wow. I never expected this to go three pages.

1) Stinks that it's so close. But I'm sure we are going to renew. But the earliest we are going to renew is Summer 2017. That way, we are all set for our potential cruise in Spring 2027.

2) My husband's father isn't in the best of health. Peace of mind.

The cost of a passport is $110 right? They are valid for ten years, it then comes down to $11/year. If you re-new one year early the cost would be $12.22/year, is $1.22 something that you can't "lose" every year during a period of 9 years? It's a total of $11.

What if your husband's father gets ill during to cruise and you would like to fly home early from one of the caribbean islands? Would a total of $11 really matter then?

Edited by Extra Kim

...But I'm sure we are going to renew. But the earliest we are going to renew is Summer 2017. That way, we are all set for our potential cruise in Spring 2027

OP, glad to hear you will renew and as well, I don't know if I've ever read of a potential cruise so far out. :p Must be a milestone of some sort.

YOu have a certified birth certificate you are good with a drivers' lisence.

But not if they have to fly home, and OP said her father-in-law is in ill health. :(

You need to look at each country since it varies greatly. Just looking at the State Dept web site:

Antigua - 3 months

Aruba/Curacao/Bonaire - 3 months

Barbados - time of entry

Belize - length of stay

Cayman Islands - time of entry

Dominica - time of entry

Dominican Republic - time of entry

Grenada - 6 months

Martinique and St. Barts - 6 months

Mexico - 6 months

Saint Kitts and Nevis - 6 months

Saint Lucia - 6 months

Saint Martin - time of entry

Given the differences between requirements for each country it is obvious why cruise lines (and air lines) make a general requirement that 6 months validity is required.

None of this matters because cruise passengers are in transit. The only reason a US citizen needs a passport on a closed loop Caribbean cruise is to renter the US. It is not required at any of the islands, other than St. Barths.

OP, glad to hear you will renew and as well, I don't know if I've ever read of a potential cruise so far out. :p Must be a milestone of some sort.

But not if they have to fly home, and OP said her father-in-law is in ill health. :(

We put down a 'future cruise deposit' almost three years in advance of Millenium Christmas/New Years Eve in order to get first pick when the itineraries were released by HAL. :) It was sooo worth it.

None of this matters because cruise passengers are in transit. The only reason a US citizen needs a passport on a closed loop Caribbean cruise is to renter the US. It is not required at any of the islands, other than St. Barths.

There is some question if St. Maarten is starting to require passports for cruise pax.

It appears it is only a matter of time until ships that call in U.S. ports will be permitted to sail to Cuba. One would strongly suspect a passport will be required for entry to Cuba. :) If it is on your list of places you want to visit, beat the rush and get your passport now. One can imagine there may be a large number of Americans who decide they want to visit Cuba badly enough to apply for passports........ or not. :)

We put down a 'future cruise deposit' almost three years in advance of Millenium Christmas/New Years Eve in order to get first pick when the itineraries were released by HAL. :) It was sooo worth it.

There is some question if St. Maarten is starting to require passports for cruise pax.

I searched the CCL board and saw nothing that indicated that passengers were being turned away on that itinerary. In any event St Maarten is on my next cruise's itinerary so I'll check in with my EDL and let you know what happens.

We discussed earlier in this thread there are few states that issue EDL's.

If someone here lives in a state that does not issue EDL's. your experience is of no significance to them..... I am one of them.

It appears it is only a matter of time until ships that call in U.S. ports will be permitted to sail to Cuba. One would strongly suspect a passport will be required for entry to Cuba. :) If it is on your list of places you want to visit, beat the rush and get your passport now. One can imagine there may be a large number of Americans who decide they want to visit Cuba badly enough to apply for passports........ or not. :)

Cuba was one of those places that I visited without a passport back in the day:) (of course I wasn't taking any tours of the island). Only time will tell if Cuba will require US citizens to have passports.

We discussed earlier in this thread there are few states that issue EDL's.

If someone here lives in a state that does not issue EDL's. your experience is of no significance to them..... I am one of them.

If they will accept an EDL they would accept a passport card or a birth certificate/government issued ID. After all, the question is does St Maarten require a passport.

Cuba was one of those places that I visited without a passport back in the day:) (of course I wasn't taking any tours of the island). Only time will tell if Cuba will require US citizens to have passports.

Americans who now visit Cuba are required to have passports. There are many categories of exceptions to the 'no travel rule' and thousands of Americans legally visit Cuba each year.

My late DH and I wanted to go and our congregation offered a study group, however, the date did not work for us.

If they will accept an EDL they would accept a passport card or a birth certificate/government issued ID. After all, the question is does St Maarten require a passport.

Are you at all concerned perhaps St. Maarten really does mean it and you could be denied boarding if you do not have the proper travel documents?

To say, well then, I won't leave the ship in St. Maarten will not get you on, as you know.

I truly wish you well but you seem to indicate in your post there is some question in your mind that your EDL may not suffice?

Are you at all concerned perhaps St. Maarten really does mean it and you could be denied boarding if you do not have the proper travel documents?

To say, well then, I won't leave the ship in St. Maarten will not get you on, as you know.

I truly wish you well but you seem to indicate in your post there is some question in your mind that your EDL may not suffice?

I just checked the online check in section and it does list all of the WHTI options and I'm not sure that it would have that if one of the ports required passports. You were the one that wondered if St Maarten means it and I'm willing to try it out. No worries about being denied, my passport will be available if they say it's needed.:)

Americans who now visit Cuba are required to have passports. There are many categories of exceptions to the 'no travel rule' and thousands of Americans legally visit Cuba each year.

My late DH and I wanted to go and our congregation offered a study group, however, the date did not work for us.

If I'm not mistaken US citizens need passports to visit any country in the Caribbean by air and also if I am not mistaken US citizens need to fly to Cuba from another country and presumably they would need to have passports to do that too.

In any event I was specifically wondering if US citizens would need passports to visit Cuba via a cruise ship.

Cruise ships are not the only vessels that sail the seas. There are people with some fabulous private yachts that could well arrive by sea. I also believe there are some charter flights that fly from U.S. to Cuba for those who meet the legal requirements.

There are cruise ships from other countries that call there. If an American travels to Cuba on that ship, it should be legal as long as they have arranged the necessary exception to the 'no travel rule'.

Edited by sail7seas

Cruise ships are not the only vessels that sail the seas. There are people with some fabulous private yachts that could well arrive by sea. I also believe there are some charter flights that fly from U.S. to Cuba for those who meet the legal requirements.

There are cruise ships from other countries that call there. If an American travels to Cuba on that ship, it should be legal as long as they have arranged the necessary exception to the 'no travel rule'.

You were the one that raised the question, or at least I thought you did. I suspect that once cruise ships start including Cuba on their closed loop cruises from the US that Cuba will possibly sign off on the WHTI.

I am happy you chose to respond to my question about St. Maarten.

:o I didn't 'make' you do so. :D

Good conversation. Thank you.

Hope you have a great visit to St. Maarten.

I am happy you chose to respond to my question about St. Maarten.

:o I didn't 'make' you do so. :D

Good conversation. Thank you.

Hope you have a great visit to St. Maarten.

Thank you. The only problem with it is that it is so far away. (And I know that I volunteered to be a guinea pig, but I've done it before.)

Our passports expire in March of 2017. We will be renewing at about 6 months out--has to be done anyway, We probably won't be cruising until Dec. 2016, but I don't see the sense in waiting until the last minute. Just one less thing to worry about.