Inaugural Cruises

DEEDIA

The last and first Inaugural Cruise we did was the Independence of the Seas, we got a few free gifts, a Cap and a photo. Is it usual to receive freebies on these First Cruisers. Guess some of you have some wonderful tales to tell.

I sailed on the Majestic's (Premier Cruise Line) inaugural sailing as a guest. We had the bliss of having hors d'oeuvres and Dom Perignon on the bridge and then standing on the wing of the bridge to sail under the Sunshine Skyway in Tampa Bay.

In our stateroom was another bottle of Dom and a giant chocolate bar embossed with the ship's profile.

That was a never to be repeated fabulous experience.

We sailed what advertised as Quantum's inaugural cruise. It turned out that the maiden voyage (trans-Atlantic) the week before got all the goodies we thought we'd get.

We got a cheaply printed "certificate" after people at the last day's Q&A with officers brought it up.

Our last "inaugural." Definitely wasn't worth the inflated price we paid. We did enjoy the ship, though!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We sailed what advertised as Quantum's inaugural cruise. It turned out that the maiden voyage (trans-Atlantic) the week before got all the goodies we thought we'd get.

We got a cheaply printed "certificate" after people at the last day's Q&A with officers brought it up.

Our last "inaugural." Definitely wasn't worth the inflated price we paid. We did enjoy the ship, though!!

We were there also and can confirm what Joan said above. Very disappointing after all the hype that was given to other ships that had their inaugural cruises. We did have a good time though and just loved the ship.

We were there also and can confirm what Joan said above. Very disappointing after all the hype that was given to other ships that had their inaugural cruises. We did have a good time though and just loved the ship.

We were also on that cruise and in addition we received 2 light weight back packs with Quantum of the Seas embroidered on them and a bottle of Dom half way through.

On the other hand the Oasis Inaugural was incredible with gifts being put on your bed almost every evening.

I sailed with you. Ship was beautiful but inaugural was a big disappointment.

I haven't been on an inaugural cruise and I don't think I'd ever go on one. Cost issues aside, I would be concerned about unfinished amenities and crew who aren't yet "in the groove" (whether they're newly-minted and inexperienced, or transfers unaccustomed to the new ship, service teams, etc.).

I have the same concerns about any sailing that is scheduled shortly after drydock, as evidenced by the unfinished work with Liberty right now.

Count us in! We were on the cruise that was sold as an Inaugural only to be told on board that it was NOT an inaugural. They seemed to go out their way to prove that it was not an Inaugural Cruise. Still trying to figure out why we got the cheap certificate if it was not an inaugural. I did manage to get the Quantum hard bound book by asking my Room Steward if there were any available. Everyone got ball caps and a water bottles...that was it! As noted...the passengers on the Maiden Voyage got gifts every night.

I do remember being on the Brilliance during the ships inaugural year and they gave out the hard bound books weeks after the actual Inaugural. Times Change!!!

Just my opinion but I would not trust that RCI would do anything special for any future Inaugural Cruise. We definitely will not test that theory!

We were also on that cruise and in addition we received 2 light weight back packs with Quantum of the Seas embroidered on them and a bottle of Dom half way through.

On the other hand the Oasis Inaugural was incredible with gifts being put on your bed almost every evening.

Count us in! We were on the cruise that was sold as an Inaugural only to be told on board that it was NOT an inaugural. They seemed to go out their way to prove that it was not an Inaugural Cruise. Still trying to figure out why we got the cheap certificate if it was not an inaugural. I did manage to get the Quantum hard bound book by asking my Room Steward if there were any available. Everyone got ball caps and a water bottles...that was it! As noted...the passengers on the Maiden Voyage got gifts every night.

I do remember being on the Brilliance during the ships inaugural year and they gave out the hard bound books weeks after the actual Inaugural. Times Change!!!

Just my opinion but I would not trust that RCI would do anything special for any future Inaugural Cruise. We definitely will not test that theory!

I have to correct myself here:eek: We were on the Maiden TA cruise not the Inaugural. I can say without a doubt we did not receive gifts every night. Only as mentioned above in my post.

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

We sailed on the Oasis inaugural and it was wonderful. We got cinch sacks (drawstring back pack type bags) upon check in. Then every night after dinner we found gifts in our stateroom. I don't remember everything we got, but I know it included a leatherette portfolio with certificate and ship photo, tote bags, fleece blankets, lanyards, beach towels (I think), hats, souvenir Coke bottles, champagne, and some other stuff. They also had a guy on the boardwalk imprinting commemorative coins.

We did the Allure inaugural too and got several gifts, but not quite as much as on Oasis. I think the reason Oasis was so elaborate was because it was truly such an epic new class of ship.

We've been on the Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum inaugurals. The first (Freedom) was fantastic, with lots of delightful gifts. The second (Oasis) was also terrific, with many nice gifts, although not as many as the Freedom inaugural. The third (Quantum) was a total loss. We received virtually nothing, and paid extra to get it. We're done with inaugurals.

Wow some of you where really lucky compared to others, some lovely mementos handed out there. Jumped on the Ovation booking 3 day Cruise April 14th, so hope we are looked after in the same way. :D

In my limited experience, Inaugural cruises are shake down cruises where they are basically working out how to run things and iron out the bugs with a payload of passengers. There are often teething problems and the cruise lines nearly always compensate the passengers with freebies, extra OBC or FCCs. If you want to be one of the first on the ship, (and you pay for it, compared to other cruises), then it is worth the experience. Just don't expect everything to be perfect.

In my limited experience, Inaugural cruises are shake down cruises where they are basically working out how to run things and iron out the bugs with a payload of passengers. There are often teething problems and the cruise lines nearly always compensate the passengers with freebies, extra OBC or FCCs. If you want to be one of the first on the ship, (and you pay for it, compared to other cruises), then it is worth the experience. Just don't expect everything to be perfect.

True, but I must say the Oasis inaugural was more or less free of bugs. I don't recall anything not going as it was supposed to. We expected and were fine with it if that wasn't the case, but were pleasantly surprised.

True, but I must say the Oasis inaugural was more or less free of bugs. I don't recall anything not going as it was supposed to. We expected and were fine with it if that wasn't the case, but were pleasantly surprised.

That was great then.

Sometimes the teething issues may be due to having so many new staff/crew members.

• 2 months later...

How do you know if you are on an inaugural?

I booked the Harmony for 29th May as it was the inaugural

Then two short cruises were added before

Now I understand the naming ceremony will be in the US

So, does anyone know if I am on the inaugural or if I just paid extra because they told me I was :confused: