May or September?

Turtle05

My husband and I are tentatively planning a cruise with my 60-year-old parents for 2017. We are unsure of when we can go right now, but if I have my choice, I'd like to go during one of the shoulder months so we can do more with our budget. I cruised Alaska once before in May, and I found it to be a great time to go. I had sunny days in both Ketchikan and Juneau. The rain I did experience in Skagway was really just a misting. Anyways, I am just wondering if anyone has advice or a preference between the two. I see that May is supposed to be drier, but September is better for possibly seeing the northern lights. Which one is best for seeing wildlife? I did a whale tour when I went in Juneau, and we did spy a pod of orcas and one humpback, but that was all. I also spied orcas once from the ship. My mom is basically threatening a mutiny if she doesn't see whales ☺️ We are not sure yet if we are going to have the time and/or money to do a land tour as well, which is yet another reason to go in one of the shoulder months! Also, feel free to offer advice on tours that have good wildlife viewing. We may or may not do our tours all together. My parents are not overly active, but they aren't overweight or in poor health either. They would love to hike. My husband and I are fairly active, and we would like to hike, kayak, and possibly some other active tours.

You are allowing how much time? With a one way- You need a cruise the last week of May, north, or a northbound cruise- ideally last of August, and not too far into Sept. Aurora- requires TIME, and being in the right place- which on mainland Alaska, better Denali Park and north. You won't see them in Anchorage.- way too light.

The fall in Denali can be spectacular, needing the shuttle bus to at least Eielson, this is the time to also consider Wonder Lake.

Your prior whale watch- was a trip that did see wildlife. The vendor, probably gave a priority to the orcas. This was within a standard tour. You can not expect more. Can you get more, sure.

To see wildlife- there is a direct link to frequency and time investment. The more and longer you are out- searching, the more you see. You can't expect a lot of sightings without this. Denali Park- is an ideal bargain opportunity- going out twice, offers "more" as example. A jackpot varied wildlife tour- I'd recommend be considered is a Kenai fjords boat tour- of at least 6 hours on the water. These 2 particular areas are very wildlife successful. For whales, 100% success is at Juneau and Hoonah.

Glacier Bay is another wildlife hot spot- but - it requires a full day of time investment and a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Few people take full advantage. I find the lowest open deck and going side to side the most successful. I am out- at dawn, then stay out, after leaving. Yep, "all day" for my priority. :)

Another vote for May. Late May to mid June is my favorite time, lots of daylight, smaller crowds and I think overall chance for better weather. I'm not sure theses months are much cheaper anymore, just find a good TA and compare pricing.

Thanks so much! I was already partial to May due to my successful previous visit, but you guys helped solidify that! I so badly hope we have the time and money to do a land tour. I am mildly obsessed with seeing Alaska's interior, particularly Denali, and I think my parents would really enjoy it. My mom is especially concerned with bugs (she told me at least three times that her boss told her the flies are bad in August), so that makes another vote for May.

Thanks so much! I was already partial to May due to my successful previous visit, but you guys helped solidify that! I so badly hope we have the time and money to do a land tour. I am mildly obsessed with seeing Alaska's interior, particularly Denali, and I think my parents would really enjoy it. My mom is especially concerned with bugs (she told me at least three times that her boss told her the flies are bad in August), so that makes another vote for May.

You can run into bugs end of May, into June. :) Depends on the weather.

I'll just keep that nugget to myself 😊

Good idea. :) Most visitors don't get to the worse bug areas. At the other end, I've never encountered any bugs, past mid August, many times, I plan my Wonder Lake trips for past then. ;)

I have been to Alaska three times... and going again sept 4th this year.

First time we went in Sept, second time again was sept and last time was May.

Yes the weather was awesome in May (end) and the second time in sept was a rainy time for sure... but the other time in sept was awesome. Praying this coming cruise will also be geat.

You have to remember that weather changes and if you are prepared it should not be a huge factor to enjoy the beauty of Alaska.

Also, in May we could not get as close to the glaciers at all.... the mountains were pretty with all the snow. Shopping did not have the great deals Sept has.

September has the best shopping due to close out sales.... never had trouble finding what we were looking for.... and did i mention the deals...LOL

Anytime is a good time for Alaska.... Enjoy each moment and make memories no matter the weather...

I also sailed all three and the one to come .. Vancouver return. such beauty with land in sight most of the way.... and calm sailing as well.

As far as ships... first was princess, second was Royal (never never again), third was Celebrity and this year we are back to Celebrity... love the no smoking on this ship, food, service and overall quality.

I have been to Alaska three times... and going again sept 4th this year.

First time we went in Sept, second time again was sept and last time was May.

Yes the weather was awesome in May (end) and the second time in sept was a rainy time for sure... but the other time in sept was awesome. Praying this coming cruise will also be geat.

You have to remember that weather changes and if you are prepared it should not be a huge factor to enjoy the beauty of Alaska.

Also, in May we could not get as close to the glaciers at all.... the mountains were pretty with all the snow. Shopping did not have the great deals Sept has.

September has the best shopping due to close out sales.... never had trouble finding what we were looking for.... and did i mention the deals...LOL

Anytime is a good time for Alaska.... Enjoy each moment and make memories no matter the weather...

I also sailed all three and the one to come .. Vancouver return. such beauty with land in sight most of the way.... and calm sailing as well.

As far as ships... first was princess, second was Royal (never never again), third was Celebrity and this year we are back to Celebrity... love the no smoking on this ship, food, service and overall quality.

Shopping is not at all a priority for us. DH and I might get a little magnet or Christmas tree ornament, but we generally do not collect things. My parents might get a shirt or two, but they also are not big souvenir folks. What was your issue with Royal? I have basically ruled them out for this trip since they don't go to Glacier Bay, but they are my go to for the Caribbean. I am leaning heavily towards Princess because as of now, only Princess and NCL are in the running. DH and I do not appreciate smoking, and my mom absolutely hates it, so HAL is out based on other recommendations regarding the smoking. I went on NCL last time, but price was the driving force, and I felt like I spent more on specialty dining than I usually do on a cruise because I feel like NCL pushes people that way.

In May, the employees in the tourist areas are happy to see you. In September, they cannot wait to get rid of you. I vote for May.

Why do people write this??? I've made numerous trips in Sept, and found excellent, friendly service. You make it sound like, a light switch goes off with personalities and it's one grumpy, rude experience, with a big cloud hanging overhead.

Why do people write this??? I've made numerous trips in Sept, and found excellent, friendly service. You make it sound like, a light switch goes off with personalities and it's one grumpy, rude experience, with a big cloud hanging overhead.

I have worked in towns that are very dependent on seasonal tourism. I have seen it in many parts of the country.

In May, the employees in the tourist areas are happy to see you. In September, they cannot wait to get rid of you. I vote for May.

We didn't experience that at all. Everyone was very friendly and happy to accomodate us. I can't think of a single negative encounter in September. If you commonly experience that, maybe it's something you're saying or doing that invites it.

I have cruised in May and was very lucky with nice weather. September I think there is more of a chance for worse weather. However you can't count on weather one way or the other you just never know.

I have heard of ships not being able to get close to glaciers in May. Our ship didn't have this problem, but just something to think about.

In September in Southeast you do get to see the salmon runs which is pretty cool to see.

What about mid to late August? This is a very slow time for me at work, and in September, things start to pick up with events, and the same in May, quite busy with events until we get to the heavy summer tourist season.

Is there a big difference between doing northbound and southbound inside passage? I'm thinking, based on reading these boards, that a Princess cruise to or from Vancouver, visiting Glacier Bay, would suit us best, just not sure if there is any difference at all in which direction you go.

August might be good, if you want to take an excursion to see the Salmon run and bear viewing.

We chose the Southbound, Whittier to Vancouver.

There are some slight differences.

Southbound will, hopefully, see Hubbard Glacier, where the Northbound will cruise College Fjord.

Sailing Southbound from Whittier one can possibly see the College Fjord area by booking a pre-cruise boat tour from Whittier, before boarding the Princess ship.

Port times can also be a consideration.

The one thing that we kind of gave up when deciding to choose this Southbound cruise was a shorter port time at Juneau, with a 4:00p.m. departure. This does make a longer excursion from Juneau impossible.. So, you will want to look at port times and excursion options on both of these itineraries.

I am NOT an expert. Just an OCD planner. But, hope this helps!

My mom told me about three time in about a day and half's time that her boss said August is bad for flies, and I can assure you that once she has decided against something, it will be almost impossible to change her mind.

I haven't seen much of this although have heard many times from ship crew members that, by September, they are ready to get out of Alaska and head to their next adventure. It's never been negative though.

My mom told me about three time in about a day and half's time that her boss said August is bad for flies, and I can assure you that once she has decided against something, it will be almost impossible to change her mind.

Sorry, very inaccurate. Most cruise passengers don't experience any "bug" problems. IF you are going to an area that is likely- like some fly in bear tours, Wonder Lake at Denali- then it's pretty simple to just use Deep Woods off and get an ugly bug net from Walmart. Mid August and later, bug problems are usually over.

Don't tell your mother, that "boss", probably hasn't even been there in July or June either, and just as much bug potential then. Worse, if this claim is being made on a single trip?