Gluten free

Monido

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise. We will be sailing the southern Caribbean on Royal Caribbean's Jewel Of The Seas. I have celiac disease and am on a strict gluten free diet. Does anyone have any recommendations for eating gluten free while cruising? I am concerned about in the ports as well. We will be in San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, USVI; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados and St. George's, Grenada. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise. We will be sailing the southern Caribbean on Royal Caribbean's Jewel Of The Seas. I have celiac disease and am on a strict gluten free diet. Does anyone have any recommendations for eating gluten free while cruising? I am concerned about in the ports as well. We will be in San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, USVI; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados and St. George's, Grenada. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You should contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] so they can make appropriate accomodations for you. Royal is very good at meeting dietary needs.

All cruise lines are very accommodating with special needs diets.

On shore you would need to ask where ever you eat just as I am sure you do at home

Contact the special needs as suggested ASAP so they can have GF products onboard for you to eat

You have to be responsible for your diet. The ship will do there best to accommodate your needs. Ashore you are on your own.

Considering the food at various venues such as private beach clubs in Caribbean ports is heavy on bread and breading, I would pack a few pre-packaged gluten free snacks to take ashore with you just in case there is not much which is appropriate available. When you need a special diet, it is ALWAYS best to travel with some appropriate pre-packaged items as you just never know when you may encounter a travel delay or situation in which gluten free food is not available for several hours. Onboard the ship, you should not have a problem under normal circumstances, but on land, you just never know.

You have to be responsible for your diet. The ship will do there best to accommodate your needs. Ashore you are on your own.

I have traveled Europe with my best friend, who has celiac disease. She was already educated on what she could and could not eat. She researched ahead of time for restaurants that had gluten-free options. We'd look at menus before going into a restaurant. She never had a problem getting plenty of good food to eat (including LOTS of gelato at Grom). You will have to do the same thing. You certainly may contact the special services department to have your portfolio marked for "gluten-free". But, you then still have to talk to the Maitre' D if you are dining in the MDR, or talk to the specialty restaurant or buffet manager. At ports, knowing your basics on what you can and cannot eat will serve you well. Do a little "surfing the 'net" and use "gluten free restaurants <port name>" to find some possibilities. I just did "gluten free restaurants San juan" and had lots of possibilities pop up...

As others have mentioned, get in touch with special needs so that they are aware of your dietary needs before sailing.

My daughter (gluten intolerant) and son in law (tree nut allergies) sailed on Jewel last year for their honeymoon. They had enough options to feel more than satisfied. The dining room staff will usually give you the menu for the next evening so you can have something ready that is appropriate for you. Your best bet is the main dining room as the buffet gets a bit tough at times.

On land, you do need to be diligent, but again I am sure you will be just fine with a little preparation.

Tell the maître'd, the hostess and your waiter and his assistants. On one cruise we were on they even made gluten free bead of some sorts for a table mate.

When my husband had acid reflux he was given the next nights dinner to choose the next nights dinner. What ever he chose, they made sure there were no spices on his choice.

Special needs just said to tell the Maitre'd.

They will take care of you!

Edited by Bonnie J.

As others have mentioned, get in touch with special needs so that they are aware of your dietary needs before sailing.

My daughter (gluten intolerant) and son in law (tree nut allergies) sailed on Jewel last year for their honeymoon. They had enough options to feel more than satisfied. The dining room staff will usually give you the menu for the next evening so you can have something ready that is appropriate for you. Your best bet is the main dining room as the buffet gets a bit tough at times.

On land, you do need to be diligent, but again I am sure you will be just fine with a little preparation.

My wife is Gluten intolerant . Had no problem cruising . MDR and buffet where no problem.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You should contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] so they can make appropriate accomodations for you. Royal is very good at meeting dietary needs.

DD had the best vacation ever on Royal after recognizing she has celiac disease. In the Windjammer, you need to ask for a chef who will walk you through the buffet. In the MDR, they will bring you a menu every night to make choices for the next night. They went out of their way to make special desserts, had three kinds of bread nightly. There are gluten free rolls, Udi's cookies, two kinds of GF cupcakes in the Cupcake shop (if there is one on your ship) In the MDR at breakfast they had GF pancakes and french toast. We learned to carry cups out to the soft serve to avoid the cones. DD cut her hotdog in half and put it on a hamburg bun. They have Omission beer which I am told is the best GF beer, and they have ciders.

She also printed out cards from the Celiac foundation in every language for every port we were going to so she could hand it to the wait staff. No cross contamination was had!

Thank you for your advice and comments regarding past experiences, I feel like I will be in good hands on the ship. I will get some cards printed in the languages for various ports, thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

We went on Jewel February 2015 and my two celiacs ate like KINGS! Our waitstaff were super attentive and the chefs were accommodating. If you can, stick with the same section/table so you get the same staff in the MDR -we did, and we could stop explaining or reminding [emoji173]️. It was a fabulous first dining/cruise/GF experience.