TSA Global Entry

funship freddy

I applied for TSA Global Entry today. Anyone with experience on how long before I can expect completion of the process ??

Mine took approximately one month from the time I initially applied online, appeared in person at the TSA office at MIA, and then received my card.

I think I got the email telling me to set up my "interview" a week or so after turning in and paying for my application. It really depends on how far out they are with interview appointments. I was able to get mine about week after going online.

I received the approval on the spot at the interview and got my Known Traveler # right then. I added that number to all of my frequent flyer accounts that afternoon. You really don't need the actual card they send you -- but you need the # they assign you.

Best way to fly!

Ann

About seven to ten days after you applied on line you should receive a interim approval.

Next step is you have 30 days to make the interview. That is to schedule the interview but the actual interview does not have to take place within the 30 days.

Now in some places that is the challenge which is to be able to get an interview date. In our case we could not get one at our airport as they were always full so we made one for another airport.

The actual interview is very simple and takes about 14 minutes.

They will finger print you and take photos.

You will then receive your global cards about a week later and you just have to register them on line.

Keith

TSA PreCheck and Global Entry are 2 separate programs and fees, with 2 separate numbers, and 2 different interviews. GOES interviews seem to be at the airport, TSA interviews are conducted at private facilities. Both are easy and quick to do provided you are able to set up the interview quickly. And both rock!

Mine took approximately one month from the time I initially applied online, appeared in person at the TSA office at MIA, and then received my card.

Ours was about the same. We were initially approved with in a few days but had to schedule the interview. Depending on where you go for the interview it can be quick or far out.

Edited by KirkNC

TSA PreCheck and Global Entry are 2 separate programs and fees, with 2 separate numbers, and 2 different interviews. GOES interviews seem to be at the airport, TSA interviews are conducted at private facilities. Both are easy and quick to do provided you are able to set up the interview quickly. And both rock!

Odd, it's the opposite here in Cleveland. TSA is at the airport and GOES is offsite.

OP - if you're doing GOES, once you make your appointment, keep checking back to see if you can move it up. Mine was originally a month out but I was able to move it up almost three weeks.

Global Entry is not a TSA program, it's a U.S. Customs and Border Protection program. TSA PreCheck is another program.

I am in Las Vegas and both TSA and GE can be done at the airport at their respective offices. It depends on where you live and the airport near you. Some places will be off airport property.

Global Entry gets you TSA PreCheck all for $100 for 5 years. If you get PreCheck, which is $85 for 5 years, then decide later to get Global Entry this is where you would pay the seperate fee of $100. So Global Entry is the way to go for anyone considering international travel within 5 years. The GE card is not required for air travel as the information is electronically attached to your passport, however it is best to keep it on you when going on a cruise as some ports have GE signs which will lead you to expedited customs. Since these cruise ports don't have the kiosks (where you would scan passport) currently the card is your only proof. I got back from Oasis at PE in September, saw the GE sign and inquired and was led through a door that got me straight to a CBP Officer. No waiting, it was awesome!

So, for an extra $15 you get both programs and your KTN (Known Traveler Number) is the same for both programs. Make sure your KTN is added to your booking so TSA PreCheck is on your boarding pass when you check in. TSA PreCheck line at the airport will NOT accept your GE card. TSA PreCheck MUST be printed on your BP. Also, remember not all air carriers are part of the PreCheck program, for example Frontier. So regardless of your membership if you're not on one of the airlines in the program you will not be able to utilize PreCheck.

Edited by aussievc

So, for an extra $15 you get both programs and your KTN (Known Traveler Number) is the same for both programs. Make sure your KTN is added to your booking so TSA PreCheck is on your boarding pass when you check in. TSA PreCheck line at the airport will NOT accept your GE card. TSA PreCheck MUST be printed on your BP.

I learned this one the hard way. I just recently came back from Australia via LAX. TSA Pre was not printed on my second boarding pass from LAX but I figured no problem since I had already gone through security in Sydney. Unfortunately, when you exit customs at LAX, you exit outside meaning you must go through security to get to your connecting flight. I tried convincing the TSA reps I had TSA Pre, but no dice. The global entry at LAX was a breeze, though.

I learned this one the hard way. I just recently came back from Australia via LAX. TSA Pre was not printed on my second boarding pass from LAX but I figured no problem since I had already gone through security in Sydney. Unfortunately, when you exit customs at LAX, you exit outside meaning you must go through security to get to your connecting flight. I tried convincing the TSA reps I had TSA Pre, but no dice. The global entry at LAX was a breeze, though.

Were you definitely on a carrier that's part of the program for your domestic leg? Some people think all airlines are part of the program but that's not the case.

If you have time to see the airline agent sometimes they can enter your KTNumber and reprint BP. This doesn't always work but it can. I did it with Southwest and the reprinted BP showed PreCheck.

LAX makes going through the process worth every penny. That customs line is insane! I haven't really found it changes much on a cruise but I also haven't had to ever deal with really long what's when leaving either. Most cases I've been able to just walk off, grab a porter, and be out in 10-15mins.

For the original question I completed everything required and had my cards in my hand in 3 weeks start to finish. I can imagine this is really dependent on the area you live. Others that I know have completed the process in 3 1/2 & 4 3/4 weeks.

Our GOES interviews were not held at the Airport but at the USCBP office. When you are approved for GOES, TSA Pre-Check is one of the additional benefits with no additional charge.

Edited by cruisenfever

Unfortunately, when you exit customs at LAX, you exit outside meaning you must go through security to get to your connecting flight.

This is not unique to LAX; it's the same at any US airport: When arriving on an international flight (unless it's coming from select locations that clear customs pre-departure) you will go through immigration and customs at your first stop in the US, and since you have at that point had access to your checked luggage and any contraband that might be contained within, you must go through security. Any sometimes Pre simply isn't offered at the post-customs security checkpoint, so even if you're eligible for it you may have to go through regular screening.

Were you definitely on a carrier that's part of the program for your domestic leg? Some people think all airlines are part of the program but that's not the case.

If you have time to see the airline agent sometimes they can enter your KTNumber and reprint BP. This doesn't always work but it can. I did it with Southwest and the reprinted BP showed PreCheck.

Yes, American. We thought about getting boarding passes reprinted but the line to the American agents was too long. We just figured it wasn't worth it.

This is not unique to LAX; it's the same at any US airport: When arriving on an international flight (unless it's coming from select locations that clear customs pre-departure) you will go through immigration and customs at your first stop in the US, and since you have at that point had access to your checked luggage and any contraband that might be contained within, you must go through security. Any sometimes Pre simply isn't offered at the post-customs security checkpoint, so even if you're eligible for it you may have to go through regular screening.

Good to know. My memory must be failing because I don't remember having to go through security the last time I came back to the US which was through Chicago in 2014.

Just curious - what sort of questions come up during the interview session if you already answered all the questions on your application?

When we went for our interviews, we were asked the same questions that we answered on line particularly the countries that we visited.

When we went for our interviews, we were asked the same questions that we answered on line particularly the countries that we visited.

Thanks! I guess they want to see whether you sweat with the same questions. ;)

Thanks! I guess they want to see whether you sweat with the same questions. ;)

It was funny, because when the agent asked me about where I had been and what countries I had visited, I so wanted to say........"read my on-line answers"........but I didn't.:p

Do you need to list the countries you visited via cruise ship or just the ones you visited via air?

Do you need to list the countries you visited via cruise ship or just the ones you visited via air?

When we answered the questions on-line we put all countries that we have visited no matter how we got there.:p

EDIT TO ADD: I believe the question that is asked is "Which Countries have you visited in the past 5 years". They didn't specify how you arrived at each destination.

Edited by cruisenfever

When we answered the questions on-line we put all countries that we have visited no matter how we got there.:p

EDIT TO ADD: I believe the question that is asked is "Which Countries have you visited in the past 5 years". They didn't specify how you arrived at each destination.

Thanks I just filled this out and didn't list most of them. Guess I'll do it during the interrogation.

If you will use Boston Logan Airport for your GOES interview, plan on a long wait. I applied October 19 and didn't get an appointment on their interview schedule until February 19! 4 months wait is too long.