Quick Review Nieuw Amsterdam 2/21-28

mhb1757

Got back Sunday from delightful week in the Eastern Caribbean. We were a group of 6 in 2 cabins (1 Neptune Suite and 1 inside cabin). Ship was in excellent shape. Food and service in the MDR was very good I thought (better than anticipated given recent posts here). We had open dining and never waited to be seated. We had booked during the Dine Around promotion so had meals at Tamarind, Pinnacle and Canaletto. This was our first experience at Tamarind and it was a highlight of the week. Food and service were exceptional. Everyone of us loved everything we ordered. We had eaten at Canelleto on several other ships and while the meals weren't awful they weren't great either. This time we all really enjoyed it. It was the last night and it was pretty quiet but the service was very good and we enjoyed the dinner. DH and I shared the lemon artichoke pasta and the sea bass. Both were very good. The Pinnacle was a HUGE disappointment. It was hands down the worst meal of the trip. Shrimp cocktail was way over cooked and rubbery. We all ordered the "King crab legs". They were small, soggy, over cooked and totally devoid of flavor. Service was ridiculous. The 2 servers working our area could have made a Keystone Cops short. Food sat out for 10+ minutes before they could figure out which table to take it to, they brushed the crumbs into DH's lap, we had to ask 3 times to get water glasses refilled,etc.,etc. I was REALLY glad we hadn't paid for the meal. Won't be going back there anytime soon.

I am not a real Lido fan but the girls and DH ate lunch there most days and said it was good. I did eat at the Dive In twice and thought it was good love the chicken sandwich. And I did hit the waffle cone place a few times (ok, it was more than a few times...)

We had a 4 hour delay leaving Grand Turk because of a "medical emergency" Not really sure why a medical issue would cause that long of a delay but that's what they said. Made us late getting into San Juan. Not a big deal in the scheme of things. Otherwise things went like clockwork. Didn't use the Neptune Lounge as much as some trips but it never seemed very busy when we were up there. I did stop in early in the trip and ask for an extra room key so our 20 something DD's that were in the inside cabin could get in the room (we would sit on the balcony and would not hear them when they knocked). She very kindly made the key and then told me they were welcome to access the lounge with us anytime they wanted. Don't think they ever actually went in there but I thought it was nice of her to offer.

Went to a couple of shows that were good. Standard HAL fare. The violinist wasn't the greatest but there were always a lot of people listening so apparently most didn't mind. I am looking forward to the Lincoln Center Live programs. Think that will improve the classical music offerings considerably.

All in all it was another great HAL cruise. Did not experience any of the reported declines in service that others seem to have encountered recently.

Thank you for your review. It's great to read that you enjoyed the Canaletto and the Tamarind. We enjoyed both immensely this past December when we were on the NA. The service in the Tamarind is just superb.

Sorry to read your poor experience in the Pinnacle Grill. We are discovering that the more that we dine in the PG, the more that it is losing its shine. We find that the PG service can be very disappointing after experiencing the Tamarind.

We are keeping or fingers crossed for the Sel de Mer on the K'dam.

Thank you for your review, we are booked on the NA March 2027 and can't wait. I too am disappointed in your review of the Pinnacle Grill, I have always enjoyed dining there at least once per cruise. Hope things change in the Pinnacle before we sail next year......

Thanks also for the review of your recent cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I'm booked for the first time on this ship after being on several other HAL ships. As far as the Pinnacle Grill is concerned, I find their food on any ship not a good as years ago and did not book there this time around.

Please tell me more about the Lincoln Center Live programing - replacing the Adagio Duos?

Thanks for your nice report. And a shame there remains such inconsistency in the Pinnacle - limited menu, surcharge - how hard should it be to just put out a truly premium piece of meat, over and over again across the fleet?

Please tell me more about the Lincoln Center Live programing - replacing the Adagio Duos?

Thanks for your nice report. And a shame there remains such inconsistency in the Pinnacle - limited menu, surcharge - how hard should it be to just put out a truly premium piece of meat, over and over again across the fleet?

HAL is recruiting trios and quartets for the Lincoln Center Live programming. They are paying pretty well and looking for experienced professional musicians for much more ambitious classical programming.

I totally agree about the PG. Just shouldn't be that hard. Good news was the MDR service and food was much better than anticipated.