Grand Dining Room vs Specialty Restaurants

stromer

I will be on the Marina soon for the first time and can only make 3 pre cruise reservations in the Specialty restaurants. Thus, I will be eating in the Grand dining room (GDR) most of the time unless I want to eat at strange times in the others.

Question 1: Is the food in the GDR good enough vs the others or should I try to eat in the others because they are much superior? I know food is subjective and I have been happy with main dining room food on other cruise ships (Princess and Celebrity).

Question 2: How late is the Terrace Café open? Other cruise ship equivalents are open to 11:00 pm or so. I like to go out and get snacks later in the evening.

Thanks, Rick

Rick, I'm afraid you are going to be receiving so many differing answers that it will just be a puzzlement.

My husband and I actually prefer the GDR. That is because we like the VARIETY of offerings. The specialty restaurants have frozen menus. GDR does not. (And there is always the option of the buffet which is excessively good on its own.)

If you dine in the GDR you will have half a dozen offerings for entrees, 3-4 for soups, salads, hors d'oeurves, etc. There are also a few "always available" dishes in case you don't want something that is on the regular menu ... and they are also very good.

But just because WE prefer the GDR in general, that doesn't mean you won't hear from people who hate the GDR and insist on the specialties ... and if they can't get a specialty they will go to the buffet. (Not a bad backup option if you like steaks grilled to your choice.)

We've had some lemons in the GDR but we've also had some lemons in the specialties ... in general we enjoy the GDR, and we like the option of sharing a table with others. (Not everyone does but we find it a good way to meet others on the cruise ...)

By the way, you shouldn't assume that you'll have to dine at "strange times" if you get additional specialty reservations. Eat early or late is one way, sharing a table with others is another. Finding passengers with whom you would like to dine is yet another. They don't have to be "strange" times!

Mura

You absolutely can. DH has sometimes ordered two main courses ...

You can even ask for an appetizer portion of a main course if you wish.

Order what you wish, they will bring it to you.

Mura

You may as well get all sides of the issue. We do not care for the Terrace Café and are not big fans of the MDR. We dine in the specialty restaurants as often as humanly possible. We love the larger/newer ships very much - great service -- great food -- but only in the specialty restaurants. There will be a lot of disagreement but food is subjective. Yes - they serve lobster and sushi in the Terrace Café but it did not meet our quality expectations.

On the other hand, the Surf (lobster) and Turf (steak) burger/sandwich with truffle fries at Waves for lunch is amazing. To save calories, we get double surf - no bun or turf. Fries have no calories when you add truffles so that isn't a problem;)

Edited by Travelcat2

Which is exactly why, Travel Cat, that someone asking this kind of question will get any number of conflicting answers!

Because WE are less happy with the specialty restaurants (usually) than we are with the GDR or Terrace ... and many people, like you, have the opposite opinion. We traveled with a couple on the Black Sea cruise in August 2012 who would not set foot in the GDR because they had one disastrous meal.

As I recall their complaints were more about the service than the food. But they were so unhappy that they now insist on a specialty restaurant OR Terrace, which they like very much.

The OPs will just have to try out the various venues to see for themselves. No one is wrong in what they prefer ...

OP, I didn't notice anyone answering your question about closing time in Terrace. I believe that is 9:30, but we've been there around 9:00 when they started closing down. These are smaller ships so the restaurants do not stay open as late as some of the other lines. (No midnight buffet!)

There is always room service if you want a late night snack.

Mura

Mura

Marina specialty restaurants. I'm booked on the 4 and had the opportunity to look at menus...I love the appetizer and was wondering if I can order 2 and no soup nor salads.

We were in Red Ginger last month and were amazed as the lady at the next table ordered - three entrees, 3 mains and finally two desserts.

While you can do it, it would have been nice if the meals were eaten (even half) as a bite or two was taken and then pushed aside. This was not because the food was poor but simply she wanted to taste so many items:confused:

We loved all but one of our 4 specialty dinners. The one we didn't care for as much had to do with the entree. I was full by then anyway. The service was extremely slow that night.

Had excellent meals in the GDR. I believe that all meals would be good there because there are so many choices.

We did not like Terrace Cafe for any of the meals. Low variety, bland foods that never seemed to change. The salad bar was very limited, and the pizza undercooked. Before we cruised, I remember someone saying that we would be blown away with the good food and variety in Terrace Cafe. We were blown away alright...to anywhere but there! We also thought it too small an area for the buffet and it became very crowded.

We liked Waves Grill. For the surf and turf, I would order without the bun (and sometimes no fries. We never had the truffle fries.) I would eat the shrimp with the Romelaide sauce, and cut my turf up to add to a salad from the outdoor salad bar...basically just lettuce and blue cheese. Yum!

Edited by Iamthesea

Marina specialty restaurants. I'm booked on the 4 and had the opportunity to look at menus...I love the appetizer and was wondering if I can order 2 and no soup nor salads.

You are not forced to eat every course

we often have an Appy & the main course ...need to save room for dessert :D

order what you like

We prefer the GDR the meals have a lot of variety & some are different than the meals in the specialties ...if they were the same they would not be special

;)

The food in the Terrace is equally as good though there is not much of the self service like on other ships most things are served to you ...which we prefer

The dining closing hours are usually 9-9:30 but room service is 24/7 if you feel peckish at 2 am they will deliver ;)

We were in Red Ginger last month and were amazed as the lady at the next table ordered - three entrees, 3 mains and finally two desserts.

While you can do it, it would have been nice if the meals were eaten (even half) as a bite or two was taken and then pushed aside. This was not because the food was poor but simply she wanted to taste so many items:confused:

Not sure if that makes me sad, disgusted or both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wally_bushy View Post

While you can do it, it would have been nice if the meals were eaten (even half) as a bite or two was taken and then pushed aside. This was not because the food was poor but simply she wanted to taste so many items

Not sure if that makes me sad, disgusted or both.

Gluttony comes to mind. It may not be a sin but it is a shameful waste for sure.

Just because you are "allowed" to do it, it doesn't mean you should :(

On a recent 18 day Polynesia cruise on Marina we did the specialties about seven or eight times (including a much improved Red Ginger experience over last year), the MDR maybe twice and Terrace Café 7 or 8, especially when the evening weather was perfect for dining outside.

We really like the Terrace Café and have seldom not found at least a couple of terrific (and different) entrees each evening. I'd say that, on a really good night, it would compare to 2.5 star informal neighborhood restaurant here in SF (which is actually a decent rating by SF Chron. standards.

Ugh! I hate wastefulness (one of the reasons I've struggled with my weight my whole life). It would have been nice if she had asked if half portions or tastings were available.

The best thing about Oceania is the tremendous variety and quality of food styles. GDR menus are on a 14 day cycle and the specialties have very extensive, unique offerings.

We enjoy the specialties and the GDR almost equally. The variety of food styles is greatly appreciated and I never get bored with the meals. I'm less likely to overeat in the GDR verses the specialties.

We almost never have dinner in a buffet venue as I would rather be served hot food in the appropriate quantities by a waiter. I think Terrace Grill is excellent for breakfast and lunch and we have can't miss favorites to enjoy at Waves.

Dinner is excellent in all restaurants on board of Riviera and Marina. My least favorite restaurant is Jacques as we have better French restaurants here in Belgium. In fact, I like GDR the most because of its décor, atmosphere and grandeur. We always looked at the menu which is shown at the entrance. Only if none of the daily specials are appealing (which seldom happens), we will try Terrace. Me too like to be served on vacation.

Being a vegetarian, no animal flesh, I like to be able to see what I am going to get. Therefore, I enjoy the Terrace at night. The buffet has never let me down. It seems as though you can find whatever you want, especially now that the grill is there. In Polo, I order a salad, baked potato, and grilled mushrooms. Good enough for me. After all, it's not like we, the passengers, are starving. Will be on Sirena on April 27. Very excited.

Different strokes for different folks. One size does not fit all. It is what you like and we do not all like the same things. It is great that we have all these choices. Most ships do not.

Absolutely right. That's why it's so difficult to really answer such a question since none of us can know if the poser of the question has similar tastes to ours. All we can do is make personal recommendations ... I'm just not sure that's all that helpful.

Mura

We loved all but one of our 4 specialty dinners. The one we didn't care for as much had to do with the entree. I was full by then anyway. The service was extremely slow that night.

Had excellent meals in the GDR. I believe that all meals would be good there because there are so many choices.

We did not like Terrace Cafe for any of the meals. Low variety, bland foods that never seemed to change. The salad bar was very limited, and the pizza undercooked. Before we cruised, I remember someone saying that we would be blown away with the good food and variety in Terrace Cafe. We were blown away alright...to anywhere but there! We also thought it too small an area for the buffet and it became very crowded.

We liked Waves Grill. For the surf and turf, I would order without the bun (and sometimes no fries. We never had the truffle fries.) I would eat the shrimp with the Romelaide sauce, and cut my turf up to add to a salad from the outdoor salad bar...basically just lettuce and blue cheese. Yum!

Hi. I agree with you totally. GDR= great, specialties good also, Terrace= pretty ordinary and riddled with cilantro which is not my favorite. Surf and turf the very best lunch you can get. Didn't try the pizza, I didn't come on board for pizzà.

But I met many Aussies on board that loved the Terrace, and told me they didn't eat at the GDR because they "couldn't eat that much". Strange. I am a smallish eater and was fine. Horses for courses, it is.

Now, the Terrace food at night could be totally different than lunch. The only night we tried to eat in Terrace grill was the last night of our cruise when the GDR was closed. We ended up getting another sandwich from Waves because nothing looked appealing and it was SO crowded in the buffet area, and people waiting for tables, that we just turned around and left.

Now, the Terrace food at night could be totally different than lunch. The only night we tried to eat in Terrace grill was the last night of our cruise when the GDR was closed. We ended up getting another sandwich from Waves because nothing looked appealing and it was SO crowded in the buffet area, and people waiting for tables, that we just turned around and left.

Just curious as to why the GDR was closed:confused:

I have found good things about all the restaurants. That is the big plus with O, if you don't like one of the restaurants, there are plenty of other options; and all of them have something quite tasty to eat. We have never tried dinner at the Terrace, since the GDR is open seating. I would like to try it; but it is difficult to go to a buffet after a full day's touring, rather than being served in one of the other fine restaurants on board. To the OP, I am sure that you will find that you are quite pleased with wherever you eat on an O ship. If not, leave and go to a different restaurant.

Edited by MVPinBoynton