Recent photos of empress of the seas in dry dock

These are the areas I was thinking they could add balconies.

But honestly, I have no idea what actually happened that caused the delay. I think balconies should've been in the original plan anyway, but that's a different story. Maybe something non-cosmetic caused the delay, and they figured they'd add balconies since they now had the time? Seems very unlikely, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Maybe Scotty will come tell us[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

If they are actually adding balconies, which I highly doubt is true... Then people that haven't been cancelled yet, better be prepared. That's a huge scope of work difference. Good luck with that. Took my two cancelled cruises and switched to 7 night Oasis April 9th.

I wouldn't even think about empress anymore personally until she is already back doing revenue cruises. Who knows how long whatever it is that is going on will take. I can see many more p-o'd people in the near future.

If they are actually adding balconies, which I highly doubt is true... Then people that haven't been cancelled yet, better be prepared. That's a huge scope of work difference. Good luck with that. Took my two cancelled cruises and switched to 7 night Oasis April 9th.

I wouldn't even think about empress anymore personally until she is already back doing revenue cruises. Who knows how long whatever it is that is going on will take. I can see many more p-o'd people in the near future.

Royal added balconies to Legend and Splendour a few years ago. Not sure how long their dry docks were.

Yeah, never got that too. But actually she was sold not transferred... What means that there's no way back. It would be way more logical to sell the Empress or one of the ex-Celebrity twins of CDF, even Sovereign or Monarch... But no, they sold the Splendour... She wasn't even the older ship on Vision class!

One could think that her size was the matter (she is actually smaller than the Sovereign class ships), but they are taking back the Empress!

The only way I can see this move as logical is in a scenario in where TUI did one irrefutable offer. And go after her would make sense for Thomson since Splendour is well known in Europe...

I did read somewhere that TUI did assess 7 ships in the rci fleet (all 6 vision class and majesty) and they decided splendour was the one! Which as you say she is well known in Europe. I will add though don't be surprised in a year or two if legend joins her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Royal added balconies to Legend and Splendour a few years ago. Not sure how long their dry docks were.

I'm aware.

Have you seen the space in the OV cabins on Empress? As someone else previously stated.. you would have to move the bed out the way just to get around to a balcony door. Oh, or maybe they could just make all of the rooms have a nice fold out couch bed... that would make a balcony worth it right? lol

Just speculation here, but if they were to be adding balconies, they would need to widen the rooms, which would mean eliminating some all together. This would also mean a VERY long process. I wish cheng would comment on this, as he's the real expert.

I'm aware.

Have you seen the space in the OV cabins on Empress? As someone else previously stated.. you would have to move the bed out the way just to get around to a balcony door. Oh, or maybe they could just make all of the rooms have a nice fold out couch bed... that would make a balcony worth it right? lol

Just speculation here, but if they were to be adding balconies, they would need to widen the rooms, which would mean eliminating some all together. This would also mean a VERY long process. I wish cheng would comment on this, as he's the real expert.

I hadn't realized the width of the OV rooms. Definitely a problem, and IMO, sort of eliminates the possibility of adding balconies as far as I'm concerned (despite the fact that I would love some balconies!).

I'm aware.

This work would also mean the bridge wings would need extending also. All this would have been done at the beginning. There are all rumours floating around. The crew don't seem too aware of the situation either they're being told every day the ship might leave the next day, every day. I think the only people that seem to know exactly what the plan is, is the project team and head office.

This work would also mean the bridge wings would need extending also. All this would have been done at the beginning. There are all rumours floating around. The crew don't seem too aware of the situation either they're being told every day the ship might leave the next day, every day. I think the only people that seem to know exactly what the plan is, is the project team and head office.

And Scotty.

Isn't it just sad what they (RCCL) have done here, and now they have handled this? I'm pretty loyal but this has all literally made me sick though. SO many people affected with little to no care shown by them.

Isn't it just sad what they (RCCL) have done here, and now they have handled this? I'm pretty loyal but this has all literally made me sick though. SO many people affected with little to no care shown by them.

I feel for these people for a lot of people they will be happy with the alternatives offered but for all the others it's seriously appealing how they have been treated. Many this was a once in a lifetime experience ruined.

Not sure. My point was that I don't want to pay extra for a Junior "Suite" just because it has a balcony. I'd rather just pay for a balcony cabin.

I was just thinking they might all be JS cabins when it's all done. ;). That is how it is on Her Majesty.

Do we really know they are adding balconies anyway?

Edited by John&LaLa

Anyone think the President's announcement today about cruise ship to Cuba might have ANYTHING to do with this?

No.

The Carnival cruises were planned and bookings taken on the ASSUMPTION that the approvals would come through in time.

They have. :)

No.

The Carnival cruises were planned and bookings taken on the ASSUMPTION that the approvals would come through in time.

They have. :)

Yup.. Carnival has been approved and will sail starting in May. I can't imagine that RCCL will be far behind.

Wonder how many people cruises on Empress will be a "cancel or go to Cuba now" option.

Yup.. Carnival has been approved and will sail starting in May. I can't imagine that RCCL will be far behind.

Wonder how many people cruises on Empress will be a "cancel or go to Cuba now" option.

But the cruises are still limited to "cultural exchange" cruises, with limited or no free excursion or sightseeing time ashore.