do we have to check luggage to board on Carnival Ecstasy or can we carry it all?

Girlsmom

I am terrified of losing my luggage; Do i have to leave bags before boarding or can i carry it all on with me?

It depends on the size of your bags, some people take a carry on size and a back pack. Anything bigger than carry on size will need to be checked.:D

It has to fit through a typical airport style x-ray machine for you to carry it on. Keep in mind, however, that your cabin may not be ready for an hour or more after you get onboard. This means you will have to lug your suitcase, any carry-on, etc. while navigating the ship.

Although I am sure it has happened, I have not read of anyone reporting their luggage was permanently lost after leaving it with the porters. Sometimes they may get misdirected to a different cabin but they eventually arrive at the right spot. Besides the cruise line luggage tag, I always have my own luggage tag on the outside, and my name, address, phone number, cabin number and ship name, and any pre and post cruise hotel names/addresses inside the suitcase.

Keep it close to carry on size and you will be fine....we have carried on for years.....but pack pretty lightly.....one thread describing luggage sinking to the bottom was enough for me....I don't wear sequins or fringe so could not replenish from the cruise shops and carry medical stuff I only trust in my sight...

It has to fit through a typical airport style x-ray machine for you to carry it on. Keep in mind, however, that your cabin may not be ready for an hour or more after you get onboard. This means you will have to lug your suitcase, any carry-on, etc. while navigating the ship.

Although I am sure it has happened, I have not read of anyone reporting their luggage was permanently lost after leaving it with the porters. Sometimes they may get misdirected to a different cabin but they eventually arrive at the right spot. Besides the cruise line luggage tag, I always have my own luggage tag on the outside, and my name, address, phone number, cabin number and ship name, and any pre and post cruise hotel names/addresses inside the suitcase.

It's very rare that one's luggage doesn't get on board, but a couple of times have had a suitcase not get to my destination when flying (one time we switched to an earlier flight and one time our luggage was taken off at the stopover most likely because I was traveling with my mother who was being a real pain at the check in counter). Both times on my return flights and both times I got my suitcase a day later.

But I wouldn't recommend putting your address on any luggage tag. Just put your name, cell phone number, and your destination on tags and the full info on the inside of the suitcase. For complicated trips, I've often will make labels with one location (eg. the hotel) -- enough for each piece of luggage, and follow up labels for the next legs. Then when we get to each place, cover the tags with the new label.

For large luggage that you would check in on the airline I would check in and for items that you would carry on I would take with you.

Be sure that valuables and medications are with you at all times and that you take them onto the ship and off with you.

Keith

You may want to rethink putting a home address outside or inside of a piece of luggage. Phone number/e-mail is plenty.

Not that it happens often but there have been notable incidents of theft rings where airport personnel inform confederates of where you live and that you are away.

Keep in mind this is a cruise ship at a port, not an airplane at a terminal. When you're at an airport, your luggage goes from place to place, and from plane to plane along with dozens of other passengers/planes from different companies.

When you're on a boat, there's most likely only 1 boat at your port at a time, and 1 company dealing with everything, and no transfers. Before they boat leaves they will make sure all luggage is at least on the boat. It may take longer to get your luggage but you will at least know it's on the boat with you.

Terrified...that's a pretty strong word. Have you had a piece of luggage lost in the past and it permanently scarred you? Keep in mind if you board with all your bags, and your cabin isn't ready, you'll have to keep it with you and haul it around. Why bother? You'll also have to keep it with you in line in the terminal.

Roz

Terrified...that's a pretty strong word. Have you had a piece of luggage lost in the past and it permanently scarred you? Keep in mind if you board with all your bags, and your cabin isn't ready, you'll have to keep it with you and haul it around. Why bother? You'll also have to keep it with you in line in the terminal.

Roz

Yes!! Definitely scarred by lost luggage in airplane travel!:(

Haven't ever cruised so I am very glad to hear it's much less likely to lose luggage cruising than flying!!!

As others have said.......your cabin will not be ready until 1:30 so anything you bring on you will be dragging around until then.

Over the years I have learned to only keep a small carryon with bare essentials and valuables with me because lugging around a bunch of stuff gets very old, very quickly.

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

As others have said.......your cabin will not be ready until 1:30 so anything you bring on you will be dragging around until then.

Over the years I have learned to only keep a small carryon with bare essentials and valuables with me because lugging around a bunch of stuff gets very old, very quickly.

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Keep any meds in the carry on as well.:D